Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:43 AM

Nigerian Nurses To Work For 2 Years Before They Can Practice Abroad - NMC - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigerian Nurses To Work For 2 Years Before They Can Practice Abroad - NMC (16998 Views)

UK Nurses To Hold First Strike In History Over Salary Increment / FG Begs Doctors, Nurses To Remain In Nigeria / Six Nigerian Nurses Arrive At UK Hospital (Picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Nurses To Work For 2 Years Before They Can Practice Abroad - NMC by Anashe: 5:23pm On Feb 08
nlfpmod:

https://nairametrics.com/2024/02/08/nigerian-nurses-must-work-for-2-years-post-qualification-before-they-can-practice-abroad-nmc/

Are they going to be paid the equivalent of what they could earn abroad or this is just another policy to worsen the conditions and standard of living in Nigeria?
Re: Nigerian Nurses To Work For 2 Years Before They Can Practice Abroad - NMC by panpan(m): 5:25pm On Feb 08
These rules will discourage the study of nursing and midwifery in Nigeria.
These conditions will encourage slavery in the employment of nurses and midwives.
Re: Nigerian Nurses To Work For 2 Years Before They Can Practice Abroad - NMC by Kingson28: 5:26pm On Feb 08
[quote author=Lifebender post=128355310]

Thanks chief.
Been trying to create a similar thread.

However,we say NO to this horrendous reform.It is tantamount to modern day slavery.
After spending 4-7 years with rigorous practice,without breaks during semesters in Nigeria,plus the exorbitant fees we had to pay during our training.We deserve better.
Do you know some nurses are offered 30k monthly salary? after spending millions in schools and for professional exams.

We need your voice and support.

If working in Nigeria for just two years is too much, why then study in Nigeria?
Just apply to study Nursing in the country you wish to Japa to. Simple.
Re: Nigerian Nurses To Work For 2 Years Before They Can Practice Abroad - NMC by Lifebender(m): 5:26pm On Feb 08
ogbonti:

You are the nuisance here- Okoro listen to me- I may not be a nurse but I have 3 doctors and 5 nirses from my immediate and extended family all practicing here in the USA- make i shock you? half of them gor their degrees from the carribean- amd they never went to Nigeria to register any bu ll shhhi tttt they came to the USA pass their exams and became medicals

I didnt hear or aee them go to Nigeria to tegiater anything - that degree they got from the Carribean was enough for them to write their cerification exams and start life here amd they were nor even US citizens then

stop talking BS and making a fo ool of your old age online agbaya

You have them as relatives in the US,and you're talking to a nurse who resides in Nigeria how it works in his profession?
How would you feel if I start telling you how it works in your profession based on say I have a relative in the same field?
It is one thing to not know a thing and be willing to learn,it is another to be ignorant and still be arrogant about it.
I don't have your energy.
I don't have to start boasting how many health practitioners I have as siblings.
But don't tell me how it works in my profession.

I'll be nice this time,I won't go easy on you next time.
Be good sir.
Re: Nigerian Nurses To Work For 2 Years Before They Can Practice Abroad - NMC by DigitalJobs: 5:26pm On Feb 08
Health Practitioners Should Only Be Allowed To Go Practice To Gain More Experience Abroad.

However, There should be policies to ensure that they return to utilize their experiences to improve the healthcare systems of Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Nurses To Work For 2 Years Before They Can Practice Abroad - NMC by Donchieli: 5:26pm On Feb 08
Yes, people in places of authority or power in Nigeria tend to leave the actual problems and tend to things of no significance

But then I dnt blame them, I blame the masses the people are the one's with the real power, yet for a slice of bread we throw away our birthright like Esaw

Only to start crying fowl after the deed has been done

And still repeat the same thing four years later

Nigerians biggest problem is Nigerians, scared of change, scared of new ideas, scared of the unknown, so we keep recycling and rebrand the same old vomits we call leaders

U hear petty talks like, make we kuku manage these ones wer we know, that one we never try am b4, we no knw, wetin he fit do

But they forget the phrase, "WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW CAN'T KILL YOU" Nigeria is a pity

We vote and put people in places of power and authority out of pity, familiarization and religious affiliation, knowing fully well they can't perform

Tueh on this country

nervorum:

Rather than attempt to fix the root cause they are applying band aid. They can make it 10years, the brain drain still persists until drivers of the phenomenon are addressed
Re: Nigerian Nurses To Work For 2 Years Before They Can Practice Abroad - NMC by Lifebender(m): 5:28pm On Feb 08
[quote author=Kingson28 post=128356255][/quote]

Going by this logic,nobody should school in Nigeria then.
Cos Microbiologist,economist,lawyers are leaving too immediately after the completion of their programme.
Re: Nigerian Nurses To Work For 2 Years Before They Can Practice Abroad - NMC by SweetBuns(f): 5:36pm On Feb 08
wethebest:
The day u chose to be a nurse or doctor, u took the same oath security personnels took to save lives in sweet and worse condition. No leave, no transfer. If to work as doctor and nurse abroad dey hungry u, Go sch dere and remain dere. U can't b getting cheap medical certification frm a country u re not willing to serve. They should make it 10 years sef.
Just day play
I will leave this country and nothing will stop me
Re: Nigerian Nurses To Work For 2 Years Before They Can Practice Abroad - NMC by Kingson28: 5:37pm On Feb 08
Lifebender:

Going by this logic,nobody should school in Nigeria then.
Cos Microbiologist,economist,lawyers are leaving too immediately after the completion of their programme.

The FG should make it mandatory across board.
You can’t school cheaply in Federal Government funded and subsidized higher institutions and then rush abroad to make money.
It’s being ungrateful.
If you want to earn dollars after school, then pay dollars as school fees.
Simple.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nurses To Work For 2 Years Before They Can Practice Abroad - NMC by NICOGRAVITY: 5:38pm On Feb 08
If the conditions of employment and renumeration are favourable, no Nurse would want to mograte.
Can our Federal and State governments and Local government build hospitals with modern facilities .
Put infrastructure in place and see Nigerian become a health tourist centre for the world.
Re: Nigerian Nurses To Work For 2 Years Before They Can Practice Abroad - NMC by Johnholt909: 5:49pm On Feb 08
SweetBuns:

Just day play
I will leave this country and nothing will stop me
Hahaha. Are you a nurse?
Re: Nigerian Nurses To Work For 2 Years Before They Can Practice Abroad - NMC by Greenfusion: 5:55pm On Feb 08
thesicilian:
Instead of making working conditions conducive and attractive for the citizens to stay and work, they want to tie them down with ropes and chains.
They would find a way, if people can leave their big jobs to run, wetin dem nor fit do.....
Re: Nigerian Nurses To Work For 2 Years Before They Can Practice Abroad - NMC by happney65: 6:00pm On Feb 08
Lifebender:

I think I asked a question sir.Whichnyoyve dodged.
So lemme reiterate it again.
Is it only health workers that are trained with subsidized education?
If not,Why then should it be only health workers that should be stopped from migrating?
2.What about those that attended private institution,foreign university?
Is it subsidized too? Cos I will tell you I have individuals schooling in Niger,Benin,Togo,Ghana,Ukraine and they have to come back for professional licensure.Now is their education subsidized too?
If you can provide intelligent answers to this sir and not dodge it again,you'll forever have my respect.

I didn't dodge your questions. I might have ommitted it while trying to reply

Health they say is wealth. Right now we are having the highest emigration of our health workers abroad. With some wards almost being closed down

Note. We do not have shortage of other professionals as we have the health sector right now and that is a FACT.

So for that reason I believe government should as a matter of fact do something urgent

If you have subsided education in government tertiary institutions mostly federal you ain't going no where till you give back to that society that gave you that education which is yours for life.

Note. Remember I said it above in my first post that this should be for students who attended government schools. I said private Schools are and should be exempted because they paid through their noses for their education there

E.G. Nursing in leadcity university is about 2Million naira per session. You can't pay 2M for Medicine and surgery for tuition fee throughout your 7years at UI for Medicine

A whole 7years.

So you see now?
Re: Nigerian Nurses To Work For 2 Years Before They Can Practice Abroad - NMC by lordprogress: 6:07pm On Feb 08
Uyi168:
Yeye PCN go wan follow suit..
angry
Lol our own strict na even if you get license here he nor count for there like nursing own o.
You go write like 5 exam and do internship program before you go fit practice outside o.
Re: Nigerian Nurses To Work For 2 Years Before They Can Practice Abroad - NMC by lordprogress: 6:18pm On Feb 08
Backlinker01:
It is more like the country keeps training nurses at cheaper costs only for our nurses to be used for another country while our health system is left comatose.
This is my problem with people like you, if they stay will your government give them job, you keep crying that the health workers are leaving the country for greener pastures but you keep saying the health system is in comatose when it's your government fault.
In 1 of the FMC where I am serving, I heard you need to bring 1.5m to get employment there, just imagine the country you are talking about.
Re: Nigerian Nurses To Work For 2 Years Before They Can Practice Abroad - NMC by Uyi168: 6:18pm On Feb 08
lordprogress:

Lol our own strict na even if you get license here he nor count for there like nursing own o.
You go write like 5 exam and do internship program before you go fit practice outside o.

I swear.
The process long nor be small..
Re: Nigerian Nurses To Work For 2 Years Before They Can Practice Abroad - NMC by lordprogress: 6:20pm On Feb 08
Uyi168:

I swear.
The process long nor be small..
I dey consider am o but the money nor be here o unless you get better sponsor because those registration na money too.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nurses To Work For 2 Years Before They Can Practice Abroad - NMC by Lifebender(m): 6:28pm On Feb 08
happney65:

I didn't dodge your questions. I might have ommitted it while trying to reply

Health they say is wealth. Right now we are having the highest emigration of our health workers abroad. With some wards almost being closed down

Note. We do not have shortage of other professionals as we have the health sector right now and that is a FACT.

So for that reason I believe government should as a matter of fact do something urgent

If you have subsided education in government tertiary institutions mostly federal you ain't going no where till you give back to that society that gave you that education which is yours for life.

Note. Remember I said it above in my first post that this should be for students who attended government schools. I said private Schools are and should be exempted because they paid through their noses for their education there

E.G. Nursing in leadcity university is about 2Million naira per session. You can't pay 2M for Medicine and surgery for tuition fee throughout your 7years at UI for Medicine

A whole 7years.

So you see now?

Now lemme clarify somethings sir.
1. Nigeria is never short of nurses.
Never.

I finished from OAU,dept of nursing which produces above 100 nurses annually.Now we have OUI in Ife,Adeleke university,redeemers,fountain amongst others who produces nurses too.
Totalling of nurses should not be less than 500 annually.
In addition,we have different school of nursing e.g Seventh day adventist SON Ife,OAUTHCSON, Wesley guild SON,state SON oshogbo an a lot more. I don't want to use Ogun state cos you and I know they have the highest no of institutions.
Now the total nurses churned out in osun cannot be less than 1000 annually.
Now,how many gets employed into govt services annually? 0.
The last time OAUTHC employed nurses was in 2022.Guess what,they only employed 180And the 180 they employed have not been paid till date.Before then,employment was probably around 2015, Jonathan's time.
So Nigeria is never short of nurses.
Plus Nigeria health sector cannot accommodate the numbers of health care practitioners it churns out annually.Weather you like it or not.Rheur is no provision for healthcare practitioner.
What if I told you we have jobless nurses?
Or you think everyone nurse out there is employed.Yeah,we have them a lot,and we have forums where we search jobs just like others.I have so many colleagues,we finished together and till date they are yet to get internship placement.
Now sir,they are never short of nurses.The question is do they even make provisions to accommodate these nurses?
I know nurses in Ife that gets paid 40k.
40k,after paying for so many exams.
Don't let me talk about the exams.
What the university gave me is a degree as a nurse,not the RN certificate which is the basis.
Our RN is just like ICAN exam for economist and accountants. It's not conferred by the university.

It's because their is opportunity to leave this country,that's why you don't get to hear the other side.Cos we don't talk about it enough.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Nurses To Work For 2 Years Before They Can Practice Abroad - NMC by Uyi168: 6:28pm On Feb 08
lordprogress:

I dey consider am o but the money nor be here o unless you get better sponsor because those registration na money too.
Na to gather money.

Pharmacy practice for this country na nonsense..
Re: Nigerian Nurses To Work For 2 Years Before They Can Practice Abroad - NMC by jojothaiv(m): 6:31pm On Feb 08
Offpoint1:
If y'all start acting well... No Nigeria will want to move out of the country.
They forget that part so easily.

If the life in the country was a bit fair, many wouldn't have jump ship..
Re: Nigerian Nurses To Work For 2 Years Before They Can Practice Abroad - NMC by ogbonti: 6:51pm On Feb 08
Lifebender:

You have them as relatives in the US,and you're talking to a nurse who resides in Nigeria how it works in his profession?
How would you feel if I start telling you how it works in your profession based on say I have a relative in the same field?
It is one thing to not know a thing and be willing to learn,it is another to be ignorant and still be arrogant about it.
I don't have your energy.
I don't have to start boasting how many health practitioners I have as siblings.
But don't tell me how it works in my profession.

I'll be nice this time,I won't go easy on you next time.
Be good sir.

na 5 years wey is suggest dey make u para like this ? guy bring it on anytime - wahala no dey taya me - e dey make me fine grin
Re: Nigerian Nurses To Work For 2 Years Before They Can Practice Abroad - NMC by Weknowbetter: 7:02pm On Feb 08
All this patriotism, but leaving as fast as they can. Good! Stay in Nigeria and work on reform
Re: Nigerian Nurses To Work For 2 Years Before They Can Practice Abroad - NMC by xtravanganza: 7:08pm On Feb 08
Turning working class to slaves. That's a new low from APShit
Re: Nigerian Nurses To Work For 2 Years Before They Can Practice Abroad - NMC by COMPAQ(m): 7:25pm On Feb 08
Re: Nigerian Nurses To Work For 2 Years Before They Can Practice Abroad - NMC by honesttalk21: 7:26pm On Feb 08
Interesting. How free is free will and freedom to associate? Did they have their nursing education fees sibsidised or they were outright sponsored?

International politics of labour but is there a sincere act to protect the health of Nigeria's citizens within the country? Does this mean medical tourism has been stopped?
Re: Nigerian Nurses To Work For 2 Years Before They Can Practice Abroad - NMC by OlujobaSamuel: 7:58pm On Feb 08
The only issue I have with this is the 6months verification period, wetin Dem dey verify
Re: Nigerian Nurses To Work For 2 Years Before They Can Practice Abroad - NMC by Acidosis(m): 8:12pm On Feb 08
cococandy:

Why didn’t you take the same oath?

abi na 🤣🤣

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nurses To Work For 2 Years Before They Can Practice Abroad - NMC by folake4u(f): 8:17pm On Feb 08
cococandy:

Why didn’t you take the same oath?

Good question. 🤣🤣🤣

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Nurses To Work For 2 Years Before They Can Practice Abroad - NMC by ukaface(f): 8:56pm On Feb 08
Omo
Assuming say God no help me to japa, I for just enter depression.
NMCN can frustrate sha, na so them frustrate person just for licence.

I pray God makes it an easy landing for my younger professional colleagues back in Nigeria

Nigeria is not worth it
Even the masses don’t make it easy for a nurse, everyone assumes you are rude and a prostitute….smh

Now make I see whether the doctor-nurse marriage go Dey happen
Re: Nigerian Nurses To Work For 2 Years Before They Can Practice Abroad - NMC by chieni(f): 9:08pm On Feb 08
post=128355323:
We thought that has always been in place and that is what the employer abroad require.
You can't just finish nursing school and immediately take the next flight abroad to start working with no experience.
They won't allow you make you come kill dem citizens nah,
You sef think am.

Our Research from Experience Nurses in 'the abroad'.....

Educational / Professional

In order to seek work as a foreign-educated nurse, you must demonstrate at least some of the following:

You graduated from an accredited nursing education program in your country of education
You are licensed as a Registered Nurse in another country
You’ve practiced as a Registered Nurse for at least two years before.
Some foreign educated nurses must demonstrate their proficiency with the English language by taking an exam such as the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic). There are exemptions depending on your country of origin

Their experience during NYSC and housemanship makes it two years. All of this is just a tactics to prevent them from relocating abroad. They know the right thing to do. Make it better for people to stay back.
Re: Nigerian Nurses To Work For 2 Years Before They Can Practice Abroad - NMC by chieni(f): 9:11pm On Feb 08
Raphael81:
Our healthcare is in shambles and has gone into coma, this is a ploy to stop nurses from seeking Greener pastures, why won't our healthcare practitioners run away when nothing is working in this country? They should also enact laws prohibiting political office holders from going abroad for medical reasons. We are not a serious country as our laws are made to suffocate the poor and the elites feed fat at the expense of the poor.
exactly!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

23 Health Benefits Of Moringa Leaf Powder / 10 Advantages Of Being Pregnant / Is There Another Way To Eliminate Pregnancy Besides Abortion ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.