Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,988 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:00 AM

I Want To Retaliate Against My Landlord In Lagos - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / I Want To Retaliate Against My Landlord In Lagos (287 Views)

My Landlord And I / My Landlord Sneaks Into My Apartment / Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Retaliate Against My Landlord In Lagos by PaulH07: 9:31pm On Feb 09
Rented a room self contained paying #1.1million, only for the woman that stands for the Landlord to write a receipt of 11months.

I challenged her concerning this and she was saying that is the way the Landlord wants it and that she too rented for someone in the building and that's what everyone got.

I told her it's not done anywhere and after several shouting, she changed it to reflect 12months.

Afterwards there was a pipe in my kitchen they were yet to fix and have been complaining to them gently ever since I came in, that they should fix it, but they were always stalling, until the day they pumped water into the house- cos it's a new house, and the water flooded my room, soaked about a quarter of my 12.5kg bag of rice I was given at work, soaked my books, and spoilt them.

This got me very angry and thundering on them to come and fix it, which they did, but the stupid woman was busy telling me to calm down.

Fast forward to a few days later, my NEPA unit got exhausted and I told the guys to help me buy power cos that's how they always do it, and they kept stalling, despite telling them I got things in my fridge that could get spoilt. I had bought #14,500 goat meat, and cooked it. I couldn't eat more than 2pieces out of it before everything got spoilt.

I told the woman again, and she was telling me to calm down again, after which I blasted her, and she replied me saying I should not talk to her anyhow oh, that how much did I even pay, that they can still refund me oh!

This got me so annoyed I told her to do that, and she was saying I should pack out first!

I told her to out this in writing and she said I must pack out first! I told her I'll be getting my full payment, apart from the 1month I'd spent, inclusive of my agency fees, to which she said I'm joking, that is she my agent? This was despite me sending the money at once into an account. I then made her know that she'll be hearing from my lawyers, which she called my bluff, telling her she got better things to do with her time, and that I should stop disturbing her.

Unfortunately my lawyer friend told me there was actually nothing that could be done, as the agency fees is actually non-refundable and I had to suck it in angrily. I initially decided when I leave, I'll destroy all the tiles in the room, and defecate on the floor and run away, but I realized that could land me in trouble legally.

Now there's a light in my toilet they're yet to put there since I moved in, and have been disturbing them since to come and fix, but till date, 2months after they're still yet to fix it, always dribbling me, waiting until another disaster happens and I change it for them.

I even called the electrician and he was raising his voice on me, that I should call the facility manager.

Called him several times, and he wouldn't pick. This is after they've fixed other people's stuffs in their houses, because those ones gave them extra jobs to do, and they could make some extra cash, thus they've been playing me, and not fixing things I paid my money for in the rent since I moved in.

They have caused me great distress in this house and I decided not to even paint or do anything in the house, but I must also find a way to make them feel pain too.

I have decided to stay beyond my time in the house intentionally, as I got to know Lagos State laws gives one a 6months grace before one is thrown out.

Please people I'll like to know how I can achieve this successfully.

I chose to spend my life savings on this house to make my shuttling to work easier, and make me more effective at it, but all I've got to show is pain and my work suffering as a result.

Please nairaland lawyers help me on how to avenge myself on these wicked people I beg you in the name of God embarassed cry
Re: I Want To Retaliate Against My Landlord In Lagos by Prec1ous(m): 9:44pm On Feb 09
As annoying as this may sound.

What you did not get before packing into a Lagos house will eventually be sorted by you from your pocket.

Next time, if you want them to fix a pipe or put a bulb tell them to do it just before payment or after paying before you move, else you do it yourself.

A out overstaying, consult your lawyer friend again for directions. But whatever the case, make your home conducive and do the necessary.

Damn paint the place and make the fixes for yourself, you don't want to be living like this this. This is home, your main escape from the struggles of life.

Cheers!

4 Likes

Re: I Want To Retaliate Against My Landlord In Lagos by Houseontherock1: 10:00pm On Feb 09
Fix whatever you can afford to fix from your pocket, buy electricity units by yourself and move on with your life because you need some level of peace and comfort in your house. As for the 6 months, it's not rent free...but the landlord can't forcefully eject you till the 6 months lapse. It's bad of the landlord but your lawyer is right- they won't refund your agency and agreement fees. You can take the rest of your money and move on as well

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Retaliate Against My Landlord In Lagos by PaulH07: 10:14pm On Feb 09
Houseontherock1:
Fix whatever you can afford to fix from your pocket, buy electricity units by yourself and move on with your life because you need some level of peace and comfort in your house. As for the 6 months, it's not rent free...but the landlord can't forcefully eject you till the 6 months lapse. It's bad of the landlord but your lawyer is right- they won't refund your agency and agreement fees. You can take the rest of your money and move on as well

Do you mean I'll still pay the rent after 6months?
Re: I Want To Retaliate Against My Landlord In Lagos by PaulH07: 10:19pm On Feb 09
Prec1ous:
As annoying as this may sound.

What you did not get before packing into a Lagos house will eventually be sorted by you from your pocket.

Next time, if you want them to fix a pipe or put a bulb tell them to do it just before payment or after paying before you move, else you do it yourself.

A out overstaying, consult your lawyer friend again for directions. But whatever the case, make your home conducive and do the necessary.

Damn paint the place and make the fixes for yourself, you don't want to be living like this this. This is home, your main escape from the struggles of life.

Cheers!

As for this, with the way things have gone south, and with her saying "they can refund my money" I doubt she won't convince the landlord not to refuse allowing me to renew my rent.

So it really won't make sense beautifying a house myself, and doing everything for the landlord to enjoy and give another tenant after a year.

They'll meet their house in the exact condition they left it for me.

I'm already saving the money I'll have spent on beautifying the house in dollars.

The necessities is what I'll do, so in a way, they're even helping me to be prudent.

300k for AC money, 60k for painting all saved in dollars.

But they must feel my own pain small too.
Re: I Want To Retaliate Against My Landlord In Lagos by garriAndsugar: 10:23pm On Feb 09
You cannot stay free 6 months in Lagos, once your rent expires and you don't move out or renew you will pay for it.

As for your case, you can either move out now and lose the agency and agreement money or fix the place yourself so you can live comfortably

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Retaliate Against My Landlord In Lagos by PaulH07: 10:26pm On Feb 09
garriAndsugar:
You cannot stay free 6 months in Lagos, once your rent expires and you don't move out or renew you will pay for it.

As for your case, you can either move out now and lose the agency and agreement money or fix the place yourself so you can live comfortably

Like how, are you saying I'll still pay for the 6months quit notice?
Re: I Want To Retaliate Against My Landlord In Lagos by PaulH07: 10:31pm On Feb 09
Might not really spend the whole 6months, maybe just chop like 1 or 2months for free to serve as payback for what they did to me
Re: I Want To Retaliate Against My Landlord In Lagos by Homeboiy: 10:50pm On Feb 09
I no de Lagos

I no get idea
Re: I Want To Retaliate Against My Landlord In Lagos by Houseontherock1: 6:04am On Feb 10
PaulH07:

If the landlord refuses to renew your tenancy for another year and he gives you quit notice, you can stay in the house for 6 more months to look for another apartment but you will pay for the 6 months. It's better to just look for another place before the one year expires if you have no intention of renewing your rent

1 Like

Re: I Want To Retaliate Against My Landlord In Lagos by garriAndsugar: 6:51am On Feb 10
PaulH07:

Like how, are you saying I'll still pay for the 6months quit notice?
They will actually give you the quit notice once your rent gets to 6 months so that as it gets to 1year it's complete.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Retaliate Against My Landlord In Lagos by carl90(m): 8:25am On Feb 10
If you have the money,it is best you just go rent another place.Of course,you may have stayed out the rent you paid.If you don't have the money to rent another place,you can simply tell the landord that you have been reassigned by your company to another part of town.That is a valid reason not to renew.
Re: I Want To Retaliate Against My Landlord In Lagos by 2special(m): 9:12am On Feb 10
PaulH07:

Yes, even your lawyer will tell you the truth that you're paying for the 6 months
Re: I Want To Retaliate Against My Landlord In Lagos by PaulH07: 9:27am On Feb 10
Houseontherock1:

If the landlord refuses to renew your tenancy for another year and he gives you quit notice, you can stay in the house for 6 more months to look for another apartment but you will pay for the 6 months. It's better to just look for another place before the one year expires if you have no intention of renewing your rent

What if I refuse to pay for the 6months rent?
Re: I Want To Retaliate Against My Landlord In Lagos by ceasare: 10:09am On Feb 10
OP there is no where in Lagos state law that says you will live rent free for 6months
No b build house for the landlord and don't be deceive by naysayers

Ur best bet is repair d fixes pass d bil to d landlord for refund or be deducted from ur subsequent rent if u are renewing

If u r not renewing when u r 6months into ur rent start looking for somewhere else to relocate.if d landlord is a stubborn person he will get justice for months spent after expiration of ur rent and get ur belongings confiscated by the court and dispose for him to get his rent.

Nothing u want to do with wahala.if u r not down with d house js leave or see ur rent through and move on.
Note :there is a new law in d works in Lagos to dispense landlord/tenant issues in a month or thereabout.so u cant spend six months and vanish into thin air before justice is dispensed

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Retaliate Against My Landlord In Lagos by carl90(m): 11:17am On Feb 10
Well communicated !

It is issues like this that should make government look into monthly payment or quarterly payment of house rent in all states of the country.
These yearly payment of house rent can be used by the landlord to take advantage of tenants.
You pay that annual rent and the landlord and family would turn to some oppressor.
They will be on their toes if tenants pay monthly or quarterly.

ceasare:
OP there is no where in Lagos state law that says you will live rent free for 6months
No b build house for the landlord and don't be deceive by naysayers

Ur best bet is repair d fixes pass d bil to d landlord for refund or be deducted from ur subsequent rent if u are renewing

If u r not renewing when u r 6months into ur rent start looking for somewhere else to relocate.if d landlord is a stubborn person he will get justice for months spent after expiration of ur rent and get ur belongings confiscated by the court and dispose for him to get his rent.

Nothing u want to do with wahala.if u r not down with d house js leave or see ur rent through and move on.
Note :there is a new law in d works in Lagos to dispense landlord/tenant issues in a month or thereabout.so u cant spend six months and vanish into thin air before justice is dispensed

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Buy A Plot Of Land With Just #500k In STERLINGHOMESLTD / 5 Bedroom Duplex + Bq+ Gov. Consent For Sale @ajah-ado Road-60m-call08034339615 / Nnpc Branded Filling Station/ Garden 2,202 Sqm, 5 Tanks, 4,500 Litres. Along Kud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.