Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,378 members, 7,819,376 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:07 PM

Tinubu’s Abrupt Subsidy Removal Caused Hardship – Sagay - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu’s Abrupt Subsidy Removal Caused Hardship – Sagay (16970 Views)

Governor Ododo Committed Criminal Offence By Aiding Yahaya Bello’s Escape -Sagay / Your Policies Caused Hardship, Worsening Insecurity – PDP Slams Tinubu / US Visit: Atiku Has Disqualified Himself From Presidential Race – Sagay (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tinubu’s Abrupt Subsidy Removal Caused Hardship – Sagay by sulaak(m): 10:34am On Feb 10
Mandate1:
Nigerians are hungry, you dey speak grammar.

They should be angry and not hungry.
Re: Tinubu’s Abrupt Subsidy Removal Caused Hardship – Sagay by ufotunang: 10:34am On Feb 10
Nigerians should had just allow PDP to continue governing the country...it was not as bad like this during PDP time, era

1 Like

Re: Tinubu’s Abrupt Subsidy Removal Caused Hardship – Sagay by nesphil(m): 10:43am On Feb 10
No dis man been dey work with the failure called buhari

Is he not part of those who ill-advise Buhari.

amoreobansu:

https://dailytrust.com/tinubus-abrupt-subsidy-removal-caused-hardship-sagay/
Re: Tinubu’s Abrupt Subsidy Removal Caused Hardship – Sagay by bitingcool: 11:14am On Feb 10
matify83:
After deriding the decisions of Asiwaju in removing petroleum subsidy hastily which has come with the attendant worsening of living conditions, the summary of discuss is that with the caliber of people running the economy, we will be out of the woods soon.

I also share in his optimism. What we are going through can be described as "birth pangs" which in due course will deliver lasting dividends if we do not abort the trajectory or stifle it to cause a stillbirth.

Debriding a putrid system must come with some pain even with anesthesia which will wear off at some point.

see Grammer they once used to fool people. this one never wake. this birth pang/ trajectory lamba don cast tey tey. Putrid system with 8 years of APC in power, let me laugh in a way that mocks you. cheesy grin grin grin

what caliber of people are taking you out of the woods? directionless fo.ols whose only focus is on how to loot the system, queue to welcome a druggie whichever way of the compass he alights in the airport. keep deceiving yourself. at the end of the day you sigh in regret of truth you cannot blurt out.

make I laugh again at your caliber of peoplebringingyou out from the woods!!! grin grin grin

no be only woods, na rivers
Re: Tinubu’s Abrupt Subsidy Removal Caused Hardship – Sagay by Thinktwicemybro: 11:40am On Feb 10
matify83:
After deriding the decisions of Asiwaju in removing petroleum subsidy hastily which has come with the attendant worsening of living conditions, the summary of discuss is that with the caliber of people running the economy, we will be out of the woods soon.

I also share in his optimism. What we are going through can be described as "birth pangs" which in due course will deliver lasting dividends if we do not abort the trajectory or stifle it to cause a stillbirth.

Debriding a putrid system must come with some pain even with anesthesia which will wear off at some point.
Abeg shut up
Re: Tinubu’s Abrupt Subsidy Removal Caused Hardship – Sagay by Itzteewhy(m): 12:04pm On Feb 10
Racoon:
The balabloo-blu-bulava druggie and certificate forger used every corrupt means know to humanity to get to the presidency. He once said nah statistics we go chop. Guess he now unders better that the economy runs on that?

Being itchy and twitchy while being moved by white heroin is not sagacity. Meanwhile, who has noticed that his regular zombies here have long gone deaf and dumb. Shege promax has dazed them.

Lol check my previous post you would I mentioned that grin grin the hardship has come knocking on their doors. BATstards!! People wey be say they would be the one to first comment now I barely see their comments.

I just can't fathom how people with clear mind, they are conscious not dead! They went to school not illiterate!! They see how development is going all around the world! And when compare to our Nation for the past 60yrs it is nothing towl write home about.

Yet they still want to made us believe that the current crops of leaders are the best that happened to us after slice bread. is that madness?? How long can we keep at it??

It is not that we are that are wailing have a personal or selfish gains.. it is for the collective good of the nation and generations to come if we elect a competent leadership across sectors.

But no they are hell bent on selling and mortgage their futures just for 30k!!! And the funny thing is that the naira they are being paid is getting useless every seconds lol.

Oloriburiku bastards that do not have mind of their own!

Spits on their generations!
Re: Tinubu’s Abrupt Subsidy Removal Caused Hardship – Sagay by siaco(m): 2:34pm On Feb 10
Okoroawusa:

And in all these your bad prayers for your country because your own choice didn't win the election you think it's Tinubu that will be affected?

E no better for that your "divine power". My own divine power is bigger than your divine power. If your divine power was powerful Tinubu wouldn't have been president.

E pain you right? Truth must be told.
Your Tinubu is a failure because he did not get the majority mandate, he bribed himself to presidency.

Let me tell you if you get people's mandate by merit, surely divine power will accompany your political power, believe it or not it is what it is.
Re: Tinubu’s Abrupt Subsidy Removal Caused Hardship – Sagay by ade4real2016: 4:16pm On Feb 10
Very certain that his filthy n bigoted wailers will not put their damn brain in d gear to see with their eyes...This is what ya get if ya chose not to renege in ya stubbornness.... Little by little they say a bird makes it nest...This is why he's academic credentials have been subject of controversy n condemnation....He must realize we have terrorism n banditry that ravaged d entire north where major food items come from...
Re: Tinubu’s Abrupt Subsidy Removal Caused Hardship – Sagay by budaatum: 4:28pm On Feb 10
coleon:

Stop spitting nonsense, refineries worked in this country and I grew up buying Nigeria fuel in my dad's car. I don't expect a genz to know that anyway. Infact I went on excursion to warri refinery and I saw petroleum being refined live from the catalytic cracker.

Some people went to Temitope Joshua and saw him raise dead people too, but the fact you assume my gen kind of makes me not accept your word for it.

Fact is, if our refineries produced the petrol we require, we would not have been subsidising petrol importation as we've done for decades now.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu’s Abrupt Subsidy Removal Caused Hardship – Sagay by redsun(m): 4:28pm On Feb 10
Things actually became three times more difficult in Nigeria the day he was sworn in. Because I recall, the petrol my friend bought for #200+ the day before he was sworn in became #600+ the day he was sworn in, and the ripple effect is like an uncontrollable avalanche.

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu’s Abrupt Subsidy Removal Caused Hardship – Sagay by budaatum: 5:09pm On Feb 10
lexy2014:

how did Tinubu not have a choice in the matter when to remove subsidy?

I said I doubt he had a choice. Nigeria had already accepted and spent money from donors to help alleviate the expected subsidy removal, so it would have been odd to renege on a deal.

Besides, as said, I would have not laid a brick for my refinery without an agreement on subsidy removal, because government subsidy will not pay back my invested funds plus profit, and if it did, Nigerians would lynch me.

lexy2014:
how has Nigeria fared better so far?
Odd question this.

Please know that I did not build my refinery so that Nigeria you could feel better. I built my refinery because I saw an opportunity in the Nigeria market to make money and increase my wealth.

Hopefully, when I am wealthier from selling petrol, I might invest my wealth in saying "let there be uninterrupted light in Nigeria". But trust me when I say even that is so I can sell that light to Nigerians at an unsubsidised price so my wealth increases further.

lexy2014:
how many investors have built refineries or indicated interest in building refineries because subsidy has been removed?
Not many, I suppose, since not everyone is brave enough to make the investment agreements Dangote made, or seen the opportunity Dangote saw, or has the connection Dangote has, or even have the knowledge to build a refinery like Dangote has done.

It's after all not likely that you'd find lots of Dangotes in most countries.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu’s Abrupt Subsidy Removal Caused Hardship – Sagay by 234GT(m): 5:40pm On Feb 10
nairalanda1:

Yeah, I have been supporting this thing since 2011. SO, go meet a real APC supporter.

Grow up, child.

Yes grandpa.....
Re: Tinubu’s Abrupt Subsidy Removal Caused Hardship – Sagay by nairalanda1(m): 5:43pm On Feb 10
234GT:

Yes grandpa.....

NO, seriously, grow up, child.

Just because someone does not think the way you are does not mean they support tinubu.

GO and read about subsidies and why they are damaging, then we can talk.

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu’s Abrupt Subsidy Removal Caused Hardship – Sagay by lexy2014: 6:10pm On Feb 10
budaatum:

I said I doubt he had a choice. Nigeria had already accepted and spent money from donors to help alleviate the expected subsidy removal, so it would have been odd to renege on a deal.

Besides, as said, I would have not laid a brick for my refinery without an agreement on subsidy removal, because government subsidy will not pay back my invested funds plus profit, and if it did, Nigerians would lynch me.

Odd question this.

Please know that I did not build my refinery so that Nigeria you could feel better. I built my refinery because I saw an opportunity in the Nigeria market to make money and increase my wealth.

Hopefully, when I am wealthier from selling petrol, I might invest my wealth in saying "let there be uninterrupted light in Nigeria". But trust me when I say even that is so I can sell that light to Nigerians at an unsubsidised price so my wealth increases further.

Not many, I suppose, since not everyone is brave enough to make the investment agreements Dangote made, or seen the opportunity Dangote saw, or has the connection Dangote has, or even have the knowledge to build a refinery like Dangote has done.

1. if you said you doubt he had a choice, how is that different from "he didnt have a choice"?

2. which money from donors to help alleviate the expected subsidy removal did Nigeria accept and spend?

3. which deal are you saying it would have been odd to renege?

4. how does that answer my question...how did Tinubu not have a choice in the matter when to remove subsidy?

5. how is this question "how has Nigeria fared better so far?" an odd question?

6. who asked you about refinery and what has that got to do with the question I asked?

7. is it refinery that removed subsidy?
Re: Tinubu’s Abrupt Subsidy Removal Caused Hardship – Sagay by 234GT(m): 8:20pm On Feb 10
nairalanda1:

Just because someone does not think the way you are does not mean they support tinubu.

Yes grandpa, the all-knowing grandpa...just that all your writeups on nairaland does not change the fact that people are suffering really bad......

Enjoy your weekend grandpa.......
Re: Tinubu’s Abrupt Subsidy Removal Caused Hardship – Sagay by budaatum: 9:07pm On Feb 10
lexy2014:

1. if you said you doubt he had a choice, how is that different from "he didnt have a choice"?

2. which money from donors to help alleviate the expected subsidy removal did Nigeria accept and spend?

4. how does that answer my question...how did Tinubu not have a choice in the matter when to remove subsidy?

6. who asked you about refinery and what has that got to do with the question I asked?

Are you paying for all this or do you just feel entitled to my time I wonder.
Re: Tinubu’s Abrupt Subsidy Removal Caused Hardship – Sagay by lexy2014: 10:00pm On Feb 10
budaatum:

Are you paying for all this or do you just feel entitled to my time I wonder.

did you pay for my time before you made these claims or you felt entitled to my attention?

budaatum:

Odd question this.

Re: Tinubu’s Abrupt Subsidy Removal Caused Hardship – Sagay by omohayek: 11:24pm On Feb 10
nairalanda1:

I have to hand it to you for even trying. Seeing the lack of even a hint of intelligence in all of the angry replies you get makes me despair for Nigeria as a country. How can one expect progress for a country with so many citizens who couple a bloated sense of entitlement with outlandish rudeness and wilful ignorance? It's not as if what passes for "intellectuals" in this country are any better, given the complete lack of comprehension of even basic economics and finance amongst the whole lot of them (e.g. empty barrels like Farooq Pkerogi).

I commend you for trying to inform people who have no desire to have any of their prejudices undermined, but personally I've reached a point where I can't justify any more effort. None of the people attacking you will change their minds no matter how many facts or how much reason you might confront them with. Most Nairalanders (and most Nigerians) are, frankly, of low intelligence and even lower curiosity, content to substitute tribalism, religious bigotry and conspiracy-mongering for even the slightest mental effort, especially if it might contradict their worldviews.

3 Likes

Re: Tinubu’s Abrupt Subsidy Removal Caused Hardship – Sagay by uba1991: 12:56am On Feb 11
Alexis11:
Abrupt removal is the best way to remove it. Making so much noise about it before removal will only make it worse.
it is not about making noise. Tactically removing it in phases will not affect the people like this one. Buhari was tactically removing it but no one felt what we are feeling now. How can you remove subsidy on your inauguration day without settling down in office to understand the impact it will cause? Tinubu was very wrong in that.
Secondly, you cannot remove subsidy and also float naira at the same time. Tinubu don't have a team.
Re: Tinubu’s Abrupt Subsidy Removal Caused Hardship – Sagay by nairalanda1(m): 6:40am On Feb 11
234GT:

Yes grandpa, the all-knowing grandpa...just that all your writeups on nairaland does not change the fact that people are suffering really bad......

Enjoy your weekend grandpa.......

Well, well, I have tried.

The truth of the matter is, subsides have been tried for over 40 years, and in that time, we have lost 4 refineries.

Our northern neighbour NIger has a refinery, has oil which it uses for the refinery, and has never had subsidy, and god knows they are poorer than us (so poor that a salary that is horrible for NIgerians is paradise for NIgeriens). Yet, their refinery works because they don't pay subsides.

Truth is, my eyes were opened in 2011. Before , I was like you, then in 2011, I saw reason. I have been seeing reason since.

But since you want to remain blind, I leave you in your blindness. (Not the real blindness, your blindness to learning).

Good morning, beautiful woman.
Re: Tinubu’s Abrupt Subsidy Removal Caused Hardship – Sagay by gabbytabby: 6:47am On Feb 11
My brother what they have been talking about for over 12 years as a necessity come be abrupt only that with the benefit of hindsight it should not have been followed so closely by the fx adjustment.

It is absolutely critical that they assist in bringing down food prices by distributing this to grassroots as palliatives through LG and CDA and through religious centres and anyone that steals the food or hoards it should be subject to community ridicule.

By singing oju ole re ole. There should be clear instructions that the food needs to be moved on within a month.

amoreobansu:

https://dailytrust.com/tinubus-abrupt-subsidy-removal-caused-hardship-sagay/
Re: Tinubu’s Abrupt Subsidy Removal Caused Hardship – Sagay by budaatum: 10:11am On Feb 11
lexy2014:

did you pay for my time before you made these claims or you felt entitled to my attention?

They are not claims but mere opinions. I would not have included the phrase "I doubt" if they were claims.

Perhaps bother to learn to read and comprehend before voltroning down my throat.
Re: Tinubu’s Abrupt Subsidy Removal Caused Hardship – Sagay by lexy2014: 10:15am On Feb 11
budaatum:

They are not claims but mere opinions. I would not have included the phrase "I doubt" if they were claims.

Perhaps bother to learn to read and comprehend before voltroning down my throat.

it still does not answer my questions. did you pay for my time before you made them or you felt entitled to my attention?

budaatum:

Odd question this.

meanwhile, you have not answered the following

Re: Tinubu’s Abrupt Subsidy Removal Caused Hardship – Sagay by CodeTemplar: 12:24pm On Feb 11
nairalanda1:
I can see a lot of people suddenly calling for return of subsidy back to where fuel costs N200 or under. Aparently it would make us all happy.

FIrst off, subsidy has not gone, it has been partially removed, and even then, the cost of subsidy being paid is far more than what we paid in 2022...and fuel was below N200 then...because at the end of the day, the naira value had not fallen down. We bring back subsidy, we could be spending above 30 trillion per annum in the next 1 year...

Second, our debt was eating over 90% of our revenue, which meant we were borrowing and paying for subsidy with borrowing indirectly...and this was at May 29 2023. All the three main candidates knew that, which is why they were all saying subsidy must go.

As harsh as I sound, if we want economic progress, one of the things we gotta do in addition to diversificaiton and fighting corruption really...is subsidy removal. Because as has been said earlier, no one wants to build refinery and then sell petrol at subsidised price. It would kill the refinery. A lot of people come and make fun of the refinery Obi commisioned that did not produce fuel...well, at the end, would you produce fuel above 100 naira as it was then, and then sell it at N97 then? That is why that obi refinery is not working. And I betcha the owner has lost a lot of money.

The sad thing is that most of us don't know how bad we are, instead we talk about fighting corruption...and getting money back. WE SHOULD DO THAT...No argument...but if we got all the loot back, what would we do when we have finished spending the loot on the subsidy and other things? Wahala go start.

All I know is, we bring back subsidy, we would be in serious problem in a few years...to the point that the WB and IMF would be running our government. You won't like it.
before Tinubu we bought it at approx $0.5 official rate.

Today it is approximately $0.5 official rate.

The only thing we have achieved is floating of naira.
Re: Tinubu’s Abrupt Subsidy Removal Caused Hardship – Sagay by budaatum: 4:59pm On Feb 11
lexy2014:

It is my opinion that he did not have a choice, and my opinion does not in any way make claim to be facts.

lexy2014:
$800 million relief package from the World Bank for starts.

lexy2014:
An agreement I would have made that you remove subsidy before I build my refinery.

lexy2014:
Considering he's likely spent the money World Bank gave him and Nigeria, I doubt he could have reneged without needing to pay it back. And that's apart from the agreement I expect would have been entered for its removal.

lexy2014:
I never said Nigeria should fare better because of it. In fact, I said I did not build my refinery for you to fair better, but so I can make lots of money and be richer.

lexy2014:
All your questions really have nothing to do with anything really, but I found some time so bothered.

lexy2014:
Do refineries remove subsidies?

1 Like

Re: Tinubu’s Abrupt Subsidy Removal Caused Hardship – Sagay by lexy2014: 6:21pm On Feb 11
budaatum:

It is my opinion that he did not have a choice, and m opinion does not in any way make claim to be facts.

$800 million relief package from the World Bank for starts.

An agreement I would have made that you remove subsidy before I build my refinery.

Considering he's likely spent the money World Bank gave him and Nigeria, I doubt he could have reneged without needing to pay it back. And that's apart from the agreement I expect would have been entered for its removal.

I never said Nigeria should fare better because of it. In fact, I said I did not build my refinery for you to fare better, but so I can make lots of money and be richer.

All your questions really have nothing to do with anything really, but I found some time so bothered.

Do refineries remove subsidies?

how does this comment "It is my opinion that he did not have a choice, and m opinion does not in any way make claim to be facts" answer this question:

2. was the $800m an offer from the world bank?
you said "for starts". what are the others?

you claimed that Nigeria "accepted" money from donors? who are the donors?

3. this where you brought "deal" into the discussion
budaatum:

Nigeria had already accepted and spent money from donors to help alleviate the expected subsidy removal, so it would have been odd to renege on a deal

how is that related to this
budaatum:

how is your later comment on building your refinery related to your earlier claim that Nigeria accepted money from donors and that there is a deal not be reneged on as a result of money accepted from donors?

4. did Tinubu receive this $800m from the world bank before he removed subsidy or after subsidy was removed?

is there any evidence of any agreement entered into between Tinubu and world bank that you say you expected as a condition for the removal of subsidy?

when was this agreement entered into and where?

5. but according to you
budaatum:

Hardship? I wonder what he'd say when other subsidies are removed, like the subsidy to employers of labour that distorts wages called Youth Corp!

so since subsidy has been removed, how has Nigeria fared better?

6. is it refinery that removed subsidy?

7. when I asked you "how many investors have built refineries or indicated interest in building refineries because subsidy has been removed?" you said
budaatum:

how come you earlier said that
budaatum:
I can't see anyone investing ₦10b+ building a refinery without first making sure they can sell at market price, which is higher than subsidised price. Investors aren't usually that stupid with their money.

why is that there are "not many" investors who have built refineries or indicated interests in building refineries because subsidy was removed?

if they are "not many", that means they are few. can you mention those have indicated such interests?
Re: Tinubu’s Abrupt Subsidy Removal Caused Hardship – Sagay by budaatum: 3:24pm On Feb 12
lexy2014:

how does this comment "It is my opinion that he did not have a choice, and m opinion does not in any way make claim to be facts" answer this question:...

I guess you need to apply some brain work to figure it out instead of demanding I spoon feed you.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu’s Abrupt Subsidy Removal Caused Hardship – Sagay by lexy2014: 3:29pm On Feb 12
budaatum:

I guess you need to apply some brain work to figure it out instead of demanding I spoon feed you.

spoon feeding others is a function of if you have spoon fed yourself and if you have the ability to do so.

since you have the ability to apply brain work, then you should have no issues answering these questions.

how does this comment "It is my opinion that he did not have a choice, and m opinion does not in any way make claim to be facts" answer this question:

2. was the $800m an offer from the world bank?
you said "for starts". what are the others?

you claimed that Nigeria "accepted" money from donors? who are the donors?

3. this where you brought "deal" into the discussion
budaatum:

Nigeria had already accepted and spent money from donors to help alleviate the expected subsidy removal, so it would have been odd to renege on a deal

how is that related to this
budaatum:

how is your later comment on building your refinery related to your earlier claim that Nigeria accepted money from donors and that there is a deal not be reneged on as a result of money accepted from donors?

4. did Tinubu receive this $800m from the world bank before he removed subsidy or after subsidy was removed?

is there any evidence of any agreement entered into between Tinubu and world bank that you say you expected as a condition for the removal of subsidy?

when was this agreement entered into and where?

5. but according to you
budaatum:

Hardship? I wonder what he'd say when other subsidies are removed, like the subsidy to employers of labour that distorts wages called Youth Corp!

so since subsidy has been removed, how has Nigeria fared better?

6. is it refinery that removed subsidy?

7. when I asked you "how many investors have built refineries or indicated interest in building refineries because subsidy has been removed?" you said
budaatum:

how come you earlier said that
budaatum:
I can't see anyone investing ₦10b+ building a refinery without first making sure they can sell at market price, which is higher than subsidised price. Investors aren't usually that stupid with their money.

why is that there are "not many" investors who have built refineries or indicated interests in building refineries because subsidy was removed?

if they are "not many", that means they are few. can you mention those have indicated such interests?
Re: Tinubu’s Abrupt Subsidy Removal Caused Hardship – Sagay by budaatum: 8:55pm On Feb 12
lexy2014:

it still does not answer my questions. did you pay for my time before you made them or you felt entitled to my attention?

If you can't understand the difference between me doubting he had a choice, and your "he didnt have a choice", I doubt you could comprehend anything else I have to say. Regardless, I am under no obligation to entertain or educate you.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu’s Abrupt Subsidy Removal Caused Hardship – Sagay by lexy2014: 9:00pm On Feb 12
budaatum:

If you can't understand the difference between me doubting he had a choice, and your "he didnt have a choice", I doubt you could comprehend anything else I have to say. Regardless, I am under no obligation to entertain or educate you.

its because you can comprehend hence these questions.

did you pay for my time before you made them or you felt entitled to my attention?

budaatum:

Odd question this.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Marafa: Some Angry Governors Plotting To Replace Oshiomhole With Yari / Peter Obi Holds Town Hall Meeting With Ondo State Students (Pictures) / I Paid WAEC Fees For Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba Students In Lagos — Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.