Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,680 members, 7,831,108 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:47 PM

Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie (3309 Views)

Thespian Nozy: What Doctors Removed From The Stomach Of A Nigerian Comedian / Tyler Perry Is Gay!!! Shocking News! / Tyler Perry And AY The Comedian Collaberate To Produce A Movie-see Location Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by iice(f): 4:08am On Nov 11, 2011
anonymous6:

They cater to the majority of Americans which is white Americans

Sorry but this is not so.  Most current oscar winners and nominated ones are European or not from America and rightly so for they are the better actors.  Not saying that Americans don't win but in this age (continuous performance) only Jack Nicholson and probably Tom Hanks (Caprio has yet to win an oscar) have been able to keep up with the actors of the 40s in terms of nominations and wins.  I would have thought the influx of great non american actors would inspire american actors but that's not the case.  I'm not complaining though.  Granted the oscars lean towards certain movie roles and types. . .they throw in once a while a wild card like Denzel for training day or Sylvester Stallone for   However it cannot be denied that it's the top honor to receive in the movie industry.  Not even the BAFTAs hold the same weight as the Oscars.  It affects the sales of movies, the pull of audience and sometimes luring renowned directors and producers.  The Oscars are a bit tricky.  Sometimes the role you're sure will bring one the oscar doesn't but another role not as solid as the former would give one the oscar.  Case in point, Christian Bale's win for The fighter.  When he could have won for American Psycho or The Machinist.

There was a lot of noise when the superheroes movies starting coming out.  Of all of them, only Captain America has an American Actor.  Not even Superman is portrayed by an American.  And i'm glad.  I've always said not many american actors have the depth or range of european actors.  Maybe it has something to do with their training undecided

When it comes to the black actors/actresses.  I even have less interest. For most of them are below mediocre.  Some seem to be on the right path and then all of a sudden fall down the drain.  I'm not a fan of actresses so i'm not even bowled over by Halle, frankly she has yet to prove to me why she won that oscar.  Denzel on the other hand is a consummate actor.  In any film whether blockbuster or never been heard, he has always maintained same intensity, same delivery.  Next to him Don Cheadle is my man.  Have loved him since he did a little TV movie in '96 called Rebound.  I'm still waiting for him to get his oscar and darn glad he hasn't gone down the drain.
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by anonymous6(f): 4:20am On Nov 11, 2011
iice:

Sorry but this is not so.  Most current oscar winners and nominated ones are European or not from America and rightly so for they are the better actors.  Not saying that Americans don't win but in this age (continuous performance) only Jack Nicholson and probably Tom Hanks (Caprio has yet to win an oscar) have been able to keep up with the actors of the 40s in terms of nominations and wins.  I would have thought the influx of great non american actors would inspire american actors but that's not the case.  I'm not complaining though.  Granted the oscars lean towards certain movie roles and types. . .they throw in once a while a wild card like Denzel for training day or Sylvester Stallone for   However it cannot be denied that it's the top honor to receive in the movie industry.  Not even the BAFTAs hold the same weight as the Oscars.  It affects the sales of movies, the pull of audience and sometimes luring renowned directors and producers.  The Oscars are a bit tricky.  Sometimes the role you're sure will bring one the oscar doesn't but another role not as solid as the former would give one the oscar.  Case in point, Christian Bale's win for The fighter.  When he could have won for American Psycho or The Machinist.

There was a lot of noise when the superheroes movies starting coming out.  Of all of them, only Captain America has an American Actor.  Not even Superman is portrayed by an American.  And i'm glad.  I've always said not many american actors have the depth or range of european actors.  Maybe it has something to do with their training undecided

When it comes to the black actors/actresses.  I even have less interest. For most of them are below mediocre.  Some seem to be on the right path and then all of a sudden fall down the drain.  I'm not a fan of actresses so i'm not even bowled over by H[b]alle, frankly she has yet to prove to me why she won that oscar.  Denzel on the other hand is a consummate actor.  In any film whether blockbuster or never been heard, he has always maintained same intensity, same delivery.  Next to him Don Cheadle is my man.  Have loved him since he did a little TV movie in '96 called Rebound.  I'm still waiting for him to get his oscar and darn glad he hasn't gone down the drain.
[/b]

I meant Hollywood; When it comes to Hollywood they do cater their movies for the majority which is white people in America, but that also includes whites of other nationalities; I am not really talking about the oscars because they don't run Hollywood but you are right many white people winning are non-american, Colin firth won the Kings speech this year, Christain Bale did win a oscar this year as well, and many others.

Come to think about it I find it weird that most winners in the Oscars are European, not American. I am not mad because when  Europeans act they are in a whole different level

You are right European actors/actresses are much better and it isn't a issue for me as well; for the last part of your comment I am behind you, Halle's movie was not my cup of tea she is a good actress but that movie was  lipsrsealed but Denzel is a excellent actor, that was his destiny. I forgot About Don Cheadle, thank you for bringing him up smiley

I also hope Don cheadle wins a Oscar in the future he deserves it, there is something about him that reminds me of a hot african dude
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by iice(f): 4:58am On Nov 11, 2011
I understand.

I don't think the movies cater to just whites. That would either mean, they have too much happening to come up with such stories or that we the blacks are too structured and nothing but same ol same ol happens to us. OR that we have limited imagination and they are too far out. I'm ok with something like brown sugar (which i watched for Mos Def kiss) but how many variations of brown sugar or family road trip or whatever can i handle? They say the movies reflect what happens in our society. Fine. Thing is that movies most of the time are supposed to entertain and in some cases transport us away from our reality if only for 2 and a half hours. Do i want to watch everytime what is happening in my society when i'm already there? Or what happens to my neighbour's family? I could just go ask him instead of going to the movies to go see a variation of his life. Maybe it's why i like fantasy best. It's nothing like our lives for the most part.

Speaking of hot african dude lol, I think Djimon Hounsou is underrated. I watched this weird movie Tempest based on Shakespeare's The Tempest. A movie with Helen Mirren, Alan Cumming and Chris Cooper. Djimon was the best part of the movie. He always seemed like he had more than what he did in some of his movies, i just never got to see what it was until this movie. I hope he gets choice roles that extend his acting chops.
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by anonymous6(f): 5:24am On Nov 11, 2011
iice:

I understand.

I don't think the movies cater to just whites. That would either mean, they have too much happening to come up with such stories or t[b]hat we the blacks are too structured and nothing but same ol same ol happens to us. OR that we have limited imagination and they are too far out. I'm ok with something like brown sugar (which i watched for Mos Def kiss) but how many variations of brown sugar or family road trip or whatever can i handle? They say the movies reflect what happens in our society. Fine. Thing is that movies most of the time are supposed to entertain and in some cases transport us away from our reality if only for 2 and a half hours. Do i want to watch everytime what is happening in my society when i'm already there? Or what happens to my neighbour's family? I could just go ask him instead of going to the movies to go see a variation of his life. Maybe it's why i like fantasy best. It's nothing like our lives for the most part.[/b]

Speaking of hot african dude lol, I think Djimon Hounsou is underrated. I watched this weird movie Tempest based on Shakespeare's The Tempest. A movie with Helen Mirren, Alan Cumming and Chris Cooper. Djimon was the best part of the movie. He always seemed like he had more than what he did in some of his movies, i just never got to see what it was until this movie. I hope he gets choice roles that extend his acting chops.

I agree lol, I love fantasy movies like lord of the rings, harry potter, Dune and etc the stories are more interesting and less predictable. The reason why I don't really watch Black hollywood movies because it is about the same old story; slavery, the ghetto/thug life, segregation, IR jibber jabber, and etc that why I am not as interested in black hollywood movie's. As much as I am happy for Tyler perry, I am not a big fan of his movies or shows, their are only four movies I liked from him so far, and one of them I don't really seeing myself watching again. I only have one DVD from him, and I don't like his show Meet the Browns, it is cheesy and not my style.

I know Djimon Hounsou is underrated & he is a excellent actor; there is a another african actor I like his name is Adewale akinnouye-Agbaje, he is hot(he was on the show lost, appeared in the Mummy and movie bourne identity with Matt Damon)
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by babyboy3(m): 9:10am On Nov 11, 2011
Hollywood is not the saviour industries for all races, theres nothing wrong in breaking into hollywood but to me I feel cultures and communities around the world should create their own film industries in the world. Bollywood has and has beated hollywood as the number one film industry in southeast asia, Nollywood has and has beaten hollywood as the number one film industry in sub-sahran africa. Even in Mexico the hispanic film industry is booming. Hollywood needs to start feeling competition in order to see the importance of others, and they are feeling it now internationally

Excuse me!!!

Bollywood could churn out 2 movies a day (which was their record) its still not at the same level as Hollywood, its not even a threat to the industry and Nollywood that Churn out rubbish day in day out, stealing other industries storyline or title, am sorry saying Nollywood is a threat to Hollywood is joke! Even the only Cinema group in Nigeria (Silverbird) shows 90% of Hollywood movies
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by babyboy3(m): 9:45am On Nov 11, 2011
When it comes to the black actors/actresses. I even have less interest. For most of them are below mediocre. Some seem to be on the right path and then all of a sudden fall down the drain. I'm not a fan of actresses so i'm not even bowled over by Halle

You couldnt put it any better!!!!

i'm not even bowled over by Halle, frankly she has yet to prove to me why she won that oscar.

I could see where your coming from, but when Halle won it, it seems like it was a period when the Oscar in the women category in a leading role goes to whoever has paid their dues to the industry gets the Oscar, because Paltrow, Hilary Swank, Julia Roberts, H Berry, Nicole Kidman, Charlize Theron etc they all won but only Hilary Swank and Charlize theron I could truely say they deserve it, the rest it felt like an honourary award.

Speaking of hot african dude lol, I think Djimon Hounsou is underrated. I watched this weird movie Tempest based on Shakespeare's The Tempest.

He is highly rated in Hollywood knowing that if he had won the Oscar for his role in Amistad, he was going to dedicate it to Steven Speilberg for giving him the chance (someone was saying black people dont get the chance)

Come to think about it I find it weird that most winners in the Oscars are European, not American. I am not mad because when Europeans act they are in a whole different level

You are right European actors/actresses are much better and it isn't a issue for me as well; for the last part of your comment I am behind you

The reason why Europeans pick up these awards is because most of the movies are based on European written books/stories and Helen Mirren not only she acted like the Queen she even looks like the Queen. Charlize Theron is African in the Mens Category only Colin Firth, George Clooney and Daniel Day Lewis where Europeans and Australian that won the oscar in the last 10 years
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by BoOOosHBoy: 12:08pm On Nov 11, 2011
Mmm
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by anonymous6(f): 1:13pm On Nov 11, 2011
baby-boy:

Excuse me!!!

Bollywood could churn out 2 movies a day (which was their record) its still not at the same level as Hollywood, its not even a threat to the industry and Nollywood that Churn out rubbish day in day out, stealing other industries storyline or title, am sorry saying Nollywood is a threat to Hollywood is joke! Even the only Cinema group in Nigeria (Silverbird) shows 90% of Hollywood movies

I think you are confusing yourself. I am not talking about their level, I am talking about the fact that these industries beat Hollywood in their own territories which is southeast asia and sub-saharan africa(and that is significant), it was announced a year ago when it comes to Nollywood on CNN & other news media, so it is irrelevant that silverbird shows 90% hollywood movies(especially when the poor in Nigeria can't afford these movies & some of them don't even connect to them evevn if they could but can afford a Nollywood movie, a movie industry they connect to) ; do you know many Hollywood cinema's are closing down in sub-saharan African countries. So no it is not a joke when it comes to sub-saharan Africa that Nollywood is seen as a threat now because all levels of Nigerian society & other african society would rather see cheap african movies that some fake hollywood blockbuster that they don't see in their lives because Nollywood shows movies that are relevant to Black africans, hollywood doesn't. Yoruba & Hausa Nollywood movies don't copy from Hollywood it is pure quthentic, when it comes to the the English industry at times they do but the movies most of the time end up as trash and are criticized with their rihanna vs. beyonce movies

[b]"It's a paradox. As cinemas close across Africa, homegrown blockbusters are actually eclipsing Hollywood on the African market as for the first time in 13 years an African feature competes for the top award at Cannes.

This weekend, "A Screaming Man" by Chad director Mahamat-Saleh Haroun joins 18 other movies selected to contend for the prestigious Palme d'Or, awarded May 23 at the close of the 12-day film festival.

Yet cinemas across the continent are pulling down screens, converted to pentecostal churches, night clubs or warehouses.

The average rate of closure is estimated at one a month - an endemic trend blamed on ticket prices too high for the average African as well as on the proliferation of cheap pirated DVDs at any street corner.

Around 50 cinemas remain in business - most in South Africa and Kenya with a few in Nigeria - thanks to mushrooming city shopping malls.

In Ivory Coast, west Africa's cultural crossroads, "cinema is dying, if it is not dead already", said award-winning producer Roger Gnoan M'Bala.

In Senegal, home to some of the continent's most renowned early filmmakers such as the late Ousmane Sembene, cinemas have all but shut down. "Senegal is one big black screen," said local weekly La Gazette.

A vestige of film resistance in West Africa is the Oscars' equivalent, FESPACO, Africa's biggest film festival held every two years in Burkina Faso.

But Africa's most populous country Nigeria 18 years ago burst into production with affordable movies now shot with digital cameras that shun the more expensive classical 35mm format.

Known as Nollywood, the Nigerian movie industry has in recent years galloped ahead of Hollywood to be ranked second in the world in production terms after India's Bollywood.

A UNESCO study last year placed Nollywood second to Bollywood in terms of the numbers of films produced, with Hollywood trailing in third position. In 2006 for example, Nigeria churned out 872 productions against 485 in the United States.

Film-makers say the digital camera has helped boost African film production, with Nigerians releasing what some dub "microwave" movies that can be ready in under a month.

Nollywood "has taken over completely" from Hollywood, said Nigeria's film producer and director Teco Benson, saying it is the latest "superpower" in the movie industry.

"It's Africa's new rebranding tool".

The good news is that African film-lovers go for Nollywood.

"Africans watch more Nollywood than Hollywood," commented another local director and producer Zeb Ejiro.

Most Nollywood movies depict societal ills - corruption, fraud, drugs and human trafficking, love triangles and witchcraft - and almost all go for happy endings.

One reason for Nollywood's popularity lies with South Africa-based pay television MultiChoice. It has four 24-hour channels dedicated to African content, predominantly Nigeria productions. Two of the channels run movies in two of Nigeria's main languages, Yoruba and Hausa.

But in poor neighbourhoods, shacks with old TV screens placed on dusty alleys or verandas pass for video viewing centres. Bootleg copies sell for a couple of dollars across the continent.

In central Africa, Nollywood movies are the only ones sold by market vendors as "African movies", with the Nigerian productions dubbed into French in such countries as Cameroon and Gabon.

In Kenya, Nigerian films are also a hit - many of them broadcast on terrestrial networks - but face competition from Bollywood due to a historic large Indian population in the eastern African country.

Nollywood films are also immensely popular in Sierra Leone, to the extent of choking the growth of the country's own movie industry, said Thomas Jones, a radio play scriptwriter.

"Nollywood has hampered the growth of the local film market because my contemporaries have just resigned themselves to watching these films from Nigeria," he said.

More affluent South Africa on the other hand has seen a growth in its movie sector since the end of apartheid, and Neill Blomkamp's science fiction "District 9" was this year nominated for an Oscar.

In the Democratic Republic of Congo, Nollywood is "very popular on television" after being dubbed into the local Lingala dialect, according to Petna Ndaliko, a local organiser of the five-year film festival in the eastern town of Goma.

And even in the tiniest of African countries such as Gambia, "Nollywood is ahead of Hollywood", said Nigerian businessman Barnabas Eset, who since 2000 has been renting out both Nollywood and Hollywood movies."[/b]
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/nigerias-nollywood-eclipsing-hollywood-in-africa-1974087.html
http://www.timeslive.co.za/africa/article449944.ece/Nollywood-eclipses-Hollywood-in-Africa

[b]"Editor’s note: This post originally said Nollywood was bigger than Bollywood. We’ve updated the post to reflect that Nollywood has more revenues than Bollywood on a per capita basis — a crucial distinction.

Nollywood will be the next big thing in world cinema. Just believe it.

Nigeria’s movie industry is thriving, and it’s about time you took notice. Fondly referred to as Nollywood, it is now an $800 million industry, providing employment for about 300,000 people as actors, directors, marketers and distributors. After Hollywood, it is the second largest in the world – even bigger than India’s Bollywood on  per-capita basis. Nigerian movies are immensely popular, particularly in Africa, where they currently outsell Hollywood films. And Nollywood stars are much more popular on the continent than their Hollywood counterparts. Chances are that Kenyans or Malawians will better recognize Genevieve Nnaji and Ramsey Nouah (both Nollywood idols), than Julia Roberts and Denzel Washington.

Nollywood has come a long way from where it started 20 years ago. Before now, Western critics were usually quick to dismiss the quality of its productions as poor, the industry as amateurish, its talent as sloppy and its future as bleak. Understandably so. Movies were made on the cheap- a typical budget ranged anywhere from $15,000 to $30,000. Shoots were rushed; they rarely lasted a week. Cheap digital equipment and cameras were mostly used, and directors were untrained. The movies generally bypassed the cinema, going straight to DVD and VCD discs. Majority of the actors were mediocre at best. The stories were cliché and mildly annoying. A typical story line went something like this: poor boy meets rich girl; they fall in love; rich girl’s parents strongly disapprove of union; boy and girl fight all obstacles and true love prevails in the end. Other typical story lines included voodoo tales, historical epics, religious conflicts and economic hardship. It was generally mundane.

But even with the substandard quality of the movies, they thrived. The average flick sold over 50,000 copies. Some even sold as many as several hundred thousand, while a few hit a million. And at $1.50 per disc, they were affordable for most Nigerians and generated astounding returns for the producers.

But things have changed. The Nigerian movie industry is experiencing an evolution. The quality of our movies is much better than ever before; our actors are better financially compensated;  directors and other professionals in the industry are travelling overseas to institutions like the New York Film Academy to hone their skills; investors and businessmen are pouring more substantial financial resources into the production of better quality flicks. Nowadays, it’s common place to see movies produced on a 6-figure budget, which is a major improvement from the past. In 2009, Kunle Afolayan, a leading Nigerian movie producer, raised about $300,000 to shoot Figurine, an outstanding production which premiered on local and international cinemas and went on to win 5 stars at the African Movie Academy Awards, our very own version of the Oscars. Several Nigerian movie producers and directors are following suit.

But this is just the beginning: Nollywood is coming of age; its producers and other leading lights are more ambitious than ever before, and they are catching up with Hollywood, slowly albeit steadily. With time, the industry will be rewarded with the critical reception it currently lacks among great world cinema.

I can hardly wait!"[/b]
http://www.forbes.com/sites/mfonobongnsehe/2011/04/19/hollywood-meet-nollywood/

[flash=500,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_zOOPNgA_A[/flash]

[b]"Nope, not the name (that is another story), but the industry. Nollywood movies are very, very popular. This has made the top Nollywood actors international superstars anywhere black people live. From the West Indies to Haiti to all regions of Africa, Nollywood stars are much beloved. However, if you have ever watched a Nollywood movie, you must the asking WHY? I have seen how y’all enjoy trashing Nollywood as an industry on this site, and the question must have occurred to you: Why are these movies so loved? Despite being a huge fan of the industry, I have to admit what anybody with half an eye can see: the average Nolly movie is not that good. If you pick up a movie at random, you are likely to be subjected to clichéd story telling, poor editing, bad sound, amateur special effects, and over dramatic, over the top acting. I can only compare the way many people feel about Nollywood’s puzzling popularity to the bewilderment in the US at the popularity of Tyler Perry movies, or even the new teen fad: the Twilight series. What kind of emotional connection do people have to these products that make them ignore good writing and acting? What is the attraction? I am not a screaming blushing teen, so I cannot explain the Twilight phenomenon. However, I suspect that Tyler Perry and his crazy dramatic movies have a lot in common with Nollywood in many ways.

When we think about African film, you would expect that South African movies would dominate. Two of their movies have been nominated for Oscars two years in a row, with Tsotsi winning the academy award for best foreign language movie in 2006. Yet, I would bet my last penny that if you asked the average African who the stars of Yesterday and Tsotsi were; your answer would be a puzzled blank look. And if you checked out this year’sAfrican movie awards (AMAA), you would see that the Kenyans carted away most of the prizes. Yet, if we ask our average African who the stars of Kenyan film are – another blank stare! However, ask of Genevieve Nnaji, Omotola Jolade Ekeinde , Stella Damasus, or Ramsey Nouah on the streets of London (in the black community), or Haiti, or Uganda. Instant recognition. Why is this?

I was interested in getting a more rigorous answer than “people like what they like”, so I decided to do some research. I chose to watch the South African films I could lay my hands on, namely the aforementioned Yesterday and Tsotsi so that I could compare them to Nigerian film in order to begin to figure out this mystery. Unfortunately, I don’t have access to the best of Kenyan cinema (if you can help a sista out, it would be much appreciated). As you see from the reviews, I really enjoyed both movies. I found them to be more technically advanced than ALL Nollywood products at the moment, in addition to being very touching and emotional. It was interesting to see that both movies were directed by white South Africans Darrell James Roodt and Gavin Hood respectively. Even though both movies were populated by African actors, the pace was very European – majestic shots, slow, almost languid pace – everything very measured. I watched Yesterday twice (yes, the things I have to do!) the second time with the director’s commentary on. I learned a lot about filmmaking in general, and about the making of this movie in particular. The director said something very interesting – about how apartheid had really separated the Afrikaners from the black Africans, such that the different cultures were just even now starting to learn about each other. And there were many things about life in the village that surprised him. My conclusion was that he was basically making a movie about a culture that was pretty alien to him, the same way Hollywood has always made movies about Africa. What we thus got from those two movies was a vision of African life from an outsider’s perspective. In other words, while the packaging was nice, the story was touching and interesting, they were lacking the one ingredient that Nollywood has in spades – authenticity!

You see, I have been attending a majority white church for a long time, and every Sunday, I am really struck by how different we are culturally from people of European descent. They are a very structured, and in the case of the church I attend, very socially conservative people. Every movement, every action is measured, planned in advance, and continually examined. It’s also a very emotionally reserved culture – it’s clear in the way they worship in church, and in the way they make their film. I enjoy watching the crime series on primetime – my favorites are CSI New York and the original CSI (Vegas). Whenever they tell the family of a victim that they have lost someone, it always strikes me as very interesting the way the survivors mourn (in general). They dab their eye delicately, sob quietly and are almost always ready to answer questions concerning the crime in a clear, lucid and logical fashion.

How many of our own people can identify with that? Who cries like that back home? We all know the wailing and acrobatics that we associate with grief. But because the “oyinbo” way of doing things has dominated the airwaves for so long, we have all been trained to think of it as the “right way” of making film. Hence the overdramatic accusations that beset Nollywood! But that is why Nollywood movies are so loved. Seriously!! We are a loud, dramatic, emotional, outwardly expressive, in your face, no concept of personal space people. Under the overly sanitized concept of movie making, people like Patience Ozokwor, Nkem Owoh (welcome home from kidnap! LOL), or Sola Sobowale would not make it to the screen. But they made it, and they are superstars in their respective genres today. Tyler Perry has made millions (hundreds of millions actually), by recognizing authenticity and tapping into it (Fine, Madea is over the top, but you know what I mean!). I just recently watched “Madea goes to Jail”, and I can easily name 10 Nigerian movies that are much better than that movie in terms of dialogue and content (not technical proficiency of course), and yet it was a number 1 movie. Why? Because it struck a chord among a long ignored demographic. It’s not done by someone talking down at them, or somebody pretending to be them, but by someone who was (he’s rich now) one of them and speaks their language.

It’s the same thing with African film. No matter how beautiful the movie, no matter how technically proficient, no matter how fantastic the budget, or good the acting, people want to see themselves represented on the screen “as they are”. For too many years, we have had only the Euro-American view of the world on the big screen. They have defined not only how we view them, but also how we view each other. The story of Africa in Hollywood has been what Dambisa Moyo describes as the four horsemen of the apocalypse – war, disease, corruption, poverty. It’s been a very pathetic story. It’s the reason I have refused to watch “Tears of the Sun” up till today. I just got tired of that crap!

But Nollywood and other emerging African movie industries tell a different story. They tell ALL stories. Not just about war, disease, corruption, poverty, but also about love, marriage, loss, desire. Portraying Africans not just as a cause, but AS A PEOPLE. Even better is the way they tell this story: the format is dramatic, raw, bare, unpretentious, in your face; REAL! It may not be real to the average European, but it’s real to me, because I know those people. I recognize them, I connect with them. Every time Patience O plays a problematic mother-in-law, with her over the top antics and sharp tongue, I know which relative of mine she is portraying. And we all love Being Intimate symbols that look like us. Genevieve is dark skinned and sexy! Yet, Rita Dominic is light skinned and the girl is hawt!! Point is, Nollywood connects on a visceral level and embraces all of us, as we are, thick or skinny, tall or short, light or dark, quiet or dramatic - its a broad umbrella. And the authenticity of the industry is most honestly reflected by the grass roots support it garners. When people who have no idea what is involved in moviemaking, who don’t understand movie-speak can look at the screen and say ‘That’s meeee!’, and they say that across a variety of cultures and continents, you know you have a beautiful thing going.

I bet when Nollywood first started getting recognized outside Nigeria, Africa’s NGO filmmakers laughed really hard, as did those in the larger industries – in Europe, in India, and in America – like who is gonna watch this crap? But after seeing the reaction from black people all over the world (and I mean everywhere from the Islands to Haiti), many copycat industries have started to spring forth. Ghana was motivated to resuscitate their movie industry when Nigerian movies flooded their airwaves. Now we have movie industries, based on the Nigerian model springing up in Ghana, Sierra Leone, Liberia – all over Africa. I don’t know much about the movie industry in Haiti, and whether or not it predates Nollywood, but I can say that stars from Nigeria and Ghana are much loved in that country. In fact, Omotola (aka Omosexy) just shot a movie with a whole bunch of Haitian movie stars that is already going the premiere route and will soon be released. And even South Africans are planning to join in the fun with Jollywood.Here is an example of the planned output from this venture. Not sure how far along or successful they are, but Nollywood is setting the pace, and others are following along.

Does Nollywood need to improve? YES!! Please do not misunderstand me. I am a huge fan of the movies, I own a truckload of them, I watch them religiously, but I am not blind, or deaf, or silly, even though sometimes it seems that our movie makers think the audience is some combination of all three. The industry needs to improve in every aspect – sound, editing (I tried to watch a movie this past weekend where the scenes were apparently recorded in reverse!!) costuming, make up, acting, you name it, we need to fix it! However, Nollywood is on to something very special, and very powerful. As we seek to improve these movies, I need to sound a note of warning to the movie makers – improving them does not mean making them like European and American movies. Please, do not clean up to the point that you suck out all the authenticity. Some of the better producers seem to think that improving a movie means following the “oyinbo formula” If they follow that path, they will lose their audience. Don’t try to follow the ALL the oyinbo rules (you need to follow some though! LOL) of what a movie should be like and how to cry on screen, and what is overacting, and all that good stuff. Improve the movies technically, learn how to decorate a set, get continuity right, don’t use cameras with pink dots, but yes, keep telling OUR stories OUR way.

So, I guess we have figured out why Nollywood and Tyler Perry movies are popular. If anybody can explain the frenzy over the Twilight series to me though, I would be much obliged! Speaking of the multimillionaire Tyler Perry, I actually think somebody needs to hook that dude up with Nollywood. He makes the exact same movies, only with far greater resources, so it would be a natural partnership. I suppose, if Nollywood gets its acts together technically, some of the movies will look like Tyler’s stuff? Is that good or bad, I wonder? LOL!!

Movie Recommendation: So what movie am I recommending this time? I have to go with Izu Ojukwu who is, in my opinion, rapidly emerging as one of Nollywood’s foremost directors. But he has to find the balance between improving his movies (as he is doing) and yet maintaining authenticity. While his style of movie making is right up my alley, I suspect it may not be too attractive to the core audience who love Mama Gee, and Sola Sobowale and Nkem Owoh, and Jenifa and all that kin’ drama. His movies are more thoughtful and introspective, and in my opinion, darned good,  Please check out The distance between, and white waters. I really liked them. I hope you do too."[/b]
http://www.nigeriafilms.com/news/6259/8/why-nollywood.html

AS GOOD AS THE OSCARS ARE, AND I AM NOT FOR ONCE DOWNPLAYING THEIR SIGNIFICANCE BUT AFRICANS NOW HAVE THEIR OWN AWARDS NOW:
"The African Movie Academy Awards, popularly known as AMAA Awards, are presented annually to recognize excellence of professionals in the African film industry, including directors, actors, and writers. The awards are aimed at honouring and promoting excellence in the African movie industry as well as uniting the African continent through arts and culture. The award presentation is attended by numerous international media representatives, Hollywood celebrities, Nigerian politicians, journalists and actresses & actors from all across Africa. The AMAA awards are widely considered to be Africa's most important film event[1] and one of the most prestigious African film awards.[2][3][4] A variety of international observers have fondly called the African Movie Academy Awards the "African Oscars".[5][6][7][8] The most recent ceremony, honoring films in 2010, was held at the Gloryland Cultural Center in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, Nigeria on March 27, 2011."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Movie_Academy_Award
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by anonymous6(f): 1:47pm On Nov 11, 2011
Personally I have no problem with Hollywood movies, at least most of them. I'd rather watch them, then Black hollywood movies at times(even though I do watch Black hollywood movies at times) but In general I love Yoruba Nollywood movie's. I have been watching those movies with my parents since I was young, and mind you I was born & Raised in America but in the Yoruba culture; despite that I prefer at times to watch Yoruba films over Hollywood films, I consider it more Authentic. There are many more Nigerian born Americans that are like me as well. For example I'd rather watch Yemoja then the weirdo movie the Matrix

[flash=500,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM5yepZ21pI[/flash]
[flash=500,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvfOEG5YBm4&feature=watch-now-button&wide=1[/flash]
[flash=500,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgGOGE8fpmM&feature=watch-now-button&wide=1[/flash]
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by babyboy3(m): 2:19pm On Nov 11, 2011
So no it is not a joke when it comes to sub-saharan Africa that Nollywood is seen as a threat now because all levels of Nigerian society & other african society would rather see cheap african movies that some fake hollywood blockbuster that they don't see in their lives because Nollywood shows movies that are relevant to Black africans, hollywood doesn't. Yoruba & Hausa Nollywood movies don't copy from Hollywood it is pure quthentic, when it comes to the the English industry at times they do but the movies most of the time end up as trash and are criticized with their rihanna vs. beyonce movies

#1 Silverbird shows almost 90% of Hollywood movies in all of its outlet in Nigeria and you still feel Nollywood and Hollywood are on a level playing field?

So because a Nollywood (HOME VIDEO) has part 1, 2, 3, 4 gives you an indication that its bigger that Bollywood! Nollywood cannot afford to pay a Bollywood artist. Genevieve got $25000 for her part in "IJE" compared to $12m Demi Moore got for her role in a movie 15 years ago,  $25k does not cover the fee for sound editing.

We have a very long list of top Nollywood stars on around $6k - $8k per movie, a Nollywood actress died 3 or 4 years due to fatigue and one of her colleague said they earn around N20k a movie thats why they perform week in week out no rest!

Yes you could be patriotic about Nollywood, but dont ever say because it produces over 600 movies a year its better than an industry that produces over 100 movies, no one cares about quantity its about the quality of movie you produce.

Yoruba & Hausa Nollywood movies don't copy from Hollywood it is pure quthentic, when it comes to the the English industry at times they do but the movies most of the time end up as trash and are criticized with their rihanna vs. beyonce movies

I believe you have seen "Slum Dog Millionaire" actually the English have one of the best directors you could find.

Look Hollywood has a yearly ticket sale of around 2.9billion compared to Bollywood that has 3.6billion in ticket sale,

Care to get the figures for Nollywood both Home Video, DVD or Ticket sales

We have Bollywood movies making over $20m in revenue, Even Tsoti a South African blockbuster made almost $10m in revenue, please name a Nollywood movie thats has made even close?

And before I go Theirs a Yoruba version of Tyler Perry's Diary of a Mad Black Woman by Saheed Balogun the execution was rubbish!!!
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by anonymous6(f): 2:41pm On Nov 11, 2011
baby-boy:

#1 Silverbird shows almost 90% of Hollywood movies in all of its outlet in Nigeria and you still feel Nollywood and Hollywood are on a level playing field?

So because a Nollywood (HOME VIDEO) has part 1, 2, 3, 4 gives you an indication that its bigger that Bollywood! Nollywood cannot afford to pay a Bollywood artist. Genevieve got $25000 for her part in "IJE" compared to $12m Demi Moore got for her role in a movie 15 years ago,  $25k does not cover the fee for sound editing.

We have a very long list of top Nollywood stars on around $6k - $8k per movie, a Nollywood actress died 3 or 4 years due to fatigue and one of her colleague said they earn around N20k a movie thats why they perform week in week out no rest!

Yes you could be patriotic about Nollywood, but dont ever say because it produces over 600 movies a year its better than an industry that produces over 100 movies, no one cares about quantity its about the quality of movie you produce.

I believe you have seen "Slum Dog Millionaire" actually the English have one of the best directors you could find.

Look Hollywood has a yearly ticket sale of around 2.9billion compared to Bollywood that has 3.6billion in ticket sale,

Care to get the figures for Nollywood both Home Video, DVD or Ticket sales

We have Bollywood movies making over $20m in revenue, Even Tsoti a South African blockbuster made almost $10m in revenue, please name a Nollywood movie thats has made even close?

And before I go Theirs a Yoruba version of Tyler Perry's Diary of a Mad Black Woman by Saheed Balogun the execution was rubbish!!!

Umm those article's & video, I posted speak for themselves, whether you think Nollywood is trash or not is your problem. It doesn't change the fact that it has beaten Hollywood in Sub-saharan africa & the argument about the levels of each industry is irrelevant but in the end of the day Nollywood has surpassed Hollywood in sub-saharan africa, despite all the trillion and billion you are showing off about when it comes to hollywood. My argument was never about the money or which level each industry because in the end of the day with all that muscle power Hollywood has it was beaten by Nollywood in sub-saharan africa.

"The cinema of Nigeria grew quickly in the 1990s and 2000s to become the second largest film industry in the world in terms of number of annual film productions, placing it ahead of the United States and behind the Indian film industry.[1] According to Hala Gorani and Jeff Koinange formerly of CNN, Nigeria has a US$250 million movie industry, churning out some 200 videos for the home video market every month.[2][3]

Nigerian cinema is Africa's largest movie industry in terms of both value and the number of movies produced per year. Although Nigerian films have been produced since the 1960s, the rise of affordable digital filming and editing technologies has stimulated the country's video film industry"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_of_Nigeria

"The cinemas are gradually losing their supporters to the movie industry. Yoruba language films happen to be the most watched in the cinemas, followed by Indian films. Films are not premiered for a long period of time in the western sense, especially with Yoruba language films. Films in English are controlled mainly by the Igbos are the most popular and move directly from the studios to the market"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagos#Music_and_film_industry
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by babyboy3(m): 2:49pm On Nov 11, 2011
My argument is not about the money or which level each industry is in, because in the end of the day with all that muscle power Hollywood has it was beaten by Nollywood in sub-saharan africa.

So because (Nollywood) releases a Movie everyday regardless of the quality that means it has beaten Hollywood ?

You know what? lets agree to disagree!!!
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by anonymous6(f): 2:53pm On Nov 11, 2011
baby-boy:

So because (Nollywood) releases a Movie everyday regardless of the quality that means it has beaten Hollywood ?

You know what? lets agree to disagree!!!

No because they show movies that are relevant about the culture of sub-saharan africans, that quality becomes secondary. Plus quality is improving in Nollywood but those articles have already told you why Nollywood has beaten hollywood in sub-saharan africa, and I see nothing wrong with it. I'd rather see my own be number one in films in their own continent then foreigners be number one in Africa, while showing war, disease, starvation, aid, corruption movies about Africa. You just don't get it, Nollywood vs. hollywood is a david & Galiath story to me

any way as you said lets just agree to disagree
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by omar22(m): 3:04pm On Nov 11, 2011
In 1992, the debut of Kenneth Nnebue’s movie Living in Bondage brought a new twist to the then growing motion picture industry in Nigeria.

Shot straight-to-video, it was the first Nollywood blockbuster movie which kicked off the Nigerian cinema industry. By the following year, more film makers tapped into this eye-opening trend and Nollywood was born.

Today Nollywood’s growth has been stunted by piracy and lack of professionalism by many practitioners. It has become an free-for-all affair and avenue for people to attain cheap fame and make quick money. From Ghana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Botswana, Tanzania, Kenya to Egypt, most of what is known about Nigeria as a country has been through Nollywood.

Yet little or no attention has been paid to the money-spinning industry that would have been a good source of revenue for the country. Efforts by current investors in the industry have been bedevilled by piracy.

Taiwo Ajai-Lycette, a veteran Nigerian stage actress who featured in many productions in Nigeria including a TV series in the 1970s, Winds Against My Soul, expresses her angst with the quality of production and the quantity of works spurned by directors whom she says are not in tune with the times.

“We don’t have to be at the state we are now when it comes to film-making in this 21st Century,” she said. “There are new technologies which some filmmakers are not conversant with. I am knocking the quality. Veteran artistes are those who have travelled on stage. The basic knowledge that you acquire as an actor is on stage which many actors today don’t have.”

These days, people want to be part of Nollywood to gain popularity. This kind of bankrupt thinking has led Nollywood to the stagnant position it is currently.

“You can’t make money without making incredible art,” adds Ajai-Lycette. “You have to be an artiste to make it in the industry. Money is a by-product of creativity. It should come as a direct product of what we do. If we only think of the money, we are going to be poor as artistes. Thinking is a very hard business.”

Most Nigerian films are characterised by badly written scripts which lack depth. Film critics have traced this to the lack of reading culture among scriptwriters, directors and actors. And to be an artist, in Ajai-Lycette’s words, “is to be absolutely widely read.”

Weak scripts

She argues that if an artiste is not educated there is no way he can interpret the works of Wole Soyinka, for example, because as a writer, he translates the philosophy of his people.

Nollywood actress Kate Henshaw-Nuttal agrees with the poor quality of work in Nollywood and the fact that Ajai-Lycette rejected the script sent to her.

It’s almost three years now,” she explained, “I have not starred in any Nollywood movie. I believe I have reached a point where I have come to be known for good quality work. If the prop guys pay attention to detail and the directors do their work well, Nollywood will be a better industry.”

While some practitioners decry poor quality of production, others like Dejumo Lewis take issue with the name of the industry itself, Nollywood, which is a derivative of America’s Hollywood. “Nollywood is not original. The name Naija Movies would be best.”

In addition, he has problem with the way Nigerian culture is portrayed. “Art is about stating the reality and the ideal,” he said. “It must mirror and give what should be. We should ask ourselves what kind of culture we communicate through our works.”

As a developmental step for the entertainment industry, President Goodluck Jonathan in November last year announced the Federal Government’s investment of $200 million (30 billion naira) into the development of the entertainment industry.

And in January this year, the president through Olusegun Aganga, the minister of finance, announced that the Special Entertainment Fund will be disbursed by the Bank of Industry (BOI) as single-digit interest rate loans.

It is the first time in the country that the Federal Government will make such funds available for the entertainment industry of which Nollywood is a big part.

Returns

At a stakeholders’ meeting held recently in Lagos and convened on behalf of the presidency by Oronto Douglas, special adviser to the president on policy, Mahmoud Alli Balogun, film producer and director, observed that a proper framework must be put in place for the survival of the industry for investors to get returns on their money.

Nollywood is an industry that survives on the ordinary marketing strategy used by traders in selling their wares,” he says. “Anybody can be a filmmaker in today’s Nollywood. The survival of this industry can be possible if proper structures are put in place. Our services are currently informal. We want to make them formal. It was in 2009 that Motion Picture producers of Nigeria tried to set up a model for selling our works. This can be adopted.”

And Desmond Elliot, an actor who has featured in some films produced in Ghana, decries how piracy has destroyed Nollywood such that Ghana, a new entrant, has a stronger industry.

“We don’t sell more than 1,000 copies of our films,” he says. “Our works are pirated on a daily basis and video clubs give out our works. They make the money more than us. We invest so much and we get little. We still sell our movies in VCDs and not DVDs. It is a shame.”

Speaking from her experience as a producer, Stephanie Okere observes that investing in today’s Nollywood is like putting money into an ocean without getting returns.

“The hawking of movies on the streets should be banned,” she says. “To access the fund made available by the Federal Government through BoI, what we need are guarantors and not going through the Lagos Business School as the list of conditions suggest.”

Segun Arinze pleads with his colleagues to make the fund available to everyone. “Industry practitioners must be careful and must know that the money must go round. We are asking them to go for true industry practitioners and not friends.”

Endowment fund

Nigeria is definitely coming late to the dinner table to take a place among countries of the world which have Arts Endowment Funds and it seems the presidency’s current focus with the $200 million fund is just on Nollywood. There are other aspects of the industry like performing arts which includes dance, theatre arts, music and the visual arts.

What the presidency must work towards, says Jahman Anikulapo, Sunday editor of The Guardian newspaper, is creating a fund which encompasses all aspects of the arts.

“Since 1988 when I started reporting arts, I have been writing and pushing for Nigeria to have a cultural policy. The policy is yet to be passed. It is important for government to pass this policy and then create an endowment fund for the arts.”

Be that as it may, it is crucial that Nollywood practitioners put their house in order. It is an industry that is currently riddled by factions created by longstanding feuds, malice, petty jealousies, supremacy fights, and discrimination along the lines of who belongs to what genre and who does not.

Perhaps it is for this reason some prominent faces in Nollywood were not present at the stakeholders meeting. It is only when Nollywood begins to take itself seriously that other meaningful investors can come in and a better return on investment is assured.

Bury hatchet

Kanayo O. Kanayo, an actor, knows this too well: “We must bury the hatchet and forget whatever we have against one another. We have to become friends. Whoever wants to have access to the money must go through the various associations set up for practitioners in the industry.”

Regardless of its current challenges, Nollywood has taught the rest of Africa how film can be a powerful socio-cultural and economic export to the rest of the world such that Ghana is fast developing its movie industry and is collaborating with filmmakers in Nigeria.

There is a new crop of filmmakers who are combining intelligent storylines with great film techniques. Among these new crop of filmmakers is Kunle Afolayan, the producer of The Figure, which won in five categories in last year’s Africa Movie Academy Awards (AMAA). Their works show the emergence of a new Nollywood.

Toni Kan, film critic, describes the new Nollywood as an industry that’s looking past the straight-to-video model.

“What the New Nollywood will do is direct world attention to us in a way that begins to bring in much needed interventions to the industry technically and financially. The New Nollywood will engender a paradigm shift. It will see the transition of Nigerian movies from what I call the ‘DSTV ghetto channels’.
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by omar22(m): 3:10pm On Nov 11, 2011
No because they show movies that are relevant about the culture of sub-saharan africans, that quality becomes secondary.

I dont know what you are on about, but tell me how does Jennifa, Omo Ghetto and Blackberry Girls relate to the African Culture?
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by anonymous6(f): 3:31pm On Nov 11, 2011
omar22:

I dont know what you are on about, but tell me how does Jennifa, Omo Ghetto and Blackberry Girls relate to the African  Culture?

OMO ghetto & Jennifa are real in Nigeria; there  is a ghetto in Lagos, and their are females that have stories like jennifa; Blackberry babes is a english nollywood movie that is a comedy 9ja movie, so please.
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by anonymous6(f): 3:34pm On Nov 11, 2011
omar22:

In 1992, the debut of Kenneth Nnebue’s movie Living in Bondage brought a new twist to the then growing motion picture industry in Nigeria.

Shot straight-to-video, it was the first Nollywood blockbuster movie which kicked off the Nigerian cinema industry. By the following year, more film makers tapped into this eye-opening trend and Nollywood was born.

Today Nollywood’s growth has been stunted by piracy and lack of professionalism by many practitioners. It has become an free-for-all affair and avenue for people to attain cheap fame and make quick money. From Ghana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Botswana, Tanzania, Kenya to Egypt, most of what is known about Nigeria as a country has been through Nollywood.

Yet little or no attention has been paid to the money-spinning industry that would have been a good source of revenue for the country. Efforts by current investors in the industry have been bedevilled by piracy.

Taiwo Ajai-Lycette, a veteran Nigerian stage actress who featured in many productions in Nigeria including a TV series in the 1970s, Winds Against My Soul, expresses her angst with the quality of production and the quantity of works spurned by directors whom she says are not in tune with the times.

“We don’t have to be at the state we are now when it comes to film-making in this 21st Century,” she said. “There are new technologies which some filmmakers are not conversant with. I am knocking the quality. Veteran artistes are those who have travelled on stage. The basic knowledge that you acquire as an actor is on stage which many actors today don’t have.”

These days, people want to be part of Nollywood to gain popularity. This kind of bankrupt thinking has led Nollywood to the stagnant position it is currently.

“You can’t make money without making incredible art,” adds Ajai-Lycette. “You have to be an artiste to make it in the industry. Money is a by-product of creativity. It should come as a direct product of what we do. If we only think of the money, we are going to be poor as artistes. Thinking is a very hard business.”

Most Nigerian films are characterised by badly written scripts which lack depth. Film critics have traced this to the lack of reading culture among scriptwriters, directors and actors. And to be an artist, in Ajai-Lycette’s words, “is to be absolutely widely read.”

Weak scripts

She argues that if an artiste is not educated there is no way he can interpret the works of Wole Soyinka, for example, because as a writer, he translates the philosophy of his people.

Nollywood actress Kate Henshaw-Nuttal agrees with the poor quality of work in Nollywood and the fact that Ajai-Lycette rejected the script sent to her.

It’s almost three years now,” she explained, “I have not starred in any Nollywood movie. I believe I have reached a point where I have come to be known for good quality work. If the prop guys pay attention to detail and the directors do their work well, Nollywood will be a better industry.”

While some practitioners decry poor quality of production, others like Dejumo Lewis take issue with the name of the industry itself, Nollywood, which is a derivative of America’s Hollywood. “Nollywood is not original. The name Naija Movies would be best.”

In addition, he has problem with the way Nigerian culture is portrayed. “Art is about stating the reality and the ideal,” he said. “It must mirror and give what should be. We should ask ourselves what kind of culture we communicate through our works.”

As a developmental step for the entertainment industry, President Goodluck Jonathan in November last year announced the Federal Government’s investment of $200 million (30 billion naira) into the development of the entertainment industry.

And in January this year, the president through Olusegun Aganga, the minister of finance, announced that the Special Entertainment Fund will be disbursed by the Bank of Industry (BOI) as single-digit interest rate loans.

It is the first time in the country that the Federal Government will make such funds available for the entertainment industry of which Nollywood is a big part.

Returns

At a stakeholders’ meeting held recently in Lagos and convened on behalf of the presidency by Oronto Douglas, special adviser to the president on policy, Mahmoud Alli Balogun, film producer and director, observed that a proper framework must be put in place for the survival of the industry for investors to get returns on their money.

Nollywood is an industry that survives on the ordinary marketing strategy used by traders in selling their wares,” he says. “Anybody can be a filmmaker in today’s Nollywood. The survival of this industry can be possible if proper structures are put in place. Our services are currently informal. We want to make them formal. It was in 2009 that Motion Picture producers of Nigeria tried to set up a model for selling our works. This can be adopted.”

And Desmond Elliot, an actor who has featured in some films produced in Ghana, decries how piracy has destroyed Nollywood such that Ghana, a new entrant, has a stronger industry.

“We don’t sell more than 1,000 copies of our films,” he says. “Our works are pirated on a daily basis and video clubs give out our works. They make the money more than us. We invest so much and we get little. We still sell our movies in VCDs and not DVDs. It is a shame.”

Speaking from her experience as a producer, Stephanie Okere observes that investing in today’s Nollywood is like putting money into an ocean without getting returns.

“The hawking of movies on the streets should be banned,” she says. “To access the fund made available by the Federal Government through BoI, what we need are guarantors and not going through the Lagos Business School as the list of conditions suggest.”

Segun Arinze pleads with his colleagues to make the fund available to everyone. “Industry practitioners must be careful and must know that the money must go round. We are asking them to go for true industry practitioners and not friends.”

Endowment fund

Nigeria is definitely coming late to the dinner table to take a place among countries of the world which have Arts Endowment Funds and it seems the presidency’s current focus with the $200 million fund is just on Nollywood. There are other aspects of the industry like performing arts which includes dance, theatre arts, music and the visual arts.

What the presidency must work towards, says Jahman Anikulapo, Sunday editor of The Guardian newspaper, is creating a fund which encompasses all aspects of the arts.

“Since 1988 when I started reporting arts, I have been writing and pushing for Nigeria to have a cultural policy. The policy is yet to be passed. It is important for government to pass this policy and then create an endowment fund for the arts.”

Be that as it may, it is crucial that Nollywood practitioners put their house in order. It is an industry that is currently riddled by factions created by longstanding feuds, malice, petty jealousies, supremacy fights, and discrimination along the lines of who belongs to what genre and who does not.

Perhaps it is for this reason some prominent faces in Nollywood were not present at the stakeholders meeting. It is only when Nollywood begins to take itself seriously that other meaningful investors can come in and a better return on investment is assured.

Bury hatchet

Kanayo O. Kanayo, an actor, knows this too well: “We must bury the hatchet and forget whatever we have against one another. We have to become friends. Whoever wants to have access to the money must go through the various associations set up for practitioners in the industry.”

Regardless of its current challenges, Nollywood has taught the rest of Africa how film can be a powerful socio-cultural and economic export to the rest of the world such that Ghana is fast developing its movie industry and is collaborating with filmmakers in Nigeria.

There is a new crop of filmmakers who are combining intelligent storylines with great film techniques. Among these new crop of filmmakers is Kunle Afolayan, the producer of The Figure, which won in five categories in last year’s Africa Movie Academy Awards (AMAA). Their works show the emergence of a new Nollywood.

Toni Kan, film critic, describes the new Nollywood as an industry that’s looking past the straight-to-video model.

“What the New Nollywood will do is direct world attention to us in a way that begins to bring in much needed interventions to the industry technically and financially. The New Nollywood will engender a paradigm shift. It will see the transition of Nigerian movies from what I call the ‘DSTV ghetto channels’.

[flash=500,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpPXgStqjfs[/flash]
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by anonymous6(f): 3:36pm On Nov 11, 2011
omar22:

Weak scripts

Returns

Endowment fund

Bury hatchet

BBC news special on How Nigeria Impacted The Rest Of Africa

[b]" As Nigeria celebrates 50 years of independence, BBC reporters look at the impact Africa's most populous nation has had on countries around the continent - from its movie industry and peacekeeping efforts to its notoriety for ingenious scams.

GHANA  
There is no mistaking the ancient cultural and linguistic ties between the neighbours. However, the post-colonial relationship has been characterised by a kind of sibling rivalry. Nigeria is highly respected for leading effective peacekeeping in the region, and at the same time mocked for failing to ensure peace in Nigeria. While Ghana takes pride in leading the continental way in independence, democratisation, and more recently, in sporting achievements.

An estimated 1m Nigerian nationals and dual citizens live and work in Ghana and, paradoxically, communication has been made easier by a shared colonial intervention - the English language and its pidgin variants. And if you go to any home or office in Accra at any time of day, you'll find Ghanaians glued to a television set. Invariably the attraction, or distraction, is a Nollywood movie with common themes of supernatural causes, twisted love, and thrilling crime. Nigerian R&B has also captured the musical tastes of Ghana's urban youth in a big way.

On the streets of Accra I asked some people what the first thing that came to mind with the mention of Nigeria. "Brotherhood," said Stephen Ofosu, a commercial driver. "What I like about Nigerians is that they are hard working in business." Pressed for negative aspects, the answer flowed promptly and unimpeded. "Fraudsters and 419," he replied, referring to the scams often run by well-organised gangs known by the penal code which outlaws them in Nigeria. Laurentia, a higher education student, added: "Whenever a set of armed robbers is caught here, definitely there will be two Nigerians among them."

More wide-ranging positive views came from Nana Akua: "Nigerians like to dress traditionally when it comes to international occasions, we also take pride in our culture but our leaders dress like the whites when they go abroad."

DR CONGO

In sprawling Kinshasa, the only means of transportation is a fleet of ancient, battered taxis.

And if the city does not grind to a complete halt, it is thanks to a network of largely Nigerian traders who provide drivers with precious spare parts.

Huddled around the Kimpwanza roundabout, hundreds of colourful shops display the rare English-language signs visible in the Democratic Republic of Congo's capital. "Chance Motors", "In God We Trust Auto" and their neighbours proudly display man-high piles of headlamps, starters and brake pads.

Those entrepreneurs use their connections in West Africa, a global exchange for second-hand automobile parts, to import the much sought-after pieces of mechanics.

Each garage specialises in one or several car manufacturers. For example, if you own a Ford and break down, your only hope is Nigerian-owned Lita Motors, where orders are taken in English or in the local Lingala - but not in the official French.

And perhaps it is the language barrier that has stopped Nollywood, as the Nigerian film industry is known, becoming the phenomenon it has in other African countries.

LIBYA   
While Nigeria's cultural influence may have been huge across other parts of Africa, neither Nollywood nor Naija groove has reached Libya, despite the many illegal Nigerian migrants who regularly cross the desert to reach the North Africa country in the hope of eventually reaching Europe.

To many here, the only thing the two countries share is oil. Their experiences of illegal migrants largely perpetuate negative images of Nigeria and its people, who are viewed as untrustworthy and as being at the forefront of drug smuggling and robberies.

However, you will occasionally come across a Tripoli resident with a positive anecdote - like how they enjoyed practising English with their Nigerian household help.

On the political front, although Nigeria may be seen by some as the giant of Africa, Libya's leader Muammar Gaddafi seems to like putting the West Africa nation in its place. Earlier this year, he suggested - to the fury of Nigerian MPs - that the country split in two along religious lines. Shortly after he went even further suggesting the country fragment into several states along ethnic grounds.

CAMEROON  
Some 3,000 boundary pillars are being planted along the Cameroon-Nigeria border - it is hoped they will prevent further disputes between the neighbours which nearly went to war over the oil-rich Bakassi Peninsular. The conflict was the peak of their mutual suspicion and several lives have been lost in border skirmishes over the years.

Cameroon has long viewed her giant neighbour as an imperialist-in-the-making, especially given Nigerians' ballooning population. They began arriving Cameroon in the early colonial days as fishermen, traders and administrators. Their population is now estimated at more than 4m out of a population of 19.5m.

They own virtually all motor spare part shops and now Nigerian Pentecostal pastors are setting up everywhere and performing supposed miracle-healing services. But many young Cameroonians think churches are flourishing businesses and have joined the race to become pastors, prophets, deacons and overnight bishops. They seem to be in a hurry to transform beer parlours into prayer grounds.

Truly, the "Naija" brand is here and no-one can ignore it. Nollywood films are popular in homes, video clubs and TV channels. Cameroon's young film sector is benefiting from the expertise of their Nigerian friends who have jointly produced a few Made In Cameroon videos. Nigerian gospel music also has enveloped the place and the likes of the P-Square duo have been thoroughly embraced by the youth. But it is not one-way traffic: Many Cameroonians have for decades studied in Nigerian universities.

Perhaps the most concrete evidence of the thawing of relations is the eminent construction of a multi-million dollar highway from Enugu in Nigeria to Mutengene in Cameroon. No-one seems happier than merchants of both countries.

KENYA  
For a long time the only export Nigeria provided Kenya was bad news. Stories of corruption, rogue pastors, hustlers, conmen, scams, even worse traffic than Nairobi and lots and lots of people. The only positive tales were literary, thanks to Chinua Achebe, Wole Soyinka and Elechi Amadi.

What changed it all for us in Kenya was Nollywood. Nigeria became real and we were exposed to Nigerians telling their stories and not us being told stories about Nigerians. All of a sudden there were VCDs and DVDs being sold of Nollywood blockbusters. I have an uncle who has a mammoth collection of Nigerian movies and a few other relatives who swear on the integrity of Nigerian pastors.

And as people were exposed to Nigerians, either on the big screen on in person, other elements of Nigeria made their way into the lives of Kenya - notably in fashion and music. Huge and colourful head-wraps, accessorised elegant and colourful boubous (traditional gowns) and for a number of women, that was the outfit of choice at social gatherings. We also started dancing to Nigerian tunes from 2Face, D'banj, Femi Kuti, Bracket and P-Square.

So Kenyans now dance to a very different Nigerian tune. Thanks to Nigeria, West Africa is now at home in East Africa.

LIBERIA     
Economic links between Liberia and the giant of West Africa have always been strong - the most visible sign of which is the 85km (50 mile) Ibrahim Babangida Highway (named after a former Nigerian head of state) to Sierra Leone's border.

But it is Nigeria's peacekeeping efforts that Liberians are most grateful for. When the civil war broke out, Nigeria led a West African intervention force, Ecomog, which prevented the rebels of Charles Taylor from overrunning the capital, Monrovia, in August 1990.
Continue reading the main story
Nigeria at 50

Ever since, Nigeria has been in the vanguard of peacekeeping efforts in Liberia, and in recent times, has also sent doctors and teachers to help with the country's acute shortages.

Nigerian-owned churches are, arguably, the largest in Liberia, which is fiercely religious, as the country was founded on the principles of Christianity by freed slaves repatriated from the US in the 19th Century.

It is true to say that Nigerians feel at home here. Many Nigerians, including those in the UN peacekeeping force and private traders, are married to Liberian women and have fathered hundreds of children in recent years.

Nigerian movies are also extremely popular and the young Liberian film industry, modelling itself on Nollywood, is called Lolliwood.

But sadly, Nigerians have also been linked to armed robbery and drug pushing in the post-war period.

ZAMBIA   [img]http://thumb10.shutterstock.com/photos/thumb_large/3637/3637,1109750152,3.jpg[/img]
Peter Ngoma is a Zambian street hawker who earns an average of $20 (£12) a day selling DVDs. He moves from one street to the other selling his wares. Nigerian films account for a third of his earnings - a feat that the Zambian film industry is yet to reach.

Productions from Nollywood have had a phenomenal impact on Zambians. Most of Zambia's television stations, especially recently established ones, have Nigerian films as part of their regular programming.

The Nigerian influence has been so infectious that in some circles friends pick up the distinctive West African accent whenever they joke or chat amongst themselves about happenings in their lives.

It is Nigerians' power of persuasion, irrespective of what they, do that makes their products sell - and it is what makes them a hit even in religious circles.

Zambia is host to churches with origins from Nigeria and a number of them have large followings.

Such is the popularity of their brand, that many ailing Zambians have flown to Nigeria to seek further healing.

SOUTH AFRICA  
District 9, the recent Hollywood blockbuster about aliens in South Africa, depicted Nigerians as seedy criminals - it might have only been a movie but in many parts of the country this stereotype has been accepted as fact. Logic says this is a generalisation, still for some reason ordinary South Africans blame no-one else for the country's drug and crime problem - you're almost guaranteed the same answer: "Nigerians - men particularly."

Despite these prejudices millions of Nigerians have made this their home and started families here, which has proved another bone of contention. Phrases like: "They are stealing our jobs and our women" are flung around at dinner tables whenever talk about our brothers and sisters from the north arise.

Still many South Africans do enjoy Nigerian films - there are two channels on DSTV satellite just dedicated to Nollywood, while churches led by Nigerians have mushroomed in many cities, mostly around Johannesburg.

And you have to admire Nigerians, who tend to stand out in a crowd with their big flashy cars, bold dress and lively speech, for their ability to keep their heads up in the midst of great and often undue condemnation. "[/b]
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-11429067

Thread: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-777550.0.html
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by iice(f): 3:37pm On Nov 11, 2011
baby-boy:

I could see where your coming from, but when Halle won it, it seems like it was a period when the Oscar in the women category in a leading role goes to whoever has paid their dues to the industry gets the Oscar, because  Paltrow, Hilary Swank, Julia Roberts, H Berry, Nicole Kidman, Charlize Theron etc they all won but only Hilary Swank and Charlize theron I could truely say they deserve it,  the rest it felt like an honourary award.

True.  I'm just saying she has yet to prove why she won that Oscar.  You cannot say the same for Swank.  Woman disappears for a while and comes back to win another one or to give a befitting performance.  Ok i don't like Kidman, so let me not start on her.  On Halle though, there is one movie i thought she did really well and i could catch a glimpse of why she won the oscar.  I don't remember the name of the movie but it was with Benicio Del Toro.  Jenifer Hudson has yet to come close to her oscar performance.  The Oscar curse! grin grin

baby-boy:

He is highly rated in Hollywood knowing that if he had won the Oscar for his role in Amistad, he was going to dedicate it to Steven Speilberg for giving him the chance (someone was saying black people dont get the chance)

Is he? Aside from Amistad, which role has brought him close to that kind of performance?  I think he has a career on stage if he so wishes to do so.  It's a good gig to stretch his acting chops.

baby-boy:

The reason why Europeans pick up these awards is because most of the movies are based on European written books/stories and Helen Mirren not only she acted like the Queen she even looks like the Queen. Charlize Theron is African in the Mens Category only Colin Firth, George Clooney and Daniel Day Lewis where Europeans and Australian  that won the oscar in the last 10 years

I wasn't even looking at Helen Mirren.  But no, i don't think it mostly has to do with the books/plays/stories the movie is based on.  I think its because they are more of method actors as you mentioned Daniel Day who is like the king of it.
You can tell from certain actors how good they are.  Some may have won Oscars may years ago like say Gary Oldman or Sir Anthony Hopkins, but their performances never really fall below par.  The movie might be wack like that Denzel and Gary Oldman movie but they didn't give less than a good performance.  And maybe that's why they still get to make good movies inbetween not so good ones.

I will add that on the TV side, blacks aren't doing too bad.  There's a joke that if you want to win and Emmy, just change your name to Alfre Woodard grin

baby boy,
you should visit the TV/Movie section sometime smiley
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by iice(f): 3:40pm On Nov 11, 2011
anonymous6:

I agree lol, I love fantasy movies like lord of the rings, harry potter, Dune and etc the stories are more interesting and less predictable. The reason why I don't really watch Black hollywood movies because it is about the same old story; slavery, the ghetto/thug life, segregation, IR jibber jabber, and etc that why I am not as interested in black hollywood movie's. As much as I am happy for Tyler perry, I am not a big fan of his movies or shows, their are only four movies I liked from him so far, and one of them I don't really seeing myself watching again. I only have one DVD from him, and I don't like his show Meet the Browns, it is cheesy and not my style.

I know Djimon Hounsou is underrated & he is a excellent actor; there is a another african actor I like his name is Adewale akinnouye-Agbaje, he is hot(he was on the show lost, appeared in the Mummy and movie bourne identity with Matt Damon)

I've only seen one Medea and that was in passing. Some day i'll get to it but stop at 2. After that it gets a bit redundant to me.
I know the Nigerian actor. I cannot remember his name for i'm not good with names so i just call him Triple A grin. He's a character actor. He's alright.
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by anonymous6(f): 3:46pm On Nov 11, 2011
About Madea I agree, but I think Adewale Akinnouye-Agbaje is a good actor

[flash=500,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC4isNM6PfM&feature=related[/flash]
[flash=500,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HVkWvQw0Pg&feature=related[/flash]
[flash=500,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHru7S3nxh0&feature=related[/flash]
[flash=500,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBrjtrL1bN0&feature=related[/flash]

You need to see him in the show lost, the movie the mummy, and Bourne Identity with Matt Damon, he was good
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by babyboy3(m): 4:00pm On Nov 11, 2011
True. I'm just saying she has yet to prove why she won that Oscar. You cannot say the same for Swank. Woman disappears for a while and comes back to win another one or to give a befitting performance. Ok i don't like Kidman, so let me not start on her. On Halle though, there is one movie i thought she did really well and i could catch a glimpse of why she won the oscar. I don't remember the name of the movie but it was with Benicio Del Toro. Jenifer Hudson has yet to come close to her oscar performance. The Oscar curse!

Your right Hilary did great in both Movies, thou everyone thougth Kate Winslet would win her first Oscar that night when she won for her role she played alongside Eastwood. Djimon Hounsou did even better in Blood Diamond even in Gladiator despite not playing a leading role.
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by iice(f): 4:09pm On Nov 11, 2011
Whiskers!  Thanks for reminding me of Blood Diamond embarassed 

@anonymous.
When i said he's a character actor, that means there are only certain roles he's able to play.  That may or may not have been his direction but it's what suits him.  I've seen his work and he's alright (that doesn't mean bad).  Better in Oz though.  If you haven't seen Oz, go watch it for his performance.  Prolly his best so far.
Re: Tyler Perry Fans Want Kim Kardashian Removed From His New Movie by anonymous6(f): 4:34pm On Nov 11, 2011
iice:

Whiskers!  Thanks for reminding me of Blood Diamond embarassed 

@anonymous.
When i said he's a character actor, that means there are only certain roles he's able to play.  That may or may not have been his direction but it's what suits him.  I've seen his work and he's alright (that doesn't mean bad).  Better in Oz though.  If you haven't seen Oz, go watch it for his performance.  Prolly his best so far.

I know what character actors are, but I understand what you mean. I never saw oz, so Ill check it out

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yvonne Nelson And Denrele Fooling Around (photo) / Wale NOT Interested In Nigerian Women / Meet Oritse Femi's Mum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 254
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.