Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,152 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:51 PM

Do We Really Have A Democracy In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do We Really Have A Democracy In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? (3263 Views)

Kano Deports 60,000 Beggars To Four States, Other Countries / PDP Raises Rallying Cry - Says PMB Not Equipped To Lead In A Democracy / Aso Rock Belongs To Nigerians...in A Democracy We Have No Pictures? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do We Really Have A Democracy In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by Reggie2(m): 7:23pm On Nov 09, 2011
Dear all,
I was privileged to serve for a period of four years in the Municipality of Modena, northern Italy, as Counsellor. With immigrant community numbering over 70 thousand, the local government deemed it proper to give resident non nationals two seats in the Assembly. Within my counsellor-ship I had a glimpse of democracy in action. I noticed that Representatives cut across professions from law, to teaching down to trading. Counsellors sat once/twice a week without giving up their own trade - being their major source of income. We only received sitting allowances of a hundred euro per sitting - gross pay. Reps had regular meetings with members of their constituency and who could equally come to witness deliberations in the house.

My question goes: do we practise real democracy in Nigeria? Do we have a devolution of power in a three tier formula? Why do we clamour only for the seat of the presidency ignoring vital areas of Reps, Senate and local government? Why do local government chairmen become rich overnight but no one seems to care? Are the separation of powers working in Nigeria? Please I will be glad if someone can join me in my perplexity.
Thank you
Re: Do We Really Have A Democracy In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Nov 09, 2011
who told you there is democracy in Italy.Maybe at the local level you saw a different thing.Democracy remains foreign and is not giving result, except corruption,nepotism,favortism,
Re: Do We Really Have A Democracy In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by Reggie2(m): 7:38pm On Nov 09, 2011
olas2u:

who told you there is democracy in Italy.Maybe at the local level you saw a different thing.Democracy remains foreign and is not giving result, except corruption,nepotism,favortism,

Thank you for replying but I must insist that my experience at the local level is not garbed by the factors you enumerated.
Re: Do We Really Have A Democracy In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by monkeyleg: 7:43pm On Nov 09, 2011
Defintely none. But as nigerians we are masters of self deceit
Re: Do We Really Have A Democracy In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by Reggie2(m): 7:46pm On Nov 09, 2011
monkeyleg:

Defintely none. But as nigerians we are masters of self deceit

Please can u expatiate?
Re: Do We Really Have A Democracy In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by asha80(m): 7:47pm On Nov 09, 2011
Reggie2:

Dear all,
I was privileged to serve for a period of four years in the Municipality of Modena, northern Italy, as Counsellor. With immigrant community numbering over 70 thousand, the local government deemed it proper to give resident non nationals two seats in the Assembly. Within my counsellor-ship I had a glimpse of democracy in action. I noticed that Representatives cut across professions from law, to teaching down to trading. Counsellors sat once/twice a week without giving up  their own trade - being their major source of income. We only received sitting allowances of a hundred euro per sitting - gross pay. Reps had regular meetings with members of their constituency and who could equally come to witness deliberations in the house.

My question goes: do we practise real democracy in Nigeria? Do we have a devolution of power in a three tier formula? Why do we clamour only for the seat of the presidency ignoring vital areas of Reps, Senate and local government? [b]Why do local government chairmen become rich overnight but no one seems to care? [/b]Are the separation of powers working in Nigeria? Please I will be glad if someone can join me in my perplexity.
Thank you

my guess here is that in nigeria people do not pay tax directly to the local council.lg chairmen get there money through allocation
Re: Do We Really Have A Democracy In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by Reggie2(m): 7:52pm On Nov 09, 2011
asha 80,

Are you suggesting that lack of accountability is as a result of absence of direct tax? Aren't people aware that allocation is public fund?
Re: Do We Really Have A Democracy In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by asha80(m): 7:58pm On Nov 09, 2011
Reggie2:

asha 80,

Are you suggesting that lack of accountability is as a result of absence of direct tax? Aren't people aware that allocation is public fund?

that is not entirely the reason but i am sure you might be more concerend with the money you pay as tax to the lg chairman living close to you or next door if he uses it for himself.

as for allocation being public fund yes the people might know but i think the issue is more cultural.
Re: Do We Really Have A Democracy In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by monkeyleg: 8:01pm On Nov 09, 2011
I think the last elections would be a good starting point for you. Did Nigerians really have a free fair and credible elections? Are those who got into office by what ever means doing what people expect them to?
Re: Do We Really Have A Democracy In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by Reggie2(m): 8:06pm On Nov 09, 2011
asha 80:

that is not entirely the reason but i am sure you might be more concerend with the money you pay as tax to the lg chairman living close to you or next door if he uses it for himself.

as for allocation being public fund yes the people might know but i think the issue is more cultural.

Culture can then be regarded as inhibition to real democracy since we are blessed with abundant natural resources and rural dwellers may not as yet be paying direct tax.
Re: Do We Really Have A Democracy In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by asha80(m): 8:10pm On Nov 09, 2011
Reggie2:

Culture can then be regarded as inhibition to real democracy since we are blessed with abundant natural resources and[b] rural dwellers may not as yet be paying direct tax.[/b]

or might not yet understand why they have to pay it.
Re: Do We Really Have A Democracy In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by Reggie2(m): 8:11pm On Nov 09, 2011
monkeyleg:

I think the last elections would be a good starting point for you. Did Nigerians really have a free fair and credible elections? Are those who got into office by what ever means doing what people expect them to?

Earlier on u noted there were no credible elections in Italy. I suppose you were actually equating it with the situation in Nigeria. There is corruption in Italy just like elsewhere but Nigeria's case rings a bell.
Re: Do We Really Have A Democracy In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by monkeyleg: 8:13pm On Nov 09, 2011
no i didnt, please read through my posts again
Re: Do We Really Have A Democracy In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Nov 09, 2011
The system of a unitary federalism is faulty and as destroyed the politics at the local level,revenue sharing formula were the federal distributes the money as destroyed the local politics as well.
Re: Do We Really Have A Democracy In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by Reggie2(m): 8:15pm On Nov 09, 2011
Once, Imo state Governor, Sam Mbakwe, taxed everyone in the state to build Imo airport. People obeyed him.
Re: Do We Really Have A Democracy In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by Nobody: 8:17pm On Nov 09, 2011
Reggie2:

Earlier on u noted there were no credible elections in Italy. I suppose you were actually equating it with the situation in Nigeria. There is corruption in Italy just like elsewhere but Nigeria's case rings a bell.

This is not true.Why will the Nigerian case ring a bell.Their is corruption in italy ,abeg dont educate us wrongly.There is no paradise anywhere
Re: Do We Really Have A Democracy In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by Reggie2(m): 8:18pm On Nov 09, 2011
Sorry I mistook u for olas2u
Re: Do We Really Have A Democracy In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by asha80(m): 8:20pm On Nov 09, 2011
Reggie2:

Once, Imo state Governor, Sam Mbakwe, taxed everyone in the state to build Imo airport. People obeyed him.

well that is the truth but the the project was SPECIFIC.
Re: Do We Really Have A Democracy In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by Reggie2(m): 8:22pm On Nov 09, 2011
olas2u:

This is not true.Why will the Nigerian case ring a bell.Their is corruption in italy ,abeg dont educate us wrongly.There is no paradise anywhere

I believe the thread is about Nigeria not Italy. I only tapped from my local government experience. I can proudly say that I did not bribe my way in.
Re: Do We Really Have A Democracy In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by Nobody: 8:22pm On Nov 09, 2011
Reggie2:

Some big guys that donated money also got that money from the Nigerian government,we know some of them.
Re: Do We Really Have A Democracy In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Nov 09, 2011
Reggie2:

I believe the thread is about Nigeria not Italy. I only tapped from my local government experience. I can proudly say that I did not bribe my way in.

Well in Nigeria ,the local system of administration was good and represented the people ,but was destroyed by military.There were checks because you came from that community ,all that as changed after the introduction of the federal structure and revenue sharing formula
Re: Do We Really Have A Democracy In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by Reggie2(m): 8:30pm On Nov 09, 2011
bottom line is that everyone paid.

asha 80

This will suggest that if people know about projects and that their leaders are holding them at ransom, questions will be asked
Re: Do We Really Have A Democracy In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by asha80(m): 8:32pm On Nov 09, 2011
olas2u:

Well in Nigeria ,the local system of administration was good and represented the people ,but was destroyed by military.There were checks because you came from that community ,all that as changed after the introduction of the federal structure and revenue sharing formula

reggie2 olas 2 has explained it all to you
Re: Do We Really Have A Democracy In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by Reggie2(m): 8:40pm On Nov 09, 2011
Back to topic: then we don't have real democracy. If this is the situation, why do many people put so much energy on rotational presidency instead of addressing real issue of representation at all levels? It beats my imagination. Nigeria is full of enlightened minds.
Re: Do We Really Have A Democracy In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by asha80(m): 8:42pm On Nov 09, 2011
Reggie2:

Back to topic: then we don't have real democracy. If this is the situation, why do many people put so much energy on rotational presidency instead of addressing real issue of representation at all levels? It beats my imagination. Nigeria is full of enlightened minds.

answer = oil money
Re: Do We Really Have A Democracy In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Nov 09, 2011
Nothing will change in our live time
Re: Do We Really Have A Democracy In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by Reggie2(m): 8:54pm On Nov 09, 2011
What may likely be a solution to this?
Re: Do We Really Have A Democracy In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by asha80(m): 8:57pm On Nov 09, 2011
Reggie2:

What may likely be a solution to this?

a very serious upheaval with same effect as pre civil war scenario.believe me these issues will not be resolved without some sort of serious chaos happening occurring first
Re: Do We Really Have A Democracy In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by Reggie2(m): 8:57pm On Nov 09, 2011
Things can change faster than we think and hope.
Re: Do We Really Have A Democracy In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by Reggie2(m): 9:01pm On Nov 09, 2011
asha 80:

a very serious upheaval with same effect as pre civil war scenario.believe me these issues will not be resolved without some sort of serious chaos happening occurring first

I nurse this fear though I do not wish it for anyone. Although I now live in Europe with my children, I still remember horrors of the Biafran war.
Re: Do We Really Have A Democracy In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by asha80(m): 9:02pm On Nov 09, 2011
Reggie2:

I nurse this fear though I do not wish it for anyone. Although I now live in Europe with my children, I still remember horrors of the Biafran war.

believe that is what will happen
Re: Do We Really Have A Democracy In Nigeria Compared To Other Countries? by Reggie2(m): 9:06pm On Nov 09, 2011
I weep for myself in self exile and for my dear country in bondage.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Professor Osinbajo And All APC Members Must Read This! / 2015 Gov Election Survey And Prediction / NASS Leadership: Tinubu, Offered Us Deals –PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.