Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,834 members, 7,817,452 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:29 PM

Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? (6989 Views)

Peter Obi's I Am The Structure Stickers Take Over Social Media Space / FG To Regulate Social Media - Lai Mohammed / Plateau: How Nigerian Govt Encourage Murderers – Amnesty International (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? by AntiChristian: 12:09pm On Feb 13
Yes!
Re: Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? by eliteweb(m): 12:09pm On Feb 13
Let them regulate Insecurities and Governance first.

The Oppression is already on the high. Now they want to shut people up.
Re: Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? by Xxxylxxxx: 12:09pm On Feb 13
freeGiftOfGod:
Regulation or not, free speech must not be gagged.

Jesus heals, Jesus delivers, He helps . Come to Him today and you will be brought out of darkness into His wonderful light, out of the dungeon into His glorious liberty.

Pray this: Heavenly Father, I believe that Jesus is the son of God, that He died on the cross for my sins and rose again on the third day to my justification. I repent of my sins (mention them) and ask that you forgive me and wash me clean by the blood of Jesus.
I receive and confess Jesus as my personal Lord and saviour. Thank you Lord. DM
Can you pray over one thing for me. If answered ( within few months , I will know ), then, I will do anything you ask of me.
Re: Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? by Iamanoited: 12:10pm On Feb 13
REGULATE THE ECONOMY FIRST, ADDRESS FAPRES FOTCS AND CTC FOCS TRFG BEFORE WE TALK ABOUT REGULATING THE MEDIA.
Re: Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? by PlutoChief: 12:10pm On Feb 13
Will it solve the current situation in Nigeria?
Re: Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? by Inobeyourmate: 12:11pm On Feb 13
They should biko, at least, it will reduce the rate at which Nigerians constitute nuisance online, it’s just too much, especially that TikTok
Re: Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? by spiSeyi: 12:12pm On Feb 13
How I wish that Gen. Sani Abacha is still the president till date . "Freedom before speech is guaranteed but can't be guaranteed after speech" cool. Do anyhow and see Dele Giwa treatment, Nigerian SM needs cruel hands it's too toxic (anybiody can just say or do anything to trend)

1 Like

Re: Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? by Iamanoited: 12:13pm On Feb 13
REGULATE THE ECONOMY FIRST, ADDRESS FAPRES FOTCS AND CTC FOCS TRFG BEFORE WE TALK ABOUT REGULATING THE MEDIA.
YOU CAN'T CLOSE THE PEOPLE'S MOUTHS TO SHOUT WHILE YOU ARE ABOUT TO KILL THEM.
Re: Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? by annisy(f): 12:16pm On Feb 13
Na ogun go kill them!
If they are looking for what to regulate let them state with
(1)employment for masses
(2) free, quality and compulsory education for all Nigerians
(3)free and quality health care
(4) cheap and affordable housing
(5) price of basic commodity
Our government in this part of the world doesn't exist to serve the masses rather to serve the interests and benefits of those in power.
Finish.
Re: Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? by Ifybest77: 12:16pm On Feb 13
uche87:
The conversation about regulating social media in Nigeria has refused to go away for some years now. It has been raised again by the Chief of Staff to the President, Femi Gbajabiamila, and has been supported by other public figures. What makes the idea of social media regulation very intriguing is that it is being raised by politicians. It makes the issue very questionable and highly insidious because Nigerian politicians have sworn never to act in the public interest. This is as alarming as an armed robber complaining about the security architecture in Nigeria. I will be analyzing the issue in sub-sections to make the piece an easy read.

The transition of the Nigerian social media space

I have watched the transition of the Nigerian social media space as an active participant over the years. It used to be like dating networks. The real essence never made sense to a host of Nigerians. Later it became an avenue to connect with old friends who were scattered across the world. Some people would later turn it into a comparative tool for classism i.e. 'I better pass you'. Others used it to monitor the progress of people, especially the ones abroad. Businesses and music artistes soon started taking advantage of the increasing population of netizens. The politicians also came in for 'political business' in the process. Social media soon became a battleground among opposing political groups for who are the saints, sinners, and saviours of the hapless masses. It became a viable field for image-laundering for public figures and the profiles of politicians running for offices were highly exaggerated. Sponsored lies and gross misinformation were also orchestrated by political opponents against themselves. This was how the defilement of social media gradually started. Incrementally, these political rivalries on social media raised the political consciousness of Nigerians. They developed an interest in politics, started following political developments, and jumped on trends.

How the problem started

Today, the Nigerian social media space remains more polarised than ever. If you ever want to experience the heterogeneous structure of Nigeria, wait until the election period and you will be shocked about how people are divided across political, religious, tribal, geographical, economic, and even educational lines. After that, do a comparative study between the electioneering campaign period and the mood during the recently concluded AFCON 2024 where Nigeria united and stood behind the Super Eagles.

As political actors plot their campaign strategies, they factor in the control of mostly Twitter in their political plots. Almost all mainstream politicians have social media influencers/operators under their payroll. These individuals are tasked with spreading desirable narratives including falsehoods. In my view, the downside of social media is a monster created by the same people calling for the regulation of the system.

Enters the legendary Lai Mohammed

The Nigerian social media space was significantly polluted in the heat of the 2015 general elections by the then National Publicity Secretary of the ruling APC - Lai Mohammed. He hounded his party's political antagonists with humongous lies that left the devil shell-shocked. His winning strategy of disinformation was the needed catalyst for other questionable individuals in Nigeria highly skilled in spreading lies. The nodus of fake news went out of hand that the pioneer, Lai Mohammed became baffled at some point. He later advocated for the regulation of social media using his capacity as the Minister of Information.
It is not advisable to trust the intentions of Nigerian politicians. Their original plan is to muzzle the social media space. They are fully aware of the dire economic situation of Nigerians. Their concern is that they wish Nigerians could suffer in silence and allow them to plunder public resources in peace. They don't want to be accountable for their actions. Politicians by nature have no definite stand in life on any public discourse. Today, they are the defenders and tomorrow they play the aggressors. They keep swinging both ways like bisexuals!

Social media is already self-regulatory

Do we have issues with social media in Nigeria? Yes! Do we need regulation? No! The social media space is already self-regulatory. The best way to fact-check any news report is to check the comment section of the news article. If you have a critical and discerning mind, you will see that comment that will either enlighten you or increase your doubts about its validity and reliability. In case the report matters to you, go further by searching for it on other mainstream media platforms. Social media platforms also flag fake content, reduce their visibility, block certain keywords, and sanction fake news peddlers. Furthermore, the laws of libel and slander in Nigeria already cover social media activities. Now and then, lawsuits are seen flying around against people accused of defamation. The Nigerian police also have a structure to combat fake news.
The Nigerian politicians don't have genuine intentions as I have overemphasized. Fake news to them is that scathing news report that doesn't favour them. Social media regulation is the resemblance of a legal way of suppressing dissenting voices. It is the Chinese and Malaysian blueprint of social media censorship. You can't solve a problem that you are a party to.

Osahon George Osayimwen writes from England.
The Nigerian government should start by regulating prices of food items by setting up a price control board. After that, they can regulate the social media space.
Re: Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? by alfredfrddy(m): 12:16pm On Feb 13
Let them regulate the prices of food and other commodity that's killing Nigerians first.
Re: Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? by Shikena(m): 12:16pm On Feb 13
No need for special regulation in my opinion. Just be up and doing when people report instances of malicious or false accusations online. People making allegations must be prepared to defend themselves with law enforcement when a complaint is filed. Just apply the law and stop with this 'regulation' debate. All the uncontrollable cho cho cho clowns with no home training should know that societies have been governed by basic laws long before the birth of their great great grandfathers. Pick them up to defend their diarrhea mouth. Shikena!
Re: Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? by Emman08: 12:18pm On Feb 13
Simple answer is a capital NO. APC is slowly eroding freedoms until we find ourselves in a full blown civilian dictatorship. Social media "regulation" will further silence Nigerians, drifting us further towards a totalitarian state. Nigerians must resist this attempt with everything
Re: Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? by uba1991: 12:20pm On Feb 13
Why? Yoruba people benefited from the bridge now they want to cut the bridge after crossing.
Re: Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? by olatuns2017: 12:20pm On Feb 13
uche87:
The conversation about regulating social media in Nigeria has refused to go away for some years now. It has been raised again by the Chief of Staff to the President, Femi Gbajabiamila, and has been supported by other public figures. What makes the idea of social media regulation very intriguing is that it is being raised by politicians. It makes the issue very questionable and highly insidious because Nigerian politicians have sworn never to act in the public interest. This is as alarming as an armed robber complaining about the security architecture in Nigeria. I will be analyzing the issue in sub-sections to make the piece an easy read.

I have watched the transition of the Nigerian social media space as an active participant over the years. It used to be like dating networks. The real essence never made sense to a host of Nigerians. Later it became an avenue to connect with old friends who were scattered across the world. Some people would later turn it into a comparative tool for classism i.e. 'I better pass you'. Others used it to monitor the progress of people, especially the ones abroad. Businesses and music artistes soon started taking advantage of the increasing population of netizens. The politicians also came in for 'political business' in the process. Social media soon became a battleground among opposing political groups for who are the saints, sinners, and saviours of the hapless masses. It became a viable field for image-laundering for public figures and the profiles of politicians running for offices were highly exaggerated. Sponsored lies and gross misinformation were also orchestrated by political opponents against themselves. This was how the defilement of social media gradually started. Incrementally, these political rivalries on social media raised the political consciousness of Nigerians. They developed an interest in politics, started following political developments, and jumped on trends.

How the problem started

Today, the Nigerian social media space remains more polarised than ever. If you ever want to experience the heterogeneous structure of Nigeria, wait until the election period and you will be shocked about how people are divided across political, religious, tribal, geographical, economic, and even educational lines. After that, do a comparative study between the electioneering campaign period and the mood during the recently concluded AFCON 2024 where Nigeria united and stood behind the Super Eagles.

As political actors plot their campaign strategies, they factor in the control of mostly Twitter in their political plots. Almost all mainstream politicians have social media influencers/operators under their payroll. These individuals are tasked with spreading desirable narratives including falsehoods. In my view, the downside of social media is a monster created by the same people calling for the regulation of the system.

The Nigerian social media space was significantly polluted in the heat of the 2015 general elections by the then National Publicity Secretary of the ruling APC - Lai Mohammed. He hounded his party's political antagonists with humongous lies that left the devil shell-shocked. His winning strategy of disinformation was the needed catalyst for other questionable individuals in Nigeria highly skilled in spreading lies. The nodus of fake news went out of hand that the pioneer, Lai Mohammed became baffled at some point. He later advocated for the regulation of social media using his capacity as the Minister of Information.
It is not advisable to trust the intentions of Nigerian politicians. Their original plan is to muzzle the social media space. They are fully aware of the dire economic situation of Nigerians. Their concern is that they wish Nigerians could suffer in silence and allow them to plunder public resources in peace. They don't want to be accountable for their actions. Politicians by nature have no definite stand in life on any public discourse. Today, they are the defenders and tomorrow they play the aggressors. They keep swinging both ways like bisexuals!

Do we have issues with social media in Nigeria? Yes! Do we need regulation? No! The social media space is already self-regulatory. The best way to fact-check any news report is to check the comment section of the news article. If you have a critical and discerning mind, you will see that comment that will either enlighten you or increase your doubts about its validity and reliability. In case the report matters to you, go further by searching for it on other mainstream media platforms. Social media platforms also flag fake content, reduce their visibility, block certain keywords, and sanction fake news peddlers. Furthermore, the laws of libel and slander in Nigeria already cover social media activities. Now and then, lawsuits are seen flying around against people accused of defamation. The Nigerian police also have a structure to combat fake news.
The Nigerian politicians don't have genuine intentions as I have overemphasized. Fake news to them is that scathing news report that doesn't favour them. Social media regulation is the resemblance of a legal way of suppressing dissenting voices. It is the Chinese and Malaysian blueprint of social media censorship. You can't solve a problem that you are a party to.

Yes
Re: Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? by BigIyanga: 12:21pm On Feb 13
Catapault:
Yes they should.

Definitely.

If it will save us from Aisha Yesufu’s screeching voice… undecided
Just remember that one day, you’re going to be in opposition.. dont scream at us lol
Re: Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? by uba1991: 12:22pm On Feb 13
When buhari wanted to regulate it , Yoruba stood against it now they want to stop people from expressing their minds.
Re: Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? by Tonytonex(m): 12:23pm On Feb 13
Will that brings down the price of commodities in the market?
Re: Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? by Fiscus105(m): 12:25pm On Feb 13
People are supposed to be held accountable to whatever they say, human beings shouldn't be totally freed to say whatever they want against others.

If they dnt regulate it, a time is comming in future in which entire nation would be consumed by false information.

1 Like

Re: Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? by onuman: 12:26pm On Feb 13
Naira will soon hit N2000=$1.

Regulate/control inflation and the rate the Naira is crumbling, not think of regulating how people react to the spiralling inflation and hunger you are subjecting them to. Not even Adolf Hitler would be contemptuous to Germans as Tinubu and his henchmen are to the people of Nigeria.
Re: Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? by Okwyjesus(m): 12:28pm On Feb 13
uche87:

How the problem started

Yes. The hatred is high.

1 Like

Re: Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? by gaskiyamagana: 12:39pm On Feb 13
freeGiftOfGod:
Regulation or not, free speech must not be gagged.

Jesus heals, Jesus delivers, He helps . Come to Him today and you will be brought out of darkness into His wonderful light, out of the dungeon into His glorious liberty.

Pray this: Heavenly Father, I believe that Jesus is the son of God, that He died on the cross for my sins and rose again on the third day to my justification. I repent of my sins (mention them) and ask that you forgive me and wash me clean by the blood of Jesus.
I receive and confess Jesus as my personal Lord and saviour. Thank you Lord. DM
What connects son of god, died on the cross, repent of sin, personal law and personal saviour WITH the topic on ground?
Later, type of you will be accusing government of right step in wrong way; were not guilty of such accusation with the post?
Re: Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? by christistruth01: 12:45pm On Feb 13
Yes FG needs to regulate Social Media

Even if you put Politics aside there is pure Anti Ethnic incitement against many Ethnic Groups almost to the point of Rwanda going on as we speak they are not going after the offenders but their entire Ethnic Groups

They are the Black Version of Adolf Hitler's Nazis and are Capable of What the Nazis did to others if given even a quarter the Chance

US and UK would never allow that

1 Like

Re: Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? by WizBLANCE(m): 12:50pm On Feb 13
I will thank them a lot. Data consumption is becoming a thing Abeg

1 Like

Re: Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? by rachael628: 12:50pm On Feb 13
This same APC?This same APC?...
Re: Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? by Dengoh(m): 12:59pm On Feb 13
As a matter of urgency. The irresponsible behaviour of many on SM is security treat.
No responsible government should fold their arms and watch .

1 Like

Re: Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? by colerado(m): 1:00pm On Feb 13
Yes.. Since that is the only thing the govt Knw how to do.. Concern them self with matters that doesn't bring progress but oppression.. Will not blame them.. Will blame the nation that put them into power.. We deserve every bit of disrespect we get from our leaders
Re: Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? by geewean(m): 1:01pm On Feb 13
A staunch supporter of this government or the APC should intelligently explain what direct impacts regulations on social media will be on our vegetable Naira?

Aisha Yusuf said that Nigeria doesn't have a government but she only recycled what Tinubu said about Jonathan.They called him a clueless man and even Omojuwa called him a pig.

Ordinary song they did for Baba hand dey shake , body dey shake Baba still dey shout Emilokan......lol they said he they are mocking his health.

They taught it was easy.They played dirty under the guise of being a smart politician thinking when they get there they will outperform him and label Jagaban as the father of governance in Africa......lol.

Nelson Mandela fight for south Africa freedom will forever outdo Tinubu achievements.

They are scared....karma is the only force that will work against Tinubu.Well he just want to answer that name one time president hence his watery political philosophy called Emilokan
Re: Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? by valentineuwakwe(m): 1:08pm On Feb 13
For what?
Re: Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? by qtx(m): 1:13pm On Feb 13
Catapault:
Yes they should.

Definitely.

If it will save us from Aisha Yesufu’s screeching voice… undecided
APC Member!
Re: Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? by Jayhome24: 1:14pm On Feb 13
Yes it should be regulated despite I stood against it during Liar Moha+mad era I never knew the worst was loading till obidients cultist came on board and bastardized our social media space in an irresponsible manner so because of obidients our social media must be regulated with stiffed measure.

Hello, I don't care whatever anyone says about my post I repeat I give no shit.....waste your time and your data no concern me.

1 Like

Re: Should The Nigerian Govt Regulate The Social Media Space? by Acidosis(m): 1:16pm On Feb 13
I always consider politicians who talk about social media regulation to be nothing but brainless clowns. I mean, even Mark Zuckerberg, with all his resources and intellect, has not been able to properly regulate just Facebook. Do you people think that social media regulation is about ballot box snatching?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria's big boys - Pic / Oyinkansola Saraki Hits Bukola Saraki Hard On TVC' s Your View / VP Osinbajo Presides Over FEC Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.