Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,653 members, 7,827,407 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:33 AM

Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? (13265 Views)

Harry Potter And The Sorcerers Stone / Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Book 7! / Best Harry Potter Book? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by nferyn(m): 9:48am On Mar 22, 2007
The measure of all things

Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by Chiz2(m): 12:12pm On Apr 10, 2007
i'd say nigerian films have better chances of turning kids to witchcraft
than harry potter.
What people don't seem 2 realise is that adventure stories are a way to
escape boredom and the more out of reality it is, the better and Harry p. is just that - a very good adventure story.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by Nobody: 12:22pm On Apr 11, 2007
hmm,
do the lord of the rings, the narnia chronicles, the chronicles of thomas convenant(to name a few other fantasy classics) encourage witchcraft?

do technothrillers(ludlum, clancy, forsyth) foster a desire to work in government sagencies(SSS, CIA, FBI, NSA)

do (heh heh) mills and boon encourage promiscuity?

with all the scienec fiction ever written (Niven, Clarke, Brin, Heinlein) how come we are still on earth? those colonies in other systems aren't even on the drawing board!

the prime function of literature is entertainment! if you are looking for a medium that influences your kids, try music videos and televison ads grin
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by Reverend(m): 6:19pm On Apr 14, 2007
Well said OYB!

Some people should get a life and stop ranting on how books such as Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings drive people to witchcraft. They are just enteratinment.

The biggest witchcraft book of them all is the Bible.

At least in Harry Potter, they do not kill thousands of people by parting the sea, then closing the waves and drown peopleĀ  tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by Chiz2(m): 12:49pm On Apr 18, 2007
@Reverend
u're reaching! Claiming Harry Potter encourages witchcraft is one
thing but claiming d same 4 d bible is at best insane
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by manp1: 11:04am On Apr 19, 2007
HI SEUN,

You see harry potter is an estoric book which you've to read in an esoteric way to fully understand what it means.

the book is actually talking about the nature of being, dat man has to develop from is humanoid(human nature full of EGO to a spiritual bieng full of CHRIST by creating a solar body for himself). The book went on to use harry as the case study of everyhuman being. in short, the book describes how a man can dissolve the EGO so that the spirit nature can rule.it's in that stage that he cannot be sick, poor,dejected etc else he alllows it, as he becomes a master in his own world.

hope u understand the little gist. i can help you undertand the more anyway. the practises in the film(magic, witchcraft etc deicts human quest for the real power that can only be achieved by increasing in the spirit nature and decreasing in the human nature EGO).

PEACE
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by DewDrop(f): 11:08am On Apr 19, 2007
[center]LMAO@ man p's comment

grin
hahahhaha
"dissolve the EGO so the spirit nature can blah blah blah"
Abeg
It's just a book!

Just read it as a story - a fictional story
cool[/center]
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by firstborn: 3:30pm On Apr 27, 2007
a lot of people just take things for granted and will start rationalizing what they dont know.They think it's just an ordinary "harmless" book. U are so deceived and u dont know it. Harry Porter is devilish in its entirety. Whether it makes kids cultivate the culkture of reading or do other things seemingly to their benefits, that is why it has to be popular, so that it can influence kids especially.
My advice to u guyz, dont buy or give those dirty books to your kids or to urself even if u r an adult, u will regret it much later if not now if u do otherwise.
Come to think of it, why must it be a witch book b4 it could get kids to start cultivating the culture of reading. Devil is a master deceiver and ppl are falling for it?. What a tragedy.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by simmy(m): 3:07pm On May 23, 2007
@MANP
LMAO!!!!!!!
ive laffed so much it hurts!
drugs are bad 4 u man!!!!!
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by sykboi(m): 9:35pm On May 24, 2007
I totally disagree, it doesnt support witch craft it just isnt suitable for kids under the age of twelve.This book is a really good book which should be posted in the teenage section in the library
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by allonym: 5:41am On Jun 01, 2007
firstborn:

a lot of people just take things for granted and will start rationalizing what they don't know.They think it's just an ordinary "harmless" book. U are so deceived and u don't know it. Harry Porter is devilish in its entirety. Whether it makes kids cultivate the culkture of reading or do other things seemingly to their benefits, that is why it has to be popular, so that it can influence kids especially.
My advice to u guys, don't buy or give those dirty books to your kids or to yourself even if you're an adult, u will regret it much later if not now if u do otherwise.
Come to think of it, why must it be a witch book before it could get kids to start cultivating the culture of reading. Devil is a master deceiver and people are falling for it?. What a tragedy.

Hmm, so, before I take for granted that this post is complete **, why don't you tell me what I DON"T know. . .like your factual sources that the book Harry Potter is indeed devilish. Perhaps you have a copy of JK Rowlings pact with the devil. Or you have video evidence of your using the book to conjure up some spirits. . .
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by moondust(m): 2:15pm On Jun 01, 2007
Nigerians will never cease to amaze me.
those Harry Potter books, and movies are a complete insult to witchcraft
its just witchcraft cartoonized and has less chances of turning our kids to witches and wizards
than our beloved Home videos.

1 Like

Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by Nobody: 8:53pm On Sep 06, 2008
man p:

HI SEUN,

You see harry potter is an estoric book which you've to read in an esoteric way to fully understand what it means.

the book is actually talking about the nature of being, that man has to develop from is humanoid(human nature full of EGO to a spiritual bieng full of CHRIST by creating a solar body for himself). The book went on to use harry as the case study of everyhuman being. in short, the book describes how a man can dissolve the EGO so that the spirit nature can rule.it's in that stage that he cannot be sick, poor,dejected etc else he alllows it, as he becomes a master in his own world.

hope u understand the little gist. i can help you undertand the more anyway. the practises in the film(magic, witchcraft etc deicts human quest for the real power that can only be achieved by increasing in the spirit nature and decreasing in the human nature EGO).

PEACE

I'm sorry, but you haven't read a word of the Harry Potter books.

sykboi:

I totally disagree, it doesnt support witch craft it just isnt suitable for kids under the age of twelve.This book is a really good book which should be posted in the teenage section in the library

Adults also read Harry Potter.

I have read EVERY Harry Potter book. If you read them all, in the correct order, you'll understand why people read them. JKR is an awesome writer. Inexplicably awesome.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by bluespice(f): 7:26pm On Sep 15, 2008
oh my gosh!
going thru this topic i cant help but notice the myopic nature of most Nigerians
its such a pity tho that religion has beclouded our reasonings

anyway i have read all 7 books
i coider it a shame that the series has come to an end so soon as i think it has
the said book is a work of fiction beautifully written by a skilled and highly imaginative lady
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by onyinye2(f): 7:27pm On Sep 15, 2008
My mom didn't allow us the read Harry Potter books nor go watch their movies. So we always had to sneak into the library and read them.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by Morenike3(f): 9:53pm On Sep 15, 2008
Harry Porter: Boring movies/Boring books
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by darastic(m): 11:38am On Sep 16, 2008
Harry potter's films and the likes do encourge witchcrafty.I wanna make you realise that even if the thing is not real you've gotten the believe when you read and you "will" jokingly be using the word in the hp stuff.my uncle's kid are this type that whenever they watch film they begin to demosatrate it some few minutes after.When he realised they were been affected(im very rest assured its not this kids alone but all kids that are also affected) he had to ban watching of some film at home.Harry Potter's film really demostrated witchcrafty and it growing wildly in kids.think somethng should be done about this.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by urch45: 2:53pm On Sep 08, 2014
I heard someone saying he wanted to publish. Here's a good one. They accept online manuscript submission. Try cassava republic. Though I dont know that much about them or their website. Another sure one is www.blacktowerpublishers.com.ng They offer editing, proofreading, translation services. Even script review. Have only used their services once.
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by ivfily: 6:47am On Nov 20, 2016
Yo
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by Nobody: 4:26am On Jan 30, 2017
Seun:
I have read Harry Potter books 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. it is supposed to be a children's book, but it talks about death and witchcraft, and for some reason children are reading it!

Some people believe it encourages witchcraft, and should be avoided for religious reasons. What's your opinion?
lol suen
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by Jacktheripper: 5:01pm On Oct 27, 2017
You guys are complaining about Harry Potter,I see kids of under 13 watching Game of thrones
Re: Does Harry Potter Encourage Witchcraft? by meobizy(f): 5:33pm On Jul 04, 2018
If the books encourage reading then I'm all for it. Here on nairaland where majority of the users fall under the 16 - 24 age group a lot of members do not read posts before commenting. As for the witchcraft allegation, how can one practice something imaginary? People talk about spirits and voodoo but have never seen them manifest before.

My little sister read all the Twilight books at age 14. I believe they were more mature than her age but it was better she read and understood literature than wasting away her young brain. All these minor book reading here and there also play a role when it comes to studies of an educational form.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Everybody Is A Genius / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize / Toke(the Girl Child)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.