Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,282 members, 7,815,478 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:03 PM

Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents? (5368 Views)

Post Songs Play By Your Parents When Reminiscing About Growing Up As A Kid. / Why Do Ibo Men Get Married Late Compared To Other Tribes? / What's The Best Advice Your Parents Ever Gave You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents? by silvertuke(m): 6:51am On Nov 10, 2011
I remember some years back my Dad sent me a message; I lost the money he gave me when I came back and told him about it. He started shouting at me and said Igbo boys at my age has already started counting millions and some are even controlling their Oga shop worth millions of Naira.
I felt bad But today things don change, sometimes I just wish I could remind him, LOL.
Re: Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents? by NnamdiN: 6:59am On Nov 10, 2011
such comparisons hurt wella, and some parents don't seem to know that. I once made a little mistake, my dad was like, "if it had been my younger brother(not the one following me o), he wouldn't make such a silly mistake, as if it wasn't enough insult already, he said my sis(d last born) wuda done better.
Bottomline:I hate comparisons of any kind
Re: Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents? by Nobody: 7:11am On Nov 10, 2011
They do that all the time, "Your friends are doing this" "They are doing that."

It don't get to me anymore. It don't even mean a thing to me. Thank God for the thick skin I have developed. Infact no one sh!!!t gets to me anymore.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents? by slimyem: 8:20am On Nov 10, 2011
mine's fair.my dad gets to compare me to my mum.he usually goes like *your mum will never do a thing like that*.
I hate it like hell.i'm ME not anyone else.
Re: Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents? by KenJADE(m): 9:09am On Nov 10, 2011
they do it all d tym. I'm nw used to it. Doesn't mean a thing to me anymore grin
Re: Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents? by Dyt(f): 9:11am On Nov 10, 2011
i love my mum
she s neva even wen i mk er so mad
Re: Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents? by Idowuogbo(f): 9:17am On Nov 10, 2011
Me i get compared to my sexcie twinnies or dadddi , wen i do sometin extreme my mum wud say "see as she long like her papa". l always reply from distance saying "u marry d guy bcus u like climbing trees na "but d ko shoe wey she go stone me na only brucee lee and me fit dodge d angle cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents? by freecocoa(f): 9:31am On Nov 10, 2011
^
Craze gal.

@topic,I can't remember my dad doing that but my mum used to do it,there's this particular girl she normally compares my sisters and I to in church,its always,chioma comes to church early,chioma speaks in tongues,chioma doesn't even make up,chioma is in the choir,chioma doesn't wear skimpy clothes,chioma greets everyone in church,chioma dances when she's going to give offering(but you people act as if you don't want to give the offering,the money is not even yours,yet you frown when goin for offering)chioma this,chioma that,at a point we come dey suspect say chioma fit be her daughter sef,but when the pastor announced one sunday that,chioma and the choir master are being excommunicated cos he impregnated her,no be person tell my mama to stop the comparison,she even apologised to us.
Re: Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents? by iice(f): 2:02pm On Nov 10, 2011
No. My parents believe in enforcing self worth. You are you and everybody else are them.
Even when my youngest bro was giving them a hard time. . .not one word on him being like his mates.
Re: Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents? by Elpieda: 4:37pm On Nov 10, 2011
My mum compare the relationship other daughters have with their mums with my relationship with her. She compare my younger sister to me and she even says some other women;s daughters are doing this and that to her that why don't i do the same, It used to annoy me so much that it reduced my self worth but after her doing it ever so often, I am so immune to it now and when she compares me to others I just let it go. I guess I have developed a thick skin for it. I no send again. Life is too short to dwell on that.

So I guess its normal with our parents. They are just trying to make us better people so sometimes they don't know a better way to communicate how they want us to be the greatest we can be than comparing us with our peers.
Re: Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents? by silvertuke(m): 5:05pm On Nov 10, 2011
freecocoa:

^
Craze gal.

@topic,I can't remember my dad doing that but my mum used to do it,there's this particular girl she normally compares my sisters and I to in church,its always,chioma comes to church early,chioma speaks in tongues,chioma doesn't even make up,chioma is in the choir,chioma doesn't wear skimpy clothes,chioma greets everyone in church,chioma dances when she's going to give offering(but you people act as if you don't want to give the offering,the money is not even yours,yet you frown when goin for offering)chioma this,chioma that,at a point we come dey suspect say chioma fit be her daughter sef,but when the pastor announced one sunday that,chioma and the choir master are being excommunicated cos he impregnated her,no be person tell my mama to stop the comparison,she even apologised to us.

LOL Mum coordinate her self when Chioma don change the story. but all this girls when dey form holy holy na them dey spoil pass oooooo but why? them go dey do am uncode. thank God say nor be pastor even score the goal.
Re: Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents? by kokoye(m): 5:15pm On Nov 10, 2011
They used to do that.

funny parents.

Now that theyre own children are doing fine, they want to cover them up cheesy

And i'm like "why dont you brag about ur kids the way the way you used to rub other kids in our faces back then?"

Na so life be sha.
Re: Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents? by Tiana155(f): 9:09am On Nov 11, 2011
Wen i was with my parents i used to think they are just wicked, you know comparing me with my friends. Now i see its everywhere. Funny though. Lol grin
Re: Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents? by Vicrobor(m): 9:50am On Nov 11, 2011
Altho most parents are fond of doing that, my parents have never compared me to others.
Re: Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents? by obelisk(m): 10:00am On Nov 11, 2011
of course! thats how to be a parent! tongue
Re: Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents? by Nobody: 10:13am On Nov 11, 2011
They use to when i was much younger,, But they can't anymore, cuz they know virtually well that it's possible for the 3rd world war5 to erupt from a simple family like mine, grin

Av killed b4 and i would kill again angry
Re: Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents? by Afam4eva(m): 10:14am On Nov 11, 2011
I hate comparisons like mad. Just scold me if you want to but don't compare me to someone especially if the person is younger than me. It hurts real bad.
Re: Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents? by Nobody: 10:20am On Nov 11, 2011
@ OP
My dad dared not, otherwise I would have compared him with his colleagues (some were even his junior colleagues sef) that looted billions and secured their descendants' future while he was there forming 'Mr. Integrity', making us toil to make headway, lol.
Re: Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents? by Sijo01(f): 10:30am On Nov 11, 2011
My dad has never voiced it out, ***him kno say me nor dey carry last***
My mom, OMG, she always say's i gat strong mind/heart like my dada & mi always response by saying "NA SO NA or NA WIN AM or B4 UNKOR"
Re: Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents? by Afam4eva(m): 10:32am On Nov 11, 2011
pro01:

@ OP
My dad dared not, otherwise I would have compared him with his colleagues (some were even his junior colleagues sef) that looted billions and secured their descendants' future while he was there forming 'Mr. Integrity', making us toil to make headway, lol.

Your dad and mine have something in common.
Re: Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents? by stepo707: 10:36am On Nov 11, 2011
Yea both of em used to and i hated it.Guess its common with parents i guess undecided
Re: Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents? by dublinkmy6: 10:49am On Nov 11, 2011
Just like i was fed with it this morning. It doesn't make any form of sense for me. A child is a product of a unique father and a unique mother, and the child can only demonstrate xteristics resulting from deposits of traits and ubpringing invested into the child largely by the parents. Comparing your child to another child of different parentage and upbringing begs of hypocrisy.
Re: Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents? by IbroSaunks(m): 10:51am On Nov 11, 2011
iice:

No.  My parents believe in enforcing self worth.  You are you and everybody else are them.
Even when my youngest bro was giving them a hard time. . .not one word on him being like his mates.  

can i share parents with u please? my mum compares me with my eldest brother all d time, and truth is, i don't even want to be as good as he was, hell i wanna f'ing live a little. i even dey try sef, ai cant kill myself jare!!
Re: Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents? by anuforoudo(f): 10:56am On Nov 11, 2011
My parents did it a lot. The funny thing is this I have surprised them recently when I told them I was going to pay my wife's bride price.
My mates who have married far back might be coming for a naming ceremony soon while they are still expecting their babies.
It is not good to make comparison especially when we know destinies are not the same.
Re: Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents? by Basildon1(m): 11:01am On Nov 11, 2011
I think when the comparison is done all the time, it's not good. But sometimes, they cant help it especially when a kid is being stubborn. It works sumtimes!!
Re: Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents? by mystikal(m): 11:15am On Nov 11, 2011
Never minded as long as the comparison was fair and with someone doing excellently well.

If they ever over did it, woulda easily compared them with other parents too, shikena.
Re: Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents? by Orikinla(m): 11:23am On Nov 11, 2011
No.

I was a divine child and God sent to my parents. So, they regarded me as a different person.
Re: Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents? by BoOOosHBoy: 11:42am On Nov 11, 2011
So many times by my parents
Re: Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents? by Nobody: 12:00pm On Nov 11, 2011
@ Topic: No, I haven't been compared with someone else by my parents.
Re: Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents? by funmeme(f): 12:11pm On Nov 11, 2011
only my dad did  alot of this annoying comparism while i was growing up, there was dis born again girl opposite our house that goes to church almost everyday,she doesn't wear trouser or ear ring so at any little mistake my father will let u knw dat d girl wudnt do such but as God wld have it, we gained admission to ilorin together and she was impregnated at year2. when i got back home i ofcos was free from the comparism wahala as she cudnt go bak to school cos her parents bundled her to d guy's place. no one told my father to stop, he just learnt

now when i look back, i jst smile cos we are not in anyway in d same level at allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll,  na by God sha. i hope not to ever compare ma child with any when i av one, its demoralising.
Re: Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents? by silibaba: 12:50pm On Nov 11, 2011
FOR WOT? angry angry
Re: Have You Ever Been Compared With Somebody Else By Your Parents? by INFO70: 12:59pm On Nov 11, 2011
I had many from dad. To me its meant to make us sit up period. undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Any Relaxation Spot/ Recreational Center In Ijebu Area? / Is My Child A Bastard? / Affordable Mobile Air Conditioners For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.