Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,895 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:53 PM

Bank Fraud: Nigerians Knock Zenith Bank As Customer’s N6m Vanishes From Account - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Bank Fraud: Nigerians Knock Zenith Bank As Customer’s N6m Vanishes From Account (59 Views)

Credit Deduction Theft From Account- Photo / E-Naira App Vanishes On Google Playstore Amid Poor Reviews / Allen Onyema Indicted For Bank Fraud And Money Laundering In America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Bank Fraud: Nigerians Knock Zenith Bank As Customer’s N6m Vanishes From Account by Dadola1008: 8:02am On Feb 14
Nigerians on social media are calling out Zenith Bank over a series of fraudulent transactions resulting in the loss of depositors’ funds.

The recent complaints, which put Zenith on top of Twitter’s trend table on Friday afternoon, are part of the series of fraudulent cases that have characterized Nigeria’s banking industry in the past few years.

A Twitter user alleged that “a total of N6 million” was withdrawn from her Zenith account in the early hours of the 21st of October, 2022, in the space of about 15 minutes.

The post has triggered a heavy backlash targeting not only the bank but also the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), the financial sector regulator, for its inability to sanitize the growing rot in the banking industry. The CBN’s insouciance toward the matter is believed to have emboldened the banks to be lax with depositors’ hard-earned money.

“On the 21st of October, 2022, I got to the bank at some minutes before 9am and the unprofessionalism of the bankers put me off,” the victim said. She added that the bank only kept pushing her from one manager to the next.

Today’s episode is just one in the banking fraud series that is increasingly dampening the faith of Nigerians in the banking system. Nigerians believe that most of the fraud cases, from the little to the big, have been perpetrated or aided by the banks’ employees.

“That’s how 23k was removed from my zenith account too just like that. My card was with me, I have a token yet money was removed from my account through Paystack. I went to their office they said there is nothing they can do about. I felt angry and helpless,” Yusuf Olakita, a Zenith Bank customer, lamented.

In 2021, four Nigerian deposit money banks; Access Bank Plc, Guaranty Trust Bank Plc, First City Monument Bank, and Wema Bank – collectively lost a total of N1.77 billion to fraudulent activities involving the banks’ employees and consumers, according to the 2021 financial statements of the banks.

With the rot fast-spreading, the distrust in the banks among Nigerians is increasing. Unfortunately, it is coming at a time when the central bank is pushing its financial inclusion policies that it is largely counting on cashless transactions to achieve.

Financial experts said the rising cases of fraud in the banking industry poses a threat capable of spooking investors’ confidence, especially as the CBN and the FCCPC, Nigeria’s competition and consumer protection agency, are not doing enough to tackle it.

https://www.tekedia.com/bank-fraud-nigerians-knock-zenith-bank-as-customers-n6m-vanishes-from-account/

Re: Bank Fraud: Nigerians Knock Zenith Bank As Customer’s N6m Vanishes From Account by immortalcrown(m): 8:21am On Feb 14
The banking sector should be serious and sincere in beefing up financial security.

As the Nigerians, what goes around comes around. The viper you grow against other people will later not differentiate you from those people.

Some years ago, I told those who supported "Yahoo" that the "Yahoo" boys would soon leave white people and come after black people. Then, misguided people were jubilating, saying the white people are paying for what colonial masters did. Today, most of the fraudsters target Africans.
Re: Bank Fraud: Nigerians Knock Zenith Bank As Customer’s N6m Vanishes From Account by Onyeka90210(m): 8:50am On Feb 14
Hmmm

(1) (Reply)

Transform Your Business With Zoho Consulting Services / Common Resume Mistakes / Transforming E-commerce With SAP Commerce Cloud Spartacus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.