Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,529 members, 7,812,645 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:49 PM

How ‘dundee United’ Became An Insult In Nigeria - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / How ‘dundee United’ Became An Insult In Nigeria (1096 Views)

Nigerian Basketball player, James Nnaji Suffers Racist Insult In Madrid / Why Dundee United Means Fool Or Idiot In Nigeria / How Dundee United Became A Slang For Fools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How ‘dundee United’ Became An Insult In Nigeria by fuckJones(f): 9:03pm On Feb 14
History:
In Nigeria if you do stupid, foolish or silly things, they will call you Dundee, even Simi has a song she sang " Ma Bi ni mi Jamb question!
I no be Dundee!
I no bi fool....

Here is the story
It happens that in 1972 a Scottish foodball team called DUNDEE united come to Nigeria for their pre season friendly matches, they play local teams like Enugu Rengers, Benin vipers, stationary stores and mighty gets. out of the five games they played, they won only one by 1-0, Enugu Rengers beat them by 2-0, while stationary store beat them by 4-1.
This was the period when foodball teams in UK were unbeatable, most gambles in Nigeria lost huge amount of money as they place bet that DUNDEE united will beat Nigeria opponent.

With this shocked and disappointment Nigeria started calling people who do foolish things Dundee, If they are group of foolish people, they called them Dundee united.

6 Likes

Re: How ‘dundee United’ Became An Insult In Nigeria by insidelife22(m): 9:20pm On Feb 14
Hmmmmmmmm

Tinubu, is that you?

1 Like

Re: How ‘dundee United’ Became An Insult In Nigeria by fuckJones(f): 9:21pm On Feb 14
insidelife22:
Hmmmmmmmm

Tinubu, is that you?
yes sweetie, any thing for the girls?
Re: How ‘dundee United’ Became An Insult In Nigeria by matify83: 10:47pm On Feb 14
Thanks for the new insight.

Used to think it was because the were always at the bottom of the Scottish league table.

1 Like

Re: How ‘dundee United’ Became An Insult In Nigeria by aieromon(m): 12:26am On Feb 15
One, popular on online chatrooms, is that the phrase stems from the 1989 Fifa under-16 world championships.

The tournament was actually a very successful one for the Scotland under-16s team, which made it to the final before losing to Saudi Arabia on penalties. Records show Nigeria were also present, with the team knocked out by the Saudis in the quarters.

Significantly, that match was played at Dens Park. In fact the ground was home to four of Nigeria’s games, and the team also trained there. So could this be the answer? Is it possible that a contingent of mischievous Dundee fans could have played a part in the origins of the phrase? Could they have taken it upon themselves to inform a group of 15-year-old Nigerian youth players that “Dundee United” was local slang for an idiot?

A second theory, popular among some Nigerians, is that it stems from a few years earlier, when United reached the semi-finals of the 1983-84 European Cup. Their tie, against Roma, is seared into the memories of United fans.

Jim McLean’s team won the first leg 2-0, only to lose 3-0 away, with subsequent reports suggesting Roma had attempted to bribe the referee the night before the game. And so, according to this version of events, use of ‘Dundee United’ stuck after large numbers of Nigerians backed United at the bookies, only to lose big as Roma headed off to meet Liverpool in the final.

Olumide, who lives in Glasgow, says: “The players were basically just looking, as the other team took the ball off them. They behaved exactly like fools and it didn’t go down well with the gamblers. The Nigerian gamblers then lost their money, and so, out of frustration, anyone who under-performs, or behaves sluggish, or isn’t up to a task at the level expected was, and is still, referred to as ‘Dundee United’ by Nigerians.”

The answer lies in a two-week period, between the end of May and the start of June, 1972, and a disastrous club tour of West Africa. The trip really did go very badly indeed. United were matched against small, local teams, and they were woeful. Records from the tour reveal a middling start, with a 2-2 draw with Stationery Stores on 27 May 1972 followed by a 1-0 win against Benin Vipers on the 31st. That, however, was to mark the high point of the visit – United lost 2-0 to Enugu Rangers on 3 June, in a match played in front of 35,000 people, before drawing 1-1 with Mighty Jets on 7 June, and then ending the whole sorry affair with a 4-1 hammering at the hands of Stationery Stores.

These were amateur teams, and local fans had expected much, much more from a representative of Scotland’s top flight. United looked like fools. There are, of course, mitigating circumstances. The tour was a hectic one, coming at the end of a long season, with United’s players apparently thrown by travel arrangements and ill-equipped to playing five games over 16 days, in Nigeria in June.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/mar/11/the-unlikely-story-of-how-dundee-united-became-an-insult-in-nigeria

1 Like

Re: How ‘dundee United’ Became An Insult In Nigeria by PROUDIGBO(m): 1:03am On Feb 15
I doubt this is the origin. The phrase is just some years old....not up to two decades! Could be it came from the derogatory term dunderhead!
Re: How ‘dundee United’ Became An Insult In Nigeria by kenny714433(m): 1:12am On Feb 15
I doubt though.
But I'm certain that certain words like "I no get shi shi" actually originated from "I don't have shilling"
You know we once used shillings 😅

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How ‘dundee United’ Became An Insult In Nigeria by yomi531(m): 8:20am On Feb 15
I have heard of it b4. Very funny😅
Re: How ‘dundee United’ Became An Insult In Nigeria by yomi531(m): 8:21am On Feb 15
PROUDIGBO:
I doubt this is the origin. The phrase is just some years old....not up to two decades! Could be it came from the derogatory term dunderhead!
The Op said it as it is. Very correct. My uncle told me about it a long time ago

1 Like

Re: How ‘dundee United’ Became An Insult In Nigeria by Obainoman6: 12:39pm On Feb 15
Lai Mohammed is that you?
Re: How ‘dundee United’ Became An Insult In Nigeria by fuckJones(f): 2:14pm On Feb 15
Obainoman6:
Lai Mohammed is that you?
come up with your own story chinedu
Re: How ‘dundee United’ Became An Insult In Nigeria by Mryacks: 10:20pm On Feb 15
Oh really? As a football fan, I know Dundee United but never heard this story grin thanks

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Official Nations Cup Thread / For Jayjay Okocha Fans Only / Chelsea Sack Grant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.