Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,364 members, 7,812,041 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:01 AM

What Can N50 Buy In Your Area? - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Can N50 Buy In Your Area? (16658 Views)

Have Prices Of Commodities Reduced In Your Area? / Pay N50,000 Or Be Jailed If You Spray Money At Events In Nigeria - CBN / 16 Businesses To Start In Nigeria With N50,000 Or Less (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Can N50 Buy In Your Area? by Aemann33: 4:53am On Feb 18
2 sachet water
Re: What Can N50 Buy In Your Area? by Acidosis(m): 5:14am On Feb 18
EreluRoz:
Coincidentally I'm seeing my birth year in one of those years you mentioned. But I read about him and how he transformed Lagos. Others before him couldn't do much.

Anyone with money and access to over 90% of Nigeria's media houses can twist history.
Re: What Can N50 Buy In Your Area? by me4323753: 5:26am On Feb 18
EreluRoz:
Yes he failed but respect your elders
This elder and respect thing you’re just chanting i hope it doesn’t kill you because i see say you no rest. may God help you
Re: What Can N50 Buy In Your Area? by wiseoneking: 6:37am On Feb 18
EreluRoz:
It is well.

I hope asiwaju is not under attack because I didn't know him to be a failure in governance.
He is already a FATAL failure and there is nothing you can do about it. You can be going up and down on every thread writing this rubbish but it can't change that he is now the worst president Nigeria has ever known. Ebbi pawa people.
Re: What Can N50 Buy In Your Area? by Subonbon(m): 7:06am On Feb 18
Weed....
Re: What Can N50 Buy In Your Area? by ParagonPrick: 8:37am On Feb 18
Blazebond:

You tribalistic clown,you don't have sense o,you obidioots are the worst scum this country have ever produced,worse than buharist sef,all una own na to fight anybody when nor dey una side,you all are fascist piece of shit,obi and your types will never ever rule Nigeria because you people are dangerous and might resort to ethnic cleansing of other tribes and people.
See mumu
Re: What Can N50 Buy In Your Area? by Rejoice28(f): 8:53am On Feb 18
2 sachets of pure water

Friends Jesus Christ loves y'all and he want you to accept him as your personal lord and saviour by giving your life to Christ, believing in him and repenting of your sins.remember tomorrow might be too late. Shalom
Re: What Can N50 Buy In Your Area? by afolarin60591: 9:18am On Feb 18
50 naira can buy benson switch cigarette...50 naira can buy benson switch cigarette......
Re: What Can N50 Buy In Your Area? by MrBONE2(m): 10:21am On Feb 18
Parydelegate:
Used Condom grin

cheesy

Re: What Can N50 Buy In Your Area? by Kasalagoburst: 10:39am On Feb 18
jeromestarks:
I live in abakaliki and I can confidently tell you that the only thing that N50 can buy in my area as food is a tiny sugar.
I can't even buy garri with 50 bucks.

What can it buy in your area?

Two coaster biscuits
Re: What Can N50 Buy In Your Area? by speedchariot(m): 11:04am On Feb 18
1. A wrap of weed
Re: What Can N50 Buy In Your Area? by ezekuche(m): 11:16am On Feb 18
jeromestarks:
I live in abakaliki and I can confidently tell you that the only thing that N50 can buy in my area as food is a tiny sugar.

it can only afford an orphan biscuit..
Re: What Can N50 Buy In Your Area? by femi4: 11:37am On Feb 18
jeromestarks:

Sweet
Re: What Can N50 Buy In Your Area? by Sleekfingers: 12:17pm On Feb 18
One big stout and Nkwobi
Re: What Can N50 Buy In Your Area? by maestro299: 2:15pm On Feb 18
UncleAyo:
World's Top Performing Currency and Insight for Naira

* Government/CBN should stop the printing 500 NGN notes and 1,000 NGN notes (the use of #200 note should be sparingly) and officially discontinue the use of these currencies!

* Reintroduction of Nigeria coins, 50Kobo, 1 NGN and 2 NGN.

* Focus should be on Local Business and not call for foreign investment; as foreigner will eventually and continually repatriate their profits in USD. (learning from what is happening in China)

Welcome, lets get started by examining the top 10 performing currencies in the world to gain necessary insights before drawing our conclusions.

*.Kuwait Dinar KWD: ( 1 KWD = 4,920.49 NGN )
Bank notes: 1/4, 1/2, 1, 5, 10, 20 Dinars -------------- Highest denomination == 20 Dinars; Coins == Yes
Coins: 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 Fils

*.Bahraini Dinar BHD: ( 1 BHD = 4,021.64 NGN )
Bank note: BD 1/2, BD 1, BD 5, BD 10, BD 20 --------------- Highest denomination == BD 20; Coins == Yes
Coins: 5, 10, 25, 50, 100 Fils, BD 1/2

*.Omani Rial OMR: ( 1 OMR = 3,937.77 NGN )
Bank note: 1/2, 1, 5, 10, 20, 50 Rials --------------- Highest denomination == 50 Rials; Coin == Yes
Coin: 50, 10, 20, 50, 100 baisa and rarely used 200 biasa

*.Jordanian Dinar JDD: ( 1 JDD = 507,65070 NGN )
Bank notes: 1, 5, 10, 20, 50, Dinars ------------------- Highest denomination == 50 Dinars; Coin == Yes
Coins: 1/2, 1, quirsh, 21/2, 5, 10 Piastras

*.British Pound GBP: ( 1 GBP = 2,135.49 NGN )
Bank notes: €5, €10, €20, €50 ----------------------- Highest denomination == €50; Coin == Yes
Coins: 1P, 2P, 5P, 10P, 50P, €1, €2

*.Caymanian dollar KYD: ( 1 KYD = 1,815.81 NGN )
Bank notes: 1, 5, 10, 25, 50, 100 Dollars ------------------- Highest denomination == 100 Dollars; Coin == Yes
Coin: 1, 5, 10, 25 Cents

*.Euro EUR: ( 1 EUR = 1,631.43 NGN )
Bank notes: €5, €10, €20, €50, €100, and €200 --------------- Highest denomination == €200; Coin == Yes

*.Swiss Franc CHF: ( 1 CHF = 1,719.44 NGN )
Bank note: 10, 20, 50, 100, 200, 1000 francs ------------------- Highest denomination == 200 francs; Coin == Yes
Coins: 5, 10 and 20 Rp/cts, 1/2, 1, 2 and 5 Fracs

*.United State dollar USD: ( 1 USD = 1600 NGN )
Bank note: $1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50, $100 ----------------- Highest denomination == $100; Coin == Yes
Coins: 1C, 5C, 10C, $1/4, $1/2, $1.

Go back to the list once again and check what's the highest denominations of each currency (and population of users of each currency), You will discover that the top performing currencies do not have high face value like we have 500 NGN and 1,000 NGN in Nigeria.

Also, you will notice that the top performing currencies have coins form of currency with denomination of very low face value.

The highest of the denomination is 1000 Franc followed by 500 EUR. 1000 Franc is not in frequent use and the highest Franc denomination next to it is 200 Frank ( not like 500 NGN as we have here in nigeria ). Also the use of 500 EUR was discontinue in year 2018.

Get a hold on history of exchange rate in Nigerian, you will find out that every introduction of new high (face value) denomination currency note has adverse effect on exchange rate.

Why High Denominational Currency Note Is Bad:
1. Increase in prints of currency notes with high face value e.g 1000 NGN makes other lower currency of less important and less useful. This can gradually lead to upgrade of price of goods and services in market.

2. It makes stealing, looting and hoarding of cash easier as larger amount of money value can be packed into a very small space.

3. 500 NGN and 1000 NGN are no money for the common man, go to the market and examine what denomination are most in use.

4. It's in a way opposing the cashless policy by the federal government of Nigeria.

What The Wise Nations Did:
1. United State of Ameria used to have $500, $1000, $2000 currency notes until December 14, 1945, when the high denominational bills were last printed and officially discontinued on July 14, 1969 by the Federal Reserve System.

2. Europian Central Bank announced on 4 May, 2016 that it would phase out the 500 Euro notes by the end of 2018.

Other Factors That May Affect The Exchange Rate Of A Currency Include:
1. Ratio of goods/services importation to exportation

2. Availability of currency and number of complying users.

The Illegal illegal printing of currency by the CBN according to as reported by some news media outlets has a long way to desctroy value on our cash.

3. Inflation rate

4. Government debts and federal reserve.

5. Political policies and stability

6. And many more

My Recomendations:
Nigerian government should permanently discontinue and remove 500 NGN and 1,000 NGN currency notes from circulation. Reintroduction of 50 Kobo, 1 NGN and 2 NGN coins should also be done.

A government fighting corruption will yield to this advice as abundance of lower denomination currency will discourage looters from hoarding and keeping cash in a safe instead of bank.

Caveat emptor:
This writeup is a personal opinion resulting from my many observations. It is not a scholarly work and should not be treated as one. Copy-and-paste bloggers should please reference the link and author of the article.

TOP PERFORMING CURRENCY (UPDATED CONVERSION RATEs)

1. Kuwaiti dinar (KWD)
The Kuwaiti dinar is the strongest currency in the world with 1 Kuwaiti dinar buying 3.26 US dollars (or, put another way, US$1 equals 0.31 Kuwaiti dinars).

Kuwait is located between Saudi Arabia and Iraq, earning much of its wealth from being a leading global exporter of oil. The Kuwaiti dinar was introduced in the 1960s and was initially pegged to the British pound before being re-pegged to an undisclosed basket of currencies.

2. Bahraini dinar (BHD)
The Bahraini dinar is the second strongest currency in the world with 1 Bahraini dinar buying 2.65 US dollars (or US$1 equals 0.38 Bahraini dinars).

Bahrain is an island nation in the Persian Gulf off the coast of Saudi Arabia. Like Kuwait, the country earns much of its wealth from oil and gas exports. The Bahraini dinar entered circulation in 1965 and is pegged to the US dollar.

3. Omani rial (OMR)
The Omani rial is the third strongest currency in the world with 1 Omani rial buying 2.60 US dollars (or US$1 equals 0.38 Omani rial).

Oman sits between the United Arab Emirates and Yemen at the tip of the Arabian peninsula. As with its other wealthy neighbours, Oman is a major exporter of oil and gas. The Omani rial was introduced in the 1970s and is pegged to the US dollar.

4. Jordanian dinar (JOD)
The Jordanian dinar is the fourth strongest currency in the world with 1 Jordanian dinar buying 1.41 US dollars (or US$1 equals 0.71 Jordanian dinar).

Jordan is largely land-locked country in the Middle East. Jordan is less dependent on oil and gas exports than its neighbours and has struggled with sluggish economic growth and rising debt. The Jordanian dinar entered circulation in 1950 and is pegged to the US dollar.

5. British pound (GBP)
The British pound is the fifth strongest currency in the world with 1 British pound buying 1.28 US dollars (or US$1 equals 0.78 British pounds).

Britain is the sixth largest country by Gross Domestic Product (GDP), according to the World Bank. The pound was first introduced in the 1400s before being decimalised in 1971. It is free-floating and thus not pegged to other currencies.

5. (Tie) Gibraltar pound (GIP)
The Gibraltar pound is the joint fifth strongest currency in the world with 1 Gibraltar pound buying 1.28 US dollars (or US$1 equals 0.78 Gibraltar pounds).

Gibraltar is located at the southern tip of Spain and is officially a British territory. The Gibraltar pound was first introduced in the 1920s and is pegged to the British pound (at par, meaning that one GIP equals one GBP).

6. Cayman Islands dollar (KYD)
The Cayman Islands dollar is the sixth-strongest currency in the world with 1 Cayman Islands dollar buying 1.20 US dollars (or US$1 equals 0.83 Cayman Islands dollars).

The Cayman Islands is a British territory in the Caribbean and is an offshore financial centre. The Cayman Islands dollar was first introduced in the 1970s and is pegged to the US dollar.

7. Swiss franc (CHF)
The Swiss franc is the seventh strongest currency in the world with 1 Swiss franc buying 1.15 US dollars (or US$1 equals 0.87 Swiss francs).

The Swiss franc is the official legal tender of Switzerland and Liechtenstein and is seen as a safe haven due to Switzerland’s political stability. The Swiss franc was introduced in 1850 and was later briefly pegged to the Euro before moving to a free-float.

8. Euro (EUR)
The Euro is the eighth strongest currency in the world with 1 Euro buying 1.10 US dollars (or US$1 equals 0.91 euros).

The Euro is the official currency of the Eurozone, being 20 out of the 27 countries that form part of the European Union. The physical currency entered circulation in 2002 and is free-floating.

Related: Euro to AUD forecast

10. US dollar (USD)
The US dollar is the 10th strongest currency in the world, worth exactly 1 against itself. All other units of currency across the globe are worth less than a US dollar.

Created in the 1700s, the US dollar is legal tender in the USA, other US territories and sovereign nations including Ecuador and Zimbabwe.

The US is the world’s largest economy by GDP and the US dollar is by far the most-traded currency globally.

The US dollar is also the largest reserve currency in the world (the currency most held by central banks) and is the currency used to price many commodities, including oil, gold and copper.
https://www.forbes.com/advisor/au/investing/currencies/top-10-strongest-currencies-in-the-world/

My piece of contribution.

grin cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I laff in Swahili.
Who are you writing all that epistle for?
Nigerian leaders and politicians?
You think they don't know how to fix this country?
They know even more than you do.
They are just leveraging on the average Nigerian's ignorance and poverty status to be wicked to the masses and loot the nation to their heart's content.

1 Like

Re: What Can N50 Buy In Your Area? by maestro299: 2:18pm On Feb 18
EreluRoz:
Coincidentally I'm seeing my birth year in one of those years you mentioned. But I read about him and how he transformed Lagos. Others before him couldn't do much.

For where?
Old mama like you.
tongue tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: What Can N50 Buy In Your Area? by Emeka71(m): 3:58pm On Feb 18
EreluRoz:
It is well.

I hope asiwaju is not under attack because I didn't know him to be a failure in governance.
I can buy Chin -chin with N50 at Orhuwhorun.
Re: What Can N50 Buy In Your Area? by Qoko: 4:09pm On Feb 18
BOSSkesh:

Don't mind the boy, Peter obi will never be President of this country

Respecting elders will still not help us and put foods on our table, respecting and they are cheating you. Mumu

1 Like

Re: What Can N50 Buy In Your Area? by Exceed15: 6:40pm On Feb 18
LOOOOL.. Tinubu till 2098.
Re: What Can N50 Buy In Your Area? by Benjamin4388(m): 7:00pm On Feb 18
BENSON SWITCH/BOWEM/TOMTOM
Re: What Can N50 Buy In Your Area? by SweetEmily: 8:08pm On Feb 18
Pepper
Re: What Can N50 Buy In Your Area? by Blitzking: 8:36pm On Feb 18
jeromestarks:

Kulikuli
Tomtom
Sachet water
Groundnut ,, :'-
Re: What Can N50 Buy In Your Area? by Patojargz: 12:38am On Feb 19
Igbo!!!
Re: What Can N50 Buy In Your Area? by October1960: 5:20am On Feb 19
When a very old senile and corrupt thief is selected (not elected) as president this is what you get.

Sadly this spiral will only continue

They don’t know what to do and won’t let the people that know what to do come and help them.
Re: What Can N50 Buy In Your Area? by Testimony1988(m): 5:09pm On Feb 19
Biscuit.
Re: What Can N50 Buy In Your Area? by annointedsoul: 5:00pm On Mar 03
SPAMBOX7:
Comot for here with shallow talks. They talking how one dullard is taking the country where they dunno you talking respect. Na the dude wey get time dey reply your shallowness I pity.
pls can i get help with a slot for a lady in Abuja. She is 27 and a graduate as well. She would appreciate the waitress job with accommodation can get to her as well. She is TRUSTWORTHY 100percent i can attest my life to it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

7 Fast Selling Products On Konga You Can Easily Import From China / Rivers Fire: Hoodlums Loot Goods, Cash As Traders Seek Wike’s Support / Should I Continue With The Boutique Or I Should Opt For A Massage Centre?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.