Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,123 members, 7,814,940 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase (22320 Views)

Onion Producers Suspend Supply To South East Over Insecurity / PUNCH Has Started Addressing Buhari As 'Major General' / Punch Newspaper Vows To Address Buhari As Major-General (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by Okechinwadike: 3:32pm On Feb 19
Ajalasungba:
Finally good news
easy to deceive, at your age nawaoooo. wait until it reflects in the market dude don't allow APC urchins to deceive you
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by mrvitalis(m): 3:32pm On Feb 19
nairalanda1:

Prices of feedstock may go up as a result
Yes if they are not allowed to import

1 Like

Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by Benwallt(m): 3:33pm On Feb 19
Kingpele:
Audio drop..this is mere speculation...the drivers of rise in food prices are high cost of fuel and the foreign exchange as long as this two remain high ...the prices will continue to go up...

Ariaria economics statement
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by airsaylongcome: 3:35pm On Feb 19
nairalanda1:

Yeah see the problem.

Either the companies have enough stock for five years, or they want to import raw material from overseas

Obviously a stupid cosmetic move. Maize and Sorghum prices will drop and prices of eggs, chicken and livestock will skyrocket. Just kicking the can from one area of the field to another

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by tollyboy5(m): 3:35pm On Feb 19
nairalanda1:
Can only drop if we improve food production.

This is just a stop gap measure. The same companies would still need to buy stock once current stock runs out.

This current problem plus insecurity has shown that subsistence farming cannot feed Nigeria at all.
The insecurity Buhari caused was the beginning of our problem. How do we encourage farmers to fight herdsmen to plant their crop?
I just hope things get better since insecurity is been taking serious now.. Besides raining season will soon be here. Grains everywhere
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by Benwallt(m): 3:36pm On Feb 19
post=128536345:
Slow and steady we will get to the nation of our dreams.

A land flowing with milk and honey is all we pray for.

A better Nigeria is all we want.

God bless all sane, honest and hardworking Nigerians.

God bless Nigeria 🇳🇬

You tick all the boxes. The good ones.

We will always believe in her
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by Pastoshizzy(m): 3:36pm On Feb 19
post=128536345:
Slow and steady we will get to the nation of our dreams.

A land flowing with milk and honey is all we pray for.

A better Nigeria is all we want.

God bless all sane, honest and hardworking Nigerians.

God bless Nigeria 🇳🇬

We will always believe in her
Amen in Jesus name. Oooh! 💝

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by benardtotti(m): 3:37pm On Feb 19
spinna:
There is a poignant phrase in this report..the price is artificially high..why is that so

“As significant off-takers and processors of maize and sorghum, we can attest to maize and sorghum prices being artificially high at present, with ripple effects on prices of finished products like poultry and other livestock

A lot of Nigerians have refused to accept the fact government alone is not to blame for inflation, Nigerian business owners themselves are part of the problem , the FG should stop trying to be popular and go all out to track down all those causing artificial scarcity

1 Like

Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by obinna58(m): 3:37pm On Feb 19
A bad price drop, they’re only waiting for economy to stabilize
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by nairalanda1(m): 3:37pm On Feb 19
tollyboy5:

The insecurity Buhari caused was the beginning of our problem. How do we encourage farmers to fight herdsmen to plant their crop?
I just hope things get better since insecurity is been taking serious now.. Besides raining season will soon be here. Grains everywhere

Insecurity is an issue, but even before then , our population is too large to be fed by subsistence agriculture.

Importation helped hide the problem a bit, but now we are running out of dollars..

We have to encourage large scale mechanized commercial farming.

1 Like

Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by Cmeo(m): 3:38pm On Feb 19
Kenochi:
I have always believed that the biggest problem we face is not hunger,poverty or economic issues but our leaders being not innovative or finding creative ways to solve our problems
I strongly believe that until the Local Governments become economic drivers of the Economy, we are just going round in circles
This report clearly justifies what some of us have believed,that the country is not producing enough food fo the populace and commercial use
I suggested on a previous thread that the 774 local governments should be encouraged to own Farm settlements operated or either by lease to small scale farmers or private corporations
The states should provide logistics to evacuate the farm products,infrastructure and Security for this settlements
The Federal Government will create Silos in each Senatorial Districts and will be a buyer of last resort to this farmers

Imagine if each local government took up crops which can thrive in their locality and get the people back to work,it will be a matter of time before we create Wealth across the Land
This type of wealth is sustainable because it is from bottom to the top and not the other way round
The Local Governments will be encouraged to compete against themselves and the best Agricultural friendly LGA will be given awards and Cash grants
I believe that in every problems,there are workable solutions but it seems in Nigeria we have a way of turning simple problems into hard mountains of solutions that can never be resolved

This is very creative but are our leaders ready for this? Would they allow it to work without embezzling the fund and not be deceiving everyone of us??
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by AeroplaneApple: 3:38pm On Feb 19
Collective thinking stops and solves problems
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by Panda7(m): 3:39pm On Feb 19
Ofunaofu:

https://dailytrust.com/food-crisis-maize-sorghum-prices-drop-as-major-feed-producers-suspend-purchase/#google_vignette

because there are no government tax forces put in place to checkmate the prices of goods by the sellers that is the major reason we continue to have an inflation in prices else government policies won't be overridden by traders and farmers

1 Like

Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by mrvitalis(m): 3:39pm On Feb 19
nairalanda1:

Prices of feedstock may go up as a result
Importation is cheaper than local produce
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by HENRY940: 3:39pm On Feb 19
100% increase

10% drop
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by AuwalYusuf812(m): 3:40pm On Feb 19
Is still the same price in my Area here
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by nairalanda1(m): 3:40pm On Feb 19
mrvitalis:

Importation is cheaper than local produce

I hope so, but with dollar scarcity happening, not too confident. That's just me though. We watch and see
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by casualobserver: 3:41pm On Feb 19
most of the costs of farm products in Nigeria are local. There is no reason for farm products to increase with the fall in naira. Petrol prices went up in may 2023 not gone up since, so what is the excuse? how does dollar affect the price of local rice, cassava, corn, shorghum, onions, yam, ewedu, pepper etc….are they imported…no! So this has nothing to do with dollar on the surface!!!

IMHO the only logical reason for the increase is that due to devaluation, Nigerian farm products are now cheaper for our neighbours across the borders so just like petrol that was smuggled to neighboring countries, traders make more money if they sell farm products across the border creating local shortfall. It I s cheaper to buy farm products from Nigeria creating huge demand for Nigerian farm produce. When demand outstrips supply prices go up.

3 Likes

Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by faceland: 3:41pm On Feb 19
Traders in Kano are selling their goods/food cheap but NOT restocking because of fear that government might accuse them of hoarding.
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by Benwallt(m): 3:42pm On Feb 19
Start of a new beginning. The good journey starts from here
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by casualobserver: 3:43pm On Feb 19
faceland:
Traders in Kano are selling their goods cheap but NOT restocking because of fear that government might accuse them of hoarding.

I am sure they are selling them across the border

3 Likes

Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by Zxcvbnmghtr: 3:44pm On Feb 19
Kenochi:
I have always believed that the biggest problem we face is not hunger,poverty or economic issues but our leaders being not innovative or finding creative ways to solve our problems
I strongly believe that until the Local Governments become economic drivers of the Economy, we are just going round in circles
This report clearly justifies what some of us have believed,that the country is not producing enough food fo the populace and commercial use
I suggested on a previous thread that the 774 local governments should be encouraged to own Farm settlements operated or either by lease to small scale farmers or private corporations
The states should provide logistics to evacuate the farm products,infrastructure and Security for this settlements
The Federal Government will create Silos in each Senatorial Districts and will be a buyer of last resort to this farmers

Imagine if each local government took up crops which can thrive in their locality and get the people back to work,it will be a matter of time before we create Wealth across the Land
This type of wealth is sustainable because it is from bottom to the top and not the other way round
The Local Governments will be encouraged to compete against themselves and the best Agricultural friendly LGA will be given awards and Cash grants
I believe that in every problems,there are workable solutions but it seems in Nigeria we have a way of turning simple problems into hard mountains of solutions that can never be resolved

You have said it all.
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by Paraman: 3:44pm On Feb 19
Kenochi:
Are you sure you read the article the OP posted sha? Where in the report is it stated that there's scarcity of food in the market?

But I agree with your point
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by Akwamkpuruamu: 3:46pm On Feb 19
What it means is that poultry and fish farmers are going into extinction. So we will soon forget eating chicken and fish
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by sirpompey(m): 3:46pm On Feb 19
Kenochi:

you are very intelligent sir
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by Menclothing: 3:49pm On Feb 19
We need state and all local governments should invest in mass agriculture production

2 Likes

Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by Rareoil(m): 3:55pm On Feb 19
Kenochi:

This will work in theory, in reality the money is more likely to be stolen or padded.
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by Ameboperoo(m): 3:57pm On Feb 19
nairalanda1:

Yeah see the problem.

Either the companies have enough stock for five years, or they want to import raw material from overseas
Most likely to reduce the output of livestock and this will increase the cost of beef, poultry eggs etc and we are back to square one
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by Deogratiasfx: 3:58pm On Feb 19
Kenochi:

Your last paragraph Carries so much weight. you have studied Nigeria carefully.
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by seunjungle1(m): 3:59pm On Feb 19
No be the improvement in food production wey buhari do dem still dey carry go Niger and some other neighboring countries?

nairalanda1:
Can only drop if we improve food production.

This is just a stop gap measure. The same companies would still need to buy stock once current stock runs out.

This current problem plus insecurity has shown that subsistence farming cannot feed Nigeria at all.
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by Adakintroy: 4:03pm On Feb 19
That's the rebound of free market. You Re free to increase price to whatever height. But if consumers can't afford it, you will be force to compromise or you go out of business yourself . You live in relations to the buyer or better put everyone owe the buyer a form of subsidy.

1 Like

Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by Elliotwaveforec: 4:04pm On Feb 19
Good news! Customs should do their job by stopping the exportation of these essential products like maize, cassava, yam, beans, and guinea-corn; all these aren't supposed to be expensive as they are produced here.

Any truck going to Niger and other neighboring countries should be stopped and goods seized and auctioned to Nigerians.

There's no solution to rice being expensive as the price is linked to the exchange rates.

Wheat products like semolina, noodles, spaghetti will remain expensive as wheat is imported from Russia, Ukraine, and the USA.

Beverages major raw materials are sourced locally and the prices shouldn't be on the high side.

Cement: Dangote and Bua are taking advantage of weak Naira to export to the neighboring countries to maximize profit just like the grain farmers are doing; government should stop Dangote and co. from exporting for now and satisfy local demand. Any truck carrying cement to the neighboring countries should be seized and good therein be confiscated and auctioned to Nigerians.

God bless Nigeria!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Prof Osinbajo Vs Pastor Tunde Bakare, Who Could Have Performed Better? / Another Chibok Girl Rescued With Baby (Photo) / All APC Governors Absent As Buhari Chairs Inaugural Meeting Of Campaign Council

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.