Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,674 members, 7,816,762 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:41 PM

Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase (22324 Views)

Onion Producers Suspend Supply To South East Over Insecurity / PUNCH Has Started Addressing Buhari As 'Major General' / Punch Newspaper Vows To Address Buhari As Major-General (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by Asswipemod: 4:04pm On Feb 19
spinna:
There is a poignant phrase in this report..the price is artificially high..why is that so

“As significant off-takers and processors of maize and sorghum, we can attest to maize and sorghum prices being artificially high at present, with ripple effects on prices of finished products like poultry and other livestock

This is what I have been saying since. The increase in prices in Nigeria is artificial. It is man made.
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by Pastoshizzy(m): 4:04pm On Feb 19
CharleyBright:

The time has come, let him come and fulfill that little promise and flood the market with Agbado for his Emi lo kan boys. grin grin
This our country we're talking about. Wish yourself well naa. Na wa o!
I've always known tribalism is the bane of all this noise.
Call me whatever I don't care.
Nigeria go survive.
E go shock you just like the last election.

Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by YourKarma: 4:05pm On Feb 19
Pastoshizzy:
I see anti government forces backing out.
Some are unrelenting though..like stubborn goats.
slivertongue:
let it continue to drop
Pastoshizzy:
God. Which kine human being una be?
Because no be your tribe/party.
To japa you no get money. You just dey there dey frustrate yourself.

Did you read the report at all? The reason for the (minimal) price drop is companies who buy these grains to produce animal feeds are no longer able to afford them due to the high cost of the feeds, and because of that there's now more grains in circulation which caused the little drop in price. When these companies start buying again the prices will increase again.

And the reason why prices of food is high in the first place is because farmers are unable to go to farms for fear of being murdered by rampaging herders, which the government has shown zero commitment in tackling.

Also, you didn't consider that the price of the livestock who feed on these feeds will also increase as the cost of the feeds increase due to scarcity caused by the stoppage of production?

This is why you need to read articles before rushing to comment
Asswipemod:

This is what I have been saying since. The increase in prices in Nigeria is artificial. It is man made.

1 Like

Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by nairalanda1(m): 4:06pm On Feb 19
seunjungle1:
No be the improvement in food production wey buhari do dem still dey carry go Niger and some other neighboring countries?

Buhari is no longer in charge of this country.
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by gnykelly(m): 4:08pm On Feb 19
Nbote:
This report is funny. The high cost of these grains is why these companies are halting purchases. These grains are now high because farmers are suffering from security challenges and have been paying taxes to bandits while suffering losses and damages occasioned by herdsmen who ravage their farms to feed their livestock. Some farmers who do not have storage facilities will resort to selling off at a loss to eat in the meantime while those who have will simply store their grains and wait

This is a media narrative not the actual truth...
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by Paraman: 4:08pm On Feb 19
mrvitalis:

That should be the solution allow them to import raw materials till price stabilize

While the people buy from local produce...

There should be consequences for selling imported goods to the public... Fine should be as high as 30% of your company as valued by government and an independent value

And suspension from production for minimum of 6 months

The the full management board would be suspended without pay for 3 years minimum

If they agree to this allow them import
The government has not banned the importation of sorghum and maize, so if they choose to import, government won't stop them.
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by XPMExchange: 4:08pm On Feb 19
Let them bring down the price of rice and beans first then Nigerians can give them the accolades. In the meantime, Digital currency is already taking over

You can buy/sell coins, swap giftcards and e-wallet funds for Naira at the best rates only on XPM Exchange. We are trusted by over 500,000+ USERS [LINK IN SIGNATURE]

THIS IS NOT AN ADVERT
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by Paraman: 4:10pm On Feb 19
mrvitalis:

There is nothing there

Any innovative way would need 100 days minimum

The solution is to allow them import
No one will stop them from importing if they want to.
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by jiz: 4:11pm On Feb 19
Haaaaghaa.....he pain nam
Pastoshizzy:
God. Which kine human being una be?
Because no be your tribe/party.
To japa you no get money. You just dey there dey frustrate yourself.
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by Agbegbaorogboye: 4:15pm On Feb 19
Kenochi:
I have always believed that the biggest problem we face is not hunger,poverty or economic issues but our leaders being not innovative or finding creative ways to solve our problems
I strongly believe that until the Local Governments become economic drivers of the Economy, we are just going round in circles
This report clearly justifies what some of us have believed,that the country is not producing enough food fo the populace and commercial use
I suggested on a previous thread that the 774 local governments should be encouraged to own Farm settlements operated or either by lease to small scale farmers or private corporations
The states should provide logistics to evacuate the farm products,infrastructure and Security for this settlements
The Federal Government will create Silos in each Senatorial Districts and will be a buyer of last resort to this farmers

Imagine if each local government took up crops which can thrive in their locality and get the people back to work,it will be a matter of time before we create Wealth across the Land
This type of wealth is sustainable because it is from bottom to the top and not the other way round
The Local Governments will be encouraged to compete against themselves and the best Agricultural friendly LGA will be given awards and Cash grants
I believe that in every problems,there are workable solutions but it seems in Nigeria we have a way of turning simple problems into hard mountains of solutions that can never be resolved
Your solution does not make sense
What will you plant in Lagos Island for example or Abuja municipal?
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by Pastoshizzy(m): 4:24pm On Feb 19
YourKarma:

Did you read the report at all? The reason for the (minimal) price drop is companies who buy these grains to produce animal feeds are no longer able to afford them due to the high cost of the feeds, and because of that there's now more grains in circulation which caused the little drop in price. When these companies start buying again the prices will increase again.

And the reason why prices of food is high in the first place is because farmers are unable to go to farms for fear of being murdered by rampaging herders, which the government has shown zero commitment in tackling.

Also, you didn't consider that the price of the livestock who feed on these feeds will also increase as the cost of the feeds increase due to scarcity caused by the stoppage of production?

There is a forced reduction...and what do you know it's a good news for buyers. Next thing tribalist vultures leech on it to discredit the government.
All around the world there is an unprecedented level of recession and what is at play here is nothing new. Problem is Nigerians don't make sacrifices (I don't blame us for the lack of patriotism), it's imposed on them. Show me a country without corruption and I will point the moon to you. The country's problem is not the government but a polity that has eroded our currency to what it is. We all know Nigeria is no longer a productive economy. We are who we are. For the Agriculture sector to pick up again the government of the day have to start off from what they met. I wish I could tell you about the difference between the Republican and the Democrats as a classic example of what's being going on between PDP and APC in Nigeria. No Nigerian party can perform any better with what we had before Tinubu as statistics. We auctioned our future to the Paris club/IMF now we're paying dearly by salvaging the situation. Sacrifices has to be made. But Nooo! my people still wan dey enjoy.
What do you think Atiku or any other ambitious croney would have done... defer your suffering as long as they can before allowing another party to take the fall knowing it would be the perfect strategy for a come back. That's political strategy by APC's predecessors.
Hang me if you wanna but give up for the government of the day who knew what they were going into but went ahead to go into it. Forget looting as a motive..not this one man. He's rich.
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by SaLongs1(m): 4:24pm On Feb 19
Kenochi:
I have always believed that the biggest problem we face is not hunger,poverty or economic issues but our leaders being not innovative or finding creative ways to solve our problems
I strongly believe that until the Local Governments become economic drivers of the Economy, we are just going round in circles
This report clearly justifies what some of us have believed,that the country is not producing enough food fo the populace and commercial use
I suggested on a previous thread that the 774 local governments should be encouraged to own Farm settlements operated or either by lease to small scale farmers or private corporations
The states should provide logistics to evacuate the farm products,infrastructure and Security for this settlements
The Federal Government will create Silos in each Senatorial Districts and will be a buyer of last resort to this farmers

Imagine if each local government took up crops which can thrive in their locality and get the people back to work,it will be a matter of time before we create Wealth across the Land
This type of wealth is sustainable because it is from bottom to the top and not the other way round
The Local Governments will be encouraged to compete against themselves and the best Agricultural friendly LGA will be given awards and Cash grants
I believe that in every problems,there are workable solutions but it seems in Nigeria we have a way of turning simple problems into hard mountains of solutions that can never be resolved
They would rather spend humongous amounts of money on religious pilgrimages that don't change the characters of the people going there at all rather than spend money on projects such as the one you are suggesting.
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by Olaide1295: 4:27pm On Feb 19
We are unable to plant enough maize to meet the country's demand. Shouldn't that mean we need large-scale industrial farming and more people need to go back to the farms
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by Pastoshizzy(m): 4:29pm On Feb 19
jiz:
Haaaaghaa.....he pain nam
Pain who? Eeeeh grin
Maga grin

Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by slivertongue: 4:30pm On Feb 19
let it continue to drop shows I read it

YourKarma:

Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by Voldoz: 4:52pm On Feb 19
Kenochi:

Bro I concur, imagine some people here in imo state are complaining food cost etc I told them you have lands here and there farm them, when you produce your own food it reduces your dependency on the north, most tell me this 2024 na farming you dey talk about I be like you never suffer reach then.

1 Like

Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by mrvitalis(m): 5:11pm On Feb 19
Paraman:
No one will stop them from importing if they want to.
Do you know how government works
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by SANDAT(m): 5:13pm On Feb 19
Akwamkpuruamu:
What it means is that poultry and fish farmers are going into extinction. So we will soon forget eating chicken and fish
At this point do you still worry about the cost of chicken and fish?. Last week I was going to Kaduna and I saw this chicken feed company with hundreds of trucks waiting to discharge maize. I know something had to be done to stop bulk purchases by these companies to halt the increasing prices of food.
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by Paraman: 5:16pm On Feb 19
mrvitalis:

Do you know how government works
why will something that's not on the banned list give an importer a problem?
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by mrvitalis(m): 5:18pm On Feb 19
Paraman:
why will something that's not on the banned list give an importer a problem?
Import tariffs
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by SAFEtradings(m): 5:25pm On Feb 19
spinna:
There is a poignant phrase in this report..the price is artificially high..why is that so

“As significant off-takers and processors of maize and sorghum, we can attest to maize and sorghum prices being artificially high at present, with ripple effects on prices of finished products like poultry and other livestock

You are right.
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by waleolaniyan: 5:37pm On Feb 19
They've just killed poultry industry. These two: Olam and Premier, are the major players in finished feed production in nigeria. Now on leave, we know the prognosis already. Death to the industry. Many farms will fold up immediately
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by Questionnaires(m): 5:39pm On Feb 19
Kenochi:

Liked, Shared And Followed.

We've Been Trying To Shill Out Reasonable Commenters On Certain Socio Economic Issues From Nairaland Inorder For Them To Participate in Our Forthcoming SMALL SISTER NAIJA (SSN) Cum POVERTY ALLEVIATION REALITY TELEVISION SHOW SERIES.

Your Response is in Synch With Our Suggestions For Alleviating The Poverty of HUNGER And STARVATION in Nigeria.

Kindly Check The Thread Links Below:

https://www.nairaland.com/8003793/small-sister-naija-ssn-poverty
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by Omalicious1: 5:59pm On Feb 19
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by Paraman: 6:01pm On Feb 19
mrvitalis:

Import tariffs
If you notice, I said the imported cement will not be cheap
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by mrvitalis(m): 6:12pm On Feb 19
Paraman:
If you notice, I said the imported cement will not be cheap
Was talking about grains
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by Fish4wealth: 6:23pm On Feb 19
Kenochi:

See even before I write further, you are forever blessed and your wisdom will not run dry. Amen!
Honestly, if not that God cannot be questioned, I would have... because the generation of leaders we now have since mid 70s have destroyed the very NATURAL GOLDMINE that we are freely blessed with to become one of the food sufficient and prosperous nation of the world.
I re-emphasize the bolded @farm settlement. Until this is done and our leaders and wealthy Nigerians honestly and sincerely invest in farm mechanization and stop this hypocrisy of promoting agriculture yet feared the risks associated with it thereby withholding investments.. Food insecurity will birth multiple insecurities.
I therefore call on patriotic professional and passionate farmers not political and online farmers to please let's form a progressive front for advocacy.
God bless Nigeria.
Great farmer! Great Nation!!
Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by yemmit90: 6:28pm On Feb 19
Kenochi:

You started very well until you mentioned states. Nigeria has no business with state government, infact state government are the architect of our problem in this country. State are waste of resources, share this funds among 774 local governments and see tremendous advancement within 4 years.

Why we must eradicate state and embrace local governments.

1. They are within our reach and highly accessible. You can walk up to them as ordinary citizen, association, and student to demand for your right.

2. Small size nature of local governments will make development faster and judiciously monitoring by both local authority and residents.

3. It very easy to maintain security at local governments level. Crime rate tend to be arrested fast as majority of people usually cooperate to fish out the perpetrators.

4. Farming and allocation of land is more effective and highly manage under local governments. Tractors, cheap fertiliser and land can be easily access at local governments level by the residents.

5. Commerce and industry are better off in the hands of local governments. Taxes are easy to collect, and defaulters can be easily penalised.

6. Local governments runs inclusive administration. Landlords associations, artisans, marketers, trade unions, transport unions, local vigilantes are always part of local governments administration.

7. It is not easy for local governments to embezzled fund like state or federal government, this because, majority of chairmen and councilors are resident or part of the community. People know them, their families and their history, therefore, they are always reminded by those mentioned in no.6 to do the right thing.

In addition, public transport, power generation, social security can be easily maintain under local governments administration. For instance, local governments can easily construct and control solar system to generate power for the resident. The advantage is endless.

##Endstatesandembracelocalgovernments##

1 Like

Re: Food Crisis: Maize, Sorghum Prices Drop As Major Feed Producers Suspend Purchase by ufuosman(m): 6:43pm On Feb 19
🫣🫣

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"Why Kano State Is Poor" - Reno Omokri / APC Wins 25 Out Of 27 Assembly Seats In Imo State / South-East Leaders Are Meeting In Abuja To Chart A Way Forward For The Region

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.