Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,891 members, 7,841,349 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 07:58 AM

5 Tips To Prepare For That First Real Job Interview - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Tips To Prepare For That First Real Job Interview (68 Views)

Mathematics: 5 Tips On How You Can Accelerate Your Performance In The Subject / OAU: Students Prepare For Rain Semester Examinations In Total Darkness / How To Prepare For JAMB 2018/2019 And Score Very High (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

5 Tips To Prepare For That First Real Job Interview by youngkid6: 7:08pm On Feb 19
You have graduated high school or college and now youre ready for your first real job. How can you do well at the interview so you wind up being offered the job?

1. Dress professionally. No midriff shirts, low-cut blouses or flip-flops because youre going to work and not the beach. While its not necessary to buy a suit, it is particularly important to look professional.

If youre trying to get a job in a conservative office such as an accounting firm, dont dress as if you were going to a concert. If you are applying for a retail position, you have a little more freedom. Rather than list what clothing is and is not acceptable, I would tell you to dress as if you were going to meet one of the most important people in your life- because you are!

2. Make sure you are well-groomed. Dont look as though you just rolled out of bed and couldnt bother to take care of basic personal hygiene.

Nothing will make the HR Manager bring the interview to a close faster than unwashed hair, dirty fingernails or body odor.

As an employee, you will be a reflection of the company and no customer wants to do business with an unkempt person.

3. Be aware of your body language. A firm handshake at the start of the interview shows you are self-confident. Maintain eye contact, stay relaxed and be attentive to the interviewer. Ask questions and listen thoughtfully to the answers. Think before you answer questions from the interviewer- dont ramble and keep the conversation on the topic.

4. Be prepared for the interview. Research the company beforehand- every business now has a website where you can learn what they do and who their customers are. This shows the interviewer you are interested in the job and took the initiative to find out all you could about the company.

5. Be present in the interview. Ive interviewed candidates who acted as if they were waiting for a bus.

They didnt ask questions, but instead just listened to me, and I wasnt really sure if they were paying attention. Be enthusiastic, ask questions and participate in the interview. After listing all the duties required of the position, I asked one candidate if this sounded like something shed be interested in.

Her reply was a quiet, I can do the job. She didnt answer my question, she seemed indifferent, and she didnt get the job. If you cant be excited in the interview, youre not going to be energized in the workplace either.

First impressions count, and you want to let the interviewer know you want the job, are willing to work hard and will do your best. You might not necessarily be the most qualified candidate, but still land the job because you were the most outstanding one. Good luck!

learn something new everyday 👇

https://mryoung.systeme.io/solutionhub

(1) (Reply)

What Specific Topics Are Covered In CIPD Assignments For Level 5? / Affordable Academic Translation For Your Certificates And Transcripts / UEA China 60th Anniversary Award Apply For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.