Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,119 members, 7,828,988 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:05 PM

Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? (20211 Views)

Cost Of NECO Registration In Private Schools / Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? / Fraud In Private Nursery/Pri Schl:Must A Child Buy A Book His Elder Ones Have? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by Poiniyisworld: 4:53pm On Feb 22
Most private school owners are the problem and are very proud about it.

You employ a teacher of mathematics and you want him/ her to teach two or three other subjects.
The teacher initially helps out but sees that no one is planning to employ any other teacher.

Another reason is that private school owners dont want you to shine above them. Once parents notice you and it seems you are almost out shining the owners .. you go see shege.

The problem goes on and on ...How many can one write.

Thus any teacher worth his/her salt and onions just resigns and begins their own private tutorial.

2 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by Poiniyisworld: 4:58pm On Feb 22
Na them. You have sincerely spotted them. Most of them are empty heads who cannot even break down a curriculum into 3 classes ( eg ss1, 2 and3), yet they over labour the teachers.
Let them become teachers na if they are sure of themselves.
These school owners easily forget that if they don't have teachers , there will be no pupils and if no pupils , there will be no money

2 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by Bsmartt(m): 5:01pm On Feb 22
I never thought of this happening too early. I have personally advocated for a review of the remuneration of teachers in private schools. Most of the school owners are very greedy and unreasonable when it comes to wages and salaries.

I am glad that the forces of demand and supply couple with a comprehensive regulatory impact are going to bring forth great value.

3 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by Poiniyisworld: 5:12pm On Feb 22
The most painful thing here is that most of the school owners are either pastors, evangelists or profess to be Christians.

With their evil ways and characters towards teachers, I just HOPE THEY WILL MAKE ETERNAL LIFE O.

2 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by MasterTeeUSA: 5:19pm On Feb 22
I never understand this...when I tell people my supervisory Engineer makes N100k per month...they wonder why I pay so much...even if I have no work to do on site and he is just monitoring simple maintenance, I still pay that and I am proud of paying him a living wage. When the children needed funds for school in University, I gave him N400k in advance payment and we agreed to N50k for 8 months to cover the advanced payment.

People should benefit from you ...Christmas, N50k Bonus, 2 Chickens and Dad's Estate gave him bonus as well for always helping with maintenance. Is he perfect no? But when you treat people well, you can be rest assured blessings will continue...we cant keep using people and expect Grace to continue. All my cleaners got increased payment even for their part time work...charged as new service fees paid by the tenants...once a week N10k became N15k. Next year when rent is to be increased, I am already considering increasing Engineer's salary by 20% to N120k. None of these funds will be taken with us back to Heaven...we need to learn to touch lives.

Jewessgratitud3:
Why won't they be short of teachers when they pay peanut out of the millions they are making?

You'll see a school charging 50k on the average per child with a population of 100 or more pupils paying teachers 25k. Isn't that wickedness? And you expect such a person to continue working the millions for you while you and your family keep enjoying the money.

I tell you a real life story.

Before I never knew this mushroom private schools make hell of money until my experience with one.

This woman will always cry that the school is small that we should bear with her . When the school starts growing in number she'll do something about the pay..

One year down the line the number increased and she did an increment on her school fees. I approached her afterwards and tried to remind her of her promise to do something about our charges ( cos I'm on part-time arrangements). This woman turned to lion and tolde she can't do anything that in fact I'm earning higher than her full time teachers and she has not done anything for her teachers. I tried to let her know this was not our agreement but she turned deaf ears. Well.. since I have other schools that were paying well, I said let me calm down and see what will happen. That year she sent her son to Ukraine, this Someone who claims no money. The school kept increasing. She sent her two other children to a private university. Hmmm . Meanwhile her full time teachers were collecting 10k. Three years down the line, she still refused to do something about my charges. By then I had gotten better schools and was just using hers to rest. You know.. because I've been long with them, the school was already established in my subject, so I hardly do much or stress myself explaining for too long before they grab. Though I was not happy.

Four years down the line for the son in Ukraine to graduate, his school was bombed down. You guys know that university in Ukraine that got bombed during Russia and Ukrain war, that's the school the son was attending. She was crying and panicking that day and said she didn't know where the son ran to that he just sent the pics of the school and since then she has not heard from him that students are running all over the place while some are being evacuated by security men but that she doesn't even know where the son was. I was just consoling her that day. I saw the video of the school her son sent her burning.

All their computers, results and everything got burnt in that blast. The son was later evacuated to another neighboring Country with other students and had to start afresh because news went round then that since they lost their records and all in the fire, the school can't graduate anyone because no data to work with or determine who's due for graduation.

Now what am I trying to say, this woman used the sweat of her teachers to send the boy abroad to school in one of the most expensive universities in Ukraine while paying her teachers then, 10k as salary and always complaining school is not making money. Her other children are in private universities and till today she's still complains of no money just to avoid increasing salaries. Though according to the only teacher remaining there, I heard she has increased it to 25k now while she added a miserable 5k to mine claiming my charges has always been to high from the beginning. Now she has only two teachers left. She will interview new ones only for them not to resume the day they're supposed to.

Tell me why teachers will not leave.

5 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by Poiniyisworld: 5:19pm On Feb 22
I was a victim o. I was made principal yet the owner and child who practically know nothing in education want to show me shege.
They thought my life depended on their salary. My dear I resigned and have taken up private lessons.
I cannot study and teach a major subject ans be hungry. No wayo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by seunayantokun(m): 5:50pm On Feb 22
Most private schools in Nigeria make teachers slaves. When you have a way out, like the ongoing UK opening for maths, languages and science teachers, they will be losers.

2 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by sprints1: 5:55pm On Feb 22
sacajawea:

And how much was your salary...
at that time it was 106k...

1 Like

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by Jewessgratitud3: 5:58pm On Feb 22
MasterTeeUSA:
I never understand this...when I tell people my supervisory Engineer makes N100k per month...they wonder why I pay so much...even if I have no work to do on site and he is just monitoring simple maintenance, I still pay that and I am proud of paying him a living wage. When the children needed funds for school in University, I gave him N400k in advance payment and we agreed to N50k for 8 months to cover the advanced payment.

People should benefit from you ...Christmas, N50k Bonus, 2 Chickens and Dad's Estate gave him bonus as well for always helping with maintenance. Is he perfect no? But when you treat people well, you can be rest assured blessings will continue...we cant keep using people and expect Grace to continue. All my cleaners got increased payment even for their part time work...charged as new service fees paid by the tenants...once a week N10k became N15k. Next year when rent is to be increased, I am already considering increasing Engineer's salary by 20% to N120k. None of these funds will be taken with us back to Heaven...we need to learn to touch lives.

That's because you have a good heart . Some people are naturally wicked and don't feel others deserve better. They are only after themselves and their families.
My happiness is that God is fighting for His children. So let them continue being wicked.

2 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by Jewessgratitud3: 6:09pm On Feb 22
Poiniyisworld:
The most painful thing here is that most of the school owners are either pastors, evangelists or profess to be Christians.

With their evil ways and characters towards teachers, I just HOPE THEY WILL MAKE ETERNAL LIFE O.

You're right. God bless you for this observation. This one no dey wear earrings self but mention money matter you'll become her enemy. Meanwhile Theres one that doesnt claim born again. She dey rock her makeup and trousers wella but each time I approach her for increase, she'll add. She had increased like three times for me.

Even today when my umbrella got spoilt going to work, I approached her and asked if she has any new umbrella to spare, she Said let her check her office. Later she called me into her office as I was conducting test and handed me this brand new portable umbrella here. Very nice and considerate mama.

3 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by Fearurcreeator: 7:36pm On Feb 22
Jewessgratitud3:
Why won't they be short of teachers when they pay peanut out of the millions they are making?

You'll see a school charging 50k on the average per child with a population of 100 or more pupils paying teachers 25k. Isn't that wickedness? And you expect such a person to continue working the millions for you while you and your family keep enjoying the money.

Before I never knew this mushroom private schools make hell of money until my experience with one.

This woman will always cry that the school is small that we should bear with her . When the school starts growing in number she'll do something about the pay..

One year down the line the number increased and she did an increment on her school fees. I approached her afterwards and tried to remind her of her promise to do something about our charges ( cos I'm on part-time arrangements). This woman turned to lion and tolde she can't do anything that in fact I'm earning higher than her full time teachers and she has not done anything for her teachers. I tried to let her know this was not our agreement but she turned deaf ears. Well.. since I have other schools that were paying well, I said let me calm down and see what will happen. That year she sent her son to Ukraine, this Someone who claims no money. The school kept increasing. She sent her two other children to a private university. Hmmm . Meanwhile her full time teachers were collecting 10k. Three years down the line, she still refused to do something about my charges. By then I had gotten better schools and was just using hers to rest. You know.. because I've been long with them, the school was already established in my subject, so I hardly do much or stress myself explaining for too long before they grab. Though I was not happy.

Four years down the line for the son in Ukraine to graduate, his school was bombed down. You guys know that university in Ukraine that got bombed during Russia and Ukrain war, that's the school the son was attending. She was crying and panicking that day and said she didn't know where the son ran to that he just sent the pics of the school and since then she has not heard from him that students are running all over the place while some are being evacuated by security men but that she doesn't even know where the son was. I was just consoling her that day. I saw the video of the school her son sent her burning.

All their computers, results and everything got burnt in that blast. The son was later evacuated to another neighboring Country with other students and had to start afresh because news went round then that since they lost their records and all in the fire, the school can't graduate anyone because no data to work with or determine who's due for graduation.

Now what am I trying to say, this woman used the sweat of her teachers to send the boy abroad to school in one of the most expensive universities in Ukraine while paying her teachers then, 10k as salary and always complaining school is not making money. Her other children are in private universities and till today she's still complains of no money just to avoid increasing salaries. Though according to the only teacher remaining there, I heard she has increased it to 25k now while she added a miserable 5k to mine claiming my charges has always been to high from the beginning. Now she has only two teachers left. She will interview new ones only for them not to resume the day they're supposed to.

Since she is making millions start yours too abi you no wan make millions

1 Like

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by Fearurcreeator: 7:38pm On Feb 22
missidy:
I will never advice my worst enemy to work in a school except the ones that pay well on the island (Green springs, Corona, etc). For the mainland, Oakwood, Pampers, Grace high school, ECT. Why should anyone be earning 30k in this country while the children in nursery school pay almost 200k as school fees. If you want to waste your youth, then work in a school. I worked in a school for 6 months and resigned. I refused to waste my youth and not even gain any experience. I stayed at home for almost a year before I got a job that put me on a career path.

It is better to sell tomatoes in front of your house than to work in a low paying private school. Some people think it gives mothers time for their children, that is a big lie. Private schools don't release their teachers until 4pm. You go to work from 7am to 4pm everyday just to earn 30k that can't even buy your toiletries and foodstuffs. All teachers should start thinking business and dump that profession. By the time nobody is applying for teaching jobs, the school owners will will be forced to pay teachers well. Teaching is a difficult job yet the least rewarded in this country.
Go and start school and start paying high

1 Like

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by sageb: 7:58pm On Feb 22
Jewessgratitud3:

what a sad story
The sad reality

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by Olushylay1(f): 8:00pm On Feb 22
Hooo.
Teaching job is one of the worst jobs a person can pick up in Nigeria.
It's modern day slavery.
Even thou I have a PGDE in education certificate with TRCN,have decided to lock it up in my wardrobe,I cannot come and kill my myself on top 25k or 30k
Stupid school owners.
Can they pray for their children to do that type of job.
If all private school teacher can cooperate and deal with all these dumb/ Wicked school owners.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by Love800(m): 8:31pm On Feb 22
Where can one get the cambridge certificate?
Kaka77:
Teaching is lucrative if and only if you know your worth. Yes some private school owners are deputy satan, but if you know your worth you will be fine. I currently teach in an international school, my salary is a 185k. I also have lessons both online lessons as well as face to face lessons that pays close to 200k. All you need need to do is get a few Cambridge Teaching Certificate, know your subject matter. Subjects like Chemistry, Mathematics which I Teach is hot cake especially here in Abuja. English Language also is hot cake as well as ICT.
Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by Idrisk19(m): 9:43pm On Feb 22
Teachers of private schools is suffer a lot. a degree holder earn 20k monthly.
Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by MasterTeeUSA: 12:14am On Feb 23
But rich people are already rich...even if you pay people a decent wage, you will still be rich...I know people abroad who are still barely paying minimum wages in Nigeria. It's like common. I can't pay a graduate N50k. You can price your goods accordingly and pay well...the difference will be clear. Yet, these Rich folks price their goods high and still pay shitty wages. It is well with them all. Maybe it's because I know what it felt like not having much and living with someone else. Don't get me wrong. Some people have an entitlement mindset, and some workers are lazy and not diligent, but paying well will even make it easier to fire and hire. There would be options out there to pick the best from the people.

Jewessgratitud3:

That's because you have a good heart . Some people are naturally wicked and don't feel others deserve better. They are only after themselves and their families.
My happiness is that God is fighting for His children. So let them continue being wicked.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by Love800(m): 5:45am On Feb 23
What openings is that?
How can one apply
seunayantokun:
Most private schools in Nigeria make teachers slaves. When you have a way out, like the ongoing UK opening for maths, languages and science teachers, they will be losers.
Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by Love800(m): 5:52am On Feb 23
U have trcn and post graduate diploma in education? Those are good certs and license dat qualify u. Find a big private school to work with na?
Or find a government teaching job
Olushylay1:
Hooo.
Teaching job is one of the worst jobs a person can pick up in Nigeria.
It's modern day slavery.
Even thou I have a PGDE in education certificate with TRCN,have decided to lock it up in my wardrobe,I cannot come and kill my myself on top 25k or 30k
Stupid school owners.
Can they pray for their children to do that type of job.
If all private school teacher can cooperate and deal with all these dumb/ Wicked school owners.
Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by seunayantokun(m): 6:19am On Feb 23
Love800:
What openings is that?
How can one apply

Do Google search. It is ending by end of this month. They are recruiting teachers trained and registered as teachers after their degree in Nigeria. Sciences, Mathematics and languages like French and Spanish. Just make sure you can communicate well in English. That is it.
Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by Love800(m): 8:01am On Feb 23
U mentioned maths, sciences and langueges(french, spanish). What about english subject teachers?
seunayantokun:

Do Google search. It is ending by end of this month. They are recruiting teachers trained and registered as teachers after their degree in Nigeria. Sciences, Mathematics and languages like French and Spanish. Just make sure you can communicate well in English. That is it.
Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by seunayantokun(m): 9:31am On Feb 23
Love800:
U mentioned maths, sciences and langueges(french, spanish). What about english subject teachers?

English not included.

The Punch Newspaper reported this news last year. I wonder why you weren't aware.

No agent is involved, avoid scam.

This link copied can help, so read and follow through: https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/non-uk-teachers/get-an-international-relocation-payment
Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by Love800(m): 11:40am On Feb 23
Alright.
Tankz so much
seunayantokun:

English not included.

The Punch Newspaper reported this news last year. I wonder why you weren't aware.

No agent is involved, avoid scam.

This link copied can help, so read and follow through: https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/non-uk-teachers/get-an-international-relocation-payment
Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by Love800(m): 5:40pm On Feb 23
Hello
U teach in a nigerian school?
ajebuter:
Dey play

I'm a top-notch teacher and l earn very comfortable 6 figures with several benefits ( medicals, leave bonus, travel expenses, etc)

Not to talk of several lucrative private online lELTS and TOEFL classes

Teachers are poor

Yen yen yen cheesy grin grin
Re: Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? by Monaboo(m): 11:19pm On Mar 04
The last school I taught, the students pay 150,000 Naira as school fees.

Guess how much they pay teachers?

N30K per month.

While NYSC Corpers were paid N5K per month.

This was in 2018.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ayo Adekunle Ajala's Father Challenges Suicide Theory In His Death In Kebbi / Branches Of Jamb Office To Get Your Change Of Institution/course Form / South African Law Graduate & His Great Grandmum Who Sponsored His Education

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.