Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,114 members, 7,814,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:14 PM

Again, Customs Intercepts Niger Republic Bound Grains In Kebbi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Again, Customs Intercepts Niger Republic Bound Grains In Kebbi (11622 Views)

Customs Intercepts Combat-ready Drone, Military Hardware At MMIA (pic) / Customs Intercepts Drones, Military Uniforms, Others In Lagos (Pictures) / Customs Intercepts Container-Load Of Guns In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Again, Customs Intercepts Niger Republic Bound Grains In Kebbi by ManirBK: 9:08am On Feb 23
The Zone ‘B” Federal Operations Unit of the Nigeria Customs Service has intercepted two Niger Republic bound trucks loaded with grains, on Thursday.

In the last few days, officials of the Nigeria Customs Service have intercepted grains being taken to Niger Republic in Katsina, Sokoto, Kano and Jigawa states.

PREMIUM TIMES gathered through a service intelligence report that the trucks were intercepted around 1 p.m. by Kebbi and Kangiwa/Argungu Natsini “FOU roving team”

Grains in the two trucks include maize, millet and beans.

“Another interception at about 1300hours fou B kebbi Roving and kangiwa Argungu/ Natsini has intercepted two canters loaded with grains comprises maize, millet and beans going to Niger Republic.
Both vehicles were taken to customs house Kebbi,” a part of the report read.

According to another memo sighted by PREMIUM TIMES, the FOU Zone ‘B’ Kaduna has deployed more officers in its area of responsibility to ensure no movement of goods or people in and out of the country.

The memo, prepared by S M Mansur, the Unit Staff Officer, was approved by Wasa Chedi, the Zonal Comptroller.

“All borders in our AOR (Area of Responsibility) under Zone ‘B’ remained closed pending federal government directives. All officers in charge should ensure nothing goes out or comes in including grains of all sort,” the memo read.

Mr Mansur warned officers in charge of units to ensure compliance as “any breach of this instruction, the O/C will be held responsible.”

Backstory
Following the 2023 coup that ousted Mohamed Bazoum as president of Niger Republic, Nigeria shut its land border with the country and cut its electricity supply as part of sanctions against the military junta.

Security has been intensified on the border and around border communities especially in the north, where Nigeria shares an expansive border with Niger Republic covering Kebbi, Sokoto, Zamfara, Katsina, Jigawa, Yobe and Borno states.

In recent months, Nigerians have been grappling with inflation and economic hardship that was exacerbated by the removal of fuel subsidies and devaluation of the naira last year.

The prices of foodstuff and other commodities have been soaring, weakening the already fragile economy of the country.

The Nigeria Customs Service said it now intends to intensify surveillance to stop grains from being taken out of the country, which it said was aggravating the situation.

About 15 trucks of grains were intercepted in Sokoto State on Sunday, while 50 more were intercepted in Zamfara State on Monday and four intercepted in Kano State, also on Sunday.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/670977-again-customs-intercepts-niger-republic-bound-grains.html

6 Likes

Re: Again, Customs Intercepts Niger Republic Bound Grains In Kebbi by ManirBK: 9:08am On Feb 23
Good development
slow and steady we are going to promise land
God bless Tinubu
God blesx Nigeria

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Again, Customs Intercepts Niger Republic Bound Grains In Kebbi by ManirBK: 9:09am On Feb 23
ok
Re: Again, Customs Intercepts Niger Republic Bound Grains In Kebbi by matify83: 9:23am On Feb 23
It's high time they started confiscating and selling these seized items to the indigent populace.

The last interception of about 50 trucks were released to the owner though turned back.

18 Likes

Re: Again, Customs Intercepts Niger Republic Bound Grains In Kebbi by Chukwuka319(m): 9:30am On Feb 23
These people are very wicked.With what is happening currently in the country, they still have the mind to transport bags of foodstuffs to Niger Republic.The consficated bags of foodstuffs should be sold to the Nigerian masses.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Again, Customs Intercepts Niger Republic Bound Grains In Kebbi by freeGiftOfGod: 9:44am On Feb 23
That border is only closed on paper.

Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy-laden and overburdened, and I will cause you to rest. [I will ease and relieve and refresh your souls.] Matthew 11:28.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Again, Customs Intercepts Niger Republic Bound Grains In Kebbi by slivertongue: 9:54am On Feb 23
This is not new. It's been like this for decades

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Again, Customs Intercepts Niger Republic Bound Grains In Kebbi by Cassandraloius: 10:03am On Feb 23
Thank God they were caught.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Again, Customs Intercepts Niger Republic Bound Grains In Kebbi by BodyCount: 10:05am On Feb 23
grin
Re: Again, Customs Intercepts Niger Republic Bound Grains In Kebbi by phemmie06(m): 10:05am On Feb 23
As stubborn as Northerners
Re: Again, Customs Intercepts Niger Republic Bound Grains In Kebbi by Warrior99: 10:05am On Feb 23
slivertongue:
So true.

The North should have been one country with Nigeriens.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Again, Customs Intercepts Niger Republic Bound Grains In Kebbi by Rexnegro(m): 10:06am On Feb 23
Hmmm
Re: Again, Customs Intercepts Niger Republic Bound Grains In Kebbi by Frayoworld(m): 10:07am On Feb 23
After being caught what next??
Re: Again, Customs Intercepts Niger Republic Bound Grains In Kebbi by baralatie(m): 10:07am On Feb 23
Reminds me of rice warehouses in Benin republic

1 Like

Re: Again, Customs Intercepts Niger Republic Bound Grains In Kebbi by ShangTsung000: 10:07am On Feb 23
IYOO....

Did Buhari really close the border or he said that impoverish the South Easterners?
And released to the owner...... Only happens in the North. This country is going nowhere.

ONYE ANWULU!!!
Re: Again, Customs Intercepts Niger Republic Bound Grains In Kebbi by enemyofprogress: 10:07am On Feb 23
Very good. Tinubu is working

How I found myself in Nigeria isn't my problem, my problem is where was my Great Grandfather when they kidnapped his mates to America? 🤷🫣🫣

6 Likes

Re: Again, Customs Intercepts Niger Republic Bound Grains In Kebbi by Think9ja(m): 10:08am On Feb 23
What is their offense?

Is it that they didn't pay custom duty or because they wanted to export it?

I do not care if the entire country is dying of hunger and starvation, if there is a higher bidder in Niger, I will export my goods to Niger to sell.

Anybody that is hungry should go and farm like other people are doing.

For decades, we've bastardized farming and farmers, seeing it as what only poor and illiterate people should do. It's either we all go back to farming, or we allow the farmers sell to the highest bidder from any part of the world.

Just now that it's their time to start cashing out, it's become an issue.

Let the farmers breath

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Again, Customs Intercepts Niger Republic Bound Grains In Kebbi by NairalandForumo: 10:08am On Feb 23
Nigeria's falling currency is one of the major problem here....
Re: Again, Customs Intercepts Niger Republic Bound Grains In Kebbi by Lovenorth: 10:08am On Feb 23
The federal government is responsible for this nonsense for making our currency weaker, they are only doing this to play the minds of the gullible amongst us

2 Likes

Re: Again, Customs Intercepts Niger Republic Bound Grains In Kebbi by Generation1: 10:08am On Feb 23
All we need to do is to continue to pray for tinubu.
God bless Tinubu
God blesx Nigeria

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Again, Customs Intercepts Niger Republic Bound Grains In Kebbi by FOOTSOLDIER2(f): 10:09am On Feb 23
This contraption is not a country. E no go ever better for lord Lugard for him grave now. May God continue to punish him for forcing this contraption together
Re: Again, Customs Intercepts Niger Republic Bound Grains In Kebbi by PortHarcourtcit(m): 10:09am On Feb 23
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu MEKA OOO
Re: Again, Customs Intercepts Niger Republic Bound Grains In Kebbi by Gadafii: 10:10am On Feb 23
Tilinbu forcefully stole the presidential mandat, everything scattered to and abysmal proportions, ecowas self disintegrated, with Niger republic practically telling the ecowas chairman to go Bleep himself away from their country

Tinubu the mandate stealer couldn’t even do anything to Niger,Niger still went ahead to ban non commercial flights from Nigeria, the almighty Nigeria has fallen badly, if not who be niger wey dey ratio naija like that

Na that same niger northerners Dey export their goods to while Nigerians barely have enough to eat or lack the purchasing power to buy these things

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Again, Customs Intercepts Niger Republic Bound Grains In Kebbi by anochilar(m): 10:10am On Feb 23
It's best for foodstuffs not to go out of the country, but can be allowed to come in, so there can be an oversupply, and prices will crash... Let supply exceed demand.
Especially in rice, beans, and wheat

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Again, Customs Intercepts Niger Republic Bound Grains In Kebbi by akseph1: 10:10am On Feb 23
Chukwuka319:
These people are very wicked.With what is happening currently in the country, they still have the mind to transport bags of foodstuffs to Niger Republic.The consficated bags of foodstuffs should be sold to the Nigerian masses.
Do you say wicked?
I Don't think you know what is happening. I was told the price of fertilizer here in Middle belt is 40k. Imagine investing heavily on a farm and then you cannot get something tangible as profit.

2 Likes

Re: Again, Customs Intercepts Niger Republic Bound Grains In Kebbi by popular101(m): 10:10am On Feb 23
enemyofprogress:
Very good. Tinubu is working

How I found myself in Nigeria isn't my problem, my problem is where was my Great Grandfather when they kidnapped his mates to America? 🤷🫣🫣
grin life no balance
Re: Again, Customs Intercepts Niger Republic Bound Grains In Kebbi by tj2018: 10:11am On Feb 23
Keep deceiving yourself.. Which Promise Land are go heading to.
These are farmers and traders, they can sale their products anywhere. Tell the FG to force the multinationals to meet the internal demand for oil and gas? or Dangote to meet the demands of Petrol before exporting. Are they exporting government grain? or Palliatives? useless paid agents ... mumu tribal bigots
ManirBK:

Good development
God bless Tinubu
God blesx Nigeria

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Again, Customs Intercepts Niger Republic Bound Grains In Kebbi by Coolgent(m): 10:11am On Feb 23
Obasanjo has spoilt this country now his Brother has continue from where he stopped.
Emilokam
Re: Again, Customs Intercepts Niger Republic Bound Grains In Kebbi by Funkyswagzz(m): 10:13am On Feb 23
Customs intercept grains going to niger yet those tankers taking fuel to other neighbouring countries could not be stopped. I do believe the customs work when they feel like.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Again, Customs Intercepts Niger Republic Bound Grains In Kebbi by jojothaiv(m): 10:13am On Feb 23
slivertongue:
As I'm typing right now, some trucks are getting loaded and filled up ready for the journey of their lifetime across the same border and in the same Kebbi state.

I'm less surprised

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Again, Customs Intercepts Niger Republic Bound Grains In Kebbi by faceland: 10:14am On Feb 23
If you are serious about business, settle the custom before moving.

Or hire those 50k a month soldiers. Customs are just civilians to a truly psychopathic soldier.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hike In Electricity Tariff Insensitive, Inhuman – Reps Minority Caucus / We Are Not Gaining Anything From Nigeria – Northern Leaders / Have You Ever Bothered To Find Out Who Your Local Government Chairman Is

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.