Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,735 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:33 PM

US Man Accused Of Making $1.8m From Listening To His Wife's Remote Work Calls - Crime (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / US Man Accused Of Making $1.8m From Listening To His Wife's Remote Work Calls (28609 Views)

US: Man Chops Partner's Head Off, Stabs Her Corpse Over 100 Times (Pictured) / US Man Arrested For Beheading Pregnant Ex-Girlfriend (Photos) / UPDATE: Nigeria Lady Laments As Fraudsters Move N4.8m From Her 75-yr-old Mom‘s D (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: US Man Accused Of Making $1.8m From Listening To His Wife's Remote Work Calls by aribisala0(m): 12:58pm On Feb 24
DeepSight:

Yeah, I hear you. I guess "wisdom is profitable to direct" as the good book says.

But e sure me die say people plenty wey dey roll with deals like that all the time.
No doubt there is insider trading . If you get away with it you win big. If not you pay a heavy price like many acquisitive crimes. In this case a maximum penalty of twenty years shows how seriously the US takes it.
Re: US Man Accused Of Making $1.8m From Listening To His Wife's Remote Work Calls by aribisala0(m): 1:00pm On Feb 24
talk2hb1:

Yet she is a betrayal
You mean betrayer?
Re: US Man Accused Of Making $1.8m From Listening To His Wife's Remote Work Calls by PlanetZero: 1:51pm On Feb 24
talk2hb1:

That's Espionage case, Mumu.

Espionage? Or fraudster. You be fraudster

Don't worry your own day is coming. You will be caught
Re: US Man Accused Of Making $1.8m From Listening To His Wife's Remote Work Calls by MVLOX(m): 2:04pm On Feb 24
fregeneh:
hmmm! Nigrians i ..

Wetin we do na.....
Re: US Man Accused Of Making $1.8m From Listening To His Wife's Remote Work Calls by talk2hb1(m): 2:21pm On Feb 24
PlanetZero:

Espionage? Or fraudster. You be fraudster

Don't worry your own day is coming. You will be caught
If you don’t want to be unfortunate in life to your 25th generation, be careful.
Re: US Man Accused Of Making $1.8m From Listening To His Wife's Remote Work Calls by spartachico(m): 2:30pm On Feb 24
And you think relocation is a sin, mumu talk, or you think just because he confessed doesnt mean othet employee or employee families at the firm didnt try their luck too
descarado:

And u and her will not be found out?
Childish talk.

1 Like

Re: US Man Accused Of Making $1.8m From Listening To His Wife's Remote Work Calls by nairalanda1(m): 3:24pm On Feb 24
spartachico:
And you think relocation is a sin, mumu talk, or you think just because he confessed doesnt mean othet employee or employee families at the firm didnt try their luck too

It is like some of you don't get it.

Even if no one talks, their financial records would attract suspicion. Someone has even said that next year, when they file for taxes, they would have to disclose income. And even then, the SEC does not need to look at tax returns...

At the end, anyone doing insider trading is in trobule.

A lot of big American businessmen and politicans have entered legal wahala for similar crimes. Oga is not the first.

And even if he relocates, all that is needed is an Interpol red notice to bring him back home.

1 Like

Re: US Man Accused Of Making $1.8m From Listening To His Wife's Remote Work Calls by Obierika(m): 3:29pm On Feb 24
matify83:
What could have happened if she hadn't reported the case to bp authority leading to her sack?

Why was she against the husband's success even though she didn't willfully give out ''insider secrets'' to her husband?

This kind of husband go sabi do amebo. Must you explain how you came about privileged information that made you a millionaire?
Who ask you?

This case get as e be.

Sometimes it's best to just let sleeping dogs lie.

She reported to her bosses and still go fired and now her husband will be prosecuted meaning her family will use most of it's saving to pay lawyers for his defence
Re: US Man Accused Of Making $1.8m From Listening To His Wife's Remote Work Calls by fregeneh(m): 3:31pm On Feb 24
MVLOX:

Wetin we do na.....
always very inovative when it comes to things of nature.
Re: US Man Accused Of Making $1.8m From Listening To His Wife's Remote Work Calls by Tobest94: 3:41pm On Feb 24
So why did the mumu woman report? Your husband just made money and he even said he doesn’t want you to work long hours again that’s why. Like why are some women so dumb and selfish?
Re: US Man Accused Of Making $1.8m From Listening To His Wife's Remote Work Calls by nairalanda1(m): 3:41pm On Feb 24
Obierika:

Sometimes it's best to just let sleeping dogs lie.

She reported to her bosses and still go fired and now her husband will be prosecuted meaning her family will use most of it's saving to pay lawyers for his defence

Even if she did not report, the SEC would have found out sooner rather than later.
A lot of the people prosecuted for the same crime in the US...no one reported. SEC saw some suspicious movements in their financials, and investigated.
As someone has even said, when it is time for their tax form to be filled, the funny financal would be flagged. (and if the man hides it and the IRS finds out, on top of his problem with SEC, IRS go add its own, and those people are madt. Very madt.)
Plus if the woman did not report when she did, and SEC found out, she could spend a long time in jail for NOT REPORTING. Even now that she reported, I am suspicious that SEC is still looking at her one kind...altho they say she has been proven innocent.
Plus the bosses had to fire her..for 1) carelessness 2) SEC may come and implicate them in the crime too. Even though they did not know.
Finally, the man has been found guilty anyway. He took a plea deal. No lengthy trial.
Re: US Man Accused Of Making $1.8m From Listening To His Wife's Remote Work Calls by nairalanda1(m): 3:43pm On Feb 24
Tobest94:
So why did the mumu woman report? Your husband just made money and he even said he doesn’t want you to work long hours again that’s why. Like why are some women so dumb and selfish?

Because the woman no wan spend time for prision alongside her husband.

Her husband did a serious crime. If she had not reported when she did, but kept quiet...and the SEC found out either by looking at their records, or by the IRS flagging funny financials in their tax report, she would have been in soup as well.

SO, she reported. If not, dem go come for am to. And they won't take 'I did not know' as valid defence.
Re: US Man Accused Of Making $1.8m From Listening To His Wife's Remote Work Calls by Tobest94: 3:47pm On Feb 24
nairalanda1:

Because the woman no wan spend time for prision alongside her husband.

Her husband did a serious crime. If she had not reported when she did, but kept quiet...and the SEC found out either by looking at their records, or by the IRS flagging funny financials in their tax report, she would have been in soup as well.

SO, she reported. If not, dem go come for am to. And they won't take 'I did not know' as valid defence.
na lie. He husband only need to be smart by insisting the company has been on his watch list since and he bought the shares without any information from anybody. Just deny any accusation and let them come with evidence. He shouldn’t have sold too quick tho
Re: US Man Accused Of Making $1.8m From Listening To His Wife's Remote Work Calls by nairalanda1(m): 3:54pm On Feb 24
Tobest94:
na lie. He husband only need to be smart by insisting the company has been on his watch list since and he bought the shares without any information from anybody. Just deny any accusation and let them come with evidence. He shouldn’t have sold too quick tho

You don't get it. The woman was part of her company's mergers and acqusitions department..ie the department overseeing the merger that would have brought about a rise in share prices.

It does not matter what defence the husband brings...SEC would be suspicious immediately. His wife too would be a serious suspect. They were both in soup. Because she reported when she did, her own palaver ended with her sack.

Besides, the man did not mount the defence you say he should have mounted, because he knew he would have been proven a liar. SO, he confessed, and took his punishment. Read the article. Plus, SEC does not prosecute cases without evidence. The evidence was strong.
Re: US Man Accused Of Making $1.8m From Listening To His Wife's Remote Work Calls by Spidermon: 4:13pm On Feb 24
MVLOX:
The husband self no sharp.... That kind thing Na croonies you go use so that nothing can be traced to you

Re: US Man Accused Of Making $1.8m From Listening To His Wife's Remote Work Calls by Ferdinandu(m): 4:26pm On Feb 24
matify83:
What could have happened if she hadn't reported the case to bp authority leading to her sack?

Why was she against the husband's success even though she didn't willfully give out ''insider secrets'' to her husband?

This kind of husband go sabi do amebo. Must you explain how you came about privileged information that made you a millionaire?
Who ask you?

This case get as e be.
Contentment is the key to life's happiness but greedy world thinks it is more money no matter how you make it,besides in future there is a probability that someone will stumble on the buy and sell information of the husband's market and somehow link it to her insider knowledge, boom she will become an accomplice to a crime she didn't commit to make money she doesn't actually need,probably she is already seeing herself in a prison uniform in this scenario. Records works in US unlike Nigeria where nobody keeps such records
Re: US Man Accused Of Making $1.8m From Listening To His Wife's Remote Work Calls by loswhite(m): 4:26pm On Feb 24
immortalcrown:
Gagantuan gaga!

Self-centred commenters below claim the woman worked against her husband's success. Will your judgement be the same if you are the woman's employer? Will you say the same thing if your neighbour becomes like the man against you and a company you work for? So, because he married her makes it right for him to abuse the conjugal trust and spy on the wife's employer? Life is about the golden rule. Treat others the way you want to be treated. Put yourself in the company's shoes. You people suffer from split personality disorder. Being ethical is a crime to you when it doesn't favour your interest.

This excerpt from the post clearly shows why and how the man's action is wrong. Working remotely is very good but self-centred people want to abuse it.

The man betrayed his wife's trust. He makes her regret not treating him like an outsider or a stranger in the marriage.

I sincerely condemn his action. The wife felt safe in the presence of her husband but later got disappointed in him.
So the woman is right and now she has been fired. There is no perfection anywhere and the world doesn't have to be perfect. The mistakes had been made just talk to your husband that it is wrong...EOD.
Re: US Man Accused Of Making $1.8m From Listening To His Wife's Remote Work Calls by TWoods(m): 5:31pm On Feb 24
DeepSight:

I honestly think you guys have over simplified this issue and there are layers of rationale that you are simply skipping. It bears repeating that she did not disclose the information to her husband. It bears repeating that he is not an insider - and in this regard it bears repeating that the question as to their marriage, relationship, proximity, et all, only arises if she disclosed to him or conspired with him. Once that is not the case, an argument can be made that this does not meet the test of insider trading. Because you would have to begin to show that even where one comes across information accidentally or randomly, one cannot invest based on that, as a non-insider. Several things bear repeating here which you are glossing over. This is why I have painstakingly tried to delineate and draw lines between the fact of the marriage and how the information was procured. This is why I have tried to give analogies to split the issues. But Mr. Twoods and others say I am speaking grammar.

Oh well. Perhaps I am. Or perhaps they simply dont think as lawyers are trained to think.

PS: I am not an American Lawyer. I am a Nigerian, Common Law Lawyer. So I readily admit I do not know all American laws. I will readily raise up my hands and say, thank you for schooling me if someone comes along and shows me an American law that says you cannot invest in any company which may be invested in or taken over by a company which a relative of yours is presently working in, if you came across that information accidentally. And in the absence of such a law, then its something that has to be reasoned out jurisprudentially. What is jurisprudence? It simply means the philosophy behind the law. And that is why I have been raising analogies.

But oh well.

I wish you had said this earlier, I would not have bothered to engage you at all. However, I should have spotted that when you misused the 5th amendment.

2 Likes

Re: US Man Accused Of Making $1.8m From Listening To His Wife's Remote Work Calls by DeepSight(m): 6:11pm On Feb 24
TWoods:

I wish you had said this earlier, I would not have bothered to engage you at all. However, I should have spotted that when you misused the 5th amendment.

Maybe you should have read my words more carefully. I didnt present it as some defense. My exact words were that it could be "played in interesting directions." This is the third time you have shown a lack of attention to words while sounding omniscient. I think you presume too much.

And what is the Fifth Amendment here if not protection against self incrimination. How you can claim that that cannot be spun in interesting directions in a matter like this is beyond me.

Look, enjoy.
I still can't be fluffed by one who miscontrues an example as a statement of fact. You fail to grasp even the most elementary things.
Re: US Man Accused Of Making $1.8m From Listening To His Wife's Remote Work Calls by TWoods(m): 7:54pm On Feb 24
DeepSight:

Maybe you should have read my words more carefully. I didnt present it as some defense. My exact words were that it could be "played in interesting directions." This is the third time you have shown a lack of attention to words while sounding omniscient. I think you presume too much.

And what is the Fifth Amendment here if not protection against self-incrimination. How you can claim that that cannot be spun in interesting directions in a matter like this is beyond me.

Look, enjoy.
I still can't be fluffed by one who miscontrues an example as a statement of fact. You fail to grasp even the most elementary things.

This is more idiocy from you frankly. You're a Nigerian lawyer with zero experience in US law... and here you are, pontificating with a lot of English words but saying nothing of substance.

First, the 5th Amendment goes beyond just protection against self-incrimination. Second, it has zero relevance in this matter. The wife was obligated to report once her husband made her aware of his federal crime. She could claim the 5th amendment and then spend the next 20 years in prison once it was proven she was aware of what her husband did.

Let me repeat what others have said that seems to not penetrate your bubble of misguided self-importance... there are zero "interesting directions" this could have played. First, you are NOT a US lawyer, and cannot for the life of me understand why you think you are more knowledgeable than the US Justice Department and his defense lawyer. Second, he confessed to his wife and made a plea deal. There are no avenues left when you voluntarily plead guilty to a crime. Just so you are aware, the conviction rate for federal prosecutors here is >90%. What does this mean? When federal prosecutors file a charge against you, they already have ironclad evidence to convict you 9 times out of 10. Your best chance is to seek a plea deal. But with lawyers like you... "interesting directions" indeed.

It would be nice to not have those who have no literacy in US law continuously making a fool of themselves. Stick to Nigerian law... thanks.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US Man Accused Of Making $1.8m From Listening To His Wife's Remote Work Calls by DeepSight(m): 8:05pm On Feb 24
TWoods:

This is more idiocy from you frankly. You're a Nigerian lawyer with zero experience in US law... and here you are, pontificating with a lot of English words but saying nothing of substance.

First, the 5th Amendment goes beyond just protection against self-incrimination. Second, it has zero relevance in this matter. The wife was obligated to report once her husband made her aware of his federal crime. She could claim the 5th amendment and then spend the next 20 years in prison once it was proven she was aware of what her husband did.

Let me repeat what others have said that seems to not penetrate your bubble of misguided self-importance... there are zero "interesting directions" this could have played. First, you are NOT a US lawyer, and cannot for the life of me understand why you think you are more knowledgeable than the US Justice Department and his defense lawyer. Second, he confessed to his wife and made a plea deal. There are no avenues left when you voluntarily plead guilty to a crime. Just so you are aware, the conviction rate for federal prosecutors here is >90%. It would be nice to not have those who have no literacy in US law continuously making a fool of themselves. Stick to Nigerian law... thanks.

Just look at the bold. Who would imagine that one has been talking about what can be done after he has confessed and done a plea deal. Clearly one has since been talking about all options which would have been available from the get go, pre confession, pre deal. This conversation could not be read any other way save by a re.tard.

You huff and puff but are beyond shallow. You have no sense of nuance, subtlety and fine detail whatsoever. You repeatedly misunderstand what is being said in a most embarrassing way: it is painful to watch.

One has tried to be most gentlemanly to you, but its useless. You are simply vacant.

If you don't know it, American law is rooted in the same English Common law as Nigerian law, and I have rendered legal advise in over 40 countries including places as far away as Russia, the UK and the UAE.

You are dense. I have nothing more to say to you. Good night.
Re: US Man Accused Of Making $1.8m From Listening To His Wife's Remote Work Calls by bizhop01: 9:18pm On Feb 24
I think the man is smart, but when a man talk too much is a problem cool
Re: US Man Accused Of Making $1.8m From Listening To His Wife's Remote Work Calls by PlanetZero: 10:22pm On Feb 24
talk2hb1:

If you don’t want to be unfortunate in life to your 25th generation, be careful.

Sorry if you are. It is a pity. Fraudster

1 Like

Re: US Man Accused Of Making $1.8m From Listening To His Wife's Remote Work Calls by TWoods(m): 4:11am On Feb 26
DeepSight:

Just look at the bold. Who would imagine that one has been talking about what can be done after he has confessed and done a plea deal. Clearly one has since been talking about all options which would have been available from the get go, pre confession, pre deal. This conversation could not be read any other way save by a re.tard.

You huff and puff but are beyond shallow. You have no sense of nuance, subtlety and fine detail whatsoever. You repeatedly misunderstand what is being said in a most embarrassing way: it is painful to watch.

One has tried to be most gentlemanly to you, but its useless. You are simply vacant.

If you don't know it, American law is rooted in the same English Common law as Nigerian law, and I have rendered legal advise in over 40 countries including places as far away as Russia, the UK and the UAE.

Re: US Man Accused Of Making $1.8m From Listening To His Wife's Remote Work Calls by TWoods(m): 4:12am On Feb 26
DeepSight:

What's dumb about this is that it is simply a list of facesaving insults—nothing of substance. At no point do you point to something I said that was wrong... I provided clear arguments as to why you were wrong... and you devolved into nonsequiturs and ad hominem, like a child. quite clearly you were not qualified to render an opinion on this case... but you pretended you knew it all. You repeatedly remind us all that you've "rendered legal advice in over 40 countries"... as if that qualifies you as an expert in US law. The typical Nigerian mentality. A shame.
Re: US Man Accused Of Making $1.8m From Listening To His Wife's Remote Work Calls by DeepSight(m): 8:23am On Feb 26
TWoods:

What's dumb about this is that it is simply a list of facesaving insults—nothing of substance. At no point do you point to something I said that was wrong... I provided clear arguments as to why you were wrong... and you devolved into nonsequiturs and ad hominem, like a child. quite clearly you were not qualified to render an opinion on this case... but you pretended you knew it all. You repeatedly remind us all that you've "rendered legal advice in over 40 countries"... as if that qualifies you as an expert in US law. The typical Nigerian mentality. A shame.

Oga you were the one who started insults. Check your posts. I never insulted you before you insulted me. I am tired of you. You know nothing. You are a simpleton.

I have repeatedly pointed out your embarrassing errors. The last one was saying that nothing can be done after he has pled guilty. Only a daft retard would think this conversation was about what to do after throwing in the towel. After the game is over. How could you say something so irredeemably silly?

Before that I gave you analogies and in the most infantile and retarded way you took them as statements of fact. That's as bad as Jesus giving a parable, say of the Good Samaritan, and you replying that it never happened.

That's how unfathomably dense you have been.

Abeg Good day.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Two Men Steal Woman's Skull In Ogun, Arrested By Police (Photo) / Man, 24, Caught Defiling Neighbour’s 3-year-old Daughter / PDP & APC Thugs Kill Three, Injure Others In Lagos (pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.