Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,050 members, 7,821,614 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:43 PM

Why Food Items Will Be Very Scarce In Nigeria Next Year - Babachir Lawal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Food Items Will Be Very Scarce In Nigeria Next Year - Babachir Lawal (270 Views)

Subsidy: Tinubu Reaping The Consequences Of His Hasty Decisions - Babachir Lawal / Babachir Lawal In Villa, 13 Months After Sack / Babachir Lawal: I Earned N930,000 Monthly As SGF, Now I Earn N500 Million (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Food Items Will Be Very Scarce In Nigeria Next Year - Babachir Lawal by nairavsdollars(f): 3:08pm On Feb 24
Babachir Lawal, former secretary to the government of the federation (SGF), says farmers are grappling with a spike in the cost of production, and it may ultimately affect the prices of food items.

Speaking on the protests over the rising cost of living, Lawal, who is a farmer, said although there is abundant food in the market, Nigerians lack the purchasing power.

In recent days, there have been demonstrations in parts of the country over the prevalent economic hardship and rising cost of living.

“This thing (protests) we are facing now, it is not because of lack of food items in the market. There is abundance of food items in the market. What is lacking is the money with which to purchase it. This is because the money in our pocket has lost its value,” he said.

If last year, I bought five mudus of garri, today, that same amount can only buy you one mudu. So, the food is there but the money is not there to purchase it.”

Lawal said many farmers will reduce their production due to the high cost of purchasing needed equipment such as tractors, fertilisers, and diesel.

“Next year, what will happen is that the food will not be there. I am a farmer, a very big-time farmer and I know what I am saying. I spend about three drums of diesel every week during the planting season for my tractors, bulldozers and other vehicles,” he said.

"Now, a drum of diesel delivered to my village cost me N380,000 as opposed to N180,000 last year. With this increment, will I be able to afford sufficient diesel for five tractors, two bulldozers, one excavator, and six delivery trucks next year? The consequences might be I will have to reduce the size of my farm.

“Look at fertiliser for example, the highest price last year was N25,000 to N27,000 for NPK- 20 1010. This year, I went to the market to see if I start buying my fertiliser early, the price is now N37,000. So, if last year, I was able to buy fertiliser to cultivate 2,000 hectares of cotton, this year, based on the price, I will have to restrict myself to 100 hectares because I will not have enough money to buy sufficient fertiliser.

“All these price increases will affect the quality and quantity of harvests next year. So, next year, you might enter the market and the cost of food items has doubled because of the production costs. Next year, the problem will be compounded. I can assure you of this as a farmer.

“Food will be scarce because farmers will be unable to produce sufficiently and therefore, supply and demand price will have to increase.”

https://www.thecable.ng/babachir-lawal-rising-production-cost-will-affect-quantity-of-farm-produce-in-2025

Re: Why Food Items Will Be Very Scarce In Nigeria Next Year - Babachir Lawal by BBIA: 3:09pm On Feb 24
grin
Re: Why Food Items Will Be Very Scarce In Nigeria Next Year - Babachir Lawal by immortalcrown(m): 3:10pm On Feb 24
Re: Why Food Items Will Be Very Scarce In Nigeria Next Year - Babachir Lawal by Apus: 3:30pm On Feb 24
For f**KS sake, where the hell is the diesel Dangote promised will be in the market by February!
February is gone like this.
Petroleum energy dictates the price of almost everything in Nigeria, both goods and services. It's a pity we have to rely on one man at this crucial point.

1 Like

Re: Why Food Items Will Be Very Scarce In Nigeria Next Year - Babachir Lawal by plessis: 3:48pm On Feb 24
What exactly is the government doing to halt the inflation?
Re: Why Food Items Will Be Very Scarce In Nigeria Next Year - Babachir Lawal by RepoMan007: 3:56pm On Feb 24
Politics has eaten into manufacture and commerce after security was tamed. That's the fastest way to arouse the anger of the masses against the government.
Go into the main local food hubs and buy off strategic food items that can trigger inflationary effects of substitutes.

See the way this dumped politician twisted his calculation to justify disproportionate inflation. He said if fertilizer that sold for N25k-N27k jumped to N37k, he will have to scale down from 2000 hectares to 100 hectares.
Hear him
Look at fertiliser for example, the highest price last year was N25,000 to N27,000 for NPK- 20 1010. This year, I went to the market to see if I start buying my fertiliser early, the price is now N37,000. So, if last year, I was able to buy fertiliser to cultivate 2,000 hectares of cotton, this year, based on the price, I will have to restrict myself to 100 hectares because I will not have enough money to buy sufficient fertiliser.
That's less than 50% increase in cost of input making him scale down production by 95%.

(1) (Reply)

Qatar Declines Business, Economic Roundtable With Nigerian Govt / Edo 2024: Atiku Urges Shaibu And Others To Support Ighodalo As PDP Guber / I Don't Believe In One Nigeria-tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.