Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,269 members, 7,811,775 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:24 PM

Customs Didn’t Cause Rice Buyers’ Deaths At Lagos Office – Spokesperson - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Customs Didn’t Cause Rice Buyers’ Deaths At Lagos Office – Spokesperson (9409 Views)

Buratai: Spiritual Warfare Prevented Deaths At Lekki Toll Plaza / Deaths At APC Rivers Rally: Reno Omokri Blasts Buhari / Deaths At Rivers State APC Presidential Rally (Graphic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Customs Didn’t Cause Rice Buyers’ Deaths At Lagos Office – Spokesperson by treesun: 8:50am On Feb 26
The Nigeria Customs Service has described as unfortunate the stampede at its office in Yaba, Lagos, during the sale of 25kg bags of rice to Lagos residents that led to the death of some seven persons.

Our correspondent learnt that people were trampled to death as a mass of people thronged the venue of the sale of the bags of confiscated rice at the Yaba office of the service on Friday amid the harsh economic conditions in the country.

PUNCH Metro reports that a member of the All Progressives Congress, Comfort Adebanjo, and six others lost their lives in the bid to purchase the rice which sold for N10,000 at the Yaba Customs office.

The coordinator of FKL Ward E1, Lagos State of the APC, Oluwafemi Fadahunsi, and Secretary, Adebari Adewale, confirmed that Adebanjo was one of the seven persons who died during the stampede.

In the obituary released on Saturday obtained by PUNCH Online, the party wrote, “It is with heavy hearts and regret we announce the painful death of one of our members in FKL Ward E1, Mrs Adebanjo Comfort Funmilayo, of house number 104, Ibidun Street by Akinhanmi Street, Ojuelegba.

“She was among the seven victims who died in the course of buying Customs rice at Yaba.

“May God grant all the members of her family and all the residents of Ward E1 the fortitude to bear the irreplaceable loss.”

But the Lagos APC Publicity Secretary, Seye Oladejo, told our correspondent that he could not confirm the report involving the member yet. “I also saw it in the news. I will try and reach out to the local government concerned. I’m not in a position to speak authoritatively about that because I also saw it in the news and I want to hear from our people over there before being categorical about it. Once I get the facts of the incident, I’ll let you know,” Oladejo told PUNCH Metro on Sunday.

Speaking with our correspondent on Sunday, the spokesperson for the Customs, Abdullahi Maiwada, blamed the development on impatience on the part of the people who came for the event.

At a point, they decided to be impatient. When we saw the crowd, we even suspended the collection of forms and said, ‘Let’s give them free’. We did that, we exhausted everything. After exhausting everything and we told them everything had finished, and that they could go, that we didn’t have any more, they persisted. Some of them broke the fence of that place. We had to put some barricades to cover the area. Some of them went and entered the container. At a point, we used our ambulance, and took them to hospital,” he said.

He added, “I don’t really have the statistics of the lives we have lost, but we made every effort for everyone to be orderly and to rescue them. We took them to hospital. What do you want us to do?”

He said the Customs made use of Yaba because it had formerly demolished the place, saying, “The reason we used Yaba was because we didn’t want to endanger our facilities.”

When asked if the deaths resulted from pushing, he answered, “I can’t say. Some of them went and entered the engine container. Did we cause the death of anybody? We didn’t. We made efforts to rescue them because we took them to hospital. We have learnt our lessons. We have to go and restrategise on how we’re going to continue and sustain this initiative.”

It is very unfortunate, it is something that we wished did not happen and we are very pathetic about it. We are with them in this trying situation,” he told the victims’ families.

He said further, “I can neither confirm nor deny the number (of deaths). I don’t have that data now, but that people are saying seven. It’s not true, it’s not up to that number but even if it’s one, yes, it’s life. But these are the circumstances that led to what happened, they were avoidable.”

Last week, a protest broke out in Ibadan, Oyo State capital, against economic hardship. In Lagos, Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu rolled out measures to cushion the suffering being faced by people including announcing three days of work at the office for civil servants. The government also plans to set up feeding centres.

https://punchng.com/customs-didnt-cause-rice-buyers-deaths-at-lagos-office-spokesperson/

4 Likes

Re: Customs Didn’t Cause Rice Buyers’ Deaths At Lagos Office – Spokesperson by immortalcrown(m): 8:50am On Feb 26
May the souls of those who died in the event rest in peace.

So, an APC member died in the stampede? I am not mocking the dead. I sincerely wish all the dead a peaceful rest. I just want people to know that when you plant evil thinking it will favour you against those you hate, the evil will not change its nature towards you.

treesun:
“At a point, they decided to be impatient. When we saw the crowd, we even suspended the collection of forms and said, ‘Let’s give them free’. We did that, we exhausted everything. After exhausting everything and we told them everything had finished, and that they could go, that we didn’t have any more, they persisted. Some of them broke the fence of that place. We had to put some barricades to cover the area. Some of them went and entered the container.

Custom officers are Nigerians. Those who went for the cheap Rice are Nigerians. Most Nigerians are liars. I find neither the Custom nor the stampeders totally innocent in this case.

On the side of the stampeders, I pointed out earlier that impatience was likely the cause of the stampede. Let those who went for the Rice and witnessed the stampede counter the statement from the Custom unit.

On the other hand, when will the Custom disclose the quantity of Rice confiscated and the quantity of the same Rice made available for the sale that resulted in the stampede?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Didn’t Cause Rice Buyers’ Deaths At Lagos Office – Spokesperson by LeeSantos(m): 8:56am On Feb 26
Do you know !
Nigerians has never for once in their life enjoyed a good standard of living. 64 years and still counting. That’s if it still continue counting.

Well RIP to those who died. They died for one of the cheapest and affordable staple food in the world except Nigeria.
They had the taste of their own medicine

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Didn’t Cause Rice Buyers’ Deaths At Lagos Office – Spokesperson by Macphenson: 8:57am On Feb 26
Elections have consequences. That APC woman that died in the stampede now understands better.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Customs Didn’t Cause Rice Buyers’ Deaths At Lagos Office – Spokesperson by jmoore(m): 9:04am On Feb 26
According to benuejosh, those that died because of 25kg rice are APC martyrs. They died because of Tinubulation and should be declared saints.

APC supporters like benuejosh are happy that people are dying because of hunger.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Customs Didn’t Cause Rice Buyers’ Deaths At Lagos Office – Spokesperson by RoxyBrownAutos: 9:18am On Feb 26
This is the beginning of sorrow for Nigerians for supporting continuous inefficiency in the ruling APC. It was hunger induced death.

3 Likes

Re: Customs Didn’t Cause Rice Buyers’ Deaths At Lagos Office – Spokesperson by magoo10(m): 9:29am On Feb 26
hunger caused by the APC government did.

6 Likes

Re: Customs Didn’t Cause Rice Buyers’ Deaths At Lagos Office – Spokesperson by Ibaaboy(m): 9:43am On Feb 26
super story
Re: Customs Didn’t Cause Rice Buyers’ Deaths At Lagos Office – Spokesperson by Ibaaboy(m): 9:45am On Feb 26
super story

APC and lies na 5&6

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Customs Didn’t Cause Rice Buyers’ Deaths At Lagos Office – Spokesperson by richiemcgold: 9:52am On Feb 26
There's hunger in the country; that's true. But I won't say hunger was the major cause of this unfortunate incident, Nigerians naturally like anything awoof. Even when hunger in the country was not at this high level, people still die of stampede when struggling for free food. Don't be surprised that some of those victims were not extremely hungry but extremely greedy.

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Customs Didn’t Cause Rice Buyers’ Deaths At Lagos Office – Spokesperson by CraigslistAD: 9:56am On Feb 26
Of course hunger did!

1 Like

Re: Customs Didn’t Cause Rice Buyers’ Deaths At Lagos Office – Spokesperson by Lomprico2: 9:56am On Feb 26
Burrr children of the corn are saying no one died. So why is customs denying the stampede deaths?

1 Like

Re: Customs Didn’t Cause Rice Buyers’ Deaths At Lagos Office – Spokesperson by Anguldi(m): 9:56am On Feb 26
Anarchy and Rebellion will start in Lagos undecided
Mark this

Ronu down

Dem leave sorrows blood and tears
Dem regular trademark -fela kuti

2 Likes

Re: Customs Didn’t Cause Rice Buyers’ Deaths At Lagos Office – Spokesperson by AFvckingAlpha(m): 9:57am On Feb 26
Tinubu's bad omen

I said what I said

1 Like

Re: Customs Didn’t Cause Rice Buyers’ Deaths At Lagos Office – Spokesperson by DaTruths: 9:57am On Feb 26
APC wanted to sell the rice among themselves.

It was even their fellow APC members that died.

The people that wants to teach others lesson have learnt a lesson in the hard way.

Tinubu raise am please, nature is cleansing urtinchs from the land, so that saner people can be voting saner candidates.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Didn’t Cause Rice Buyers’ Deaths At Lagos Office – Spokesperson by thesicilian: 9:57am On Feb 26
It was a poorly organised event so at least they should accept most of the blame and apologise.

1 Like

Re: Customs Didn’t Cause Rice Buyers’ Deaths At Lagos Office – Spokesperson by dangoteinlaw: 9:58am On Feb 26
I presume that Peter Obi did.
Re: Customs Didn’t Cause Rice Buyers’ Deaths At Lagos Office – Spokesperson by Goodlady(f): 9:58am On Feb 26
The way those that were trying to get rice died just showed how uncoordinated Nigeria is in all sectors. Ordinary sharing of rice, 7 people died. And it could be more!
Now, when a sane country is to share food, you know you v huge no of genuinely hungry people and osho-free people coming.
Let there be enough sane security personnel that ll conduct orderliness.
Not security officers that ll be doing unnecessary familiarity with those that want to collect rice or to be asking them for bribes or tips. Make it mandatory to be on queue with armies guiding them. Normally, civilians fear soldiers.
But alas, only God knows how oriburukuly they organized the sharing, queue etc till it resulted in stampede. Maybe the area sef come choke sotey it wasn't spacious. Maybe area boys were around too lurking for harassment.
The Koko is Nigeria is a time bomb ticking. One of the first policies of govt is to start birth control!
Penalise who dey born pass 2 kids!

4 Likes

Re: Customs Didn’t Cause Rice Buyers’ Deaths At Lagos Office – Spokesperson by FutureFocus: 9:58am On Feb 26
Why can’t government just open borders for inflow of rice and vegetable oil to crash the market price

Rice is still 28,000 across the border, just allow the rice in for few weeks, while ensure it’s going directly into the markets and not warehouses, you can lock any warehouse that try to store it , crash the price by making it duty free, you can’t be collecting import duty on rice for now due to the present price that is about to cause protest

2 Likes

Re: Customs Didn’t Cause Rice Buyers’ Deaths At Lagos Office – Spokesperson by Honestey: 9:59am On Feb 26
Correct it's ot custom that cause the death, it's hunger
Re: Customs Didn’t Cause Rice Buyers’ Deaths At Lagos Office – Spokesperson by thesicilian: 10:00am On Feb 26
dangoteinlaw:
I presume that Peter Obi did.
No one cares about that failure so stop trying to bring him into every conversation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Customs Didn’t Cause Rice Buyers’ Deaths At Lagos Office – Spokesperson by AllahOfBlood: 10:00am On Feb 26
wink

That APC woman in her tone last year
We will teach Obi a lesson

Now the result from the lesson don kill mama

Things like this go make Angels rejoice in heaven

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Customs Didn’t Cause Rice Buyers’ Deaths At Lagos Office – Spokesperson by chuksjuve(m): 10:00am On Feb 26
It was an avoidable death if the leadership had done the right thing.

Rip to the dead ...
Re: Customs Didn’t Cause Rice Buyers’ Deaths At Lagos Office – Spokesperson by FromZeroToHero(m): 10:00am On Feb 26
They are currently teaching Peter Obi some bitter lessons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phno6w9M8N4&feature=shared

1 Like

Re: Customs Didn’t Cause Rice Buyers’ Deaths At Lagos Office – Spokesperson by Treadway: 10:00am On Feb 26
Hopelessness even onto the face of death....smh

Free bread with came/whips, discounted/free rice with death. Just all round anyhowness..

Carry on!
Re: Customs Didn’t Cause Rice Buyers’ Deaths At Lagos Office – Spokesperson by Abbeyme: 10:00am On Feb 26
Rip, woman
Re: Customs Didn’t Cause Rice Buyers’ Deaths At Lagos Office – Spokesperson by Streetdoctor: 10:01am On Feb 26
Macphenson:
Elections have consequences. That APC woman that died in the stampede now understands better.
She died while standing on d rotten manhood

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Didn’t Cause Rice Buyers’ Deaths At Lagos Office – Spokesperson by inoki247: 10:02am On Feb 26
For Job Stampede.. For Church Stampede, For food Stampede shey we no fit coordinate ourselves in this part of the world ni.,...

1 Like

Re: Customs Didn’t Cause Rice Buyers’ Deaths At Lagos Office – Spokesperson by TOPCRUISE(m): 10:02am On Feb 26
APC caused it. It is possible that they try to hijack the distribution all in a bid to ensure Tinubu presidency favour only them and their family. If the distribution was fair APC members would not have died. And they won't be telling people to fill forms as a requirement to get rice

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Didn’t Cause Rice Buyers’ Deaths At Lagos Office – Spokesperson by dangoteinlaw: 10:02am On Feb 26
thesicilian:

No one cares about that failure so stop trying to bring him into every conversation.
So, I suppose Tinubu is what you consider as success...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Didn’t Cause Rice Buyers’ Deaths At Lagos Office – Spokesperson by condralbedez: 10:02am On Feb 26
Hunger Did, APC SUPPORTER FOR THAT MATTER, MAYBE ONE OF THE DARLING DADDY'S CREW ON NL,

POSTERITY WILL JUDGE EVERY PERSON THAT SUPPORTS THIS EVIL ADMINISTRATION, VULTUREBBQGRILLS HOPE YOU ARE ENJOYING THE REGIME

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Niger Government Plans Partnership With China On Railway Network / Attention!!!!!!!!!!!Any Correlation Btw The Hate For Jonathan And That For Igbos / Buhari Is A Useless Nonentity Kunu Drinker And The Worst President In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.