Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,985 members, 7,814,356 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:35 AM

5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos) - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / 5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos) (27344 Views)

Oluwo Of Iwo & Femi Osibona At Building Weeks Before Collapse (Photos) / Victims Killed In Lagos Building Collapse (Photos) / Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos) by NaijaCover(m): 7:46pm On Feb 27
Five Persons have been reported dead in the building collapse at the Oduigbo section of Ochanja Market in Onitsha South Local Government Area.

Following Channels Television’s report on Tuesday, the Governor of Anambra State, Professor Chukwuma Soludo, visited the scene of the incident where he condoled with the victims of the mishap.

Our correspondent gathered that three of the five buildings under construction at the market collapsed on Monday evening, trapping several people under the rubble.

So far, twenty-six people have been rescued with five fatalities reported.

While addressing the crowd, Governor Soludo recalled that he had instructed that no shop should be erected in any market in the state without the approval of the Physical Planning Board, and his signature.

Governor Soludo who was visibly emotional, condoled with the victims and their families and promised to assist those affected by the disaster.

He stressed that such an incident is part of the impunity his government is working hard to nip in the bud, cautioning developers against building without an approved plan.

The Governor also pointed out that due to the rascality of the contractor for building without a plan, after the search and rescue efforts, the contractor will be made to remove all the rubbles at his own cost, in addition to facing the full wrath of the law.

He also pledged to work with relevant authorities to ensure that such an unfortunate incident never repeated itself, adding that his administration will take inventory of all the markets in the state while warning that similar ongoing illegal structures in Ose, Ogbo-Ogwu, among others, will be demolished.

Efforts are ongoing to rescue those still trapped under the rubble, hours after the incident. Emergency responders are digging the rubbles to extricate survivors, and recover remains from the collapsed building.

Some survivors were rushed to nearby hospitals for emergency medical attention.

The incident has since sparked public outrage in the area, with people expressing concerns over the safety of buildings in the city.

While reacting, many called for an investigation into the structural integrity of buildings in the city, and for more stringent safety regulations to be put in place.

The governor acknowledged the concerns raised by members of the public and promised to set up a committee to fully investigate the incident, assuring residents that the government would take necessary steps to ensure that buildings in the city are safe for habitation.

He called on the public to remain calm and support the ongoing rescue efforts, praising the efforts of emergency responders who risked their lives to save others and urged them to continue the good work.

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.channelstv.com/2024/02/27/five-dead-26-rescued-in-onitsha-market-building-collapse/amp/

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos) by NaijaCover(m): 7:47pm On Feb 27
Reporting From OCHANJA MARKET ONITSHA
Re: 5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos) by NaijaCover(m): 7:51pm On Feb 27
See More Photos Below:

Re: 5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos) by Oxb90: 7:51pm On Feb 27
Oh, sorrow embarassed

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos) by NaijaCover(m): 7:52pm On Feb 27
Nlfpmod, This Happened In OCHANJA MARKET
Re: 5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos) by Malroux: 7:53pm On Feb 27
What a terrible news. Rip to the departed.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos) by mightyhazel: 8:24pm On Feb 27
Too bad

Eternal rest to the departed,..and to the injured,I wish them speedy recovery

1 Like

Re: 5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos) by emeejinsm: 8:24pm On Feb 27
Cutting corners to build
RIP to the dead

11 Likes

Re: 5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos) by callmevirus(m): 8:24pm On Feb 27
Nothing concern me but E dey mind

Rip to those who died in this tragedy

1 Like

Re: 5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos) by EmmaLege: 8:24pm On Feb 27
💔
Re: 5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos) by GanagiBitrus: 8:24pm On Feb 27
Until you lose a loved one, you will never know or appreciate what it feels like to lose one.

May God comfort the bereaved.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos) by inoki247: 8:24pm On Feb 27
Rip to the dead.....

If material too cost mk people abandon building anything for now if dem wan live long...

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos) by BodyCount: 8:24pm On Feb 27
cry
Re: 5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos) by phemmie06(m): 8:25pm On Feb 27
God please, people left home for their daily bread but met with what snatched their lives away

1 Like

Re: 5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos) by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 8:25pm On Feb 27
angry

I know some idiots will still blame Peter Obi.

4 Likes

Re: 5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos) by AllahOfBlood: 8:25pm On Feb 27
angry

This is what happens when you are building with inferior materials.

State governments should set up special committees and special taskforces to go around cities and every construction site to check building construction and materials.

5 Likes

Re: 5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos) by RockHard: 8:26pm On Feb 27
Elections have consequences. I wonder who they voted for. Some curses against INEC sef dey bounce back to sender sharperly.

40 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos) by NaijaCover(m): 8:26pm On Feb 27
Malroux:
What a terrible news. Rip to the departed.

N.C Is Always Available To Bring Terrible News
Re: 5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos) by stano2(m): 8:26pm On Feb 27
Kaaiii
Rip to souls departed

1 Like

Re: 5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos) by BayLord01(m): 8:26pm On Feb 27
Re: 5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos) by Slytiger: 8:26pm On Feb 27
May they rest in peace.

MyVILLAGEpeople:
angry

But I am shocked he hasn't tweeted about this and it's almost 24 hours.

If this happened elsewhere, he would have tweeted in about the event in minutes.

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos) by Golan007: 8:27pm On Feb 27
May their souls rest in peace 🙏🏾.
Re: 5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos) by Godsonkemz(m): 8:27pm On Feb 27
Onitsha landlords don't care about safety of their occupants.
A month ago when I visited the market, it amazed me how trader went about their businesses in a poorly constructed and incomplete structure. I noticed so many faults when I walked inside of the market and the continuous vibration coming from road construction.
I'm not surprised because in Onitsha we are only concerned about business even at the detriment of human safety.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos) by RevenuesBoost(f): 8:27pm On Feb 27
This is sad!

RIP to the departed souls
Re: 5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos) by seunlayi(m): 8:27pm On Feb 27
When was the house built? Let's blame the govt that was in power when it was built.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos) by Golan007: 8:27pm On Feb 27
MyVILLAGEpeople:
angry

They should blame Emilokan.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos) by mejetov422: 8:28pm On Feb 27
Rip to the dead

And quick recovery to those that are injured.

1 Like

Re: 5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos) by Gboom: 8:28pm On Feb 27
Commiseration to their families

1 Like

Re: 5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos) by Kingrshd3: 8:28pm On Feb 27
Rip to obi and his people ..

Ndewooo 😢😭

3 Likes

Re: 5 Dead, 26 Rescued In Ochanja, Onitsha Market Building Collapse (Photos) by sonnie10: 8:28pm On Feb 27
RockHard:
Elections have consequences. I wonder who they voted for.
Like play, like play, you enter market.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please Help Criticze This Building Plan. / Building A Block Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu. / Prices of Quality Aluminum Roofing Sheets, Get it Cheaper, Call 0813 834 26 42

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.