Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,176 members, 7,811,434 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:32 AM

Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? (21401 Views)

THREAD For Foodstuffs Retailers, RESTAURANT OWNERS, Food Bloggers Only / Inflation: What Is Happening Pls? / Happening In Owerri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Tempoaz: 8:07pm On Feb 29
We Nigerians generally are more of a problem to our fellow people.we only care about ourselves.i have seen people taking advantage of this situation to deprive common people.

1 Like

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by HopeAlive16(f): 8:08pm On Feb 29
Some are worse than the Govt. they condemn. A lot of Nigerians take advantage of everything and it's just sad. May God have mercy on the poor masses.

1 Like

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Omoluabi16(m): 8:08pm On Feb 29
Now will be a very good time to penetrate the market for some of these commodities with unreasonable producers. Just a shame SON and NAFDAC no go let person breath.

1 Like

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by predictor1: 8:10pm On Feb 29
Lalami3232:
Nigeria is the only country wey be say prices of things dey go up but can never come down. That's why we're all scared of increase in prices. The thing be say Nigerians are wicked by default and are full-time hypocrites. We deserve the kind of leaders wey we dey get. No matter how the economy good reach, the already increased prices of goods won't come down. An evil country with evil leaders and evil citizens. I get so angry discussing the situation of this country. What do I even know sef aside enlightening my fellow men nationwide.

Oga if you no meet your wife as a virgin, oga go for DNA test oooooo because boreholes aka non-virgins can't be trusted
Even if you meet her a virgin, still do DNA. How are you sure she no gree for another man after she don taste the sweetness of sex. E get one pastor for Lagos wey dey always boast for inside church sey he married his wife as a virgin. Im no know say after marriage im close friend don dey bang his wife. People wey know no fit tell am. He's late now with the wrong belief. You still dey trust woman after all you don hear.

1 Like

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by achorladey: 8:10pm On Feb 29
Rickmann:
On my way from work this evening, I stopped at a shop few blocks from my building to buy noodles so I could make something real quick on getting home. I asked for the smallest pack and was told 400 naira. I asked the lady to repeat what she said cos e be like say ear dey pain me and she said again "bros na 400 o" , Omo I just weak.

Looking at the current situation in the country, Will things ever get better?

There are three set of people during turbulent times...

The fighters
The victims
The riders. The wave to join the riders is on the high side grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by okewumi: 8:11pm On Feb 29
Yes.

My friend that works in a company *** said uses local materials for produ. their MD told them to increase the price since everyone is doing that.

2 Likes

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by BouquiLake: 8:12pm On Feb 29
I once made a decision to be patronising those neibourhood shops to help them instead of patronising already well established supermarkets....I now realise that i was wrong. The way they hike prices with "O ti won ni". Thank God i have so many supermarkets around my place with new ones coming up.
When you have Foodco, Ace, Justrite and others, you know you have options...What is cheap in one will be dare in another.

Just take a day for "Window Shopping" to get your prices right. cool shocked shocked shocked

Rickmann:
On my way from work this evening, I stopped at a shop few blocks from my building to buy noodles so I could make something real quick on getting home. I asked for the smallest pack and was told 400 naira. I asked the lady to repeat what she said cos e be like say ear dey pain me and she said again "bros na 400 o" , Omo I just weak.

2 Likes

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by HellVictorinho6(m): 8:13pm On Feb 29
Ulogwe1:
Yes, the thing is not as bad as we think.

Imagine, my wife went to the market today. About to buy GOLDEN MORN, the first retailer told her the role is 1800 naira but she was wise enough to go the next retailer shop and lo and behold the second retailer sold it 1,600 naira.

You can see they are hiking price of commodities all in the name of dollars and the Government.

AT A TIME LIKE THIS, WE ARE THR ENEMY OF OURSELVES.

The government has no excuse

Not even the 200 naira difference

They know the right thing to do.
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by ufuosman(m): 8:13pm On Feb 29
BItt:

We Nigerians are our own problems and not even the government
๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by ufuosman(m): 8:14pm On Feb 29
Govt 30% masses 70
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by GENES11S: 8:14pm On Feb 29
Blacklion3:
There is a need to build a price regulatory body at the local level. The deliberate hike in price of commodity is coming directly from those men in the villages and markets selling farm products.

The people are the problem and not entirely the government
See this thread below
https://www.nairaland.com/7994221/major-reason-why-food-other#128344421

And task force put in place to checkmate prices.
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by DenreleDave(m): 8:16pm On Feb 29
Op.

I want creating this topic today.. I forgot and u did it sha
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by MichealOlajide: 8:17pm On Feb 29
Yes this woman in my street has dangote sugar she bought ever since last year.. now she will keep inflating the price and blame dollar even if she didn't buy the sugar at present price.

Dangote sugar I usually buy 100 naira is now 600๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™‚๏ธ

1 Like

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by adecz: 8:18pm On Feb 29
Rickmann:

Things can never get better under
APC, because truth be told, all they know
is politics, criminality and telling lies, they
absolutely have no ideas on governanceโ—๏ธโ—๏ธ

Imagine that both of their presidents are
of questionable educational qualifications.

There is even no records of Tinubu's primary
or secondary schools. The man simply
just appeared on the scene as "graduate".๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

1 Like

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by edogu(m): 8:18pm On Feb 29
I think so. I bought an egg for 150 naira from a retail shop few days ago. Yesterday, I decided to go for a crate of egg for 3500. When you multiply 150 by 30 that should give you 4500. That means I'm saving N1000 by buying in crates.

1 Like

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by McGeorge1(m): 8:22pm On Feb 29
This one is not a question na. Everybody is taking advantage of the dollar hike these days. Unionism is even making it worse.

1 Like

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Father4all: 8:24pm On Feb 29
Me I bought broken ones with knnor maagi oo. Very cheap. Paint rubber 2800 grin
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Adakintroy: 8:24pm On Feb 29
Make food price go up. He deserve am. Them no respect farmers enough/ na dirty job. Everyone wan be skit makers. Content creator with lousy content and software developers.

If na iphone come out today everyone go wan scramble even though the one weh come out last yr them never exhausted it's utility. Them go wait for assembly line to get.

Many people go enter farming otherwise hunger weh go beat people in the coming years. Everyone keep insulting traditional jobs in favour of modern once. We go hear am hot if I hear pim!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by jojothaiv(m): 8:24pm On Feb 29
BItt:

We are not serious as a group of people.

1 Like

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Ulogwe1: 8:25pm On Feb 29
HellVictorinho6:

The government has no excuse

Not even the 200 naira difference

They know the right thing to do.

The have right to do it even when the price has not gotten to that point?

1 Like

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Omenlon: 8:26pm On Feb 29
Funny enough, it is not only goods we hike their prices, including services. I called my plumber few day ago to do a job for me after the job I asked him how much, he told 5k I asked what did he buy that I should pay him such money, he said oga dollar don go up. I told him me wen I wan pay you I never see dollar before so how dollars take affect you, take your 2.5k and go.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by HellVictorinho6(m): 8:29pm On Feb 29
Ulogwe1:

The have right to do it even when the price has not gotten to that point?

The govment showed a bad example
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by HellVictorinho6(m): 8:31pm On Feb 29
Omenlon:
Funny enough, it is not only goods we hike their prices, including services. I called my plumber few day ago to do a job for me after the job I asked him how much, he told 5k I asked what did he buy that I should pay him such money, he said oga dollar don go up. I told him me wen I wan pay you I never see dollar before so how dollars take affect you, take your 2.5k and go.

Many teachers are still suffering

Hike service kor
Hike service ni

1 Like

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Crowdboom(m): 8:32pm On Feb 29
Rickmann:

They are one of the major problems.
There is toiletries soap delta soap, the roll of it was solf #550 in open market and it was selling#100 per one on the street by retailer which mean the retailer would be having #700 profits on a roll.

Some of goods selling by retailes are not really cost like that if you buy it in open market or at wholesale price.

2 Likes

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by paul100(m): 8:32pm On Feb 29
Emu4life:
Contrary to popular belief, things especially food are actually cheaper in SuperMarkets (Retail Stores) than traditional open Market traders.
This is so true.I went to a woman shop to buy golden penny noodles 70g,she told me it is 200.I enter everyday supermarket close to me and buy plenty of it for 140 each

2 Likes

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by olureignforever: 8:34pm On Feb 29
Rickmann:

Masses at the end of the day will boycott some products. Demand will be low which will affect supply and sales. Let's see who's at loss.

4 Likes

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Omenlon: 8:36pm On Feb 29
adecz:

Things can never get better under
APC, because truth be told, all they know
is politics, criminality and telling lies, they
absolutely have no ideas on governanceโ—๏ธโ—๏ธ

Imagine that both of their presidents are
of questionable educational qualifications.

There is even no records of Tinubu's primary
or secondary schools. The man simply
just appeared on the scene as "graduate".๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
I hope your genuine certificates is really putting food on your table now, if not it is useless. Wake up, politics is over face your life. Everybody don move on.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by ivolt: 8:36pm On Feb 29
Offpoint1:
They are. Once they heard price of dollar has increased, these folks will automatically increase the prices of items. I keep wondering if Naira is Nigeria currency or dollar.

The one I can't fathom till date is garri. No part of garri processing involves dollar, but the price keeps skyrocketing.

When I entered Lagos 2018, a paint rubber of garri was sold N400. How it becomes N2500 today I don't understand.
How about transport and cost of living of the garri producer?
Stop sidestepping the main issue.
Fuel price was increased 3 times and you expect price of goods to remain the same.
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by ivolt: 8:38pm On Feb 29
Emu4life:
Contrary to popular belief, things especially food are actually cheaper in SuperMarkets (Retail Stores) than traditional open Market traders.
Maybe a popular belief in Nigeria.
Elsewhere chainstores are known to offer cheaper foods.
That is how Walmart killed off most small scale grocery stores with low prices.

2 Likes

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Zeebuy: 8:39pm On Feb 29
westlius:
People just hike price without consideration of the masses
BItt:

It's the stupid policies of your useless government that led to this, so blame them and not the masses. Sellers will sell based on how much they bought. A carton of super pack noodles is now 19,000naira. It was less than 5k when tinubu took over. You still expect them to sell at the old price?
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by ivolt: 8:42pm On Feb 29
Ulogwe1:
Yes, the thing is not as bad as we think.

Imagine, my wife went to the market today. About to buy GOLDEN MORN, the first retailer told her the role is 1800 naira but she was wise enough to go the next retailer shop and lo and behold the second retailer sold it 1,600 naira.

You can see they are hiking price of commodities all in the name of dollars and the Government.

AT A TIME LIKE THIS, WE ARE THR ENEMY OF OURSELVES.
The second shop still has old stocks and didn't update the price.
When the owner go for a restock, they would adjust to the new price.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How To Make Soya Beans Cake / Gold Spot, Parle Soda, And Limca: What Happened To Them? / How Do I Make My Fried Rice Look Green?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.