Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,114 members, 7,811,132 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:38 AM

Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? - Food (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? (21396 Views)

THREAD For Foodstuffs Retailers, RESTAURANT OWNERS, Food Bloggers Only / Inflation: What Is Happening Pls? / Happening In Owerri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Ken4Christ: 10:23pm On Feb 29
Rahkman:
You know how much be carton of indomie ? Na 18000 u want make dem sell am 250 naira for you ode

Really? You mean for the smallest pack?
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by folake4u(f): 10:27pm On Feb 29
Rickmann:

And these are the same people who are very quick in pointing fingers at the government. It's really sad.

I know right.

I was shocked when someone told me one pack of cheeseball as at today is N250. Like how??!!! Something of N50 naira before.

1 Like

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by ivolt: 10:35pm On Feb 29
Ulogwe1:

But are you aware, some persons with old stocks just hike their price to the current price.
Yes, that is what many shops do.

1 Like

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Busu001: 10:40pm On Feb 29
To God who made me they are deliberately hiking commodity prices just to inflict more hardship on the innocent citizens. Igbo people are the mastermind. They don't want anything good for any government that is not one of them.
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by okeke6969: 10:41pm On Feb 29
RepoMan007:
That's what happens when a trade is oversaturated. Instead of 100 mega stores selling groceries, 1000 road side stalls are, and everyone wants to make enough to cover their needs. They have to hike prices of goods they sell.
The reasonable thing will be for some of the hands doing retailing to move closer to the wholesale and production part of the whole product life cycle.

Instead of risking going into farming and start making reasonable amount of money, they form a union, regulate prices and continue with their lives. The end users suffer the cost.

You hit the nail on the head.
Stores in the street sell almost the same items. Na wa for Nigerian people.
People selling otapiapia also have union. Can you imagine.

1 Like

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Ifyz0001: 10:46pm On Feb 29
No, they don't...if they sell at a price thinking they've made profit, when they go to restock ...they have to use their profit plus savings to buy the new product.
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by fortunechy(m): 10:53pm On Feb 29
I keep saying it that Govt isn't our problem in this country. Citizens are the real problem here. Until we change our greed and wicked mindset things will keep getting worst...
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Higherthan: 11:19pm On Feb 29
slaawomirr:
Damnnn niggar

Though I'm ardent hater of tinubu

But Nigerians are wicked and wants to take advantage of every situations to enrich themselves

And do you know another funny thing

We Nigerians are actually not angry about corruption we are just pretending to be angry because we are not the ones carrying out the corruption
Should I add more? We Nigerians are not angry about the way our government is treating us we are just pretending to be angry because it is not our tribesmen or religion persona in power

That is to say or if we sum it up Nigerians are hypocrites, tribalistic, wicked and fake

God bless you for this words, you spoke nothing but the Truth

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by largeman4u(m): 11:31pm On Feb 29
I bought a 5 litre of kings Oil 4k cheaper at Bokku mart like 2 days ago. I don’t know why some store want to sell theirs 4k higher.

1 Like

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Anijay1212(m): 11:36pm On Feb 29
This is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
angry sad angry
slaawomirr:
Damnnn niggar

But Nigerians are wicked and wants to take advantage of every situations to enrich themselves

We Nigerians are actually not angry about corruption we are just pretending to be angry because we are not the ones carrying out the corruption
Should I add more? We Nigerians are not angry about the way our government is treating us we are just pretending to be angry because it is not our tribesmen or religion persona in power

That is to say or if we sum it up Nigerians are hypocrites, tribalistic, wicked and fake

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Haakeem(m): 11:39pm On Feb 29
Jeje247:
It's not enough to speculate. Have you tried to find out the price at the warehouse or factory?
would you keep qwayet.
They do it intentionally.
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by alfredfrddy(m): 11:47pm On Feb 29
We are demons we cast, bind, and pray against.
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Haakeem(m): 11:53pm On Feb 29
kissval1388:
These are questions you ask when a wicked government is in power...

You are asking this question cause things are rough in the country... No business man or woman will intentionally add money to their goods if they didn't buy it costly...

I'm in to Provision wholesale business...this retailers buy from us and I know how much they retail the goods they buy... Omo the profit is not even much... In a roll of Miksi, they make just #150 ... Baba.. you guys won't understand cus u are not in the system... Blame your government...

That Noodles was previously #130 before this wicked government came in.. Even the noodles you are wailing about, the profit of the retailer is not even up to #900 in a full carton..
Remember she bought nylon to package it, her transport fare to the market and other things involved
Stop yerning shit, some of them intentionally do it, especially the igb0s.
If dollar goes high like this you'll see them in jubilation
Like for example I went to buy N100
groundnut yesterday in the process of paying for it the owner of the shop an igbo man said,
This groundnut plenty o and I asked him, you just buy am?, he said yes, so I said na like this e suppose be if price they go up they should also increase the product quality.
So today I went to buy the same groundnut and I was giving half of what I got yesterday for still N100 omor I vex sha.
In as much I don't support tinubu, if I see any greedy f0.0I blaming him for being a corrupt leader, I go remove the person 32 teeth... I no dey play.

1 Like

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Luckysbab: 11:56pm On Feb 29
Anguldi:
No doubt

Pure water association proposing 100 per one.
Omo, their papa

Same water is still 180-200 Naira per pack in the far north, where they even buy fuel for 700 Naira per litre, compared to some parts of the South west where fuel is 580 Naira per litre.
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Fearurcreeator: 11:57pm On Feb 29
slaawomirr:
Damnnn niggar

Lolzzzz

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by LucemFerre: 12:13am On Mar 01
Finally, someone says it. This thing dey pain me reach bone. Nigerians are very wicked.
If we don't purge our mindset and start to reason like sane human beings this country is going no where. Because na from the people the leaders dey commot from.
For my eye one idiot wan increase shock absorber prize from 40k to 48k haba

1 Like

Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Afamed: 12:42am On Mar 01
That's the bitter truth.At the end of the year, most of the products will definitely expire in their stores.
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by BItt: 1:39am On Mar 01
Melagros:

When I made similar comment to this your own, they almost lynch me here for nairaland
I guess you are still alive
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by pargelenis(m): 4:56am On Mar 01
100% … heartless opportunists.
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by placeofallure(f): 5:09am On Mar 01
People are just seeing the reality I've been talking about since. We are our own enemy. Nigerians are propagandists. We like to trend for the wrong reasons. Many of us are saboteurs. Many people, especially the ones who control this and that, wants this present government to fail. In order to do this, they resolved to sabotage. God is watching everyone on 3D. Some people who have never seen dollar will ascribe to Dollar as the cause of their woes, imagine!
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by sonofsteven: 5:31am On Mar 01
BItt:

We Nigerians are our own problems and not even the government

I don't think so

As a trader or business person, your shop na where your daily expenses are taken from

How you go do business in a year with no profit? Because you don't want to increase price to accommodate expenditures

1.. house rents increases

2.. fuel price or transportation increases

3... foodstuffs increases
Etc

How you go cope, if you still go market,goods increased as a result of

1.. police
2.. road safety
3.. area boys extortion

Especially for those of us buying from trade fare and taking to our markets

Now clearing of goods have increased that's import duties

All these and more will definitely reflect in the goods and you shouldn't blame them the business people because they could fix price easily and live better than those working for people who wouldn't increase their salaries to fit in....

This is to tell most of us that self employment should be on our minds not looking for employment but creating your own job that way everyone can increase or decrease prices
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by libertyfather(m): 5:57am On Mar 01
another problem we are facing jn this country, truly 50 naira has been added to a bag of pure water they make it an advantage for very more profit in respect of the ones theve been making before instead of accepting that 50naira loss, anyway had it been coins is still available could hv sort that easily for them..I see no reason additional 50 naira to a bag will want to make u sell 1 each for 50naira
Hezzyluv:
Yes

I saw plenty of sachet water from a woman close to me, I bought #50 own she gave me 2sachets only for me to come back the following day, wanted to buy same water I bought yesterday, she gave me 1sachet for #50. shocked shocked

I said madam, wetin happen? She said pure water don add money! for the same water wey you buy plenty yesterday wey never nearly finish

I just collected it and leave. Told myself instead of me to buy sachet water 50 naira for one, I'd rather buy bottle water.

And almost everyone in my area sells 2 for #50. When she realized that people no longer go to buy from her shop again, she has to adjust to normal price. She saw me yesterday and told me, my pikin water na 2 for #50 now grin
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by imagrg(m): 6:29am On Mar 01
Except we change our orientation including our selfish, greedy and wicked mentality, Nigeria may remain what it is globally recognised for.

In summary, Nigerians are self-centred, greedy and wicked.
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by pacespot(m): 6:35am On Mar 01
Rickmann:
On my way from work this evening, I stopped at a shop few blocks from my building to buy noodles so I could make something real quick on getting home. I asked for the smallest pack and was told 400 naira. I asked the lady to repeat what she said cos e be like say ear dey pain me and she said again "bros na 400 o" , Omo I just weak.

Looking at the current situation in the country, Will things ever get better?

Stop eating Indomie, it is poisonous to your body.

Everybody will go to farm last last
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by gideonvalor98(m): 6:39am On Mar 01
That's more reason we need state policing. All these unpatriotic people that are only in business to inflict pains on their fellow. NO GOING BACK ON PRICE CONTROL. imagine someone inflating prices of more than 300% on goods in your stock already there and you have them in large quantity? That's real madness!
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by TheFinesseKid: 6:45am On Mar 01
Anguldi:
No doubt

Pure water association proposing 100 per one.
Omo, their papa
na Una wey dey buy am cause am. Even soft drinks. Lmao. If na only me dey this country there two won't fly. Alcoholic drinks too. Dem go drink them thing.
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Anguldi(m): 6:51am On Mar 01
TheFinesseKid:
na Una wey dey buy am cause am. Even soft drinks. Lmao. If na only me dey this country there two won't fly. Alcoholic drinks too. Dem go drink them thing.

How we wan do cheesy
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Diligence: 7:14am On Mar 01
Blame the fluctuations....
Some retailers restock monthly.
Imagine someone that restocked 1st week in February, you expect them to immediately reduce their prices.

Price adjustment is effective when the last restock finishes ON THE CONDITION that the inflation is stable, but again is INFLATION really stable. So many factors are at play. Don't just focus on the importers, wholesalers or even the retailers!
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Emyogalanya: 7:18am On Mar 01
BItt:

We Nigerians are our own problems and not even the government
Stories you guys are just not Honest we all are guilty we only raise Alarm when we buy but when we sell we feel its ok ask the Op if he did not Hike his own price too
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Damzyray: 7:24am On Mar 01
all the greediness you guys are seeing na small I beg come to uyo the capital of akwaibom those people are extremely greedy and wicked I can boldly say it that wickedness runs in every akwaibom person except those one that have the fear of God and those one that have experienced another life outside their state even in the school environment and inside the school they have started selling pure water #50 the rate of greed in uyo and inside Uniuyo is extremely high
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Emyogalanya: 7:31am On Mar 01
hisgrace090:
What you get when cheating runs in the blood of many.
Wage and salary earners are the worst hits by this madness as they can't increase their pay easily unlike traders.
not always true While you are right with salary people, its not always true with business men. Let me explain a business man buys an item for 300 and transports it with 10 and sells at 400 gains 90 and will pay Rent from that same 90
he goes back to buy same goods at 400 the whole gain of 90 is gone o now he transports same goods with 15 due to increase he will sell that same goods at 500 cos of competion so he earns 85 instaed of 90 Pays an increased Rent so how different is he from the Salary earner? There is a lot you guys don't know about business
Re: Are some retailers deliberately hiking prices? Whats happening In Nigeria? by Abagworo(m): 7:45am On Mar 01
Government must deal with profiteering cause they are the ones getting the bad name. There's no reason for noodles to rise from 50 Naira a year ago to 400 cause Dollar has not reached 4000.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Gold Spot, Parle Soda, And Limca: What Happened To Them? / How Do I Make My Fried Rice Look Green? / How Much Would You Have Bought These Plantains In Your Area In Nigeria ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.