Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,284 members, 7,811,837 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:56 PM

Heat Wave: Nigerian Government Issues Fresh Advisory - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Heat Wave: Nigerian Government Issues Fresh Advisory (20280 Views)

Why The Current Heat Wave Is Very Deadly / Public Health Advisory To Nigerians On Coronavirus Disease / Novel Coronavirus: NCDC Issues Public Health Advisory To Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Heat Wave: Nigerian Government Issues Fresh Advisory by HeatSeeker(m): 1:50am On Feb 29
The poor electricity supply being experienced across the country may have worsened the situation for many Nigerians

By Mariam Ileyemi

The Nigerian government has once again issued a new advisory on how to cope with the prevailing heat wave in the country.

The latest advisory by the Federal Ministry of Environment follows an earlier warning by the Nigeria Meteorological Agency (NiMet) which predicted prolonged heat waves across the country, with temperatures reaching 39°C in the South and 41°C in the North.

NiMet had warned that the high heat level can cause dehydration, heat-related illness, and respiratory issues, among other chronic conditions.

According to NiMet, the northern part of the country will expect to experience more heat than the southern region.

The Minister of State for Environment, Ishaq Salako, told PREMIUM TIMES on Wednesday that the advisory is relevant for the season because “according to the NiMET Seasonal Climate Prediction, the heat wave is expected to be prolonged and will be with us for a while despite the rainfall.”

Consequence of heat wave

According to the advisory, exposure to heat waves can pose serious health, social, environmental, and economic risks, adding that infants, children, pregnant women, and the elderly are especially vulnerable to heat stress.

Some of the common symptoms of heat stress are dry lips, excessive thirst, dizziness, nausea, heat rashes, mild fever, confusion, fainting, and high body temperature for longer than two hours.

It added that no urination in more than eight hours or dark urine, rapid heartbeat, and breathing are other symptoms to look out for.

NiMet also noted specifically that dehydration from the heat could cause fainting; Chickenpox disease, Measles, and heat rash.

Preventive measures

The environment ministry advised Nigerians to plan their outdoor activities to avoid unnecessary exposure to the heatwaves and keep an emergency kit at home that contains oral rehydration salt (ORS) packets, a thermometer, towels or clothes to wet for cooling, and a handheld fan with batteries.

The advisory reads in part: “When possible, close the curtains during the hottest parts of the day and open windows at night time to cool down the house.

“Do not go outside during the hottest times of the day if you can avoid it. When outside, wear sunscreen and try to stay in the shade or use hats and umbrellas for protection.

“Drink water at regular intervals before you are thirsty. Wear light and loose-fitting clothing. Reduce physical activity and avoid participating in outdoor sports in the central hours of the day.”

Poor electricity supply worsens the situation

The poor electricity supply being experienced across the country may have worsened the situation for many Nigerians.

Across social media platforms, Nigerians have lamented the epileptic power supply and on many occasions have called out the nation’s Minister of Power, Adebayo Adelabu.

Earlier in February, in Port Harcourt, women protested at the office of the power distribution company, saying their husbands no longer make love with them at night due to excessive heat and poor power supply.

Many also lamented the high cost of fuel which is the consequence of the removal of subsidy on petroleum products by President Bola Tinubu. The high cost of fuel has denied many the opportunity to provide electricity through generating sets.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/672841-heat-wave-again-nigerian-govt-issues-fresh-advisory.html

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Heat Wave: Nigerian Government Issues Fresh Advisory by Chibuzoripob: 1:55am On Feb 29
sad

1 Like

Re: Heat Wave: Nigerian Government Issues Fresh Advisory by MASTERCHIEF0847(m): 2:13am On Feb 29
“According to the NiMET Seasonal Climate Prediction, the heat wave is expected to be prolonged and will be with us for a while despite the rainfall.” ... Na wa o! shocked shocked shocked

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Heat Wave: Nigerian Government Issues Fresh Advisory by saintjimos(m): 4:59am On Feb 29
Are we going back there ?

4 Likes

Re: Heat Wave: Nigerian Government Issues Fresh Advisory by benuejosh: 6:42am On Feb 29
Effect of global warming?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Heat Wave: Nigerian Government Issues Fresh Advisory by dominique(f): 6:42am On Feb 29
Always Drinkwater!

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Heat Wave: Nigerian Government Issues Fresh Advisory by ideatoprince18(m): 6:44am On Feb 29
Dr
Re: Heat Wave: Nigerian Government Issues Fresh Advisory by IgbosCriminals: 6:45am On Feb 29
Omo,
What Nigeria needs is steady electricity oo not advice

133 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Heat Wave: Nigerian Government Issues Fresh Advisory by Bluearrow: 6:45am On Feb 29
dominique:
Always Drinkwater!
Water that has now become very expensive...

19 Likes

Re: Heat Wave: Nigerian Government Issues Fresh Advisory by Kwaramustgoodag: 6:45am On Feb 29
If u can't afford pure water again, always go out with ur 5 litre or ur legs with drinkable water.

7 Likes

Re: Heat Wave: Nigerian Government Issues Fresh Advisory by tunwumi: 6:46am On Feb 29
Ok
Re: Heat Wave: Nigerian Government Issues Fresh Advisory by kaywhy09(m): 6:46am On Feb 29
Ok
Re: Heat Wave: Nigerian Government Issues Fresh Advisory by bewla(m): 6:47am On Feb 29
That's
Re: Heat Wave: Nigerian Government Issues Fresh Advisory by GanagiBitrus: 6:47am On Feb 29
Re: Heat Wave: Nigerian Government Issues Fresh Advisory by Offpoint1: 6:47am On Feb 29
I want to know exactly what's going on with the electricity supply. Where I'm located i used to enjoyed nothing less than 22 hours of electricity supply daily, some weeks we have 24hrs. I don't know what's going on for the past 1 month+, 5 hours of power seems like luxury now... It's very frustrating.
Supply on comes by 12am-4/5am, between this period sef they keep playing the 30mins on and 5 off games... and that's all for the whole day kiss man's tired 😴

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Heat Wave: Nigerian Government Issues Fresh Advisory by jmoore(m): 6:47am On Feb 29
Na AC make sense pass.

Ceiling fan go dey blow and heat go still dey do you.

Few weeks ago I was at the court, the judge told the lawyers to remove their robe and wigs because of the heat. She came with her portable rechargeable fan.

12 Likes

Re: Heat Wave: Nigerian Government Issues Fresh Advisory by michlins(m): 6:48am On Feb 29
Cost of petrol makes it even more difficult to cope.

13 Likes

Re: Heat Wave: Nigerian Government Issues Fresh Advisory by EyeCumInPiece: 6:48am On Feb 29
Always quick to rush & issue advisory on how to endure & adjust to suffering, instead of doing the right thing by providing steady electricity.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Heat Wave: Nigerian Government Issues Fresh Advisory by Osiris12: 6:50am On Feb 29
Bluearrow:

Water that has now become very expensive...
leave am

Dem go just open mouth waa. Like a broken door.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Heat Wave: Nigerian Government Issues Fresh Advisory by Khrownfit: 6:50am On Feb 29
This is the worst minister of power I have ever witnessed in the history of Nigeria, I have never seen our power sector so useless as this embarassed embarassed

8 Likes

Re: Heat Wave: Nigerian Government Issues Fresh Advisory by SenatePresdo(m): 6:51am On Feb 29
High cost of fuel, epileptic power supply.

Federal Government should reserve any advice for themselves.

For over 200 years, Nigeria can't have stable power supply.

Every State that Generates electricity should not transmit it via National grid.

Reserve it for your own State only.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Heat Wave: Nigerian Government Issues Fresh Advisory by Kwaramustgoodag: 6:53am On Feb 29
Offpoint1:
I want to know exactly what's going on with the electricity supply. Where I'm located i used to enjoyed nothing less than 22 hours of electricity supply daily, some weeks we have 24hrs. I don't know what's going on for the past 1 month+, 5 hours of power seems like luxury now... It's very frustrating.
and I don't think they are doing something about it because they don't even give us update about what happened to the light, and if engineers are working tireless on it to make it work.

2 Likes

Re: Heat Wave: Nigerian Government Issues Fresh Advisory by wunmi590(m): 6:54am On Feb 29

It seems head is paining FG, drink water at regular interval, when satchet water is now N50/one, so somebody should use all his or her salary to drink satchet water of about 10k in a day...

We all know North is always hot, due to their closeness to the desert 🏜, no be unah go dey tell us all these, we did geography back then...

What Nigeria need is a lasting solution to the present economy that is currently ravaging the non political elite..

6 Likes

Re: Heat Wave: Nigerian Government Issues Fresh Advisory by Akwamkpuruamu: 6:54am On Feb 29
Can Toke Makinwa, Tinubu Item 7 on COP share with us what she learnt from that summit she went? This is the time to teach us

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Heat Wave: Nigerian Government Issues Fresh Advisory by Artscollection: 6:55am On Feb 29
Naija is literally a frying pan in all ramification.
Re: Heat Wave: Nigerian Government Issues Fresh Advisory by ObalendeCMS: 6:56am On Feb 29
EyeCumInPiece:

Always quick to rush & issue advisory on how to endure & adjust to suffering, instead of doing the right thing by providing steady electricity.

Dead country!

1 Like

Re: Heat Wave: Nigerian Government Issues Fresh Advisory by OredoPikin: 6:57am On Feb 29
Offpoint1:
Supply on comes by 12am-4/5am and that's all for the whole day kiss
U even see 5hours
Ours here is 10mins per day

2 Likes

Re: Heat Wave: Nigerian Government Issues Fresh Advisory by walozanga(m): 6:57am On Feb 29
IgbosCriminals:
Omo,
What Nigeria needs is steady electricity oo not advice

Aki you are right

1 Like

Re: Heat Wave: Nigerian Government Issues Fresh Advisory by Whois(m): 6:57am On Feb 29
Follow who get AC. grin e get why

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

American Doctor Treated For Ebola Released From The Hospital / Fake Malaria Drug In Circulation, FG Raises The Alarm / Man Who Cut Himself Due To Severe Depression, Celebrates His Breakthrough (Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.