Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,110 members, 7,811,126 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:55 AM

FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads (11766 Views)

Lagos, Delta, Ogun lead in domestic debts as at Dec 2023 (See Full List) / Discos Beg Customers As Blackout Worsens On Grid Collapse / FG Owes 79% Of N20tr Domestic Debts, As Lagos Leads States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads by faceland: 9:47am On Mar 01
nairalanda1:

It is not the government owing the debt..solely.

Basically, discos are not allowed to charge a cost reflective tarrif, then they lose money to power theft, people bypassing meters, and people not paying (government inclusive, rich and poor Nigerians).

As a result, the discos don't have enough revenue...and part of that revenue goes to gencos, the other part to the transmission company of nigeria.

This means that at the end, gencos don't raise enough revenue to pay for gas.

To add salit to the wound, the gas company/suppliers, all want their payments in DOLLARS. Have done so for years, despite government attempts to get them on to recieving payment in naira. Add the devaluation of the naira, and dollar scarcity, plus all the above...debt results.

Government is paying the debt for them right now.

Naturally, if discos were allowed to charge cost reflective tarrifs, and everyone stopped treating power as free gift....we may have improvement/

GSM companies built everything from scratch for us, because one cannot use a phone without paying first.

How many solar panels can 140 billion naira buy?... Because they would still be future debt and future blackmail/blackout. Let him subsidized solar panels and solve small users problems once and for all. Even EU would support him if he say na for the environment.
Re: FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads by kuntash: 9:48am On Mar 01
SoNature:
Why does Southern Nigeria have rivers all over the place but we don't build hydropower plants? All the hydropower plants are in the North! Gas is not a renewal energy source and will finish in the future.

Hydro power stations are affected by topography, gradient, which in turn affects the force of the water. you find these features around the northern part of the country, thats where you see fast moving waters , unlike in the south... take River Ethiope for example, as deep as it is and as often high volume it has, you always see the waters very calm, as if its not moving.

Every region has its potential to surving, however, with a leader devoid of any form of ethnocentric or religious chauvinism can take the entire country to its El dorado.

2 Likes

Re: FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads by nairalanda1(m): 9:51am On Mar 01
bobestman:
This man truly no get brain. He is supposed to know that their is no money in this country. To pay those debts cut cost starting from yourself and all politicians. But he will never try it cos he is one of them. Instead more borrowing, more debts, the country and masses suffer why they enjoy. Anyone who wants to fix this country must learn to cut cost begining from the polithiefians. This is why they ganged up against PO. Politicians are the real problem. No matter how the country bleeds it never affect their pay. When una get rense una go leave religion and tribalism and hold them for blokos

The problem has nothing to do with obi or religion or tribalism and everything to do with the power sector not earning enough due to

Tarrifs not being cost reflective
Power theft due to meter bypass, people not paying, illegal connections

At the end, there isn't enough cash for the gas person and the result is the gas person stops supplying gas until they see the money

Result blackout.

1 Like

Re: FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads by SoNature(m): 9:52am On Mar 01
Bonjovi13:

You are correct. Nigerians don't understand that the cause of the electricity challenge we have today is the decades of mismanagement and inefficiency of NEPA coupled with the lack of investment in all segments in the value chain of the electricity supply industry.
The sector has been privatised except for the transmission segment and the investors need to be able to recoup a reasonable rate of return on their investment. Meaning people need to pay their bills and stop stealing electricity. All the monies received from customers goes into a pool that all market participants gets paid from
Stop vandalising power infrastructure too.

Recently the regulator NERC approved the increase of tariff to account for the changes in all the economic indicators. They had to freeze it because of the Federal government but passed the difference to the government via subsidies. The government can't pay that difference. So the entire sector is in jeopardy.

We need a reset.

What the government isn't doing right is creating employment for Nigerians and stiffening laws against power infrastructure vandalism. If people make enough money, paying bills is most likely not going to be a challenge.

I don't see how minimum wage should still be less than 150k at this time. Unfortunately, the worst of us work in public service and they keep stealing without adding value.

If we genuinely want to reset this country, like you said, the government must set a high standard for those who work in the public sector.... executive, judiciary and legislature.

Civil servants come to work in the morning, gist till 4pm and go home. At the end of the month, they expect salaries. If we can reconfigure our public service, the private sector has no problem. The former makes laws for the latter.

Sadly, we can't even reconfigure our public service because nobody actually believes in Nigeria. We run a country of hypocrites that only profess love for country due to what they stand to gain. In conclusion, believe it or not, Nigeria has no business being one country....
Re: FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads by Franking: 9:52am On Mar 01
RockHard:
So FG was also owing debt to gas companies? E be like say na debt incurred by past administrations PBAT go use half of hin first term pay.

Sadly so. But government is a continuum. You inherit both assests and liabilities. No excuses.

1 Like

Re: FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads by zoraro(m): 9:53am On Mar 01
OkutaNla:

No. Government is subsidizing power for Nigerians coz una no go wan pay the real cost of having stable power. Just like it was doing subsidizing fuel, government is also subsidizing power. That subsidy must go for us to enjoy stable electricity.

You don't know what you are talking about.go and check who is really not paying their electricity bills, It is the same Government that is making noise about subsidy payment (the military, the ministries and other Government entities don't pay their electricity bills).
Re: FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads by nairalanda1(m): 9:55am On Mar 01
faceland:

How many solar panels can 140 billion naira buy?... Because they would still be future debt and future blackmail/blackout. Let him subsidized solar panels and solve small users problems once and for all. Even EU would support him if he say na for the environment.

Probably not enough for the whole nation.

Plus solar is not very efficient. Unless one is building a very large solar panel array which would cost far more than 140 billion naira.

Morocco has a solar power station. Cost of the thing? 15 trillion naira. And it supplies 512 mw. Someone can build a gas station supplying 1000 mw much cheaper

2 Likes

Re: FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads by MASTERCHIEF0847(m): 9:55am On Mar 01
foliman:
Truth be told, the giant stride of BAT within the last one week has been so surprising.
Please, what giant strides exactly are you referring to?
Re: FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads by Bluntemperor: 9:55am On Mar 01
SoNature:
Why does Southern Nigeria have rivers all over the place but we don't build hydropower plants? All the hydropower plants are in the North! Gas is not a renewal energy source and will finish in the future.

God bless you my brother,for asking this relevant questions!
Our State Governors are not ready to bail the States away from Darkness and put Nigeria on the path of Industilisation!
They embark on a 4- year project,as more of their activities is not Committed to a long term goal but just do your' little 'and go!
So why not Constructing more Hydro -Dam,like the Chinese- for permanent light up?
Yet they seat on the Multi NBILLIONS, and at the end , Corruption sets in!
Re: FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads by Themanleshey: 9:55am On Mar 01
lexy2014:

what is wrong with subsidizing?

are Tinubu, shettima, governors, akpabio, federal and state legislators paying for their feeding, clothing, accommodation, transportation, medical care, security, internet, phone calls and even for olosho that they carry?

how is subsidy preventing Nigerians from enjoying electricity?

You want to know how ?

Well epileptic power supply is the answer .

Keep enjoying electricity subsidy and manage the number of power you get in a day / week / month.

I think you know how now ?

Have a nice day .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads by lexy2014: 9:56am On Mar 01
Themanleshey:

You want to know how ?

Well epileptic power supply is the answer .

Keep enjoying electricity subsidy and manage the number of power you get in a day / week / month.

I think you know how now ?

Have a nice day .

that is not what I asked you.

1. what is wrong with subsidizing?

2. are Tinubu, shettima, governors, akpabio, federal and state legislators paying for their feeding, clothing, accommodation, transportation, medical care, security, internet, phone calls and even for olosho that they carry?

3. how is subsidy preventing Nigerians from enjoying electricity?
Re: FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads by lexy2014: 9:57am On Mar 01
Sccarrr:
fvck off my mention, sadist

a very clear demonsntration of what I had said earlier. thanks for proving me right
Re: FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads by ivolt: 10:03am On Mar 01
Offpoint1:
I don't understand this gas debt, where does the electricity bills we paid monthly goes to?
You currently pay less than 40% of the actual cost of electricity.

2 Likes

Re: FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads by SoNature(m): 10:03am On Mar 01
kuntash:

Hydro power stations are affected by topography, gradient, which in turn affects the force of the water. you find these features around the northern part of the country, thats where you see fast moving waters , unlike in the south... take River Ethiope for example, as deep as it is and as often high volume it has, you always see the waters very calm, as if its not moving.

Every region has its potential to surving, however, with a leader devoid of any form of ethnocentric or religious chauvinism can take the entire country to its El dorado.

Thank you for the explanation.

However, I believe there's nothing the human brain cannot create if he's committed it to.

If they could create beaches and rivers in arid regions like UAE and Saudi Arabia, why can't we engineer a process that will increase the pressure of the river and give it the push it needs to generate energy?

Unfortunately, the black man doesn't think and the evil ones who occupy sensitive positions won't let those willing to bring about innovativeness to have their way into offices.

1 Like

Re: FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads by TariDisemi300: 10:05am On Mar 01
Lalami3232:
We keep on wasting trillions yearly without seeing the result. A country like Nigeria wey dey blessed with brains, good climate, natural resources etc go still dey suffer wetin small countries like Seychelles, Gabon and co no fit even dey suffer, all because of our poor choice of appointing leaders. Nigerians will boldly vote incompetent people to rule them all because of tribalism, religion etc.
What do I even know sef aside enlightening my fellow men nationwide.

Oga if you no meet your wife as a virgin, oga go for DNA test oooooo because boreholes aka non-virgins can't be trusted
leave brains out of that [list]
Re: FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads by Olaideolayemi(m): 10:06am On Mar 01
All gas debtor should be cleared, after all documents relating to the usage were shown,and more also the genco should give account on how the gas usage is used..Any distribution companies that doesn't ready to pay for the light supply should be taken over by the govt for management..
Re: FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads by faceland: 10:06am On Mar 01
nairalanda1:

Probably not enough for the whole nation.

Plus solar is not very efficient. Unless one is building a very large solar panel array which would cost far more than 140 billion naira.

Morocco has a solar power station. Cost of the thing? 15 trillion naira. And it supplies 512 mw. Someone can build a gas station supplying 1000 mw much cheaper

You don't understand. I am taking of small portable panels to remove 80% of small users from the national grid. Not a mega solar farm. Small panels to individuals.

They would be future gas debts.

Like generator set but for solar. You know the was Elon Musk Starlink internet kit can be placed outside and taken indoors during closing hours?

Even with this $140m paid, government is still owing $1B

1 Like

Re: FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads by faceland: 10:09am On Mar 01
ivolt:

You currently pay less than 40% of the actual cost of electricity.

Unbelievable.

Whatever it is, we can't continue this way.
Re: FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads by Sccarrr: 10:17am On Mar 01
lexy2014:

a very clear demonsntration of what I had said earlier. thanks for proving me right
thanks for proving me right you're clearly sick...last reply u will get frm me. Sadistic Ewu
Re: FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads by poseidon12: 10:18am On Mar 01
Lalami3232:
We keep on wasting trillions yearly without seeing the result. A country like Nigeria wey dey blessed with brains, good climate, natural resources etc go still dey suffer wetin small countries like Seychelles, Gabon and co no fit even dey suffer, all because of our poor choice of appointing leaders. Nigerians will boldly vote incompetent people to rule them all because of tribalism, religion etc.
What do I even know sef aside enlightening my fellow men nationwide.

Oga if you no meet your wife as a virgin, oga go for DNA test oooooo because boreholes aka non-virgins can't be trusted

Nigeria is blessed with good climate and abundant natural resources; but brains? I don't know about that.
If Nigeria is blessed with brains then we should not be electing or selecting barely educated incompetents like Buhari or career criminals like Tinubu to run the affairs of Nigeria. We should be able to provide electricity, water, food, roads and basic health care.
Young Nigerians are hardly found in STEM faculties of top universities around the world. These faculties are dominated by the Chinese and Indian youths.
Re: FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads by poseidon12: 10:20am On Mar 01
Inspirer1:
The Minister of Power really needs to step up, things going from bad to worse under his watch, he should mount pressure on the Presidency if its beyond him

Because the Federal government is controlled by the North.
Re: FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads by greatman247(m): 10:21am On Mar 01
foliman:
Truth be told, the giant stride of BAT within the last one week has been so surprising.

Which giant strides? Na because of protest across different states he decided to take some of those actions. Before he was doing a blame games, saying oppositions sponsored all of those protesters, when he saw that different states springs up across the states including Lagos he had no option than buckle up. There is indeed hunger in the land not sponsored. If to say people sit down and look, him for ignore.
Re: FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads by Versal: 10:22am On Mar 01
These S.O.Bs... cashing out, in broad daylight.
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads by Honestey: 10:25am On Mar 01
Pay to who? I thought Nigeria has abundant of gas deposit
Re: FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads by lexy2014: 10:27am On Mar 01
Sccarrr:
thanks for proving me right you're clearly sick...last reply u will get frm me. Sadistic Ewu

I love you men. folks like you are hard to come by. you make some things come to reality so easily. I really appreciate the way you jumped in to back me up and to demonstrate that "Nigeria is blessed with everything but not brains".
Re: FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads by Tianamen1: 10:30am On Mar 01
nairalanda1:

The problem has nothing to do with obi or religion or tribalism and everything to do with the power sector not earning enough due to

Tarrifs not being cost reflective
Power theft due to meter bypass, people not paying, illegal connections

At the end, there isn't enough cash for the gas person and the result is the gas person stops supplying gas until they see the money

Result blackout.

When Sam Amadi was the NERC boss, he came up with the MYTO plan to gradually raise the price of electricity to make it cost reflective.

However, the value of the Naira kept falling necessitating higher and higher targets to achieve cost reflective tariffs.

This is the main issue. The Naira keeps losing value. Wages have remained stagnant. There has been GDP growth, but wealth inequality has widened.

Raising prices to infinity will not solve any problem. A strategy to stabilize the value of the Naira is necessary.

Such a strategy will include cutting the costs of governance, increasing the government’s revenues, re-establishing an excess crude account (sovereign wealth fund), and spurring the velocity of money to ensure continued growth.

Other issues.
The man who ran for president under SDP is quite intelligent, and has the most understanding of what is going on in Nigeria. His name is Adewole Adebayo.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads by lexy2014: 10:30am On Mar 01
foliman:
which giant stride is that?

before na "he hit the ground running". next thing ground scatter with never before seen inflation and suffering. now u have come with another empty hype

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUZ5eYhc4BM

1 Like

Re: FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads by Crowntop94: 10:32am On Mar 01
EcoBrick:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/fg-pays-120m-from-gas-debts-as-blackout-spreads/

I swear buhari and his cabals will not have peace of mind. They spoil this country and some foolish people are blaming government that has not even reach 1 year.
Re: FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads by DukeNija(m): 10:34am On Mar 01
OkutaNla:

No. Government is subsidizing power for Nigerians coz una no go wan pay the real cost of having stable power. Just like it was doing subsidizing fuel, government is also subsidizing power. That subsidy must go for us to enjoy stable electricity.

Do you understand what subsidy entails? The government pays the outstanding. So what do the GenCos do with the revenue is the question we should be asking. If we pay the actual cost, it won’t increase their revenue.
Re: FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads by VanuatuWycombe: 11:00am On Mar 01
Sirmuel1:
If them explain Nigeria give you, and you understand, them no explain am well.

As in… so complex a polity.

Everybody just dey do anyhow.
Na soso debt here and there.
More than N40b is owed to NEPA alone by government ministries and agencies. These are money they have collected and reported paid o.

How will light be stable? Why will gas be cheap?
I can’t stress less how civil servants have run down this country from mid 70s.
Re: FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads by symbianDON(m): 11:00am On Mar 01
OkutaNla:

abegggi! is it only Nigeria that pays subsidy on earth? why do you guys keep sounding as if subsidy payments are criminal. there's absolutely nothing wrong with government paying subsidies. what is wrong is the corruption associated with the payments.
Re: FG Pays $120m From Gas Debts As Blackout Spreads by ayolayo0405(m): 11:06am On Mar 01
5L 20W-50 is 35k
5L 5w-30 💯 percent synthetic is 45k
Trump16:
How much please?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sylva Threatens To Embarrass GEJ By Releasing Sensitive Documents / 2017: S/south, S/west Gulp 52% Of Federal Roads Budget / Reps Pass Bill To Make June 12 A National Holiday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.