Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,006 members, 7,821,525 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:19 PM

Is It Immature To Ask Parents For Relationship Advice As An Adult? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Is It Immature To Ask Parents For Relationship Advice As An Adult? (78 Views)

Resident Doctors to Ngige: We deserve the right to ask for salary increment / Genotype: The First Thing To Ask If A Guy Seeks To Have A Relationship With You / I Bedwet Even As An Adult....please Help Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Immature To Ask Parents For Relationship Advice As An Adult? by scottmartin: 5:06pm On Mar 01
I went through a bad break up a month ago (I broke up with her), and relied on my mother for advice and just someone to talk to. I talked to friends a lot too, but my mother is not in the friend group, so I felt I could opened up to her.

My ex found out and went on a long rant about how its immature to ask your parents for break up advice at 24. Do you think that's true? I know she has a bad relationship with her mom, who still scolds her about things. She also still lives at home.

My relationship with my mom doesn't have the same power dynamic, I feel were just two autonomous people. I moved out (30 minutes away) at 19, with on and off support from my parents. I visit twice a week or so for dinner and coffee, and we talk about our lives or whatever. During the breakup I was visiting 3-4 times a week for advice and just venting. Occasionally, we talk on the phone.

My ex obviously got under my skin. Ive had similar thoughts before too, that maybe I shouldn't rely so much on my mom at this age. I keep my life completely open to my mother, everything unfiltered, without feeling I'm being judged, and I dont know anyone else with that kind of relationship with their parents. Maybe I should try just working out problems other ways, without too much influence by my mom or even friends. What do you think?
Re: Is It Immature To Ask Parents For Relationship Advice As An Adult? by scottmartin: 5:06pm On Mar 01
scottmartin:
I went through a bad break up a month ago (I broke up with her), and relied on my mother for advice and just someone to talk to. I talked to friends a lot too, but my mother is not in the friend group, so I felt I could opened up to her.

My ex found out and went on a long rant about how its immature to ask your parents for break up advice at 24. Do you think that's true? I know she has a bad relationship with her mom, who still scolds her about things. She also still lives at home.

My relationship with my mom doesn't have the same power dynamic, I feel were just two autonomous people. I moved out (30 minutes away) at 19, with on and off support from my parents. I visit twice a week or so for dinner and coffee, and we talk about our lives or whatever. During the breakup I was visiting 3-4 times a week for advice and just venting. Occasionally, we talk on the phone.

My ex obviously got under my skin. Ive had similar thoughts before too, that maybe I shouldn't rely so much on my mom at this age. I keep my life completely open to my mother love guidance, everything unfiltered, without feeling I'm being judged, and I dont know anyone else with that kind of relationship with their parents. Maybe I should try just working out problems other ways, without too much influence by my mom or even friends. What do you think?
thanks in advance for any help
Re: Is It Immature To Ask Parents For Relationship Advice As An Adult? by immortalcrown(m): 5:09pm On Mar 01
Nobody outgrows counselling. Just do it rightly. Your mother is not a bad choice in this case. The same girl will later consult her friends who are definitely more immature than your mother. Therefore, don't regret your closeness to your mother.

The girl's annoyance is probably that your mother's guidance makes it difficult or impossible for her (the girl) to fool you.
Re: Is It Immature To Ask Parents For Relationship Advice As An Adult? by advanceDNA: 5:23pm On Mar 01
scottmartin:

Maybe I should try just working out problems other ways, without too much influence by my mom or even friends. What do you think?
Don't mind her....she's ur ex......she should remain an ex...why is she bothered about how u chose to manage ur breakup period.....??

(1) (Reply)

How To Get EMD Products / Understanding The Benefits Of Ashokarishta: A Natural Remedy For Women's Health / Prodentim Reviews | Best Oral Health Solution (2024 Update)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.