Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,293 members, 7,811,882 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:07 PM

Important Notice To Know About NIN For Applicants Abroad - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Important Notice To Know About NIN For Applicants Abroad (12752 Views)

"No More ₦500 Meat": Seller Puts Out Bold Notice For Customers / Oyo Issues Seven-day Quit Notice To Roadside Traders / AGSMEIS - Nirsal Loan Applicants Rejected By Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Important Notice To Know About NIN For Applicants Abroad by Great100000: 9:17am On Mar 04
The Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN has instructed all bank customers to link their National Identification Number (NIN) and Bank Verification Number, BVN to their bank account (s).

The National Identification Number (NIN) consists of 11 non-intelligible numbers randomly chosen and assigned to an individual after completing enrollment into the National Identity Database (NIDB).

Bank Verification Number (BVN) is a biometric technology with secure unique identifier to analyze human characteristics as an enhanced form of authentication for real-time security processes.

The Head, Corporate Communications of the National Identity Management Commission, NIMC, Kayode Adegoke, in a statement, urged Nigerians to adhere to instructions of the Commission to avoid the use of your BVN by unscrupulous persons.

The statement reads, “The National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) wishes to inform you that at no point should you write or give your Bank Verification Number (BVN) to anyone during the process of enrolling for the issuance of the National Identification Number (NIN).

“You are only required to type your BVN on the enrolment system or dictate it to the enrolment officer for verification purpose.

“Please ensure you adhere to this instruction to avoid the use of your BVN by unscrupulous person(s).

“NIMC considers the protection of NIN applicants’ data and information as a topmost security priority. The Commission would continue to uphold the highest ethical standards in the process of NIN enrollment and other services.

“Thank you as we strive to serve you better.”

Bankground:

Recall the CBN had in a circular on December 1st 2023, directed that banks should place restrictions on all Tier 1 bank accounts without BVN.

Tier 1 accounts are accounts that can be opened with a valid identity or proof of address.

The maximum daily transaction limit for a Tier account is N50,000 while the maximum account balance is N300,000.

According to the circular, titled, ‘TIER-1 WALLETS AND ACCOUNTS: MANDATORY USE OF BANK VERIFICATION NUMBER (BVN) OR NATIONAL IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (NIN), the CBN said: “As part of its effort in promoting financial system stability, it becomes necessary to strengthen the Know Your Customer (KYC) procedures in financial institutions under the purview of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).

“Accordingly, the CBN hereby issues an amendment to Section 1.5.3 of the Regulatory Framework for Bank Verification Number (BVN) Operations and Watch-List for the Nigerian Banking Industry (The Guidelines).

In this regard: It is mandatory for ALL Tier-1 bank accounts and wallets for individuals to have BVN and/or NIN.

“It remains mandatory for Tiers 2 & 3 accounts and wallets for Individual accounts to have BVN and NIN;

“The process for account opening shall commence by electronically retrieving BVN or NIN related information from the NIBSS’ BVN or NIMC’s NIN databases and for same to become the primary information for onboarding of new customers, and all existing customer accounts/wallets for individuals with validated BVN shall be profiled in the NIBSS’’ ICAD immediately and within 24hrs of opening accounts/wallets.

Source: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/03/important-notice-to-know-about-nin-for-applicants-abroad/

1 Like

Re: Important Notice To Know About NIN For Applicants Abroad by Kionrae: 1:11pm On Mar 04
Tr
Re: Important Notice To Know About NIN For Applicants Abroad by Goodlady(f): 1:11pm On Mar 04
Is our data protected at all?
Mtcheweeewwwwwwwwewweeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
Those that use these POS machines. I heard they are collecting it back from them yet their data is on it. Some don't even know they retrieve it back, some terms & conditions signings aren't clear. Most things na fraud for Nigeria!

4 Likes

Re: Important Notice To Know About NIN For Applicants Abroad by Image123(m): 1:13pm On Mar 04
Wrong headline. Has absolutely nothing to do with been abroad.

36 Likes

Re: Important Notice To Know About NIN For Applicants Abroad by TOKUNBOGOODIES: 1:18pm On Mar 04
Tfg
Re: Important Notice To Know About NIN For Applicants Abroad by Parrot69: 1:19pm On Mar 04
What about people outside the country?

5 Likes

Re: Important Notice To Know About NIN For Applicants Abroad by KosiGee(m): 1:19pm On Mar 04
How can one obtain the NIN from the US, Canada and the UK?

4 Likes

Re: Important Notice To Know About NIN For Applicants Abroad by vincenteger: 1:24pm On Mar 04
Nothing is well organised in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Important Notice To Know About NIN For Applicants Abroad by femi4: 1:26pm On Mar 04
Still looking for the link with abroad in the article

9 Likes

Re: Important Notice To Know About NIN For Applicants Abroad by femi4: 1:26pm On Mar 04
Parrot69:
Come home
Re: Important Notice To Know About NIN For Applicants Abroad by ignis: 1:33pm On Mar 04
Why can't BVN and NIN be integrated ?

1 Like

Re: Important Notice To Know About NIN For Applicants Abroad by yewit37486: 1:37pm On Mar 04
ignis:
WHT can't BVN and NIN be integrated ?

Because not everyone has a bank account.

1 Like

Re: Important Notice To Know About NIN For Applicants Abroad by Stevenson20: 1:38pm On Mar 04
Even after doing all this rubbish NIN, BVN etc,
Nothing will work. Just punishing people unnecessarily.

Nigeria is a failed country

2 Likes

Re: Important Notice To Know About NIN For Applicants Abroad by Kpartners: 1:48pm On Mar 04
You ended up saying absolutely nothing
What will those living abroad now do.
We should not give out our BVN to NIN enrollment officer's, but we should dictate it for them, what exactly are you trying to say
We are just living in a confused society, Nigeria is the most profiled country in the world yet nothing is working, you will go for drivers license, voters card, Ecowas passport, international passport, NIN, BVN, and yet we can't catch a single thief with all this. Nonsense

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Important Notice To Know About NIN For Applicants Abroad by WorkBank: 2:03pm On Mar 04
Funny enough, it was BVN that was used to generate NIN for most people initially.
Now u are requested to link them.
Nigeria?

3 Likes

Re: Important Notice To Know About NIN For Applicants Abroad by Ekpekus(m): 2:03pm On Mar 04
The title and content of the write up are at variance

3 Likes

Re: Important Notice To Know About NIN For Applicants Abroad by ignis: 2:08pm On Mar 04
yewit37486:

Because not everyone has a bank account.

That is the more reason it should be linked.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Important Notice To Know About NIN For Applicants Abroad by usagee36: 2:11pm On Mar 04
I will never give Nigeria my US Info because of one useless account😃😃😃 I moved all my money to my mama's on Friday. Bye Unstable Republic Of Nigeria 😃😃😃

1 Like

Re: Important Notice To Know About NIN For Applicants Abroad by BigDawsNet: 2:14pm On Mar 04
usagee36:
I will never give Nigeria my US Info because of one useless account😃😃😃 I moved all my money to my mama's on Friday. Bye Unstable Republic Of Nigeria 😃😃😃

Remember to pay ur tithe to that Nigerian church u dey go before u move abroad 😁🙏🏼

God bless you

1 Like

Re: Important Notice To Know About NIN For Applicants Abroad by Blacktruth: 2:17pm On Mar 04
KosiGee:
How can one obtain the NIN from the US, Canada and the UK?

It is obtainable in these countries you just mentioned
Re: Important Notice To Know About NIN For Applicants Abroad by yewit37486: 2:23pm On Mar 04
ignis:

That is the more reason it should be linked.

Without a bank acount, you can't have a BVN (bank verification number), but you can have an NIN. They are 2 separate numbers that serve 2 different purposes.
NIN and BVN can be linked for those that have bank accounts, but there will always be a need for a number not linked to one's bank account and that is the NIN.
Re: Important Notice To Know About NIN For Applicants Abroad by usagee36: 2:25pm On Mar 04
I don't believe in religion again bro. Religion was invented by man to destroy the world with hate.
BigDawsNet:

Remember to pay ur tithe to that Nigerian church u dey go before u move abroad 😁🙏🏼

God bless you

2 Likes

Re: Important Notice To Know About NIN For Applicants Abroad by NwaliE01: 2:55pm On Mar 04
Something is wrong with OP. You made me to waste my time looking for information for people abroad and not even for once was abroad mentioned in your write up. Sincerely, I feel like pouncing on you.

2 Likes

Re: Important Notice To Know About NIN For Applicants Abroad by seunlayi(m): 3:05pm On Mar 04
Op and Mod are optimally and moderate Asini Lọ́nà
Re: Important Notice To Know About NIN For Applicants Abroad by select500: 3:08pm On Mar 04
Check the NIMC website for details of locations outside Nigeria, where you can get registered.

Pa[b][/b]rrot69:
Re: Important Notice To Know About NIN For Applicants Abroad by imagrg(m): 3:13pm On Mar 04
Linking could degenerate to leakage of information. shocked

1 Like

Re: Important Notice To Know About NIN For Applicants Abroad by ignis: 3:38pm On Mar 04
yewit37486:

Without a bank acount, you can't have a BVN (bank verification number), but you can have an NIN. They are 2 separate numbers that serve 2 different purposes.
NIN and BVN can be linked for those that have bank accounts, but there will always be a need for a number not linked to one's bank account and that is the NIN.

Stop saying what you don't know please. Let me remind you that;
1. BVN is not Bank Verification number.
2. You could enroll and have BVN without a bank account.
Re: Important Notice To Know About NIN For Applicants Abroad by kechebel: 3:52pm On Mar 04

Re: Important Notice To Know About NIN For Applicants Abroad by Omniman(m): 4:02pm On Mar 04
sad
Re: Important Notice To Know About NIN For Applicants Abroad by goody234: 4:27pm On Mar 04
NIN or BVN having both is redundant
Re: Important Notice To Know About NIN For Applicants Abroad by t2luv1: 6:56pm On Mar 04
Parrot69:

They don't give a rat a*s about we people outside the country. All you have to know is the person's name given the directive. They are as clueless as door knobs. Just imagine confiscating a bank account just because some numbers are not linked to it. Whatever happened to deactivation until the number is linked to the account? To them making life as difficult as they can imagine was their intention all along.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

CBN Probes Questionable Bank Transactions / Help On Business Suggestion / Mowe Situation Report: No Injury Or Death Recorded - Lagos Fire Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.