Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,930 members, 7,810,588 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:37 AM

“My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? (30378 Views)

Offhand Or Offhead Which Is Correct / “my Name Is” Or “my Names Are” Which Is Correct? / 6 Nigerians Whose Names Are In Guinness World Record (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

“My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by ify2016: 8:27pm On Mar 04
Introducing ourselves is something we do in our everyday life in Gatherings, Meetings, or in Classroom. We usually introduce ourselves by saying: “My name is Tochukwu”, “I am Tochukwu”, “Hello everyone, I’m Tochukwu”, “Hey guys, I am Tochukwu” or “My name’s Tochukwu”.

The duality of English language has however resulted into controversy in the appropriate manner we should introduce ourselves. While some are of the opinion that the appropriate and grammatically correct manner of introducing yourself is saying “My name is Tochukwu Anayo”, some others suggest that the appropriate way of introducing yourself is saying “My names are Tochukwu Anayo-Enechukwu” in order to show plurality of your name.

These conflicting opinion is the reason for writing this article which examines whether ‘My name is’ or ‘My names are’ is the correct form of introducing yourself.

cause to reveal his dual identity, the rare plurality will apply and the writer may introduce himself by saying: My names are Anayo Tochukwu and Charles Lee (pseudonym name).

The similarity with the two aforementioned exceptions is its resemblance of plurality and the use of the conjunction ‘and’ which we cannot normally use while introducing ourselves. Thus, these exceptions come in handy in very special circumstance and can never fall under the conventional form of introducing your name. Hence, saying “My names are” is wrong, while saying “My name is” is the correct way of introducing your name.

Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka, ACMC, is a lawyer and a certified mediator/conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a developer with knowledge in various programming languages. Samuel is determined to leverage his skills in technology, SEO, and legal practice to revolutionize the legal profession worldwide by creating web and mobile applications that simplify legal research. Sam is also passionate about educating and providing valuable information to people.

Copied

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by LeeSantos(m): 9:02pm On Mar 04
My name “is” Time Square. And you can go on list your other 10,000 names

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by poshestmina(f): 10:28pm On Mar 04
My name is Mina Tunde Chinedu Musa.

64 Likes 5 Shares

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Zonefree(m): 10:43pm On Mar 04
Make money and allow your personality do the introduction.

131 Likes 12 Shares

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by papyjaypaul: 10:55pm On Mar 04
Make a name for yourself and let people introduce you, including your aliases.

Oyinbo just came to destroy our wats. We used to have descriptive names, which can be traced to your family and we love names. Now they made us reduce it to 3-4 names so we can start saying, my names are, my name is. OP, some people only have 1 name, no last name. My name

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by fkj950ax(m): 11:49pm On Mar 04
Nobody says my house are Door, Roof, Window, Wall

Nobody says my car are tire, seat, horn, engine

So why do people say my name are? It’s so irritating

108 Likes 10 Shares

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Omoawoke: 11:54pm On Mar 04
fkj950ax:
Nobody says my house are Door, Roof, Window, Wall

Nobody says my car are tire, seat, horn, engine

So why do people say my name are? It’s so irritating

Anytime I hear someone saying that, I feel like sizing them slap

58 Likes 4 Shares

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by okeke6969: 12:40am On Mar 05
"My names are" started with all this alleged miracle performing churches when is time for testimony.

56 Likes 2 Shares

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by ChisomNkwocha1(m): 4:37am On Mar 05
LeeSantos:
My name “is” Time Square. And you can go on list your other 10,000 names
just imagine all to an individual,please what is his level of education?

5 Likes

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by webincomeplus(m): 5:18am On Mar 05
"My names are" is used by clowns who think doing everything differently makes them appear smart.

1. A human name for ages has been known to be a single entity that comprises multiple components: the first name, the middle name for additional specificity, and the surname. All these make up a "name". So, saying "my names are" is wrong!

2. If I ask you what the name of your school is, you'll say "Federal University of Technology, Owerri" (just an example). Does it make sense to say, "the names of my school are Federal University..." just because the name comprises multiple words?

3. For those who did Biology and Agricultural Science in secondary school, the botanical name of a plant, for example, always has 2 parts. Yet, your teachers and textbooks never referred to a plant's botanical name as "botanical names" just because it has two parts.

4. The only instance when saying "my names are" could be correct is when someone asks you to list out all the names you were given. Then it's correct to say, "My names are Michael, Olugbenga, Adam, Chukwudifu, and Williams". Note the use of commas (or numbering as the case might be).

5. You won't even hear "my names are" from native English speakers.

174 Likes 22 Shares

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by mytime24(f): 5:57am On Mar 05
English na Ur mate

6 Likes

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by robinso01(m): 6:38am On Mar 05
Na over sabi people dey use my name are

28 Likes

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by LeeSantos(m): 7:03am On Mar 05
ChisomNkwocha1:
just imagine all to an individual,please what is his level of education?

Most person feels when they have more names they use “are” even most graduates do.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Dzzzz: 7:13am On Mar 05
My name is singular and my name are is plural..When referring to yourself”my name is” is the correct way to address yourself but On the other hand when it’s a group with a name”our name is plantashaun boiz” But with no name”Our names are 2face,blackface,faze”

19 Likes

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Dzzzz: 7:21am On Mar 05
Let me make it simple by giving you another example..My name is Nelson Babalola AKA Nelson Commando..My names are Nelson Babalola and Nelson Commando..Class dismiss..

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Cassandraloius: 7:30am On Mar 05
My name is Okro Goat meat stockfish semo.

8 Likes

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by talk2hb1(m): 7:36am On Mar 05
Nice Write-up, still I introduce myself like this
je m'appelle monsieur...

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Administration1: 7:38am On Mar 05
Cassandraloius:
My name is Okro Goat meat stockfish semo.

Your name is hunger undecided

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by CountinBlessins(m): 8:19am On Mar 05
who cares
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Charmingrascal(m): 8:39am On Mar 05
You have just a name which is your first name.

So my name are is a very wrong English.

Your first name is your name that should be prioritize.

Hence you should say My name is Seun other names can follow but the priority is Seun which is your first name.

My name is Seun Osewa Tinubu.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by CandidAdmin(m): 8:42am On Mar 05
My Name is - simple.
Who even started that are gan sef?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by christejames(m): 8:52am On Mar 05
You use 'my name is...' when saying your names without any title, like My name is Seun, Okenwa Abdul.

While you use 'my names are' when you want to attach other titles or appendages to your name like;

My names are, Chief Barrister Seun, Okenwa Abdul Esq. FCA, PPA, the Ogbuefi One of Nairaland Republic! This is because someone can still see you call you by those appendages or titles which are also your names cool

Thanks!

1 Like

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by ify2016: 8:58am On Mar 05
christejames:
You use 'my name is...' when saying your names without any title, like My name is Seun, Okenwa Abdul.

While you use 'my names are' when you want to attach other titles or appendages to your name like;

My names are, Chief Barrister Seun, Okenwa Abdul Esq. FCA, PPA, the Ogbuefi One of Nairaland Republic! This is because someone can still see you call you by those appendages or titles which are also your names cool

Thanks!

Na them be this.

Baba you're wrong

15 Likes

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by christejames(m): 9:04am On Mar 05
ify2016:

Na them be this.

Baba you're wrong

Wrong? grin

I laugh at your ignorance.
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Preciousese(f): 9:09am On Mar 05
Zonefree:
Make money and allow your personality do the introduction.

there was a time I would have agreed with you but today I can't do that,this is a very wrong statement for various reasons

8 Likes

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Abdul9025(m): 9:57am On Mar 05
The correct phrase is "My name is" for singular and "My names are" for plural. However, it's more common to use "My name is" even when referring to multiple people, as "name" typically remains singular.
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by santaclaws: 10:12am On Mar 05
Immediately you introduce yourself to me starting with "my names are..." I already know you're struggling with English 😆

The reason it's singular is from the perspective of a full name... So you don't need to pluralize anything.

3 Likes

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by victorazy(m): 10:13am On Mar 05
My name is
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Maxtipulation(m): 10:13am On Mar 05
My name is Tinubu is correct
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by seunayantokun(m): 10:13am On Mar 05
My name is.

Unless you are asked in a formal situation to list each as first name, middle name, and surname/last name, and you want to talk about them as different items. You may need to state, for instance, how many of them you have used, currently use, etc, otherwise simply say 'my name is' John Mark, Harry Potter, Emeka Ikẹ, Sani Ahmed, Dele Omowole, etc
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by ReubenE(m): 10:13am On Mar 05
My Name Is

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Jonathan Appoints Vice-Chancellors For 5 New Universities / Professor Grace Otinwa: I Kneel Down To Greet My Husband / Pathetic State Of Schools In Akwa Ibom (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.