Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,669 members, 7,820,349 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:25 PM

“My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? (30421 Views)

Offhand Or Offhead Which Is Correct / “my Name Is” Or “my Names Are” Which Is Correct? / 6 Nigerians Whose Names Are In Guinness World Record (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by robinfemi: 10:14am On Mar 05
It depends
My name"s" are (Full names or more than one name to be mention)
My name is (single name)
Una ho dey stress Una sef, like say na your father tongue
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by dododawa1: 10:14am On Mar 05
My name are Tinubu AGBADO cassava balulublue

2 Likes

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by CharleyBright(m): 10:15am On Mar 05
Lol.

When you are filling a form or document, do they request for "Names" or "Name"?

Name ..................
Not
Names...............

Officially, a person is identified by his name not his names.

A person name is Chuckwueze Ademola
Abubakar. Chuckwueze being Main name, Ademola being Middle name and Aboubakar being Surname. Those combination is his name.

However, on naming ceremony day the same person could have also been named Akpan, Efosa, Ochefu, Adamu and Moses. .... Son of Ademola Abubakar. Those were his other names at birth.

No official document is going to be asking you for your names. They will ask for your name.

So technically, it is wrong to say my names are Chuckwueze Ademola Abubakar. The correct thing is my name is Chuckwueze Ademola Abubakar.

2 Likes

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Patojargz: 10:16am On Mar 05
All Join...
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by OMEGA009(m): 10:16am On Mar 05
Even the thousands of demons who possessed a guy said “My name IS legion because we are many” but Nigerians are more British than the Queen.

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Paracetamol01: 10:16am On Mar 05
Hmmm educative
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Otiwaikuku: 10:20am On Mar 05
ify2016:
Introducing ourselves is something we do in our everyday life in Gatherings, Meetings, or in Classroom. We usually introduce ourselves by saying: “My name is Tochukwu”, “I am Tochukwu”, “Hello everyone, I’m Tochukwu”, “Hey guys, I am Tochukwu” or “My name’s Tochukwu”.

The duality of English language has however resulted into controversy in the appropriate manner we should introduce ourselves. While

some are of the opinion that the appropriate and grammatically correct manner of introducing yourself is saying “My name is Tochukwu Anayo”, some others suggest that the appropriate way of introducing yourself is saying “My names are Tochukwu Anayo-Enechukwu” in order to show plurality of your name.

These conflicting opinion is the reason for writing this article which examines whether ‘My name is’ or ‘My names are’ is the correct form of introducing yourself.

cause to reveal his dual identity, the rare plurality will apply and the writer may introduce himself by saying: My names are Anayo Tochukwu and Charles Lee (pseudonym name).

The similarity with the two aforementioned exceptions is its resemblance of plurality and the use of the conjunction ‘and’ which we cannot normally use while introducing ourselves. Thus, these exceptions come in handy in very special circumstance and can never fall under the conventional form of introducing your name. Hence, saying “My names are” is wrong, while saying “My name is” is the correct way of introducing your name.

Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka, ACMC, is a lawyer and a certified mediator/conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a developer with knowledge in various programming languages. Samuel is determined to leverage his skills in technology, SEO, and legal practice to revolutionize the legal profession worldwide by creating web and mobile applications that simplify legal research. Sam is also passionate about educating and providing valuable information to people.

Copied

You are one person and all the names is to identify one entity.
The correct thing is (my name is)

2 Likes

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by geezville86: 10:21am On Mar 05
haha…this thread is too funny
anyway, since it appears we all want to play, here’s another one to ruminate about
One dollar, two dollars
One pound, two pounds
One naira, two…….?
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Hezmatosky: 10:21am On Mar 05
Both are correct depending how you want to use them. My name is Tochukwu Godspower. But if you want to include AKA, you can say my names are Tochukwu, Amina, Godspower, Osmosis, Diffusion, Ladybug, SpongeBob etc
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by kabius(m): 10:21am On Mar 05
We don argue am tire. But I stick with the former come what may.
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Jeje247: 10:22am On Mar 05
To avoid unnecessary stress, I AM is the best option

3 Likes

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by mysticwarrior(m): 10:22am On Mar 05
The correct one is "my name na"

3 Likes

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by EducasionMe(m): 10:22am On Mar 05
Can I use my name were
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by VinnyBaba: 10:24am On Mar 05
Charmingrascal:
You have just a name which is your first name.

So my name are is a very wrong English.

Your first name is your name that should be prioritize.

Hence you should say My name is Seun other names can follow but the priority is Seun which is your first name.

My name is Seun Osewa Tinubu.

Don't link Mr Seun to FAILURES, plz! 🙏

It is Seun Osewa PETER OBI! cool smiley

1 Like

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Gajagojo: 10:25am On Mar 05
fkj950ax:
Nobody says my house are Door, Roof, Window, Wall

Nobody says my car are tire, seat, horn, engine

So why do people say my name are? It’s so irritating
Your analogy is tangential and irrelevant.
The conclusion is correct but as in mathematics
Your answer is correct but your WORKING is wrong

By the way the error You are correcting is
My names are
NOT
My name are

Now the working
By convention when asked
what is your name specifically your full name then You are required to state
Forename
Middle name( s)
Surname

So the issue is a matter of CONVENTION
It is not grammatically or logically wrong to say my names are since you are staying forename,middle name etc

It is just not how the owners of the language use it and honestly it is annoying. TO SOME
However this is absolutely not a grammatical solecism
However Nigeria and Nigerians have a large English population and are entitled to their own quirky use of English language just like Americans e.g GOTTEN, SPEAK TO etc which British find annoying
So in Nigeria we introduced the word SEVERALLY With a new meaning and forced them to put it in the dictionary. FACT CHECK. We also have the world NEXT TOMORROW and BEENTO

We might force them to accept MY NAMES ARE

I honestly do not get the logic of your explanation
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Echo50(m): 10:25am On Mar 05
ify2016:
Introducing ourselves is something we do in our everyday life in Gatherings, Meetings, or in Classroom. We usually introduce ourselves by saying: “My name is Tochukwu”, “I am Tochukwu”, “Hello everyone, I’m Tochukwu”, “Hey guys, I am Tochukwu” or “My name’s Tochukwu”.

The duality of English language has however resulted into controversy in the appropriate manner we should introduce ourselves. While some are of the opinion that the appropriate and grammatically correct manner of introducing yourself is saying “My name is Tochukwu Anayo”, some others suggest that the appropriate way of introducing yourself is saying “My names are Tochukwu Anayo-Enechukwu” in order to show plurality of your name.

These conflicting opinion is the reason for writing this article which examines whether ‘My name is’ or ‘My names are’ is the correct form of introducing yourself.

cause to reveal his dual identity, the rare plurality will apply and the writer may introduce himself by saying: My names are Anayo Tochukwu and Charles Lee (pseudonym name).

The similarity with the two aforementioned exceptions is its resemblance of plurality and the use of the conjunction ‘and’ which we cannot normally use while introducing ourselves. Thus, these exceptions come in handy in very special circumstance and can never fall under the conventional form of introducing your name. Hence, saying “My names are” is wrong, while saying “My name is” is the correct way of introducing your name.

Edeh Samuel Chukwuemeka, ACMC, is a lawyer and a certified mediator/conciliator in Nigeria. He is also a developer with knowledge in various programming languages. Samuel is determined to leverage his skills in technology, SEO, and legal practice to revolutionize the legal profession worldwide by creating web and mobile applications that simplify legal research. Sam is also passionate about educating and providing valuable information to people.

Copied

My name Tunde Alfred Peter.

Their names are: Pat okon.
Love Jane
Favour Lookman etc.

Your identified with either of the name

1 Like

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by seunayantokun(m): 10:26am On Mar 05
santaclaws:
Immediately you introduce yourself to me starting with "my names are..." I already know you're struggling with English 😆

The reason it's singular is from the perspective of a full name... So you don't need to pluralize anything.

Correct

1 Like

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Hezmatosky: 10:27am On Mar 05
geezville86:
haha…this thread is too funny
anyway, since it appears we all want to play, here’s another one to ruminate about
One dollar, two dollars
One pound, two pounds
One naira, two…….?
If the two dollars and two pounds are in one note, its wrong for you to pluralise them. You can say correctly, I want to change 50 dollar or 50 pound. Pounds as in plural is used in measurements.
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Emekayoung(m): 10:29am On Mar 05
My name is John. Or you can say my names are John Michael Esosa. You can't change what has come to stay,English language has been in existence before many of you were born so your different views and perceptions cannot change anything. We have accepted it as our official language so there is nothing that can change that,we just have to continue learning it until the end of time.
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Keegan: 10:30am On Mar 05
My name is Bond, James Bond.
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by bidosky: 10:35am On Mar 05
Tinubu Atiku Obi be my name.
If you don’t like it that is your problem….
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Bimpe29: 10:36am On Mar 05
My name is Adebimpe Akorede Ibrahim.
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by patrickkkk: 10:37am On Mar 05
G
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Corrections: 10:39am On Mar 05
It all depends on how it is used. It’s not a crime telling someone your names. However, where the problem is how it is being structured grammatically in a sentence . Take for example…….

This is wrong
* My names are Tope, John, Muhammad.

But this is correct
* My names are Tope, John and Muhammad.

The use of ‘’and’’ indicates or makes it plural (more than one). Therefore, when you list your names to people, you must end the last name with “and”……..Tope, John and Muhammad.

When you say “ My names are Tope, John, Muhammad”, the whole names you listed is viewed as just one (single).

This means “are” should have been replaced with “is”………result…… My name is Tope, John, Muhammad.( this is correct or you can simply say Tope)

1 Like

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by MrSundry: 10:39am On Mar 05
We are yet to finish dealing with "My name is" & " My names are" issue some people are already introducing "They" "Them" pronouns.

I think those people with "They Them" pronouns should use "Names are" while the rest should use "Name is".

Problem solved.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Bluearrow: 10:40am On Mar 05
okeke6969:
"My names are" started with all this alleged miracle performing churches when is time for testimony.
Funny but very true
I only see people saying my names are when giving testimony

1 Like

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Caleb15(m): 10:40am On Mar 05
Cassandraloius:
My name is Okro Goat meat stockfish semo.

Na wetin dey hungry you U type so

1 Like

Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by UTEWUOJO: 10:40am On Mar 05
I don't actually know what is wrong with those "MY NAMES ARE SET OF PEOPLE", some of them say it out of ignorance though; perhaps they have seen one muntula introducing him or herself like that and the person appeared knowledgeable to them, hence the copy copy. My question to them is that have they ever heard someone asking them what "ARE" your name? It's always what is your name?.
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by udemzyudex(m): 10:42am On Mar 05
Go tell Destalker first.
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by Dougad: 10:42am On Mar 05
My name is.

If you're using "my names are", it implies that you're listing the names you answer to the person you're talking to. So it should be my names are Ada, Susan, and Ameh. But I can't think of a reason why someone would want to list their names instead of announcing the entire name.

So my name is Ada Susan Ameh is what works.

It's like saying Chelsea FC are garbage instead of Chelsea FC is a garbage team.
Re: “My Name Is” Or “My Names Are” Which Is Correct? by free234free: 10:42am On Mar 05
My name is. Bleep all these gen z English

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Don Davis: Deeper Life School Principal, Others Remanded In Prison / Father Flogs Child's School Teacher To Death For Disciplining Student In Delta / Plastic Bottles Used To Pay School Fees At Morit International School, Ajegunle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.