Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,246 members, 7,815,362 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:16 AM

Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left - Autos (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left (27412 Views)

Adjusting From Right Hand Drive To LHD / 2014 TOYOTA Camry***45k Actual Mileage Only***time Left:3days 0hours 10mins** / 2010 LEXUS RX 350***Time Left:3days 0hours 10mins** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by jubrilELsudan: 9:43am On Mar 05
A
Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by blowjohn(m): 9:45am On Mar 05
MajorOvakporaye:
How does this bring solution to the numerous problems cause by Tilumbu the fake accountant?

If u change ur hear to gear 3 and turn left, u will notice that the next shop u enter will sell things cheap to u. Just tell them u know why Nigeria changed frm right hand to left hand drive
Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by Kcfresh2103(m): 9:48am On Mar 05
So for all the issues plaguing us now as a nation.....na right hand and left hand driving be our problem.
Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by Gajagojo: 9:56am On Mar 05
immortalcrown:
I think right-hand drive makes drivers more focused on the road and vehicles when driving. I think so because it is more tasking since majority of people on earth are right-handed. In this case, people will try to focus on the driving because of the inconvenience (difficulty) of using the left hand for gear lever, stereo and other things.

I find left-hand drive easier because the right hand is used for gear lever, stereo operation and so on. Consequently, drivers in this category tend to drive with less attention because of the convenience.

Please, this is just an assumption for now. I may later do research on the rates of road accidents in countries that use right-hand drive and in countries that use left-hand drive.

Being right handed makes no difference you get used to what you grow up with
Arabic is written from right to left and they are fine.
Writing from right to left is probably easier
In Nigeria some people are trained to clean yansh with left hand and eat with right and the b brain adjusts
No need to over think it.
Not every right handed person has dominance on the left leg
You drive with your legs even more than hands arguably

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by immortalcrown(m): 9:57am On Mar 05
Gajagojo:
Being right handed makes no difference you get used to what you grow up with
Arabic is written from right to left and they are fine. No need to over think it.
Not every right handed person has dominance on the left leg
You drive with your legs even more than hands arguably
Your point is noted.
Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by Gajagojo: 10:00am On Mar 05
immortalcrown:
Your point is noted.
In Nigeria we eat with right hand and clean yansh with left in many places
I wonder whether other countries got the emai
Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by SMARTMOTORS(m): 10:00am On Mar 05
Wonder how right handed people fill comfortable changing gear with left hand while driving a right hand vehicles
Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by dapadawee: 10:00am On Mar 05
politicoNG:

https://www.pulse.ng/lifestyle/food-travel/why-nigeria-switched-the-drivers-seat-from-right-to-left/vckvmqj#:~:text=As%20Nigeria's%20trade%20with%20surrounding,struggled%20to%20navigate%20Nigerian%20roadways.
The only reason was that we wanted to copy America nothing more than that.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by remsonik(f): 10:01am On Mar 05
Goodlady:
Na that part we no please Britain.
Cos Na France suppose colonies us. Look at our allies, na French colony surround us, Cameroon to the east, Benin Republic and Togo to the west and Niger and Chad to the north.

Meanwhile, I no know who worst pass btw Britain and France cos all their colonies especially in sub saharan Africa are suffering sufferers!
We are the suffering specimen of the world!
I saw a video of wan tiringbeku whiteman saying Africa must continue to be impoverished cos na we get raw materials needed in Europe for their advancement . How true is this?
Does anyone have the link or source?

Yes cos we don't have the necessary technology,
machinery,skills and knowledge to use in production of this raw materials and make them topnotch products. Our crude oil is exported abroad for production and its sold back to us at high rates
Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by Jogs1900: 10:03am On Mar 05
IboHausaYoruba:
Hmmn! So UK, South Africa, Kenya, Botswana, Zimbabwe and other eastern and southern African countries that still maintain left side of the road are less bouyant than Nigeria? That's why Nigeria's driving licence isnt recognised abroad. Really been long we've been making inappropriate decisions that seemingly has led us more backwards.
Oga say what you know..Nigerias drivers licence is recognised abroad.You can use it for a year in the UK..Even in Canada, it's recognised once they can verify it online.
Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by peterboro: 10:03am On Mar 05
immortalcrown:
I think right-hand drive makes drivers more focused on the road and vehicles when driving. I think so because it is more tasking since majority of people on earth are right-handed. In this case, people will try to focus on the driving because of the inconvenience (difficulty) of using the left hand for gear lever, stereo and other things.

I find left-hand drive easier because the right hand is used for gear lever, stereo operation and so on. Consequently, drivers in this category tend to drive with less attention because of the convenience.

Please, this is just an assumption for now. I may later do research on the rates of road accidents in countries that use right-hand drive and in countries that use left-hand drive.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO DO ANY RESEARCH FURTHER.
Since i come UK, i totally forgot that name "accident".
Cos i have not seen or heard of any road accident case.
AND THERE'S NOTHING LIKE ROAD SAFETY HERE. Cos everybody head correct here.

NIGERIA IS REALLY A ZOO. ANIMALS PLENTY PASS HUMAN.

And if you ever voted APC after Buhari 8 years of disaster... THEN I THINK YOU REALLY HAVE TO CHECK YOUR BRAIN.

I am not a Zombie!
Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by Pootle: 10:04am On Mar 05
driven right abit cant be compared to driving the left, another major factor 75 to 80 percent are comfortable using their right hand
Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by amstamon: 10:08am On Mar 05
DJMix2025:
True true if you did not read that epistle here lemme explain to yo.

Nigeria switched the driver's seat from right to left in 1972 to align with the majority of countries that drive on the left side of the road. This change was made to conform to the international standard, which is left-hand traffic. The specific date for this change was April 2, 1972. The decision to switch from right-hand drive to left-hand drive was made by the government, as they felt that it was necessary to align with the global norms. And pls visit my small blog it’s all about dj mix of all genre of music www Naijadjmixtape com
Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by proxillin(m): 10:08am On Mar 05
hotwax:
The first time I went to South Africa, I hired a car at airport. I had paid and received the car key when I realized it’s right handed car.

I summoned courage started the car, I struggled to use my left hand to position the gear for 15minutes…to compound the issue is the transmission of the car….it’s godamned manual car.
The last time I drove a manual car was in my secondary school days…and that was my mums peogeut 504.

I was in one position for 30min…then their rep came to check on me “any problem?” I said I’m cool I’m just setting my map app.

I finally fired the car, the car jumped forward, from their I entered the road like an erratic drunk driver…zooming, jerking and slowing..

Sweating inside the AC.

Then I faced the major road, their roads are tailored for right driving, I first faced one way..thank God I didn’t cause accident.

I quickly calculated that I had to be on the right.

At the end sha…I saw a ticket of 250rands on the cars screen wiper where i parked it asking me to pay in 48hours..

I nearly hated South Africa because of that
Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by Azazyel: 10:14am On Mar 05
jeromestarks:
I'm here till tell you.to marry a young virgin woman if you want peace and lasting happiness in you home.

If you marry a woman who has been fvvcked and mounted by many men, you will train another man's children thinking they're yours because she will definitely go back and fvvck her - Okafor's law is real bro.

Finally, fvck any girl you want but when it comes to marriage, find a virgin woman. Only her can guarantee you a peaceful lasting and happy home.

Avoid my advice and you will be on front page of many newspapers for badnews.

I repeat, MARRY ONLY A WOMAN WHI HAS KEPT HERSELF - a virgin!

Who told you that all virgins have good character? You don knack people's daughters and you want a virgin 🤣

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by Advancedman(m): 10:19am On Mar 05
immortalcrown:

Sure.
Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by Verbtips(m): 10:25am On Mar 05
immortalcrown:

dey playgringrin
YOU WHERE FORCE TO USE RIGHT HAND
WE ARE ALL LEFT HANDED PEOPLE,
ACCORD TO MY CHILDHOOD STORY
THEY SAID I WAS CORRECTED SEVERAL TIME TO USE RIGHT HAND BUT I WAS ADAMANT
THAT SOME TIMES I WONT EAT
AND NW AM PROF LEFT HANDED MAN
Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by Tradepunter2: 10:36am On Mar 05
MajorOvakporaye:
How does this bring solution to the numerous problems cause by Tilumbu the fake accountant?

Bro calm the fk down.... Cuz no fking person have the solution to Nigeria's problem....
Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by seunayantokun(m): 10:42am On Mar 05
This article has successfully confused its writer.
Just get it clear like this:
Left-hand drive vehicles drive on the right while right-hand drive ones drive on the left. The US, France, Germany, and many other countries, including Nigeria, are examples of the former while the UK, Japan, Australia, South Africa, Kenya etc are examples of the latter.
Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by pendragonbladgo(m): 10:48am On Mar 05
I am left handed person. so no consideration to us. I ll take General Gowon to court for leaving us lefties to suffer.
Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by ardrockltd(m): 10:50am On Mar 05
MajorOvakporaye:
can't even spell the name correctly, keep wailing till kingdom comes
Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by Arabaincubus: 10:54am On Mar 05
Was that also why Nigeria moved away from the pounds sterling, inherited from the British colonialists to the Naira?

Britain still has their vehicles' steerings on the right side, and they drive on the wrong side of the road.

The simple reason is that: Nigeria was trying to wean itself from the colonial breath.

Nigeria also jettisoned the parliamentary system of governance, inherited from the British, and embraced the American-styled presidential system, which is currently threatening to bankrupt Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by Exousiang01: 10:55am On Mar 05
MajorOvakporaye:
This is the reason why after going to school you still lack education.
I just hope you are not influencing your children to think in this direction...

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by eaglechild: 11:05am On Mar 05
hotwax:
The first time I went to South Africa, I hired a car at the airport. I had paid and received the car key when I realized it’s a right handed car.

I summoned courage started the car, I struggled to use my left hand to position the gear for 15minutes…to compound the issue is the transmission of the car….it’s godamned manual car.
The last time I drove a manual car was in my secondary school days…and that was my mums peogeut 504.

I was in one position for 30min…then their rep came to check on me “any problem?” I said I’m cool I’m just setting my map app.

I finally fired the car, the car jumped forward, from their I entered the road like an erratic drunk driver…zooming, jerking and slowing..

Sweating inside the AC.

Then I faced the major road, their roads are tailored for right driving, I first faced one way..thank God I didn’t cause accident.

I quickly calculated that I had to be on the right.

At the end sha…I saw a ticket of 250rands on the cars screen wiper asking me to pay in 48hours..

I nearly hated South Africa because of that
Lol!
Good storytelling. Should have done a bit more research.
Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by tonyshine01: 11:16am On Mar 05
taiwotimitt:
hmmmmm................Interesting topic............
but have you thought about registering you Business with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC)?
it's very cheap and simple
I want to register a company, Could you be of assistance?

What are the modalities including cost?
Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by hotwax: 11:16am On Mar 05
eaglechild:

Lol!
Good storytelling. Should have done a bit more research.

For the purpose of?
Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by junketer(m): 12:42pm On Mar 05
I live in a country that has right hand drive. There isn't any difference except that anytime i visit naija it takes me about 2 days to get used to turning into the proper lane.
Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by MajorOvakporaye(f): 1:07pm On Mar 05
Exousiang01:

This is the reason why after going to school you still lack education.
I just hope you are not influencing your children to think in this direction...

Who is this? You better fvck off!!!
Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by Exousiang01: 1:11pm On Mar 05
MajorOvakporaye:

Who is this? You better fvck off!!!
You proven me right, an educated person would have graduated with certification in good character and learning.
Someone with good character won't talk like this.....

You are not an illiterate, you can read and write.
But you are not educated.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Various Types Of CAR Android Screens For Sale / Super Clean Golf 4 For Sale( Cheap Price) Toks / Honda Accord For Sale N250,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.