Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,944 members, 7,817,769 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:12 PM

Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters (6958 Views)

Nigeria Experiences Steady Drop After 40,000 BH Deaths – US CFR Security Tracker / Wali Hands Over To Amina Zakari Following Her Appointment By Pres. Buhari / Rt Hon Aminu Tambuwal CFR Set To Declare For APC With 15 Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters by chino11(m): 7:16pm On Nov 12, 2011
Renowned Nigerian literary icon, Professor Chinua Achebe, has for the second time in seven years rejected an offer of a National Honor by the Nigerian government.

Professor Achebe, globally recognized as one of the world’s most outstanding novelists and intellectuals, rejected the “national honor” in a terse statement.

In a statement today, he said: “The reasons for rejecting the offer when it was first made have not been addressed let alone solved. It is inappropriate to offer it again to me. I must therefore regretfully decline the offer again.”

Two days ago, SaharaReporters reported that with only a few days to the investiture, the nominee had not even been contacted about it by the government.

SaharaReporters has learned that the Nigerian ambassador to the US, Professor Ade Adefuye, received the message from Professor Achebe last night.

In 2004, in the letter in which he rejected the same honor, Achebe sent to President Olusegun Obasanjo the following, longer letter: “I write this letter with a very heavy heart. For some time now I have watched events in Nigeria with alarm and dismay. I have watched particularly the chaos in my own state of Anambra where a small clique of renegades, openly boasting its connections in high places, seems determined to turn my homeland into a bankrupt and lawless fiefdom.  I am appalled by the brazenness of this clique and the silence, if not connivance, of the Presidency.

“Forty three years ago, at the first anniversary of Nigeria's independence I was given the first Nigerian National Trophy for Literature. In 1979, I received two further honors – the Nigerian National Order of Merit and the Order of the Federal Republic – and in 1999 the first National Creativity Award.

“I accepted all these honors fully aware that Nigeria was not perfect; but I had a strong belief that we would outgrow our shortcomings under leaders committed to uniting our diverse peoples.  Nigeria's condition today under your watch is, however, too dangerous for silence. I must register my disappointment and protest by declining to accept the high honor awarded me in the 2004 Honors List”.

An analyst who spoke to SaharaReporters on Achebe’s letter to Jonathan said, “The brevity and tone of this letter speaks volumes.”

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/professor-achebe-rejects-cfr-award-offer-president-jonathan
Re: Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters by Coldsteel(m): 7:44pm On Nov 12, 2011
Things fall apart,the centre can not hold.sir,ur name & achievements speak 4 itself all round d universe.i've nothing but heaps of respects 4 u.
Re: Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters by Afam4eva(m): 7:50pm On Nov 12, 2011
He doesn't need any stupid award from the FG. I respect the fact that he doesn't compromise his integrity for a mere award.
Re: Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters by Nobody: 7:51pm On Nov 12, 2011
Thanks Prof <Pouring libation in your honour> grin
Re: Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters by doctokwus: 8:03pm On Nov 12, 2011
Rare breed;painfully few left in d country,give dem a few millions& dey are ready to pledge unashamed allegiance to d powers that b at d most heinous of shrines;give dem a billion& dey equate themselves to god,some evn build churches to compete wt Him.Sir,may u live longer,ur name,honor,principles will b told unto d Nth generation.
Re: Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters by Ohaneze1: 8:38pm On Nov 12, 2011
Professor Achebe is the best Nigeria and Africa can boast of. Achebe remains Africa's greatest celebrity
Re: Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters by Afam4eva(m): 8:41pm On Nov 12, 2011
No wonder he was named the most influencial African by forbes.
Re: Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters by Gbawe: 8:42pm On Nov 12, 2011
Achebe is simply one of the greatest Nigerians alive today. A source of immense pride for every African talk less of us Nigerians. If Achebe is not keen to accept this award under GEJ , same as he showed no enthusiasm when OBJ offered it, does this not speak loudly of how this current Government cannot be the right one with how it does not enjoy the backing of the Nigerians , beyond ethnic lines, we all love, respect and trust?

The best indicator of a failing government is when men of unimpeachable integrity, like Achebe,  want nothing to do with your government yet the AGIPs are "firmly" behind you. The likes of Achebe have no times for games or duplicity. They will embrace sincerity, honesty and genuine goodwill when they discern it. Equally, they will reject impostors.
Re: Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters by Kilode1: 8:54pm On Nov 12, 2011
but of course Baba Achebe is faarr beyond the Childish antics of these clueless rogues in Government.

As usual, they can go keep their "award" waay up that place they kept their brain. Awon Asiwere!
Re: Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters by dustydee: 10:57pm On Nov 12, 2011
Wow! He said the government had not performed to expectation. Well lets hope this time around the govt will perform since"Nigerians" elected GEJ and not PDP which had failed to perform for over 12 years.
Re: Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters by nuclearboy(m): 6:52am On Nov 13, 2011
Thought the usual refrain is that saharareporters is a nonsense rag reporting nonsense ALL the time. Yet we keep seeing their stories supported and confirmed by subsequent happenings.
Re: Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters by dplordx(m): 8:58am On Nov 13, 2011
GEJ gets a slap like his boss did. LOL.
God bless you prof. May you live longer jare.
Re: Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters by CyberG: 9:03am On Nov 13, 2011
Only if the average Nigerian leader would have a heart and principles like Achebe! But NO, they would dine with evil so far it gives them one more chieftancy title or an extra million naira!
Re: Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters by ov: 10:05am On Nov 13, 2011
Award kor award nee. Chinua is a legend weda FG gives him an award or not.

BUt the question is what should we youths learn from this gesture?

DONT EVER compromise your belief and standards for anything AND be the best at everything you do.

Chinua Achebe we respect you for this.
Re: Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters by philips70(m): 10:20am On Nov 13, 2011
If things are not seen right chances are they are not right at all. If Achebe in all honesty doesn't see the leadership veering Nigeria's ship to the right direction who are we with fewer number of eyes to see it differently? Was talking on phone with a close pal of mine who lives in the states and he told me he has good information that things are now working here. I told him my honest take on this. That we are very far from that assertion. Nigeria is the only country where even if you are doing a well paid job you will still be struggling to live above the poverty line. I adjudge Nigeria situation like someone who wants to leave Lagos to Delta state going to take a car heading to Cotonou. Your guess is as good as mine. He has wandered all the way to Senegal. So he needs to come back to Lagos and get into the right car. Only God will help us not these clowns in seats of government. We need not fold our arms for this help to come. We need to occupy everywhere. Anything less will incur the wrath of our future generations because we failed to stand up to these oppressors and usurpers of our common wealth.
Re: Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters by strangest(m): 10:28am On Nov 13, 2011
Sir,
i like the way you rejected the government offer but i dislike the way you rejected the million dollar from 50cents because that money would have served for charity purposes at least.
Re: Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters by BOBFJ(m): 10:29am On Nov 13, 2011
Things have fallen apart again ooo, Kudos Prof. u r a real elder.hw i wish i can do that
Re: Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters by chuks49(m): 10:34am On Nov 13, 2011
Where are the other Achebe's who are ready turn down these National (Dis)Honours.
Re: Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters by Nobody: 10:45am On Nov 13, 2011
I think he prefers large part of the Oil money rather than award grin grin lipsrsealed
Re: Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters by Nobody: 10:46am On Nov 13, 2011
strangest:

Sir,
i like the way you rejected the government offer but i dislike the way you rejected the million dollar from 50cents because that money would have served for charity purposes at least.
hey what you say n!gger? angry
Re: Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters by strangest(m): 10:52am On Nov 13, 2011
careytommy:

hey what you say n!gger? angry
wasn't talking to you!!!
Re: Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters by Nobody: 10:56am On Nov 13, 2011
If only reuben abati has taken this path, then maybe his reputation may not hav been dis damaged. Reputation and good name is better than riches and gold.
Re: Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters by philips70(m): 11:04am On Nov 13, 2011
valacious:

If only reuben abati has taken this path, then maybe his reputation may not hav been dis damaged. Reputation and good name is better than riches and gold.

Reuben Abati has decided to eat from the pot and stake his name. He is now in the dustbin part of our journalistic history. In short words he is a disgrace to the media world. I used to enjoy his dailies on Guardian.
Re: Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters by aribisala0(m): 11:17am On Nov 13, 2011
nigeria is in the doldrums. an award from nigeria,now,will not elevate achebe in any way.
although i heard somone say on TV that you actually had to apply for these awards i believe it was pat utomi
Re: Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters by aieromon(m): 11:37am On Nov 13, 2011
I wonder why they want to shove the award down Achebe's throat after he rejected OBJ's offer.They want people like him to be on the list for the award to have a tint of credibility.

Nigerians know better angry angry

Prof,thanks for maintaining your stance.
Re: Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 11:38am On Nov 13, 2011
Mmm
Re: Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters by Nobody: 11:58am On Nov 13, 2011
How can the great literary icon be at par with Aki and PawPaw in the same sentence?
That's what these dozen-a-penny awards can do.
Lumping international luminaries with junk actors like Genevieve and midgets.
No disrespect to those thespians but truth is there's a huge gulf in class between them and Prof,especially if Prof is internationally renowned.
That aside, I admire the honesty and principled stand that Chinua is adopting.The average Nigerian would rush to get titles wouldn't bat an eyelid.A professor of whatever field won't see any wrong in accepting an award from a government that has crippled the supposed education system which is his supposed constituency
Re: Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters by Nobody: 12:08pm On Nov 13, 2011
colly227:

I think he prefers large part of the Oil money rather than award grin grin lipsrsealed

:/8-) who no like better thing afterall dem no dey chop award !
Re: Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters by Nobody: 12:42pm On Nov 13, 2011
Imagine the nonsense!
They want to bunch a whole CHINUA ACHEBE with the likes of cretins like Aki and Pawpaw. What an insult.

Awards in Nigeria are given to every one-eyed pauper and light-fingered fellow whom a bunch of people deem fit. I spit on all of them and their fathers' graves.
Re: Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters by silibaba: 1:13pm On Nov 13, 2011
at least, he is far better than wole soyinka
Re: Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters by aribisala0(m): 1:25pm On Nov 13, 2011
he is soyinka's daddy
Re: Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters by Johnpaul2k2(m): 1:28pm On Nov 13, 2011
strangest:

Sir,
he doesn't have long throat like you
angry angry angry angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Does The President Always Like To Wear Military Uniforms? / Vote: Who Is More Beautiful Aisha Buhari, Bolanle Ambode, Or Eberechi N-wike / When You Mistakenly Say "SAI BABA" In A Petrol Station. (PICTURE)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.