Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,171 members, 7,811,401 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:02 AM

Messi Has To Retire For Someone Else To Be Regarded As Best – Haaland - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Messi Has To Retire For Someone Else To Be Regarded As Best – Haaland (20115 Views)

Massimiliano Allegri Snubs Ronaldo, Hails Messi As Best In The World / Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang Set To Retire / Dani Osvaldo: Lionel Messi Has 'No Life', Lives In A 'Golden Prison' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Messi Has To Retire For Someone Else To Be Regarded As Best – Haaland by Almiron: 5:53pm On Mar 05
Manchester City striker Erling Haaland has named Lionel Messi as the greatest footballer, agreeing that he needs to retire before any other player stands a chance of claiming that accolade.

The Argentine great beat the Norwegian striker to win an eighth Ballon d'Or in 2023 despite the Manchester City ace's success. Haaland was tipped by many to emerge as the winner of the 2023 Ballon d'Or and FIFA The Best Men's Player of the Year after his impressive season.

The 23-year-old had an all-time debut season with Manchester City, scoring 52 goals in 53 appearances as the Cityzens won the treble

The Norwegian striker was speaking with the media ahead of his side taking on FC Copenhagen in the UEFA Champions League Round of 16 second leg. He revealed that he considers the Inter Miami captain to be the greatest ever, and thinks that he has to retire for anyone else to be the best.

"Lionel Messi is the best player that has ever played football. Maybe he has to retire for someone else to be regarded as the best," he said (via Barca Universal).

The striker has enjoyed a hugely successful career since emerging as one of the world's finest talents in Austria. He has since grown in leaps and bounds to become the world's apex marksman but remains hungry for success.

When questioned about losing the Ballon d'Or to Lionel Messi in 2023, the Norwegian striker revealed that he wants to attain a great level of consistency. He told reporter Ian Cheeseman that even as he had won everything last season at 22, he wants to repeat the feat this season again.

"I’ve won it all but I’m only 23, so I want to win it all again," Haaland said.

Argentina star Messi is part of a select group of players to have won the treble twice in their careers, and Haaland is aiming to join that group.

Source: SPORTSkeeda

32 Likes

Re: Messi Has To Retire For Someone Else To Be Regarded As Best – Haaland by God1000(m): 6:07pm On Mar 05
Haaland is right

But Messi isn't competing or dragging anything with anyone anymore, he has won it all.

158 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Messi Has To Retire For Someone Else To Be Regarded As Best – Haaland by dietsono(m): 6:54pm On Mar 05
Can you imagine that, even Haaland is also of the opinion that Messi is obviously been favoured by the body that organises the award. In other words, FIFA PIKIN. I come in peace though grin grin grin

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Messi Has To Retire For Someone Else To Be Regarded As Best – Haaland by crossfm: 6:54pm On Mar 05
Hehehe.

Haaland just want to proof the fact that these generation of footballers are lazy and have no drive to strive to become the best.

Messi is a wonderful footballer,but he wasn't born the best. He put in work and determination to get to where he is today.
He dethroned the then world best,he didn't wait for the person to retire before he could be one.

Messi is 37,and this footballer is telling us that we have to wait for him to retire before another word best could emerge,this is ridiculous.
What are all the young players doing for God sake.

I don't blame these footballers,it's the clubs I blame.
A player who just kick ball for 6 months,they will sign the person for 100m 💷.

I was watching Rashford the other day,and I felt like crying. Upon all the money they are paying these guys,they still end up playing nothing.

Just look at Chelsea team,they look more like musicians than footballers. They care more about their hairstyles than the match they are playing.

The other Anthony in Man U, looks so disinterested in football. I could go on and on.

I remember the era when one could call up to 100 great footballers without flinching.
Today we have bunch of average footballers with bloated pay cheque.

111 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Messi Has To Retire For Someone Else To Be Regarded As Best – Haaland by geoworldedu: 6:54pm On Mar 05
Messi the greatest.
Singing and clapping.
Lord send another Messi to win da balon d'or.
Send Ronaldo, also send Zidane
To win world cup, champions league and win the olympic.
Lord I want to be another Messi here on nairaland...

Raise up your hands if you ever sing and clap to a Christian song that rhymes with this song when you are in children class of your church many years ago cheesy

I just realised that it is only Messi that won these three great cups among the other names I mentioned o shocked

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Messi Has To Retire For Someone Else To Be Regarded As Best – Haaland by iykofias(m): 6:54pm On Mar 05
CR7 fans will attack Haaland for stating the obvious, same player they supported with their last blood last year. Confused lots

64 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Messi Has To Retire For Someone Else To Be Regarded As Best – Haaland by arantess: 6:54pm On Mar 05
Messi has completed football...

21 Likes

Re: Messi Has To Retire For Someone Else To Be Regarded As Best – Haaland by Yugoslavia247(m): 6:54pm On Mar 05
Ronaldo fans will dig up mbappe interview to counter Haaland.

Lol

Messi is the destined Alexander the great of football soccer

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Messi Has To Retire For Someone Else To Be Regarded As Best – Haaland by MisterBanny(m): 6:54pm On Mar 05
Don't deceive yourself Haaland, you can't be the Best even if Messi retires. Your Tap-ins are too much, u don't know how to play good football

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Messi Has To Retire For Someone Else To Be Regarded As Best – Haaland by Austineva(m): 6:55pm On Mar 05
Messi bu Odogwu ✊
In one thousand years you won't see someone like Messi in Football. The guy na super genius.
God blessed him with everything, he is super blessed
Messi bu Odogwu✊✊✊

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Messi Has To Retire For Someone Else To Be Regarded As Best – Haaland by ArewaNightmare: 6:55pm On Mar 05
Una don come again

2 Likes

Re: Messi Has To Retire For Someone Else To Be Regarded As Best – Haaland by xpressionx(m): 6:56pm On Mar 05
Pain went straight to pendu fans

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi Has To Retire For Someone Else To Be Regarded As Best – Haaland by NOwazobia: 6:56pm On Mar 05
But Halaand doesn't have any spectacular play...

2 Likes

Re: Messi Has To Retire For Someone Else To Be Regarded As Best – Haaland by fredoooooo: 6:56pm On Mar 05
Even after retirement, he's still going to be the best .. we have Athletes nowadays but not Talent.. Messi is the MESSIah of football ⚽️ 👏 🙌 👌

93 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi Has To Retire For Someone Else To Be Regarded As Best – Haaland by CelestineNelson: 6:57pm On Mar 05
The whole earth knows that Messi is the only Football Goat and that Ronaldo is just living the shadow of Messi's destiny.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi Has To Retire For Someone Else To Be Regarded As Best – Haaland by haveMONEY: 6:57pm On Mar 05
Haaland no get chill ohh grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Messi Has To Retire For Someone Else To Be Regarded As Best – Haaland by Promismike(m): 6:57pm On Mar 05
Cant wait to see another generation of footballs as Messi and Ronaldo becomes history.

1 Like

Re: Messi Has To Retire For Someone Else To Be Regarded As Best – Haaland by stano2(m): 6:57pm On Mar 05
Lol… don’t give up
Re: Messi Has To Retire For Someone Else To Be Regarded As Best – Haaland by Almiron: 6:57pm On Mar 05
It's really lonely at the top

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi Has To Retire For Someone Else To Be Regarded As Best – Haaland by Phyde: 6:58pm On Mar 05
Case close....we can now rest and watch our football in peace. It takes a goat to know the real GOAT

10 Likes

Re: Messi Has To Retire For Someone Else To Be Regarded As Best – Haaland by Alaga2222(m): 6:58pm On Mar 05
MisterBanny:
Don't deceive yourself Haaland, you can't be the Best even if Messi retires. Your Tap-ins are too much, u don't know how to play good football

Salah is far better than him

6 Likes

Re: Messi Has To Retire For Someone Else To Be Regarded As Best – Haaland by FlatEarthGuy20(m): 6:58pm On Mar 05
No news here.. Messi na FIFA favorite boy

1 Like

Re: Messi Has To Retire For Someone Else To Be Regarded As Best – Haaland by Decentdave(m): 6:59pm On Mar 05
W
Re: Messi Has To Retire For Someone Else To Be Regarded As Best – Haaland by Risingblue008(m): 6:59pm On Mar 05
grin grin grin

I think say na penaldo be him goat

To MERCILESS MESSI

See u can't hate messi thats just it
I dey watch ball just becos of my GOAT

Thats guy is too good to be compared
If u doubt me

Ask ronaldo

12 Likes

Re: Messi Has To Retire For Someone Else To Be Regarded As Best – Haaland by ecolime(m): 6:59pm On Mar 05
Na mumu talk be this

This boys wants to be another Fifa favorite boy,

2 Likes

Re: Messi Has To Retire For Someone Else To Be Regarded As Best – Haaland by MrBrownJay1(m): 6:59pm On Mar 05
that same Messi that has already retired to yeye league?!

2 Likes

Re: Messi Has To Retire For Someone Else To Be Regarded As Best – Haaland by kelvindj98: 6:59pm On Mar 05
I agree. If Messi doesn't retire, coaches and captains will keep voting for him due to this world cup triumph. These awards are subjective and Messi's star power will see no one else collect it as long as he is still playing.

7 Likes

Re: Messi Has To Retire For Someone Else To Be Regarded As Best – Haaland by Magnificenttop: 7:00pm On Mar 05

18 Likes

Re: Messi Has To Retire For Someone Else To Be Regarded As Best – Haaland by Nahunger(m): 7:00pm On Mar 05
grin
Re: Messi Has To Retire For Someone Else To Be Regarded As Best – Haaland by oyeb15: 7:00pm On Mar 05
There can be none like Messi again. He's d greatest footballer ever.

He's d standard.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi Has To Retire For Someone Else To Be Regarded As Best – Haaland by AllahOfBlood: 7:01pm On Mar 05
angry
Re: Messi Has To Retire For Someone Else To Be Regarded As Best – Haaland by Chibuzoripob: 7:01pm On Mar 05
cool

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Blessing Okagbare Emerges World Best Sprinter / Nigeria’s Female 4 X 400m Relay Team Set New Record In Beijing This Morning / Robert Lewandowski Ruled Out Of UCL Return Leg Against Chelsea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.