Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,132 members, 7,821,872 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:39 PM

Why I Live In Mud House - Justice Mamman Nasir - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Live In Mud House - Justice Mamman Nasir (11850 Views)

Ibrahim Babangida As Mamman Vatsa's Bestman (Photo) / Yohana Mamman Dickson Is Dead (former Taraba State Governor) / #photo - Apc Vp Candidate Prof Osibanjo's Father Still Lives In A Mud House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Live In Mud House - Justice Mamman Nasir by aloyemeka4: 10:43pm On Nov 12, 2011
[size=14pt]Why I live in mud house[/size]
By BRUCE MALOGO
Sunday, November 13, 2011

Mamman Nasir

You retired from being the President of the Court of Appeal a few years ago and now you are back in Malumfashi, how has life been?
I retired comparatively long ago in 1992 and I was in the Court of Appeal since its inception when the idea of getting the court materialised, it’s the beginning of the Murtala regime, we were appointed, a few of us, to the Supreme Court.

At the time, Justice Daniel Ibekwe from Onitsha was the Attorney General, but he was a justice of the Supreme Court, when the decree was made, establishing the Court of Appeal. Two of us decided to leave the Supreme Court and go down to the Court of Appeal.

You and who?
Me and Justice Ibekwe, we were both then in the Supreme Court, Igbokwe from Onitsha and the two of us were sworn in, in December 1976 and the other justices were sworn in January 1977. That was the beginning of the Court of Appeal. Now, Ibekwe my good friend, we were in politics together, he was always with the President, Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe, and I was always with the Premier North, or the Prime Minister. So, on many occasions, we continued to fight politically and then later in the evening three of us would be together. The third one was Bola Ige who was with Chief Obafemi Awolowo. We were all of different political parties, but we were friends; we could discuss politics, take decisions according to what our leaders had decided, but socially we had always been friends.

So, Ibekwe and I went to the Court of Appeal together. Unfortunately, in 1978 he died but I was so close to him. When he opened the Kaduna branch, I was sent to Kaduna. That was his confidence in me. So, we enjoyed our stay together. Then after service in the Court of Appeal, this office came, of being the Galadiman Kaduna, which is one of the big chiefs under Kaduna Emirate and I was mentioned to be appointed. People like General Babangida, General Sani Abacha were all in support of my candidature. God willing, I was appointed Galadiman since 1992. Then I decided to retire before my retiring age.

You retired before you were statutorily appointed to retire. Why?
Because I thought I had done about 15 years there (Appeal Court). You don’t have to stay in service until the last minute or wait to be pushed out.

You just retired, you just decided it was time for you to go?
On my own, after getting the title in the office, I thought I should go home; I should come back and live here. So, I had to retire because I couldn’t combine being a serving justice and being under the Emir of Kaduna. Since then, I have been here.

And this house, one would have expected you to be living in a well-appointed, modern house. And here you are, once a top public official for many decades and a Nigerian – if you know what I mean – living in such ancient, mud house. Why did you choose to punish yourself this way?

That is part of the trouble of we Nigerians; we believe unless you live in a sky-scraper with air-conditioners all over, you are not a big man; you are not an honourable man, you are not anything. But, if you believe your culture is new, then go to a new house. If you want to live with your people with your culture, please, try to live with them – their own level, their own status, if possible below them in your accommodation, in what you are and so on. If you want to succeed, even in politics – which unfortunately is not happening nowadays – if you want to succeed, belong to the people; you know what they say about “the man of the people.” If you actualise it, it works.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/icon/2011/nov/13/icon-13-11-2011-001.html
Re: Why I Live In Mud House - Justice Mamman Nasir by 9ijaMan: 10:56pm On Nov 12, 2011
I suppose GEJ can learn from this this man!
Re: Why I Live In Mud House - Justice Mamman Nasir by ektbear: 1:36am On Nov 13, 2011
If one is not used to modern comforts (toilet, air-conditioning, electricity) and don't need 'em, then by all means go w/o.

I cannot imagine living in any hot place w/o air conditioning though, lol.
Re: Why I Live In Mud House - Justice Mamman Nasir by Jarus(m): 11:52am On Nov 13, 2011
I am not surprised. That is Hausa culture for you. I served in Ahmadu Bello's village, Rabah, Sokoto state, and the corpers lodge I stayed in was said to be built by Sardauna himself as guest house. Although they like cars, many of them are not big fans of houses. They try as much as possible to preserve their culture. It is in Sokoto state(Gudu village) that I saw a man using a car worth 1m but staying in a practically mud house. Even in eateries, there is provision for mats on the floor where the men sit to eat, to preserve their tradition.
Even Dangote's'house at Karimu Kotun in VI here, though still elegant, is only average when compared with less rich folks like Okoya etc.
Although some few modern ones can be arrogant.
Re: Why I Live In Mud House - Justice Mamman Nasir by aloyemeka4: 1:05pm On Nov 13, 2011
ekt_bear:

If one is not used to modern comforts (toilet, air-conditioning, electricity) and don't need 'em, then by all means go w/o.

I cannot imagine living in any hot place w/o air conditioning though, lol.

Mud houses are usually not hot.
Re: Why I Live In Mud House - Justice Mamman Nasir by ektbear: 11:06pm On Nov 13, 2011
aloy@emeka:

Mud houses are usually not hot.

If it gets hot outside, won't the mud house get hot too?
Re: Why I Live In Mud House - Justice Mamman Nasir by asha80(m): 11:14pm On Nov 13, 2011
ekt_bear:

If it gets hot outside, won't the mud house get hot too?

it gets cool.it if gets cold outside it gets warm inside
Re: Why I Live In Mud House - Justice Mamman Nasir by ektbear: 11:19pm On Nov 13, 2011
Lol. Yeah I didn't see her point either. . . still would need air-conditioning of some sort
Re: Why I Live In Mud House - Justice Mamman Nasir by VoodooDoll(m): 4:23am On Nov 14, 2011
Difficult to assess this without seeing pictures of the compound, the size of the compound or the cars in the compound. Also we have no confirmation that he has no other house (in his name or proxies).

Just because it is mud doesnt mean it is not fancy.
Re: Why I Live In Mud House - Justice Mamman Nasir by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 5:21am On Nov 14, 2011
A humble nigerian
Re: Why I Live In Mud House - Justice Mamman Nasir by Nobody: 7:15am On Nov 14, 2011
Yeah where is Macjive who said northerners are incapable of producing a good leader angry angry angry

This is a man who retired because his position as a servant of Nigeria would be compromised if at the same time he is also a servant to the emirate in Kaduna,
Re: Why I Live In Mud House - Justice Mamman Nasir by revomind(m): 9:15am On Nov 14, 2011
Good for Justice Nasir.

However, there's nothing like the Kaduna Emirate. Its the Zazzau Emirate. This is how these things start. Kaduna City is a neutral centre with no traditional ruler.
Re: Why I Live In Mud House - Justice Mamman Nasir by Nobody: 10:21am On Nov 14, 2011
I hear mud houses are usually very cool inside. I no go mind enter one.
Re: Why I Live In Mud House - Justice Mamman Nasir by Nobody: 10:28am On Nov 14, 2011
9ijaMan:

Why should anyone learn from this man?
How has living in a mud house helped his state?
We're trying to advance, not move back to the mud ages.
There are better ways to show ppl that you're humble.
Let him live in a decent house, so that his ppl can too acquire the necessity to achieve such goal.
Re: Why I Live In Mud House - Justice Mamman Nasir by Nobody: 10:36am On Nov 14, 2011
If this is for culture preservation, then I guess it's wonderful.
Re: Why I Live In Mud House - Justice Mamman Nasir by Nobody: 11:52am On Nov 14, 2011
Me no fit humble reach dis level ohhh, Lai lai mehnnnnnnnnnnn
Re: Why I Live In Mud House - Justice Mamman Nasir by nagoma(m): 12:02pm On Nov 14, 2011
@Ileke -Idi
Let him live in a decent house, so that his ppl can too acquire the necessity to achieve such goal

I dont think Justice Nasir is asking everybody to live in a mud house. What i understand is a lesson in humility and service. If you are this humble you may not need to steal billions of Naira of peoples money because you will not even know what to do with it. These are the kind of people who serve with all their might and with the knowledge of the temporariness of life. You will remember that Nasir was also a minister (the young Minister of Justice) in the Sardauna's Northern government .
This is definitely a humble man but you may please tell us some of the better ways you are talking about. Humility cannot be based on one action. Please educate us.
Re: Why I Live In Mud House - Justice Mamman Nasir by aloyemeka4: 12:31pm On Nov 14, 2011
Jarus:

I am not surprised. That is Hausa culture for you. I served in Ahmadu Bello's village, Rabah, Sokoto state, and the corpers lodge I stayed in was said to be built by Sardauna himself as guest house. Although they like cars, many of them are not big fans of houses. They try as much as possible to preserve their culture. It is in Sokoto state(Gudu village) that I saw a man using a car worth 1m but staying in a practically mud house. Even in eateries, there is provision for mats on the floor where the men sit to eat, to preserve their tradition.
Even Dangote's'house at Karimu Kotun in VI here, though still elegant, is only average when compared with less rich folks like Okoya etc.
Although some few modern ones can be arrogant.

In other words, it's not about humility rather, its about interest. They are more interested in flashy cars than building nice houses.Just like oyibos invest a huge sum of their savings on wrist watches, vintage cars, paintings, motorcycles, etc, but majority of the black people will rather die than invest huge amount of money in vintage cars or art work.
Re: Why I Live In Mud House - Justice Mamman Nasir by Nobody: 1:56pm On Nov 14, 2011
Please u guys should read all the story not only the head line. If u do that u will c dat the humility is not only in the mud house but how sardauna and ppl of his time live a simple life. And a point of correction to the sun newspaper he is a king maker and a traditional ruler in katsina emirate and not kaduna emirate.
Re: Why I Live In Mud House - Justice Mamman Nasir by 9ijaMan: 2:12pm On Nov 14, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Let him live in a decent house, so that his ppl can too acquire the necessity to achieve such goal.
nagoma:

@Ileke -Idi
I dont think Justice Nasir is asking everybody to live in a mud house. What i understand is a lesson in humility and service. If you are this humble you may not need to steal billions of Naira of peoples money because you will not even know what to do with it. These are the kind of people who serve with all their might and with the knowledge of the temporariness of life. You will remember that Nasir was also a minister (the young Minister of Justice) in the Sardauna's Northern government .
This is definitely a humble man but you may please tell us some of the better ways you are talking about. Humility cannot be based on one action. Please educate us.

Thanks nagoma for coming to my defence.
@Ileke-Idi,
I wasn't referring to lessons about living in mud houses, but lessons in humility and contentment rather than stealing and making empty barreled promises. Please read nagoma's response again as he's said it all.

aloy@emeka:

In other words, it's not about humility rather, its about interest. They are more interested in flashy cars than building nice houses.Just like oyibos invest a huge sum of their savings on wrist watches, vintage cars, paintings, motorcycles, etc, but majority of the black people will rather die than invest huge amount of money in vintage cars or art work.
It'a all about humility and nothing else. Buhari is not known to own a filling (gas) station let alone an oil block despite his years in government. These are people who are simply humble and happy with the little they have. The reverse is the case with those who are currently pillaging our common wealth in the disguise of ruling us.
Re: Why I Live In Mud House - Justice Mamman Nasir by kings112(m): 2:18pm On Nov 14, 2011
9ijaMan:

Why can't you people live Gej alone.
Small thing, Gej, ah ah
Re: Why I Live In Mud House - Justice Mamman Nasir by 9ijaMan: 2:20pm On Nov 14, 2011
kings112:

Why can't you people live Gej alone.
Small thing, Gej, ah ah
Sorry pal! If GEJ wants to be left alone, then he has no business in Aso Rock. I'll bet you that Nigerians will easily forget him if he vacates Aso Rock immediately and moves back to his fishing business in the creeks of the ND.
Re: Why I Live In Mud House - Justice Mamman Nasir by Dawgpound: 2:30pm On Nov 14, 2011
I am not impressed. It simply a personal choice. Is he still in power? Nope. He retired and chose to live in a mud house. Kini big deal?
Re: Why I Live In Mud House - Justice Mamman Nasir by kings112(m): 2:33pm On Nov 14, 2011
You mean a very rich man livin in an old model house is a sign of humility.
Then i hope he doznt hav a car-he should be travlin on horse or camel that is his culture.

9ijaMan:

Sorry pal! If GEJ wants to be left alone, then he has no business in Aso Rock. I'll bet you that Nigerians will easily forget him if he vacates Aso Rock immediately and moves back to his fishing business in the creeks of the ND.
Yes i agree with you, but the man is trying his best.
And i think we should alow him 2 do his work.Is not easy 4 a cool,lienent man like Gej 2 rule a country like nigeria.
If today u ar gvin the prezdent of this contri ,do tink u can do beta than him?
Re: Why I Live In Mud House - Justice Mamman Nasir by TBrownAuto(m): 2:45pm On Nov 14, 2011
I wonder how some people thinks what the luxury for when not needed, living in bricks house in a hot region is that ideal the man know what best for him MUd house in the hot region in mub get cooler simple ideal thing get a mud pot pour water in it put under the sun it get coller put same put in a cold rea it get warmer.

Ha some people are goatttttttttttt.
Re: Why I Live In Mud House - Justice Mamman Nasir by 9ijaMan: 2:46pm On Nov 14, 2011
kings112:

You mean a very rich man livin in an old model house is a sign of humility.
Then i hope he doznt hav a car-he should be travlin on horse or camel that is his culture.
Yes i agree with you, but the man is trying his best.
And i think we should alow him 2 do his work.Is not easy 4 a cool,lienent man like Gej 2 rule a country like nigeria.
If today u ar gvin the prezdent of this contri ,do tink u can do beta than him?
In response to the bold, the answer is a [size=20pt]BIG[/size] [size=15pt]YES[/size]!

In terms of trying his best, in a real world people like GEJ will never smell the corridors of power let alone becoming the president of a nation. Check out news about Italy and Greece recently, the prime ministers were forced out of government for far lesser problems which they are facing in those countries when compared to our nation. Yet all you and your likes can allude to is: "He's trying his best". My brother if GEJ's best is not enough to moven Nigeria an inch forward, he should honorably leave and let those who'll make the nation work step in.
Re: Why I Live In Mud House - Justice Mamman Nasir by kings112(m): 2:53pm On Nov 14, 2011
9ijaMan:

In response to the bold, the answer is a [size=20pt]BIG[/size] [size=15pt]YES[/size]!

In terms of trying his best, in a real world people like GEJ will never smell the corridors of power let alone becoming the president of a nation. Check out news about Italy and Greece recently, the prime ministers were forced out of government for far lesser problems which they are facing in those countries when compared to our nation. Yet all you and your likes can allude to is: "He's trying his best". My brother if GEJ's best is not enough to moven Nigeria an inch forward, he should honorably leave and let those who'll make the nation work step in.
but i guez u were among those dat voted him .Why now whyning?
And if i may ask if he resign who would tek over?
Re: Why I Live In Mud House - Justice Mamman Nasir by 9ijaMan: 3:00pm On Nov 14, 2011
kings112:

but i guez u were among those dat voted him .Why now whyning?
And if i may ask if he resign who would tek over?
I will understand your reasoning only if you are actually new to NL. In anycase, I was a complete supporter of GMB in the last and all previous elections in which he contested. I've known GEJ long enough never to entrust him with an LG chairmanship position let alone Nigerian President. It seems in your thoughts no one else is better to rule 9ja except GEJ. Well una deserve wetin una get o!
Re: Why I Live In Mud House - Justice Mamman Nasir by kings112(m): 3:21pm On Nov 14, 2011
9ijaMan:

I will understand your reasoning only if you are actually new to NL. In anycase, I was a complete supporter of GMB in the last and all previous elections in which he contested. I've known GEJ long enough never to entrust him with an LG chairmanship position let alone Nigerian President. It seems in your thoughts no one else is better to rule 9ja except GEJ. Well una deserve wetin una get o!
Well! Am not a Gej sopoter
but i hope dat evry get better soon.
Kai! But 4 u 2 say dat Gej is not compitent 2 rule even a Lg is totaly out of statement.
Re: Why I Live In Mud House - Justice Mamman Nasir by owobokiri(m): 3:25pm On Nov 14, 2011
Stagnation should never be a pride of any culture. Every society moves forward by developing her cultural instruments. There were ancient houses in the west at a point but they improved on that to biuld something more conducive for human habitation. I think its about time the North stops being fanatical about certain things. This idea of maintaining a culture of mud houses biult with little structural evaluations is wrong. I have read of many places in the north where sudden rain led to huge loss of human lives as a result collapsed mud houses. They also pratically lock up the windows thereby making the house too hot for those who stay inside most times-the women. The Sahara is advancing, ozone layer is depleting, the warming of the environment will create more deseases as everywhere gets hotter, especially areas close to the desert . Time to biuld bigger houses that are strong, well ventilated and well planned/structured. Modeernization should not be demonized as a western thing, or termed "new culture" , it is for all humanity.

1 Like

Re: Why I Live In Mud House - Justice Mamman Nasir by yme1(f): 3:32pm On Nov 14, 2011
Buildings that incorporate the use of clay are particularly vulnerable to deterioration and deserving of care and maintenance, so I wonder what the hype about living in mud house is about undecided
But again its his culture and he believes living with his people involve not trying to change anything about it which is cool
Re: Why I Live In Mud House - Justice Mamman Nasir by kings112(m): 3:37pm On Nov 14, 2011
owobokiri:

Stagnation should never be a pride of any culture. Every society moves forward by developing her cultural instruments. There were ancient houses in the west at a point but they improved on that to biuld something more conducive for human habitation. I think its about time the North stops being fanatical about certain things. This idea of maintaining a culture of mud houses biult with little structural evaluations is wrong. I have read of many places in the north where sudden rain led to huge loss of human lives as a result collapsed mud houses. They also pratically lock up the windows thereby making the house too hot for those who stay inside most times-the women. The Sahara is advancing, ozone layer is depleting, the warming of the environment will create more deseases as everywhere gets hotter, especially areas close to the desert . Time to biuld bigger houses that are strong, well ventilated and well planned/structured. Modeernization should not be demonized as a western thing, or termed "new culture" , it is for all humanity.
dont mind the ooooooooold man.
He has no enof money 2 build a modern house simple.

(1) (2) (Reply)

6-Year-Old Boy Rescued From Boko Haram Captivity By Soldiers (Photo) / Anthony Usoro Resigns, To Join APC / Zaria Transport Institute Can Design Made-In-Nigeria Vehicles — Amaechi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.