Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,921 members, 7,817,697 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:33 PM

‘we Now Feed Once Daily’ – Families Cry Out Over High Cost Of Living - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘we Now Feed Once Daily’ – Families Cry Out Over High Cost Of Living (294 Views)

Subsidy Removal: FG Shocked Over High Food, Transportation Costs / I’m ‘Sweating’ Over High Cost Of Diesel – Obasanjo Laments / Nigerians Cry Out Over High Cost Of Cooking Gas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘we Now Feed Once Daily’ – Families Cry Out Over High Cost Of Living by Ofunaofu: 10:48am On Mar 06
Many Nigerian citizens are crying out over the hike in the cost of living, as prices of food items, building materials, and other essential services soar.

Some parents told DAILY POST they could only feed their family members once daily.

Prices of commodities, including foodstuffs, have been majorly affected by the fluctuation of the exchange rate and inflation.

This was affirmed by the United Nations World Food Programme, WFP, wherein, it announced its reviewing its local food procurement.

A statement by the UN’s Country Director and Representative in Nigeria, David Stevenson on Tuesday said: “Last week, a WFP monitoring mission in Borno, Yobe, and Kano states confirmed unprecedented inflation rates, and high food price rises caused by market speculations.

“This poses significant challenges for Nigerians, particularly those who are displaced, are unable to farm, and are dependent on markets to access food.”

A recent survey indicated that a popular food eaten in most Nigerian homes, noodles, witnessed a surge in price ranging from N17,500 to N18,000 per carton (120g super pack) from N11,140 it sold earlier in February this year.

The survey carried out by DAILY POST on Saturday in Wuse, Dutse and Utako markets showed that prices of noodles increased by 38.1 per cent in two weeks.

The new price represents a N12,500 (67 per cent) increment compared to the N6,000 per carton it was sold in February last year.

Also, the price of a bag of sachet water popularly called “pure water” increased from N250 to about N500 and N700.

Commenting on the situation, a school teacher based in Makurdi, the Benue State capital, who gave her name as Tolu, lamented the current hardship.

She told DAILY POST that: “The economic hardship is telling on everyone; we can barely eat; when we eat once daily, we thank God for that.”

She also lamented that the high cost of living was taking a toll on the academic sector as schools were planning to hike their fees.

“Most schools have already increased their fees at the beginning of the session, so I don’t know if there will still be a further increment,” she added.

In a similar vein, an online beauty vendor, Deborah, lamented that it was affecting her business and lifestyle.

“The economy has been going from bad to worse in the recent weeks and the only way my family and I have been managing is by cutting down on our spending, thereby, getting only items that are necessary.

“As for feeding, we have been eating only twice a day, which is in the morning and then at night,” Deborah told DAILY POST.

An Abuja-based barber, Anas also lamented that Nigerians were struggling to feed.

He told DAILY POST: “The hardship now is tough and families are finding it difficult to feed, we are just managing.

“At this point, some men have abandoned their wives due to the prevailing economic situation. It appears the government has no solution to the problem.”

Also, while stressing that the economic hardship was taking a toll on his family, an Okada rider, who identified himself as Musa, said it had become unbearable.

“Everything is expensive in the market now; I’m just managing to feed my family once daily from the little I make from my work.

“Tinubu’s administration is worse than Buhari’s regime.

“Even garri, which used to be a common food, has never been this expensive,” he told our correspondent.

https://dailypost.ng/2024/03/06/we-now-feed-once-daily-families-cry-out-over-high-cost-of-living/
Re: ‘we Now Feed Once Daily’ – Families Cry Out Over High Cost Of Living by EzeChukwuIgbo: 10:50am On Mar 06
May God deliver us from people selling their babies, killing their children and others because of hunger, we even heard one hungry woman with three children ran naked into a car to escape hunger, leaving the children she brought to the world for the hunger.
Re: ‘we Now Feed Once Daily’ – Families Cry Out Over High Cost Of Living by Watianoengineer(m): 10:52am On Mar 06
Feeding once daily has its advantages as it helps reduces obesity and diabetes. Too much consumption of food is detrimental to our health. Let's try to persevere and endure a little longer as President Tinubu is working extremely hard to fix our economy. His renewed hope agenda and track record in Lagos should give us hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Let's support our President and pray God grant him good health as he strives to turn our country into an economic Giant.
Re: ‘we Now Feed Once Daily’ – Families Cry Out Over High Cost Of Living by MasterJayJay: 10:54am On Mar 06
EzeChukwuIgbo:
May God deliver us
Una go vote Tinubulation, come dey call God for help. Funny people.
God should deliver you from what?
From Tinubulation?

1 Like

Re: ‘we Now Feed Once Daily’ – Families Cry Out Over High Cost Of Living by EzeChukwuIgbo: 10:58am On Mar 06
MasterJayJay:

Una go vote Tinubulation, come dey call God for help. Funny people.

God should deliver you from what?

From Tinubulation?
You didn't allow me to finish my comment before you show your anger, is that how frustrated you are?
Re: ‘we Now Feed Once Daily’ – Families Cry Out Over High Cost Of Living by Nbote(m): 11:04am On Mar 06
They'll soon attack people complainng for being obedients
Re: ‘we Now Feed Once Daily’ – Families Cry Out Over High Cost Of Living by perfectsusanoo(m): 11:16am On Mar 06
We have it all and we are still calling for help. One day i shall own an assassination team-robin hood standard. Till then, keep on wailing over something y'all dont wanna solve. Keep on playing.
Re: ‘we Now Feed Once Daily’ – Families Cry Out Over High Cost Of Living by pennytration(m): 11:45am On Mar 06
better to suffer now and enjoy later
Re: ‘we Now Feed Once Daily’ – Families Cry Out Over High Cost Of Living by Ofunaofu: 11:56am On Mar 06
pennytration:

Is this the lie they told you

1 Like

Re: ‘we Now Feed Once Daily’ – Families Cry Out Over High Cost Of Living by Didijiji: 12:05pm On Mar 06
Government said subsidy is gone yet paying more subsidies

Dollar is over 1.6k

How else can a government be wicked and clueless
Re: ‘we Now Feed Once Daily’ – Families Cry Out Over High Cost Of Living by Truths9ja: 12:07pm On Mar 06
Foodstuffs are much costly in our markets today. Very unbearable
Re: ‘we Now Feed Once Daily’ – Families Cry Out Over High Cost Of Living by IduNaOba: 12:09pm On Mar 06
Our darling daddy is on your case.
When una dey vote am una no know?
Re: ‘we Now Feed Once Daily’ – Families Cry Out Over High Cost Of Living by Br4life: 3:08pm On Mar 06
Watianoengineer:
Feeding once daily has its advantages as it helps reduces obesity and diabetes. Too much consumption of food is detrimental to our health. Let's try to persevere and endure a little longer as President Tinubu is working extremely hard to fix our economy. His renewed hope agenda and track record in Lagos should give us hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Let's support our President and pray God grant him good health as he strives to turn our country into an economic Giant.
I hope dis sarcasm if not you should go and take your medicine

1 Like

Re: ‘we Now Feed Once Daily’ – Families Cry Out Over High Cost Of Living by Br4life: 3:08pm On Mar 06
pennytration:
why are they not suffering with u

1 Like

Re: ‘we Now Feed Once Daily’ – Families Cry Out Over High Cost Of Living by Racoon(m): 3:14pm On Mar 06
The red signs were staring everyone in the face but some deranged fellas went ahead to foist another catastrophe upon this nation. Ajekun iya ni yi o je.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

JUST IN: Army Confirms Explosion At Ikeja Cantonment / Why We Profess Islam Despite Discrimination In S’east – Igbo Muslims / President Tinubu's Appointees From The North Must Take A Stand

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.