Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,863 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:32 PM

60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN (15872 Views)

Akpabio: 60% Of NDDC Contracts Are Awarded to National Assembly Members / TCN Confirms Collapse Of National Grid / Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by bishop212(m): 10:05am On Mar 08
i say when it comes to talking and giving sUPposedly intelligent speeches, nigerian leaders are unmatched. thats only what they are good for, talking!!。
whosE fault is it that only 2.25 percent of the 13million registered nigerians have been metered? are they (the govt) not the ones refusing to gv pple prepared meters? go to nepa offices around u or betterstill, go to marina, the hq. you will see thousands of prepaid meters laying in waste, some have spoilt, rottening away etc. who were the meters meant for? not nigerians? these things were meant to be given for a token, but they will want u to come and pay huge money for it, before it gets to u, u will bribe heaven and earth.
secondly, they themselves are very reluctant to release it necause of the bribe they get from cutting and reconnecting peiples wires, they are so used to that monies,so installing prepaid meters will mean an end to it so they rather prefer they keep carrying ladders up and down to cut wires and collect bribe than giving u prepaid meters. even when they give u meters, u will see rolled over bills already in it. the units u get for a 1000naira care is ridiculously small so tell me why ppl wont bypass? moreover, its even nepa guys that run the bypass for them.

ANybody taking his or HER time to listen to this ppl talk will only get entertained。if its action, forget it

2 Likes

Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by ericmor: 10:08am On Mar 08
The new meter can't be bypass and they do hang it where you can't even tamper with it and if you try it,, it will enter tampered code and it will require a PHCN staff to correct it from their head quarter. The way they monitor those meter self will not give you the chance to bypass it and if you do and get caught, you will be fined heavily. Another thing they do is that they get their funds from transformer reading, for those without meter, they over bill those people with the excuse of, that is what the transformer is reading about power consumed in the area and they need to recover the amount. So what that one is saying is just a false excuses. They are all looters

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by nairalanda1(m): 10:11am On Mar 08
Elsueno:

The fact that U actually believe discos would allow a whopping 60% of d ordinary citizens to be enjoying free electricity makes me even say, do U actually think some of d garbage these incompetent people dish out are worth defending.

Same NEPA dat literally cuts power to universities, even soldiers Barack if them refuse to pay 4 power after ultimatum...Stop capping nigga, discos hardly make those kind of losses, They always allocate power to areas sat pay & ignore d rest or outright cut them off

Okay, enjoy what you paid for. I mean the darkness you paid for.

Like APC, Lkie government, like tinubu, like the followers.

As for me, abuse me as much as you want, not paying for power is why we don't have light...and it is wrong.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by nairalanda1(m): 10:13am On Mar 08
hotplate:
See let me make example with MTN for instance, how dose it make sense that you are unable to browse or make call because their mast near you has a problem only for MTN to ask everybody to contribute to fix the mast. is that how a proper business should run? this is exactly what PHCN is doing. There are people who use MTN browsing cheat, various codes to bypass the system but MTN don't charge people to fix their facilities because it is their responsibility to wield out those who bypass the system and not throw everybody in darkness for their inability.

MTN would never ASK anyone to contribute to fix the mast because all of its customers ARE PAYING FOR THE SERVICE RENDERED.

SO, they have the money to fix things.

The power companies cannot do that BECAUSE..most people don't pay, and those who pay, pay a tarrif that is not cost reflective.

See the problem?

Or maybe not.

2 Likes

Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by descarado: 10:44am On Mar 08
All big men bypass their metres. All politicians in Abuja do that. A known secret.
Nigerians will always be Nigerians

2 Likes

Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by Judolisco(m): 10:47am On Mar 08
Barrywilly:
That's not 100% correct. Bypass is only possible with the old phcn prepaid metres. Modern metres have sensors installed in them making it impossible to bypass as it will trigger an alarm that is very high and disturbing immediately it is tampered with.
code dey to off alarm... Lol.. grin
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by nairalanda1(m): 10:49am On Mar 08
descarado:
All big men bypass their metres. All politicians in Abuja do that. A known secret.
Nigerians will always be Nigerians

Yes, and the poor too

And they all wouild complain of poor service. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by FireUpNow(m): 10:50am On Mar 08
The way you this electricity companies reap off those unmetered customers witbestimated bills . Oga TCN can lie for Africa sha.

1 Like

Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by descarado: 10:53am On Mar 08
nairalanda1:

Yes, and the poor too

And they all wouild complain of poor service. cheesy
Where will poor man see money to pay Nepa staff or good electrician to bypass meter for him or you thing its not expensive doing that.
I have even seen a pastor who byassed. As in a pastor.

1 Like

Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by nairalanda1(m): 10:56am On Mar 08
descarado:

Where will poor man see money to ay Nepal staff or good electrician to bypass meter for him or you thing its not expensive doing that.
I have even seen a pastor who byassed. As in a pastor.

To be honest, the poor are seeing money to pay for airtime...and some other things.

Problem with things is, things cost money...power included. I know people are poor in this country, but all the things that go into giving us a kwh of power cost money, and people love to be paid.

RIght now, GENCOS Owe the gas companies 1.3 billion dollars, the discos are not making enough to pay gencos and tcn, and all this is being exaxertbated by people who don't pay.

People are poor in Ghana, Ivory coast, yet because they pay more for power, dem get light.

2 Likes

Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by drlateef: 12:02pm On Mar 08
nairalanda1:

Ya think the tenants don't know they are violating the law?

If they did not know, then either they have low IQ or they are being deceitful.

It is mostly because of folk like them that we don't have light

Are you serious Someone preferring solutions is the one that prevents you from having light? Have you drank burukutu this morning? No single tenant can singlehandedly stop electricity workers. It is the crowd that supports them that is the problem. Because the crowd believes that nepa has been unjust to people. If you then use the tactic of blackmail by publishing the names etc before attending the property to disconnect, the job is made easier. I am just an innocent adviser trying to help them find solutions and you are accusing me of wrong doing? You must be drunk or something!!!
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by princefunm: 12:03pm On Mar 08
60%

If you know that 60% bypass meters, what have you done about the 60%.

Only 2% of the population is metered. Why is that

Is it energy poverty like he says.....or is it stomach infrastructure?

To get a meter, you have to pay for it. For a company that sells energy, it is a slap on your consumers' face that they have to pay for the device that you will use to render a service that they have to pay for.

Even after they make the payments, the meters take forever to arrive, if they arrive at all.

Same thing for transformers. You are serving a community with power that you charge them for and yet you still expect them to pay for a transformer that is not theirs.

Honestly ehn, these days when I see a high table in a meeting like this, all my mind sees are monkeys cackling at a table.

Every time I walk into an office of public service, I always have to make a conscious effort not to look down on the staff. I tend to look at them like morons and monkeys without brains. Sometimes I am even amazed when I see a civil servant speak with sense and articulation.

Such is the decay and waste that corruption has laid upon this country.

1 Like

Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by Kukutenla: 12:05pm On Mar 08
nairalanda1:

SO, if you were running a business, that means that people can come and collect things for free?

Oga, drop politcs, drop all this Marxist nonsese you are chanting here....the thing is, businesses need to make a profit to run well, and if people are not paying anything for service, palaver will result.

It is a simple matter, and it does not require you to lose your mind and abuse me...or anyone.

Nothing to do with any government. Pay for service, company makes profit, service improves. GSM ran on that model, and we went from awful service, to improved service.

But no, na to abuse you people know....because at the end, ye know I am right, and you are worng. But the internet does not hand out prices for being right. It hands out prices for whoever has the most likes...even if it is wrong.

Anyway, enjoy your no light.
You're very wrong. You have always been wrong.
There's no politics involved. You don't offer people poor services and say it's because I'm not making money.
A mechanic who collected 2000 per service and damages cars will not see any customer while one who collects 4000 per service and does a good job will get more customers despite his higher price.
I have already debunked your lazy analogy of telcos with facts which you can't dispute yet you keep claiming you're right.
People are already embracing solar more and more. The electricity coys will die a sure death if the trend continues.
Paying for service does not guarantee improved services and there are multiple examples to buttress that fact. You make that claim to excuse incompetence. If payment for services guarantees improvement, banks like Union Bank shouldn't be trailing access, gt and co that just started out in the late 80s. Banks like CDB and SGBN should still exist. You're wrong on all counts. You give good service then demand payment. Any other thing is fraud.

2 Likes

Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by gaskiyamagana: 12:07pm On Mar 08
nairalanda1:

How will PHCN Pay for the transformers, electric poles, meters, wires, etc...when 60% of meters are bypassed, government agencies are not paying their bills, Aso Rock no dey pay, and people are refusing to pay outright self?

You are paying for the wires, et al, because most of the customer base is not paying their bills at all.

DO you pay for GSM antenna and wires? No, because you cannot bypass a phone and use GSM services without paying something. SO, they MTN and airtel and co all make profit to expand services and pay for wires and antenna and fuel, and so forth.Sadly the power sector does not have that option.
In law establishing PHCN, are the customers or the company supposed to provide electric poles and transformers?
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by Kukutenla: 12:10pm On Mar 08
nairalanda1:

MTN would never ASK anyone to contribute to fix the mast because all of its customers ARE PAYING FOR THE SERVICE RENDERED.

SO, they have the money to fix things.

The power companies cannot do that BECAUSE..most people don't pay, and those who pay, pay a tarrif that is not cost reflective.

See the problem?

Or maybe not.
Ok so, any particular month that those who use cheat codes are able to get into MTN for free, by your analogy, MTN will ask people to pay for fueling masts then.
Or MTN will simply withdraw their services for that month while insisting the customers continue to buy cards.
Very smart business model

2 Likes

Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by nairalanda1(m): 12:32pm On Mar 08
Kukutenla:

Ok so, any particular month that those who use cheat codes are able to get into MTN for free, by your analogy, MTN will ask people to pay for fueling masts then.
Or MTN will simply withdraw their services for that month while insisting the customers continue to buy cards.

Oga, just forget. You want free power .
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by nairalanda1(m): 12:33pm On Mar 08
gaskiyamagana:

In law establishing PHCN, are the customers or the company supposed to provide electric poles and transformers?

SO, how would the power sector provide good services when people are not paying for service, by bypassing meter?

Or all the good things that GSM companies provide, you think they would be able to do that if most of their customers do not pay?

The difference between GSM and power companies is simple. You cannot use MTN service without paying...and MTN reserves the right to set their prices. Power companies cannot do the same.

1 Like

Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by nairalanda1(m): 12:34pm On Mar 08
Kukutenla:

You're very wrong. You have always been wrong.

Well, people don't pay for a service, and then expect to get that service, that's magical thinking, it is.
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by nairalanda1(m): 12:35pm On Mar 08
drlateef:

Are you serious Someone preferring solutions is the one that prevents you from having light? Have you drank burukutu this morning? No single tenant can singlehandedly stop electricity workers. It is the crowd that supports them that is the problem. Because the crowd believes that nepa has been unjust to people. If you then use the tactic of blackmail by publishing the names etc before attending the property to disconnect, the job is made easier. I am just an innocent adviser trying to help them find solutions and you are accusing me of wrong doing? You must be drunk or something!!!

SO, at the end, when you run a business and people don't pay for your service, you may as well just say that it is your fault, and not the fault of people who do not pay at all.

The way you guys justify bad things, no wonder you never get good leaders.

2 Likes

Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by nairalanda1(m): 12:37pm On Mar 08
Kukutenla:

Yes, and the problem is, the power companies cannot do that, because it requires too much logistics...and because people threaten them, chase them and so forth.

SO, back to square one.

At the end of the day, we have bad service because we don't pay for good service. It has nothing to do with politics.

2 Likes

Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by nairalanda1(m): 12:39pm On Mar 08
FireUpNow:
The way you this electricity companies reap off those unmetered customers witbestimated bills . Oga TCN can lie for Africa sha.

They are ripping them off because

1. They cannot charge a cost reflective tarrif

2.People are not paying by bypassing the meter, and by stealing power. Or by not paying, like your leaders., and many others.

At the end, when a guy or girl is running a business where most customers are not paying, they would rip off those who pay, because if they don't they would collapse.

2 Likes

Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by InvertedHammer: 12:51pm On Mar 08
Stephench:
This is a complete lie. Bypassing is not as easy they made it seem. The consequences of being caught is very high even their staff don't want to get involved no matter how much they'll get paid.
/
Isn't bypassing of meter a way of getting energy before it gets to the meter and directing it to end user units. How difficult can it be? The only challenge is concealment. Otherwise it is as easy as it can get.

/

3 Likes

Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by iceflex(m): 12:55pm On Mar 08
It's true but bribe to Mush! Last week the monitoring team raid my street in Ibadan na money dem demand. Now tell me the person that was caught won't they repeat the same thing. 9ja na korrupt kontiri

2 Likes

Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by drlateef: 1:28pm On Mar 08
nairalanda1:

SO, at the end, when you run a business and people don't pay for your service, you may as well just say that it is your fault, and not the fault of people who do not pay at all.

The way you guys justify bad things, no wonder you never get good leaders.

You don’t seem to understand anything. If someone owes you money, do you sit down and wait for government to help you collect your debt?

1 Like

Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by nairalanda1(m): 1:30pm On Mar 08
drlateef:

You don’t seem to understand anything. If someone owes you money, do you sit down and wait for government to help you collect your debt?

They have been trying. People chase them with Cutlass. Nigerians clap for the defaulters. There aren't enough police and judges to help jail the defaulters.

At the end, Nigerians need to realize there is nothing like free stuff

2 Likes

Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by Tywo2018: 1:57pm On Mar 08
Ok because am using Prepaidi should not use whateveri like?
Khariza:
Quite true. However, it can't be up to 60%.

There are some coded electricians that can alter the operations of some of those meters. However, they would not do it for every and anybody. It's highly coded.
I know someone in particular, morning and night his air conditioning units are always on. In fact, most times even with no one at home, once there's power from the grid, you will hear both outer units working full blast.

1 Like

Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by saintneo(m): 2:21pm On Mar 08
Stephench:
This is a complete lie. Bypassing is not as easy they made it seem. The consequences of being caught is very high even their staff don't want to get involved no matter how much they'll get paid.

The staff get involved biko, especially the linesman.

The problem I have with my landlord now is because I rejected his plan to bypass my meter which an Ikeja electric staff advised him to do.

2 Likes

Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by ufuosman(m): 2:31pm On Mar 08
Linus
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by Kukutenla: 2:31pm On Mar 08
nairalanda1:

Oga, just forget. You want free power .
Bla blabla free power.
I can bet I spend more on power than you do.
I'm just not self-deluded into thinking the Discos are not the problem
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by Kukutenla: 2:35pm On Mar 08
nairalanda1:

SO, how would the power sector provide good services when people are not paying for service, by bypassing meter?

Or all the good things that GSM companies provide, you think they would be able to do that if most of their customers do not pay?

The difference between GSM and power companies is simple. You cannot use MTN service without paying...and MTN reserves the right to set their prices. Power companies cannot do the same.
MTN does not reserve the right to set prices. There's a ceiling they are not allowed to set above.
Stop lying

1 Like

Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by Kukutenla: 2:36pm On Mar 08
nairalanda1:

Yes, and the problem is, the power companies cannot do that, because it requires too much logistics...and because people threaten them, chase them and so forth.

SO, back to square one.

At the end of the day, we have bad service because we don't pay for good service. It has nothing to do with politics.
What do you mean Yes? Can you give me an example of when MTN charged their customers for a breach of their billing system?
We have bad service because Discos are incompetent.
End of story
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by drlateef: 2:41pm On Mar 08
nairalanda1:

They have been trying. People chase them with Cutlass. Nigerians clap for the defaulters. There aren't enough police and judges to help jail the defaulters.

At the end, Nigerians need to realize there is nothing like free stuff

Why did they take up the contract snd even bribeb their way if they knew they can’t cope?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Jonathan Didnt Meet Amaechi At The Dinner For Security Reason / Edgal Imohinmi Replaces Fatai Owoseni As Lagos State Commissioner Of Police / Soldier Begs Churches To Pray For Soldiers Fighting Boko Haram. See Reactions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.