Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,442 members, 7,819,638 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:41 PM

60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN (15861 Views)

Akpabio: 60% Of NDDC Contracts Are Awarded to National Assembly Members / TCN Confirms Collapse Of National Grid / Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by lacasera14(m): 2:47pm On Mar 08
See who is complaining. As if they've not been cheating Nigerians since with bloated bills. Nigerians have been paying and are still paying for electricity they don't use. Focus on delivering steady power before you talk about bypassing. Bypass only works in areas where there is steady light.
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by nairalanda1(m): 2:50pm On Mar 08
drlateef:

Why did they take up the contract snd even bribeb their way if they knew they can’t cope?

At the end, you just want cheap power.
Nothing is cheap, old boy. Nothing.
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by nairalanda1(m): 2:52pm On Mar 08
Kukutenla:

What do you mean Yes? Can you give me an example of when MTN charged their customers for a breach of their billing system?
We have bad service because Discos are incompetent.
End of story
Kukutenla:

MTN does not reserve the right to set prices. There's a ceiling they are not allowed to set above.
Stop lying
Kukutenla:

Bla blabla free power.
I can bet I spend more on power than you do.
I'm just not self-deluded into thinking the Discos are not the problem

You just want free stuff. At the end, no matter how you wish and wish, nothing is free. It is a harsh fact of life.

Even you, you won't give your service for free to help the poor. You would want to be paid.

The way you are yelling about the fact shows that you want cheap things even when it costs too much. You want to buy a ferrari for N2000.

I don't think you are prepared to face reality.
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by Kukutenla: 3:12pm On Mar 08
nairalanda1:

You just want free stuff. At the end, no matter how you wish and wish, nothing is free. It is a harsh fact of life.

Even you, you won't give your service for free to help the poor. You would want to be paid.

The way you are yelling about the fact shows that you want cheap things even when it costs too much. You want to buy a ferrari for N2000.

I don't think you are prepared to face reality.

Lol. Why should a ferrari cost more than N2000?
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by nairalanda1(m): 3:19pm On Mar 08
Kukutenla:

Lol. Why should a ferrari cost more than N2000?

See, you want free stuff. At the end, a ferrari cannot cost less than N2000 as this comment of yours seems to imply

I end it here. You are not interested in a discussion . You just want everything for free. That at the end is not rational thinking.

In the real world, people like to be paid. That is why the real cost of power is way above the N70 per kwh it is charged at here...
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by Kukutenla: 3:31pm On Mar 08
nairalanda1:

See, you want free stuff. At the end, a ferrari cannot cost less than N2000 as this comment of yours seems to imply

I end it here. You are not interested in a discussion . You just want everything for free. That at the end is not rational thinking.

In the real world, people like to be paid. That is why the real cost of power is way above the N70 per kwh it is charged at here...
If a ferrari should cost more than 2000, how much do you think a Toyota should cost
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by nairalanda1(m): 3:33pm On Mar 08
Kukutenla:

If a ferrari should cost more than 2000, how much do you think a Toyota should cost

LIke I said, it's no use. Una want free power. Everyone who disagrees with you, you abuse them and mock them

SO, enjoy your views. cheesy
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by chichima5764: 3:52pm On Mar 08
A lot of people bypass their Meter around ketu area. I advised my mum not to follow suite as advised by her electrician cos I know one of her tenant will snitch on her.A lot of people bypass their Meter around ketu area. I advised my mum not to follow suite as advised by her electrician cos I know one of her tenant will snitch on her....

1 Like

Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by Kukutenla: 4:16pm On Mar 08
nairalanda1:

LIke I said, it's no use. Una want free power. Everyone who disagrees with you, you abuse them and mock them

SO, enjoy your views. cheesy
Quit playing the victim with your sanctimonious posturing.
No one insults or mocks more than you on this platform.
The point I was making which you're obviously running from is that a ferrari and Toyota offer same services if automotive. But one is priced more than the other.
The value you place on them is determined by the perception of their quality of service and not their need to make profit.
If it's about profit, Toyota should be more pricey than a ferrari since it obviously makes more money.
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by nairalanda1(m): 4:18pm On Mar 08
Kukutenla:

Quit playing the victim with your sanctimonious posturing.
No one insults or mocks more than you on this platform.
The point I was making which you're obviously running from is that a ferrari and Toyota offer same services if automotive. But one is priced more than the other.
The value you place on them is determined by the perception of their quality of service and not their need to make profit.
If it's about profit, Toyota should be more pricey than a ferrari since it obviously makes more money.

See how you just mock.

Good evening. I will trobule you no more. Enjoy your free power.
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by hotplate: 5:24pm On Mar 08
nairalanda1:

MTN would never ASK anyone to contribute to fix the mast because all of its customers ARE PAYING FOR THE SERVICE RENDERED.

SO, they have the money to fix things.

The power companies cannot do that BECAUSE..most people don't pay, and those who pay, pay a tarrif that is not cost reflective.

See the problem?

Or maybe not.

Yes I see the problem, MTN is responsive enough to ensure that those who don't pay for the service would not get it. Something PHCN hasn't done. Make meter accessible to the people and make power available then I don't see any reason why anyone wouldn't pay for it. PHCN services which is electricity is as important as MTN service so even if na 1k if you need light you go buy am... The template is achievable let them just do the proper thing and cover loop holes and stop making excuses
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by nairalanda1(m): 5:49pm On Mar 08
hotplate:

Yes I see the problem, MTN is responsive enough to ensure that those who don't pay for the service would not get it. Something PHCN hasn't done. Make meter accessible to the people and make power available then I don't see any reason why anyone wouldn't pay for it. PHCN services which is electricity is as important as MTN service so even if na 1k if you need light you go buy am... The template is achievable let them just do the proper thing and cover loop holes and stop making excuses

Mtn can afford to be responsive because you cannot use a phone without paying. And because they can set their prices.

The power sector can't.Government does not let them set their prices and many people use power without paying, including the people who bypass meter.
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by staneless(m): 7:04pm On Mar 08
They should make their charge rate cheap or increase minimum wage
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by Tracey000000900(m): 7:12pm On Mar 08
70k text me via WhatsApp 08106199791

bluefilm:
Who will teach me how to bypass those meters?
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by gaskiyamagana: 7:51pm On Mar 08
nairalanda1:

SO, how would the power sector provide good services when people are not paying for service, by bypassing meter?

Or all the good things that GSM companies provide, you think they would be able to do that if most of their customers do not pay?

The difference between GSM and power companies is simple. You cannot use MTN service without paying...and MTN reserves the right to set their prices. Power companies cannot do the same.
Stop beating around the bush.
What is relevant of your response to the question : "In the law establishing PHCN, was it customer or PHCN supposed to provide electric poles and transformers ?
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by nairalanda1(m): 8:06pm On Mar 08
gaskiyamagana:

Stop beating around the bush.
What is relevant of your response to the question : "In the law establishing PHCN, was it customer or PHCN supposed to provide electric poles and transformers ?

Yeah and can phcn provide all the stuff you want when a large percentage of customers are not paying?

Like how can they get the money to pay for all they need now that the thing is largely private meaning they have to earn money from what people pay?

Or you think that discos and gencos have a magical box of money that brings it out on demand?

If you want to enjoy power without paying better say so and stop arguing with me.

You are defending people not paying for power . Would you like it if you ran a business and people did not pay you at all. I mean would you?

Anyway enjoy your cheap power.😁 Defend the wrong thing. No wonder you people have the likes of buhari and tinubu ruling you
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by Jolite(m): 10:12pm On Mar 08
zeusdgrt:

Send them ur address and see what they can do
Since I can't benefit anything from the kangaroo govt, I will do the needful
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by zeusdgrt(m): 1:58am On Mar 09
Jolite:
Since I can't benefit anything from the kangaroo govt, I will do the needful
Sometimes u people just open ur mouth like tap and disgrace urself showing immaturity
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by Rooneyboy(m): 7:16am On Mar 09
Barrywilly:
That's not 100% correct. Bypass is only possible with the old phcn prepaid metres. Modern metres have sensors installed in them making it impossible to bypass as it will trigger an alarm that is very high and disturbing immediately it is tampered with.
Talk just dey hungry u to talk.
***Whistle away***
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by femi4: 7:59am On Mar 09
nairalanda1:

SO, how would the power sector provide good services when people are not paying for service, by bypassing meter?

Or all the good things that GSM companies provide, you think they would be able to do that if most of their customers do not pay?

The difference between GSM and power companies is simple. You cannot use MTN service without paying...and MTN reserves the right to set their prices. Power companies cannot do the same.
Stop defending incompetence. Where is the good and service? Darkness?

They should put their house in order. They are stealing from people too by giving them estimated bills and forcing them to pay for pre paid meters which will not even be their property
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by nairalanda1(m): 9:25am On Mar 09
femi4:
Stop defending incompetence. Where is the good and service? Darkness?

They should put their house in order. They are stealing from people too by giving them estimated bills and forcing them to pay for pre paid meters which will not even be their property

So how does any company provide good service when many of the customers are not paying and when by law they can't set their prices?

At the end , I am not defending corruption or bad performance.

I am simply pointing out that when a company can't make a profit because of people not paying, it can't provide the service you want.

Simple and short
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by femi4: 10:50am On Mar 09
nairalanda1:

So how does any company provide good service when many of the customers are not paying and when by law they can't set their prices?

At the end , I am not defending corruption or bad performance.

I am simply pointing out that when a company can't make a profit because of people not paying, it can't provide the service you want.

Simple and short
People are not getting value for money, they can't continue to pay for pole, meter, transformer and you reward them with poor service.

You can't even break even not to talk about making profit if your service is poor

They keep increasing tariff every 3months without improve in service. Who is cheating whom
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by nairalanda1(m): 11:17am On Mar 09
femi4:
People are not getting value for money, they can't continue to pay for pole, meter, transformer and you reward them with poor service.

You can't even break even not to talk about making profit if your service is poor

They keep increasing tariff every 3months without improve in service. Who is cheating whom

Well, people are paying for polie, meter and transformer because at the end of the day, the power companies cannot afford to pay for such things.

At the end, the fact that most people bypass the meters and refuse to pay hinders the power sector's ability to make money, and by extension hinders them from rendering good service. They are kept alive by ripping off some of their customers via estimated billing, not paying taxes, and by government subsides, which are inadequate.

The GSM service, when it came to Nigeria was poor. For a long time Nigerians paid for poor service. Internet was not existent, and calls from one network to another were bad. You could not even call a landline at all.

But the thing about GSM companies

1,You cannot use their service without paying for it....unlike the power sector where you can bypass meters and refuse to pay for service..and still have light, free of charge as a result

2.They have the right to set their prices to some extent, and their prices are always kept cost reflective. Unlike the power companies who don't have that right (they even had their prices frozen by Buhari for two years at one point).

So, GSM companies can make enough profit to do all the good things they do, and improve service, attract investment, and grow. The power sector cannot do all that ...because they cannot charge cost reflective tarrifs, and because many of their customers are not paying for service.

Agreed service is poor, but since the power sector is largely private, money to fix things comes from the customer...so at the end of the day, if the customer is not paying, there would be no money, and result is poor service.

As you can see, I am not defending any rubbish government, or rubbis corruptuon, or oppressors. If anyone runs a business where the customer is not paying , where most of the customers are not paying....that business is going to collapse, or it would use underhand means to survive.

I leave you with the image below from the PwC paper on the Nigerian power sector.

P.S NO matter how many increases the discos do, it cannot outrun a situation where many consumers are not just paying.

P.S 2..Countries like Ghana and Ivory coast have light for well 24.7 and pay much higher than we do.

PS.3...Ulitmately, I am arguing for the right of the businessman to be paid so that he can use the profit to make improvements, and so that service gets better. Because the GSM people made huge profits, they could afford to massively improve service.

Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by femi4: 11:35am On Mar 09
nairalanda1:

Well, people are paying for polie, meter and transformer because at the end of the day, the power companies cannot afford to pay for such things.

At the end, the fact that most people bypass the meters and refuse to pay hinders the power sector's ability to make money, and by extension hinders them from rendering good service. They are kept alive by ripping off some of their customers via estimated billing, not paying taxes, and by government subsides, which are inadequate.

The GSM service, when it came to Nigeria was poor. For a long time Nigerians paid for poor service. Internet was not existent, and calls from one network to another were bad. You could not even call a landline at all.

But the thing about GSM companies

1,You cannot use their service without paying for it....unlike the power sector where you can bypass meters and refuse to pay for service..and still have light, free of charge as a result

2.They have the right to set their prices to some extent, and their prices are always kept cost reflective. Unlike the power companies who don't have that right (they even had their prices frozen by Buhari for two years at one point).

So, GSM companies can make enough profit to do all the good things they do, and improve service, attract investment, and grow. The power sector cannot do all that ...because they cannot charge cost reflective tarrifs, and because many of their customers are not paying for service.

Agreed service is poor, but since the power sector is largely private, money to fix things comes from the customer...so at the end of the day, if the customer is not paying, there would be no money, and result is poor service.

As you can see, I am not defending any rubbish government, or rubbis corruptuon, or oppressors. If anyone runs a business where the customer is not paying , where most of the customers are not paying....that business is going to collapse, or it would use underhand means to survive.

I leave you with the image below from the PwC paper on the Nigerian power sector.

P.S NO matter how many increases the discos do, it cannot outrun a situation where many consumers are not just paying.

P.S 2..Countries like Ghana and Ivory coast have light for well 24.7 and pay much higher than we do.

PS.3...Ulitmately, I am arguing for the right of the businessman to be paid so that he can use the profit to make improvements, and so that service gets better. Because the GSM people made huge profits, they could afford to massively improve service.
Nigerians are already paying high for darkness. No increment has been exchanged for good service in this part of the world. Stop comparing yourself with CIV or Ghana where there is value for money.

The power problem isn't about TRANSMISSION but GENERATION, so no amount of hike in tariff will solve that.

Dstv keep increasing tariff with same or below par delivery

GLO network isn't at par with MTN not because glo subscribers are paying less or MTN subscribers are paying higher

Fix your goods n services, and every other aspect of business will align.

Before you compare the power sector to GSM sector, remembered that we don't pay for mast, transponder etc. The sim remains our property, when network is bad, we don't need to contribute money for mtn or glo to fix network glitch
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by nairalanda1(m): 11:55am On Mar 09
femi4:
Nigerians are already paying high for darkness. No increment has been exchanged for good service in this part of the world. Stop comparing yourself with CIV or Ghana where there is value for money.

Even then, CIV privatised their power sector because it was in a poor state. Result, intially they paid for poor service, but with profits being made, there was money to pay for improvements

Now, here in Nigeria, we grumble about poor service and refuse to pay. Result, we also take away the ability of the same power companies to improve that service.

See the problem

The power problem isn't about TRANSMISSION but GENERATION, so no amount of hike in tariff will solve that.

It is about transmission and generation. We don't generate enough power (the experts say we need at least 33000 MW to have consistent power supply, and transmission system is out of darte

Dstv keep increasing tariff with same or below par delivery

DSTV gives good service...at least to me. It's better than it was in 1996.

GLO network isn't at par with MTN not because glo subscribers are paying less or MTN subscribers are paying higher

Well, there is MTN and airtel, and there are any number of isp's for internet, and there is starlink.

Fix your goods n services, and every other aspect of business will align.

And how do you expect the power sector to do so when there is no money , because people are not paying. It's not like they have a magic box of money to pay for things?

Before you compare the power sector to GSM sector, remembered that we don't pay for mast, transponder etc. The sim remains our property, when network is bad, we don't need to contribute money for mtn or glo to fix network glitch

And WE don't pay for all that because at the end , the GSM companies are not subject to price controls , meaning they can set a cost reflective tarrif, plus they don't have a large percentage of their customers not paying.

And GSM was bad at the beginning. We paid for bad service and they made enough profits to make things better.
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by Jolite(m): 3:03pm On Mar 09
zeusdgrt:

Sometimes u people just open ur mouth like tap and disgrace urself showing immaturity
you're a stupid idiot, move from here
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by zeusdgrt(m): 3:57pm On Mar 09
Jolite:
you're a stupid idiot, move from here
Lol...e pain am! grin
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by gaskiyamagana: 9:28pm On Mar 09
nairalanda1:

Yeah and can phcn provide all the stuff you want when a large percentage of customers are not paying?

Like how can they get the money to pay for all they need now that the thing is largely private meaning they have to earn money from what people pay?

Or you think that discos and gencos have a magical box of money that brings it out on demand?

If you want to enjoy power without paying better say so and stop arguing with me.

You are defending people not paying for power . Would you like it if you ran a business and people did not pay you at all. I mean would you?

Anyway enjoy your cheap power.😁 Defend the wrong thing. No wonder you people have the likes of buhari and tinubu ruling you
As a beneficiary of PHCN exploitation, you have no answer , but story-story, to who was Law mandated to provide electric poles and transformers .
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by nairalanda1(m): 5:29am On Mar 10
gaskiyamagana:

As a beneficiary of PHCN exploitation,

Yes, the mockery starts, because no response

you have no answer , but story-story, to who was Law mandated to provide electric poles and transformers .

Yes, I agree it is them, but when the customers are not paying and the government is forcing them to charge non-cost reflective tarrifs, when they have to not pay tax and rip off some customers through estimated billing to surivive, and when as a private company, they have to raise money...and thus cannot make a profit, how will they provide all the stuff you want them to provide.

You are like the father who starves his child, and then flogs the child for not doing well in school.

Anyway, as much as you mock me and call me oppressor, at the end, I am defending your and DISCO and every other business' right to make a profit, so that they can have enough to pay for things.

But with you guys, you degenerate into childishness, because you know you have no answer to my points. But then again, you are right.(lol).

Good morning

Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by gaskiyamagana: 12:30pm On Mar 10
nairalanda1:

Yes, the mockery starts, because no response

Yes, I agree it is them, but when the customers are not paying and the government is forcing them to charge non-cost reflective tarrifs, when they have to not pay tax and rip off some customers through estimated billing to surivive, and when as a private company, they have to raise money...and thus cannot make a profit, how will they provide all the stuff you want them to provide.

You are like the father who starves his child, and then flogs the child for not doing well in school.

Anyway, as much as you mock me and call me oppressor, at the end, I am defending your and DISCO and every other business' right to make a profit, so that they can have enough to pay for things.

But with you guys, you degenerate into childishness, because you know you have no answer to my points. But then again, you are right.(lol).

Good morning
"Yes, I agree". This three words sentence of yours on the matter is far better than storyline you have been telling me. Bad leadership breeds bad followership. Bad company breeds bad customers. As followers, we have little or no choice other than following dictate and direction of our leader, good or bad. If the leader leads by good, we have to follow by good. If we don't want to follow by good, he has and entrusted with power to compel us. If he leads us bad we follow with bad, he, indirectly lost the power to punish us since he too is guilty. As NEPA, budget given to them to be able to deliver is used for that purpose or shared by the leaders of the then NEPA?
When privatized , even with different incentives from the government, anything changed from when owned by government?
Ask yourself, do you enjoy monthly billions of naira government electric subsidy for the masses?
The argument is unending. Whenever, there was electric fault or problem, without gathering money to go and give them, they will not come to repair it. So, we will be in endless waiting or gather money for them to come and do it?
Bros, a good and responsible citizen will not be a saboteur to his country, but when the country heartlessly failed in his duty (ies), it normal for the citizenry to respond in the same way. Don't tell me two wrongs can not make a right. The best is not to initiate a wrong so that you will not be met with another wrong.
Re: 60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN by nairalanda1(m): 12:39pm On Mar 10
gaskiyamagana:

"Yes, I agree". This three words sentence of yours on the matter is far better than storyline you have been telling me. Bad leadership breeds bad followership. Bad company breeds bad customers. As followers, we have little or no choice other than following dictate and direction of our leader, good or bad. If the leader leads by good, we have to follow by good. If we don't want to follow by good, he has and entrusted with power to compel us. If he leads us bad we follow with bad, he, indirectly lost the power to punish us since he too is guilty. As NEPA, budget given to them to be able to deliver is used for that purpose or shared by the leaders of the then NEPA?
When privatized , even with different incentives from the government, anything changed from when owned by government?
Ask yourself, do you enjoy monthly billions of naira government electric subsidy for the masses?
The argument is unending. Whenever, there was electric fault or problem, without gathering money to go and give them, they will not come to repair it. So, we will be in endless waiting or gather money for them to come and do it?
Bros, a good and responsible citizen will not be a saboteur to his country, but when the country heartlessly failed in his duty (ies), it normal for the citizenry to respond in the same way. Don't tell me two wrongs can not make a right. The best is not to initiate a wrong so that you will not be met with another wrong.

At the end, a company must make a profit to run well

No profit, anarchy,bad service, bad leaderships results.

You won't run a business where most of your customers are not paying.

At the end , you want cheap power. I want you and the power companies to have the right to make a profit which means being able to expand power supply and generation and fix transmission

And apparently that means I am oppressor. For wanting you and the discos to make a profit.

You won't like it if your customers treated you the same way customers treat the discos.

Things cost money and people like to be paid. We have bad power because we have refused to face the reality of things costing money.

(Fin).

P.s

And being abusive does not make your point.

Ps 2

The power sector is largely privatized. Only transmission is government run. Therefore they get zero.cash from the government save for a subsidy which is usually inadequate

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Omokri To Tinubu: Stop Going On Foreign Medical Trip, Reduce Your Convoy / Boko Haram Ceasefire: It’s Plot To Kill More Igbo –returnees / Fayose & Wife Celebrate 28th Wedding Anniversary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.