Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,369 members, 7,812,063 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:33 AM

Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter (23808 Views)

Benue Traders Resort To Trade By Barter Due To Naira Scarcity / Cash Crunch: Rural Dwellers Resort To Trade By Barter / Flutterwave Shuts Down Virtual Dollar Card Service (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter by nlfpmod: 6:44pm On Mar 09
Flutterwave, Africa’s biggest startup, is shutting down Barter, a virtual card service it launched in 2017, as it focuses on its enterprise and remittance business segments. The fintech told customers to withdraw their money in the app over the past month.

The decision to sunset Barter was based on a comprehensive analysis of market trends and evolving customer needs,” the fintech shared in a mail with TechCabal.

Flutterwave is doubling down on proven winners by focusing on remittance and enterprise. In October, the fintech told TechCabal enterprise services was its biggest revenue driver. In comparison, Barter only accounted for about 1% of the company’s $2 billion-worth transactions, one of the company’s cofounders told Quartz Africa in 2018.

While retail remains important to us, our immediate focus is optimizing services for businesses and remittance solutions,” the company said.

Meanwhile, Flutterwave’s remittance products, Send and Swap, aim to capture a significant market share in Africa’s $54 billion remittance market. It is unclear how much progress both.

Barter is a storied product. When it launched in 2017, it was one of the first tech startups to offer Nigerians the ability to make international payments.

“Barter will leverage on Flutterwave’s virtual card API and platform to allow users create an unlimited number of virtual dollar cards for single or repeat transactions,” said a TechCabal Daily announcing its launch in March 2017. But the product has seen its share of troubles.

In 2022, Barter was unavailable for weeks because of “an update from the company’s card partner.”That partner was Union54, the Zambian card issuer that got hit with a $1.2 billion chargeback fraud attempt.

Customers also complained about downtime issues with the platform and card rejections by merchants, including Netflix, Facebook, PayPal and Apple Music.

https://techcabal.com/2024/03/08/barter-shut-down/

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter by david22uu(m): 6:48pm On Mar 09
K
Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter by Martinsmine(m): 6:49pm On Mar 09
Very wrong... feel for those affected.

1 Like

Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter by Ebukamatth(m): 6:49pm On Mar 09
Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter by Elzazzi: 6:49pm On Mar 09
shocked

Flutterwave is a well known money laundering enterprise.

22 Likes

Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter by superjaks(m): 6:49pm On Mar 09
They mailed me few days ago to withdraw my money in their account because they're closing up😔

Wishing them the best....

14 Likes

Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter by Nahunger(m): 6:49pm On Mar 09
Good next is chipper cash

Shey their users dey laugh BINANCE WE GO SEE HOW THEM GO SURVIVE.

elayomohammed:

Nonsense, so you're happy they are winding off? See evil and wicked mind!

When they were celebrating Binance ban, it was a holy mind abi, hypocrite that's what you are....

You are happy other people are loosing their food but now that you are loosing yours we should pity you.
Never ever, what goes around, comes around.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter by FactBoyz: 6:49pm On Mar 09
The owner of Flutterwave is a known Tinubu supporter. Why not go and meet daddy so your business doesn't shut down since daddy will give you renewed hope?

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter by salbis(m): 6:49pm On Mar 09
Once a business is not profitable, sunset it. Very sad that some people would lose their job.

2 Likes

Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter by olenyi: 6:50pm On Mar 09
Hmmm
Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter by NaughtyBrainiac: 6:51pm On Mar 09
Hmmmm

1 Like

Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter by NaijaCover(m): 6:51pm On Mar 09
Nawa o
Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter by inoki247: 6:51pm On Mar 09
Lol the app AV been useless since 2022 after dem bring Send App they almost serve the same purpose....

4 Likes

Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter by Abbeyme: 6:52pm On Mar 09
Na so my money will vanish on barter. I’d love to have my past transaction history tho.
Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter by Fryx: 6:54pm On Mar 09
I’ve kukuma delete the app a long time ago. I wonder why they shut it down though. They just allow PayDay and co to scam me.

3 Likes

Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter by studycenter: 6:54pm On Mar 09
Knew it was never coming back

3 Likes

Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter by sonssyo: 6:57pm On Mar 09
Nahunger:
Good next is chipper cash

Shey their users dey laugh BINANCE WE GO SEE HOW THEM GO SURVIVE.

Well anyone can close,but chipper Cash dey charge die,do you even think that their users are happy? One is just managing anything that goes

5 Likes

Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter by Pio44: 6:58pm On Mar 09
WASTE
Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter by chigator2: 6:58pm On Mar 09
Vv
Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter by davodyguy: 6:58pm On Mar 09
FactBoyz:
The owner of Flutterwave is a known Tinubu supporter. Why not go and meet daddy so your business doesn't shut down since daddy will give you renewed hope?

I know I was going to read an ignorant comment

Did you read the below?

In comparison, Barter only accounted for about 1% of the company’s $2 billion-worth transactions, one of the company’s cofounders told Quartz Africa in 2018.

They're not going to feel 1% loss

8 Likes

Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter by yuzjet(m): 7:02pm On Mar 09
wink
Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter by Umueme: 7:03pm On Mar 09
Ha
Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter by TechCapon(m): 7:07pm On Mar 09
Which mumu evolving market trends? Are they saying people no longer need virtual cards? Just tell us bad government policies have forced you to shut down. I tried to pay for a certification exam and any virtual dollar card I used was getting declined.

10 Likes

Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter by ncoolsome(m): 7:08pm On Mar 09
Flutterwave has been having several issues of late..
Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter by isaachi4u: 7:08pm On Mar 09
Evil Flutterwave. Biggest scam to Nigerians. Financial institution that has best collaboration with high class scammers.

3 Likes

Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter by Reelmii: 7:10pm On Mar 09
Hmm
Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter by Dialpad: 7:11pm On Mar 09
What app can those in Nigeria use in making dollar payments?

Any suggestions
Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter by Manowar94: 7:13pm On Mar 09
Hmm🤔💭
Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter by DissTroy(m): 7:14pm On Mar 09
This is wrong. It's still one of the few platforms we can use our naira cards to transact with on international platforms since it does direct Forex conversions.

Getting dollars to pay for services is going to get even more difficult.
Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter by oluwaseyi0: 7:14pm On Mar 09
Martinsmine:
Very wrong... feel for those affected.

I don't get

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board / John Ekpa: GTB Should Comply With Court Judgement, Pay Innoson Or Risk Takeover / Woman Who Uses Wheelchair Complains About GTBank's Inaccesible Entrances

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.