Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,532 members, 7,816,300 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:06 AM

Why 500,000 Naira Minimum Wage Is Small Opinion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why 500,000 Naira Minimum Wage Is Small Opinion (687 Views)

In Algeria: Minimum Wage Is N161,500, 1 Litre Of Petrol Is N321 / Dayo Apata: Proposed ₦2 Billion For Prosecution Of Boko Haram Suspects Is Small / Reasons Why 500,000 N-power Beneficiaries Might Be Sack (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why 500,000 Naira Minimum Wage Is Small Opinion by TheOldGods: 11:22pm On Mar 09
We are so poor in the mind that we heard 500k proposed by NLc and Tuc as a huge amount of money. Recently, I've been basing and calculating everything before I make statements.

First let's check how much is 500,000 naira currently in dollars.

500,000÷1600= 312$ a month. That's mere 312$ a month.

Let check what the current prices of commodities are.
A bag of foreign rice is about 70-80k. Let's take 70.

Rice 500,000-70,000 =430k.

Let's add beans

Beans 70k.

Noodles 20k.

A corolla now sells for 8million.

As of today, the fct minister is building a 15Billion naira residential property for the vice president, it is not like the vice president is homeless. If we convert that to dollars it is
9 million, three hundred and 75 thousand dollars. 9,375,000

How many 312$ is in 9 millions dollars, that is being used to construct for the vice president.

Currently the presidential Pane is gulping billions in maintenance.

If it takes about 5 billion to maintain a plane, that's about 3,125,000 dollars.(Three million, 125thousand dollars). How many ordinary 312 dollars are in 3million dollars, that's the amount of people that will get paid mere 312$. Which is about 14$ a day. Which is 22,400 a day.

With the high cost of things and rent, it will take someone earning ordinary 33k, 30 months to pay for rent of 1million naira. Which most houses are going for.

Minimum wage in Rwanda is about $500-$600. Nigeria is not only richer.

The truth is our politicians are very corrupt and selfish. They want to embezzle thousands of salaries of people in one day

500k to me, is too small for minimum wage in this current economy.

4 Likes

Re: Why 500,000 Naira Minimum Wage Is Small Opinion by meum: 12:21am On Mar 10
Prices of things will still go up after the new minimum wage has been announced.

2 Likes

Re: Why 500,000 Naira Minimum Wage Is Small Opinion by Zaheertyler(m): 12:41am On Mar 10
100k at most
Re: Why 500,000 Naira Minimum Wage Is Small Opinion by JagabanB: 12:55am On Mar 10
The greed inherent in Nigeriàñs will sky rocket the price of goods and services with that amount and 95% of states still won't pay it.
In other words, most Nigeriàñs will pay for wages that they are not earning.
Till date not all states have implemented the current minimum wage.

2 Likes

Re: Why 500,000 Naira Minimum Wage Is Small Opinion by Sheyimann: 1:57am On Mar 10
TheOldGods:
We are so poor in the mind that we heard 500k proposed by NLc and Tuc as a huge amount of money. Recently, I've been basing and calculating everything before I make statements.

Let's add beans

Beans 70k.

Noodles 20k.

As of today, the fct minister is building a 15Billion naira residential property for the vice president, it is not like the vice president is homeless. If we convert that to dollars it is

How many 312$ is in 9 millions dollars, that is being used to construct for the vice president.

If it takes about 5 billion to maintain a plane, that's about 3,125,000 dollars.(Three million, 125thousand dollars). How many ordinary 312 dollars are in 3million dollars, that's the amount of people that will get paid mere 312$. Which is about 14$ a day. Which is 22,400 a day.

With the high cost of things and rent, it will take someone earning ordinary 33k, 30 months to pay for rent of 1million naira. Which most houses are going for.

The truth is our politicians are very corrupt and selfish. They want to embezzle thousands of salaries of people in one day

Minimum wage in Rwanda is not around 500$
Re: Why 500,000 Naira Minimum Wage Is Small Opinion by gaby(m): 2:26am On Mar 10
People wey never fit pay 30k na him you want ask to pay 500k. If them agree, na to further print more of the worthless naira to dey share every month as salary while the citizens load the notes into a wheelbarrow to go make purchases in the market.
Re: Why 500,000 Naira Minimum Wage Is Small Opinion by xxxx999jon: 2:58am On Mar 10
gaby:
People wey never fit pay 30k na him you want ask to pay 500k. If them agree, na to further print more of the worthless naira to dey share every month as salary while the citizens load the notes into a wheelbarrow to go make purchases in the market.
i tire for the op , instead of us to stand against the profligacy of the government we want them to give us piece of the national cake .. 500k for people who currently cant pay 30k dey play . They will just print more money and things will skyrocket again $1 will be 10 million naira immediately it's implemented, btw how much is Nigeria Budget for it to pay 500k minimum wage for over a million FG civil service staff not talking if the military and police, and how many private companies can afford 500k to pay has minimum wage ... We just like to open our mouth and talk vaaaaaaaaa, abeji let's look for another solution to solve the mess we are in minimum wages increments is frying pan to fire .

2 Likes

Re: Why 500,000 Naira Minimum Wage Is Small Opinion by malali: 5:36am On Mar 10
The wages are not the problem.
Even if the government pays 1 million unguarded inflation will make all that money useless.
The aim of the government should be how to make things cheaper.
How can we use science and technology to grow cheaper more affordable food ?
How can we use science and technology to grow more animal protein ?
China has over 1 billion people but the feed them within reasonable income.
The question is why cant we improve our rice production to foreign standard ?
Why cant we have food processing plants to curb the wastage during harvest season ?
Can Toyota start an assembly plant in Nigeria for the whole West-African sub region ?
We have a production problem, if we print more money to pay more salaries, it will only get worse.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why 500,000 Naira Minimum Wage Is Small Opinion by TheOldGods: 10:09am On Mar 10
Sheyimann:

Minimum wage in Rwanda is not around 500$
who told you that?
Re: Why 500,000 Naira Minimum Wage Is Small Opinion by TheOldGods: 10:10am On Mar 10
malali:
The wages are not the problem.
Even if the government pays 1 million unguarded inflation will make all that money useless.
The aim of the government should be how to make things cheaper.
How can we use science and technology to grow cheaper more affordable food ?
How can we use science and technology to grow more animal protein ?
China has over 1 billion people but the feed them within reasonable income.
The question is why cant we improve our rice production to foreign standard ?
Why cant we have food processing plants to curb the wastage during harvest season ?
Can Toyota start an assembly plant in Nigeria for the whole West-African sub region ?
We have a production problem, if we print more money to pay more salaries, it will only get worse.
why can't? They are building 15billion apartment for vice president. Wike is doing that. Is that what our problem is? I'm other to lavish money.

3 Likes

Re: Why 500,000 Naira Minimum Wage Is Small Opinion by TheOldGods: 10:11am On Mar 10
Zaheertyler:
100k at most
that's trash. 100k is trash.

2 Likes

Re: Why 500,000 Naira Minimum Wage Is Small Opinion by TheOldGods: 10:11am On Mar 10
gaby:
NLc and Tuc should never agree. If they can't pay it, they should shut down the economy. They can spend over 100k$ dollars in a single day. Do you know how much 312$ is in 100k?
Re: Why 500,000 Naira Minimum Wage Is Small Opinion by TheOldGods: 10:14am On Mar 10
xxxx999jon:
i tire for the op , instead of us to stand against the profligacy of the government we want them to give us piece of the national cake .. 500k for people who currently cant pay 30k dey play . They will just print more money and things will skyrocket again $1 will be 10 million naira immediately it's implemented, btw how much is Nigeria Budget for it to pay 500k minimum wage for over a million FG civil service staff not talking if the military and police, and how many private companies can afford 500k to pay has minimum wage ... We just like to open our mouth and talk vaaaaaaaaa, abeji let's look for another solution to solve the mess we are in minimum wages increments is frying pan to fire .
They are not ready to solve the problem. They are embezzling money. If a private sector can't pay 500k, they should close down.

2 Likes

Re: Why 500,000 Naira Minimum Wage Is Small Opinion by xxxx999jon: 10:23am On Mar 10
TheOldGods:
They are not ready to solve the problem. They are embezzling money. If a private sector can't pay 500k, they should close down.
so that's your own solution, they should close down and people should be jobless right ? Smh.
Re: Why 500,000 Naira Minimum Wage Is Small Opinion by TheOldGods: 10:42am On Mar 10
xxxx999jon:
so that's your own solution, they should close down and people should be jobless right ? Smh.
bro, in America and other working countries, if you can't pay the minimum wage of workers, they can take you to court win you and you have to either file for bankruptcy or pay them. What do you mean
Re: Why 500,000 Naira Minimum Wage Is Small Opinion by gaby(m): 11:10am On Mar 10
TheOldGods:
NLc and Tuc should never agree. If they can't pay it, they should shut down the economy. They can spend over 100k$ dollars in a single day. Do you know how much 312$ is in 100k?

Lol..

NLC and TUC need to increase it to #1M.
Re: Why 500,000 Naira Minimum Wage Is Small Opinion by xxxx999jon: 3:36pm On Mar 10
TheOldGods:
bro, in America and other working countries, if you can't pay the minimum wage of workers, they can take you to court win you and you have to either file for bankruptcy or pay them. What do you mean
do you even know the meaning of "filling for bankruptcy"?, how many companies can afford to pay his most junior staffs, drivers and cleaners 500k in Nigeria ... None. .not shell, mobil, nnpc ... Absolutely none .

1 Like

Re: Why 500,000 Naira Minimum Wage Is Small Opinion by TheOldGods: 3:38pm On Mar 10
xxxx999jon:
do you even know the meaning of "filling for bankruptcy"?, how many companies can afford to pay his most junior staffs, drivers and cleaners 500k in Nigeria ... None. .not shell, mobil, nnpc ... Absolutely none .
is NNpc private or federal?
Re: Why 500,000 Naira Minimum Wage Is Small Opinion by xxxx999jon: 3:44pm On Mar 10
TheOldGods:
is NNpc private or federal?
àsk Google you not paying me to answer questions on this forum . If you want to ask questions Google is there to help you not me.
Re: Why 500,000 Naira Minimum Wage Is Small Opinion by press9jatv: 3:48pm On Mar 10
TheOldGods:

Let's add beans

Beans 70k.

Noodles 20k.

you are much right with your analysis here
Re: Why 500,000 Naira Minimum Wage Is Small Opinion by press9jatv: 4:02pm On Mar 10
TheOldGods:
who told you that?
this is google results of Rwanda minimum wage

Re: Why 500,000 Naira Minimum Wage Is Small Opinion by Paraman: 4:28pm On Mar 10
TheOldGods:

Let's add beans

Beans 70k.

Noodles 20k.

Where do you want the federal, state and private sector to get the money from?
Re: Why 500,000 Naira Minimum Wage Is Small Opinion by TheOldGods: 8:01pm On Mar 10
press9jatv:
this is google results of Rwanda minimum wage
leave Google, and go to Rwanda. Or find someone living in Rwanda.
Re: Why 500,000 Naira Minimum Wage Is Small Opinion by press9jatv: 8:15pm On Mar 10
TheOldGods:
leave Google, and go to Rwanda. Or find someone living in Rwanda.
hmm 🤨
Re: Why 500,000 Naira Minimum Wage Is Small Opinion by Sheyimann: 2:38am On Mar 12
TheOldGods:
who told you that?

I know so because I have been living in said country since 2021
Re: Why 500,000 Naira Minimum Wage Is Small Opinion by OVIHINNO(m): 6:43am On Mar 12
meum:
Prices of things will still go up after the new minimum wage has been announced.
Maybe minimum wage should be reduced to N10,000 then prices will come down right?

1 Like

Re: Why 500,000 Naira Minimum Wage Is Small Opinion by meum: 9:55am On Mar 12
OVIHINNO:

Maybe minimum wage should be reduced to N10,000 then prices will come down right?
May be civil service work should be free then commodities in the markets will be free. Right?
Re: Why 500,000 Naira Minimum Wage Is Small Opinion by OVIHINNO(m): 6:20pm On Mar 12
meum:

May be civil service work should be free then commodities in the markets will be free. Right?
I was been sarcastic. We are on the same line of thought
Re: Why 500,000 Naira Minimum Wage Is Small Opinion by meum: 6:25pm On Mar 12
OVIHINNO:

I was been sarcastic. We are on the same line of thought
Yea I got the sarcasm.
Re: Why 500,000 Naira Minimum Wage Is Small Opinion by delkuf(m): 6:37pm On Mar 12
TheOldGods:
why can't? They are building 15billion apartment for vice president. Wike is doing that. Is that what our problem is? I'm other to lavish money.
thank you my brother. Some Nigerian don't know that this is the structure of Nigeria. We spent money lavishly. So those glamouring for make Nigeria a exporting nation. Build Nigeria. It cannot work for now. It is the system. So we live according to the system. When we lavishly spend money on senators and cos, but when it comes to the Nigeria workers, we start having protests before the govt listen to us
Re: Why 500,000 Naira Minimum Wage Is Small Opinion by delkuf(m): 6:42pm On Mar 12
OVIHINNO:

I like this question ooooo
Re: Why 500,000 Naira Minimum Wage Is Small Opinion by hedonido: 6:50pm On Mar 12
N500k my foot. Left to me, the 'minimum wage' should be reduced to N15, 000 sef. And I am serious. And I say this advisedly, for good reason....

First, the concept of minimum wage in Nigeria is largely applicable only to government workers. Especially Federal Government workers. Unfortunately, our entire public service across all tiers of government is predominantly populated by unproductive idiots, employed not on merit and measured not by input-driven deliverables, but merely on the basis of shameless nepotism, parochiialism, favouritism, man-know-manism, parapoism, and other negative 'isms'.

The majority of the idiots who call themselves civil servants/public servants are unspeakably incompetent and unproductive, and do not even deserve to be paid their current wages, let alone any upgraded minimum wage.

We can only begin to talk about a fair minimum wage when we start implementing a productivity, competence, value and merit based economic system. If you put in fair work then you deserve a fair wage. That is how it is done in the Western World and in any other sane society.

(1) (Reply)

IMF 2024 Forecast- Nigerian GDP To Slip To Number 4 In Africa From Number 1. / How To Secure Business Capital / Gov Amaechi Accuses Efcc Of Bias.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.