Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:38 AM

How Africans Lost Power ‘in The World’ - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / How Africans Lost Power ‘in The World’ (1854 Views)

See What South Africans Had To Say Concerning Xenophobia / South Africans Ignore Appeal, Continue Attacks On Foreigners / Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Africans Lost Power ‘in The World’ by AfroBlue(m): 9:37pm On Nov 13, 2011
Feature Article of Thursday, 3 September 2009

Note: In this article, I will use few reference sources to back my argument; it will be helpful if readers can look for the resources I referred to. It is also regrettable that my opinion on this piece of work will touch some people’s comfort zone.

Columnist: Jacaboba, Kwabena Boateng

How Africans Lost Power ‘In The World’

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=167965
Re: How Africans Lost Power ‘in The World’ by salassie(f): 11:52pm On Nov 13, 2011
"Also power can be used oppressively when powerful countries partner with few elites/leaders from less developing country/countries to exploit their own people."
This is a key issue.

"As I look through the vision and ahead of Africa I am filled with a sense of risk and hopelessness emerging in the next century. Look: not only wars that is depopulating Africans but also the plague of HIV/Aids is gradually wiping our ‘race’ in this part of the continent Look at how HIV/Aids have infected our brothers and sisters and children in Ghana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Kenya and Soweto."
I share the author's sense of risk, but I'm not filled by hopelessness as he is. Not that I can deny that despair about the state of this continent washes over me ever so often. I’m struggling in so many ways myself. Sometimes I just want to put my hands up in the air and say ”That’s it, I’ve finally had enough. I’m out of here.” Then I find myself remembering that scene in Blood Diamond where Danny(Leo DiCaprio) talks about leaving Africa. The colonel takes sand and pours it over Danny’s hand and says “This red earth, it’s in our skin. The Shona say the color comes from all the blood that’s been spilled fighting over the land. This is home. You’ll never leave Africa.” I’ll never leave either. Travel to other countries, yes. I enjoy learning about and experiencing other cultures, but this is home. Most of us will never leave. Despite everything, I still believe that Africa is the land of tomorrow. We have riches like oil, gold, diamonds, uranium etc., but these are not our most precious resource. Our people are. We need to learn how to harvest our various talents and work together for the betterment of all. If we allow ourselves to be filled with a sense of hopelessness, then we’ve already lost that bright future that I really do believe can be ours.

"The horrors keep coming upon us based on our own destruction and neglect."
I agree with this.

Side note: whenever I see anything to do with Ghana, I think of its 2010 World Cup football team. That match against the USA was one of the best of the tournament. Pity that they were robbed in their following match. Nevertheless, they made Africa proud. The Black Stars.
Re: How Africans Lost Power ‘in The World’ by cap28: 12:02am On Nov 14, 2011
this article brought tears to my eyes - the writer exposes the unspeakable atrocity that was the transatlantic slave trade and places responsibility firmly at the door of the white man.

sadly many africans are still in a coma - we have refused to wake up and understand that these people are still working tirelessly to erase us from the face of the earth, when are we going to wake up - or is it too late. Look at how these demons smashed an entire nation to smithereens simply because it wanted to exercise the right to its own self determination (Libya) the future for africa is indeed bleak if we carry on in this trance like state that we haave insisted on remaining in.
Re: How Africans Lost Power ‘in The World’ by AfroBlue(m): 4:45am On Nov 14, 2011
sa_lassie:

"Also power can be used oppressively when powerful countries partner with few elites/leaders from less developing country/countries to exploit their own people."
This is a key issue.

"As I look through the vision and ahead of Africa I am filled with a sense of risk and hopelessness emerging in the next century. Look: not only wars that is depopulating Africans but also the plague of HIV/Aids is gradually wiping our ‘race’ in this part of the continent Look at how HIV/Aids have infected our brothers and sisters and children in Ghana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Kenya and Soweto."
I share the author's sense of risk, but I'm not filled by hopelessness as he is. Not that I can deny that despair about the state of this continent washes over me ever so often. I’m struggling in so many ways myself. Sometimes I just want to put my hands up in the air and say ”That’s it, I’ve finally had enough. I’m out of here.” Then I find myself remembering that scene in Blood Diamond where Danny(Leo DiCaprio) talks about leaving Africa. The colonel takes sand and pours it over Danny’s hand and says “This red earth, it’s in our skin. The Shona say the color comes from all the blood that’s been spilled fighting over the land. This is home. You’ll never leave Africa.” I’ll never leave either. Travel to other countries, yes. I enjoy learning about and experiencing other cultures, but this is home. Most of us will never leave. Despite everything, I still believe that Africa is the land of tomorrow. We have riches like oil, gold, diamonds, uranium etc., but these are not our most precious resource. Our people are. We need to learn how to harvest our various talents and work together for the betterment of all. If we allow ourselves to be filled with a sense of hopelessness, then we’ve already lost that bright future that I really do believe can be ours.

"The horrors keep coming upon us based on our own destruction and neglect."
I agree with this.

Side note: whenever I see anything to do with Ghana, I think of its 2010 World Cup football team. That match against the USA was one of the best of the tournament. Pity that they were robbed in their following match. Nevertheless, they made Africa proud. The Black Stars.

Entertainment

***[Steven Seagal | Mercenary For Justice]*** (2005) | Full Movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3Sb9oIbUwo&feature=player_embedded#!

Steven Seagal ,
John Seeger
Jacqueline Lord ,
Maxine Barnol
Roger Guenveur Smith ,
Anthony Chapel
Luke Goss ,
John Dresham
Michael Kenneth Williams ,
Samuel Kay
Adrian Galley ,
Bulldog
Langley Kirkwood ,
Kruger (as Langley Jack Kirkwood)
Vivian Bieldt ,
Dekerk
Verity Price ,
Female Assistant
Bruce Young ,
Chief of Police Malik
Peter Butler ,
Ahmet Dasan
Farouk Valley-Omar ,
Elder Butler (as Fahruq Valley-Omar)
Tumi Mogoje ,
Eddie Jones
Faye Peters ,
Shondra Jones
Zaa Nkweta ,
Radio Jones (as Zaa Nikweta)

Mercenary John Seeger is one of the best in the business. John and his crew are battling some French soldiers on the French-controlled Galmoral Island in Southern Africa as they're trying to rescue the French Ambassador -- there's a coup going on. John gets angry when some of his soldiers unload their machine guns into the Ambassador and his family, blowing the mission and getting his best friend Radio Jones killed. John goes back to the U.S.A. and goes to the home of Radio's wife Shondra, tells her the news, and then promises her that he'll take care of her and her son Eddie. But shortly after he makes that vow, Shondra and Eddie get kidnapped. They were kidnapped by a CIA faction led by CIA dirty deeds man John Dresham and his boss, CIA Black Ops producer Anthony Chapel, who want to force John into doing a mission for them. Kamal Dasan, the son of prominent gun runner Ahmet Dasan,

Re: How Africans Lost Power ‘in The World’ by MandingoII(m): 7:23am On Nov 14, 2011
this article brought tears to my eyes - the writer exposes the unspeakable atrocity that was the transatlantic slave trade and places responsibility firmly at the door of the white man.

Which means it is a FLAWED writing. Africans wanted those Guns and Alcohol and was all to willing to sell of their Tribe and the next villages tribe to get more of it.

Lets keep history in perspective and TELL ALL THE HISTORY.
Re: How Africans Lost Power ‘in The World’ by morpheus24: 3:46pm On Nov 14, 2011
MandingoII:

Which means it is a FLAWED writing. Africans wanted those Guns and Alcohol and was all to willing to sell of their Tribe and the next villages tribe to get more of it.

Yep. Thats what them teachers in your schools have been told to teach your 'silly" black azz. If we share the blame around maybe we can get the AA recenting the Africans.

When will you understand that Slave trade was initiated by mostly Slave raiders and Dubious Kings who got lewed by the ornaments the "whites" flashed in front of them.

The African populous did not share in the bounties of this despicable practice nor did they gain any rewards from it, infact many families suffered the atrocities of being seperated from their kinfolk, Ergo they have nothing to do with Slavery in the context in which it was practiced in the WEST you "Numskull".

Re educate yourself Dumbazz
Re: How Africans Lost Power ‘in The World’ by Nobody: 11:36am On Nov 19, 2011
MandingoII:

Which means it is a FLAWED writing.  Africans wanted those Guns and Alcohol and was all to willing to sell of their Tribe and the next villages tribe to get more of it.

morpheus24:

Yep. Thats what them teachers in your schools have been told to teach your 'silly" black azz. If we share the blame around maybe we can get the AA recenting the Africans.

When will you understand that Slave trade was initiated by mostly Slave raiders and Dubious Kings who got lewed by the ornaments the "whites" flashed in front of them.

The African populous did not share in the bounties of this despicable practice nor did they gain any rewards from it, infact many families suffered the atrocities of being seperated from their kinfolk, Ergo they have nothing to do with Slavery in the context in which it was practiced in the WEST you "Numskull".

Re educate yourself Dumbazz

MandingoII  did not dispute the fact that Europeans initiated the Slave trade.
From what I read, he was merely asking for the entire story to be told.

@morpheus24, you clearly admitted dubious kings were involved yourself, so I wonder why you felt a need to resort to insults.
Re: How Africans Lost Power ‘in The World’ by justwise(m): 12:19pm On Nov 19, 2011
MandingoII:

I'm quite happy to read from people like you who says it as its, not engaging in ant-west nonsense and blaming everybody else for all the atrocities committed in Africa apart from Africans themselves.

Yes lets tell ALL THE HISTORY.
Re: How Africans Lost Power ‘in The World’ by Nobody: 1:27pm On Nov 19, 2011
There is already plenty of information on the roles played by all parties involved in the same slave trade.

Problem is, some of us choose to wear translucent goggles when leaving through the archives. wink

In Ghana, politician and educator Samuel Sulemana Fuseini has acknowledged that his Asante ancestors accumulated their great wealth by abducting, capturing, and kidnapping Africans and selling them as slaves. Likewise, Ghanaian diplomat Kofi Awoonor has written: “I believe there is a great psychic shadow over Africa, and it has much to do with our guilt and denial of our role in the slave trade. We too are blameworthy in what was essentially one of the most heinous crimes in human histor[/b]y.

In 2000, at an observance attended by delegates from several European countries and the United States, officials from Benin publicized [b]President Mathieu Kerekou’s apology for his country’s role in “selling fellow Africans by the millions to white slave traders.” “We cry for forgiveness and reconciliation,” said Luc Gnacadja, Benin’s minister of environment and housing. Cyrille Oguin, Benin’s ambassador to the United States, acknowledged, “We share in the responsibility for this terrible human tragedy.
A year later, Senegal’s president Abdoulaye Wade, “himself the descendant of generations of slave-owning [and slave-trading] African king[/b]s,” urged Europeans, Americans, and Africans to acknowledge publicly and teach openly about their shared responsibility for the Atlantic slave trade
Recall  Abdoulaye Wade extended an open invitation to Haitians after the earthquake they experienced.
Wade’s remarks came months after the release of Adanggaman, by Ivory Coast director Roger Gnoan M’bala, “the first African film to look at African involvement in the slave trade with the West.” [b]“It’s up to us,” M’Bala insisted, “to talk about slavery, open the wounds of what we’ve always hidden and stop being puerile when we put responsibility on others . . . . In our own oral tradition, slavery is left out purposefully because Africans are ashamed when we confront slavery

(1) (Reply)

Here’s An Update On ‘the Great Battle Of Aleppo’ / Yes We Tan: Barack Obama's TAN Suit Sparks Uproar On Twitter / Breaking! Yemeni Armed Forces Waged War On Israel, Vow To Strike Till Cease Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.