Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,345 members, 7,811,995 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:32 AM

Quincy Jones Is 91 Years Old - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Quincy Jones Is 91 Years Old (166 Views)

Surex-kiss - Money Mind Ft Spinky & Quincy Highstar / Quincy Jones Lists Yoruba Music As One Of Music Genres Producers Must Listen To. / DOWNLOAD MP3: Quincy - Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Quincy Jones Is 91 Years Old by naptu2: 9:25pm On Mar 14
[quote]Quincy Delight Jones Jr. (born March 14, 1933) is an American record producer, songwriter, composer, arranger, and film and television producer. His career spans over 70 years, with 28 Grammy Awards won out of 80 nominations, and a Grammy Legend Award in 1992.

Jones came to prominence in the 1950s as a jazz arranger and conductor before working on pop music and film scores. He moved easily between genres, producing pop hit records for Lesley Gore in the early 1960s (including "It's My Party"wink and serving as an arranger and conductor for several collaborations between the jazz artists Frank Sinatra and Count Basie. In 1968, Jones became the first African American to be nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Song for "The Eyes of Love" from the film Banning. Jones was also nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Score for his work on the 1967 film In Cold Blood, making him the first African American to be nominated twice in the same year. Jones produced three of the most successful albums by pop star Michael Jackson: Off the Wall (1979), Thriller (1982), and Bad (1987). In 1985, Jones produced and conducted the charity song "We Are the World", which raised funds for victims of famine in Ethiopia.

In 1971, Jones became the first African American to be the musical director and conductor of the Academy Awards. In 1995, he was the first African American to receive the academy's Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award. He is tied with sound designer Willie D. Burton as the second most Oscar-nominated African American, with seven nominations each. In 2013, Jones was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame as the winner, alongside Lou Adler, of the Ahmet Ertegun Award. He was named one of the most influential jazz musicians of the 20th century by Time.

Early life

Quincy Delight Jones Jr. was born in the South Side of Chicago, Illinois on March 14, 1933, the elder of two sons to Sarah Frances (née Wells; died 1999), a bank officer and apartment complex manager, and Quincy Delight Jones, a semi-professional baseball player and carpenter from Kentucky. Jones's paternal grandmother was an ex-slave from Louisville, and Jones later discovered that his paternal grandfather was Welsh. With the help of the author Alex Haley in 1972 and Latter-day Saint researchers in Salt Lake City, Jones discovered that one of his mother's ancestors was James Lanier, a relative of poet Sidney Lanier. Jones said, "He had a baby with my great-grandmother [a slave], and my grandmother was born there [on a plantation in Kentucky]. We traced this all the way back to the Laniers, the same family as Tennessee Williams." Learning that the Lanier immigrant ancestors were French Huguenots who had court musicians among their ancestors, Jones attributed some of his musicianship to them.

For the 2006 PBS television program African American Lives, Jones had his DNA tested, and genealogists researched his family history again. His DNA revealed he is mostly African, but also has 34% European ancestry on both sides of his family. Research showed that he has English, French, Italian, and Welsh ancestry through his father. His mother's side is of West and Central African descent, specifically the Tikar people of Cameroon. His mother also had European ancestry, including Lanier male ancestors who fought for the Confederacy, making him eligible for membership in the Sons of Confederate Veterans. Among his ancestors is Betty Washington Lewis, a sister of president George Washington.

Jones's family moved to Chicago during the Great Migration. Jones had a younger brother, Lloyd, who was an engineer for the Seattle television station KOMO-TV until his death in 1998. Jones was introduced to music by his mother, who always sang religious songs, and next-door neighbor Lucy Jackson. When Jones was five or six, Jackson played stride piano next door, and he would listen through the walls. Jackson recalled that after he heard her one-day, she could not get him off her piano.

When Jones was young, his mother had a schizophrenic breakdown and was sent to a mental institution. His father divorced her and married Elvera Jones, who already had three children of her own: Waymond, Theresa, and Katherine. Elvera and Quincy Sr. later had three children together: Jeanette, Margie, and Richard. In 1943, the family moved to Bremerton, Washington, Jones's father took a wartime job at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard. After the war, the family moved to Seattle, where Jones attended Garfield High School and developed his skills as a trumpeter and arranger. His classmates included Charles Taylor, who played saxophone and whose mother, Evelyn Bundy, was one of Seattle's first society jazz bandleaders. Jones and Taylor began playing music together, and at the age of fourteen, they played with a National Reserve band. Jones said he acquired more experience with music growing up in a smaller city due to the lack of competition.

At age 14, Jones introduced himself to 16-year-old Ray Charles after watching him play at the Black Elks Club. Jones cites Charles as an early inspiration for his own music career, noting that Charles overcame his blindness to achieve his musical goals. He credited his father's sturdy work ethic with giving him the means to proceed and his loving strength with holding the family together. Jones said his father had a rhyming motto: "Once a task is just begun, never leave until it's done. Be the labor great or small, do it well or not at all."

In 1951, Jones earned a scholarship to Seattle University. After one semester, he transferred to what is now the Berklee College of Music in Boston on another scholarship. There, he played at Izzy Ort's Bar & Grille with Bunny Campbell and Preston Sandiford, whom he cited as important influences. He left his studies after receiving an offer to tour as a trumpeter, arranger, and pianist with bandleader Lionel Hampton and embarked on his professional career. On the road with Hampton, he displayed a gift for arranging songs. He moved to New York City, where he received freelance commissions writing arrangements for Charles, who was by then a close friend, and for Sarah Vaughan, Dinah Washington, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, and Gene Krupa.

Music career

In 1953, aged 20, Jones traveled with jazz bandleader Lionel Hampton for a European tour of the Hampton orchestra. He said the tour changed his view of racism in the United States:

It gave you some sense of perspective on past, present, and future. It took the myopic conflict between just black and white in the United States and put it on another level because you saw the turmoil between the Armenians and the Turks, and the Cypriots and the Greeks, and the Swedes and the Danes, and the Koreans and the Japanese. Everybody had these hassles, and you saw it was a basic part of human nature, these conflicts. It opened my soul; it opened my mind.

In early 1956, Jones accepted a temporary job at CBS' Stage Show hosted by Jimmy and Tommy Dorsey that was broadcast live from Studio 50 in New York City (known today as the Ed Sullivan Theater). On January 28, February 4, 11 and 18, as well as on March 17 and 24, Jones played second trumpet in the studio band that supported 21-year-old Elvis Presley in his first six television appearances. Presley sang "Heartbreak Hotel", which became his first No. 1 record and the Billboard magazine Pop Record of the year. Soon after, as a trumpeter and musical director for Dizzy Gillespie, Jones went on tour of the Middle East and South America sponsored by the United States Information Agency. After returning, he signed a contract with ABC-Paramount and started his recording career as the leader of his band. In 1957, he moved to Paris, where he studied composition and theory with Nadia Boulanger and Olivier Messiaen and performed at the Paris Olympia. He became music director at Barclay, a French record company and the licensee for Mercury in France.

During the 1950s, Jones toured Europe with several jazz orchestras. As musical director of Harold Arlen's jazz musical Free and Easy, he took to the road again. A European tour closed in Paris in February 1960. With musicians from the Arlen show, he formed his big band the Jones Boys with eighteen musicians. The band included double bass player Eddie Jones and trumpeter Reunald Jones (none of the three were related). The band toured North America and Europe, and the concerts met enthusiastic audiences and sparkling reviews, but the earnings failed to support a band of this size. Poor budget planning resulted in an economic disaster; the band dissolved, leaving Jones in a financial crisis.

"We had the best jazz band on the planet, and yet we were literally starving. That's when I discovered that there was music, and there was the music business. If I were to survive, I would have to learn the difference between the two."

Irving Green, head of Mercury, helped Jones with a personal loan and a job as musical director of the company's New York division. He worked with Doug Moody, founder of Mystic Records.

Breakthrough and rise

In 1961, Jones was promoted as the vice-president of Mercury, becoming the first African American to hold the position. During the same year, at the invitation of director Sidney Lumet, he composed music for The Pawnbroker (1964). It was the first of his nearly 40 major motion picture scores. Following the success of The Pawnbroker, Jones left Mercury and moved to Los Angeles. After composing film scores for Mirage and The Slender Thread in 1965, he was in constant demand as a composer. His film credits over the next seven years included Walk, Don't Run, The Deadly Affair, In Cold Blood, In the Heat of the Night, Mackenna's Gold, The Italian Job, Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice, Cactus Flower, The Out-of-Towners, They Call Me Mister Tibbs!, The Anderson Tapes, $ (Dollars), and The Getaway. In addition, he composed "The Streetbeater", which became the theme music for the television sitcom Sanford and Son, starring his close friend Redd Foxx, and the themes for other TV shows, including Ironside, Rebop, Banacek, The Bill Cosby Show, the opening episode of Roots, Mad TV, and the game show Now You See It.

In the 1960s, Jones worked as an arranger for Billy Eckstine, Ella Fitzgerald, Shirley Horn, Peggy Lee, Nana Mouskouri, Frank Sinatra, Sarah Vaughan, and Dinah Washington. His solo recordings included Walking in Space, Gula Matari, Smackwater Jack, You've Got It Bad Girl, Body Heat, Mellow Madness, and I Heard That!!

Jones's 1962 tune "Soul Bossa Nova", which originated on the Big Band Bossa Nova album, was used as the theme for the 1997 spy comedy Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery.

Jones produced all four million-selling singles for Lesley Gore during the early and mid-sixties, including "It's My Party" (UK No. 8; US No. 1), its sequel "Judy's Turn to Cry" (US No. 5), "She's a Fool" (also a US No. 5) in 1963, and "You Don't Own Me" (US No. 2 for four weeks in 1964). He continued to produce for Gore until 1966, including the Greenwich/Barry hits "Look of Love" (US No. 27 in 1965) and "Maybe I Know" (UK No. 20; US No. 14 in 1964).

In 1975, Jones founded Qwest Productions, for which he arranged and produced successful albums by Frank Sinatra and others. In 1978, he produced the soundtrack for The Wiz, the musical adaptation of The Wizard of Oz, which starred Michael Jackson and Diana Ross. In 1982, he produced Jackson's Thriller, the bestselling album in history of the music industry.

His 1981 album The Dude yielded the hits "Ai No Corrida" (a remake of a song by Chaz Jankel), "Just Once", and "One Hundred Ways", both sung by James Ingram.

Marking Jones's debut as a film producer, 1985's The Color Purple received 11 Oscar nominations that year, including one for Jones's score. Jones, Thomas Newman, and Alan Silvestri are the only composers besides John Williams to have written scores for a Steven Spielberg-directed theatrical feature film. Additionally, through this picture, Jones is credited with introducing Whoopi Goldberg and Oprah Winfrey to film audiences around the world.

After the 1985 American Music Awards ceremony, Jones used his influence to draw most of the major American recording artists of the day into a studio to record the song "We Are the World" to raise money for the victims of famine in Ethiopia. When people marveled at his ability to make the collaboration work, Jones explained that he had taped a sign on the entrance reading "Check Your Ego at the Door". He was also quoted as saying, "We don't want to make a hunger record in tuxedos", requiring all participants to wear casual clothing in the studio. In 1986, he started off Qwest Entertainment to produce theatrical feature films, through Qwest Film and Television, and launched a home video label, Qwest Home Video, in order to manage the home video titles made by the studio, and Qwest Entertainment would continue to operate their pre-existing subsidiaries like Qwest Records, Quincy Jones Productions and Qwest Music Publishing.

In 1990, Quincy Jones Productions joined with Time Warner to create Quincy Jones Entertainment (QJE). The company signed a 10-picture deal with Warner Bros. and a two-series deal with NBC Productions (now Universal Television). The television show The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air was completed in 1990, but producers of In the House (from UPN) rejected its early concept stages. Jones produced the successful The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (discovering Will Smith), UPN's In the House, First-Run Syndication's The Jenny Jones Show (in association with Telepictures Productions, 1994–1997 only) and FOX's Madtv – which ran for 14 seasons. In the early 1990s, he started a huge, ongoing project called "The Evolution of Black Music". QJE started a weekly talk show with Jones's friend, Reverend Jesse Jackson, as the host.

Beginning in the late 1970s, Jones tried to convince Miles Davis to revive the music he recorded on several classic albums of the 1950s, which was arranged by Gil Evans. Davis always refused, citing a desire to avoid revisiting the past. But in 1991, Davis relented. Despite having pneumonia, he agreed to perform the music at the Montreux Jazz Festival. The recording, Miles & Quincy Live at Montreux, was his last album; he died several months afterward.

In 1993, Jones collaborated with David Salzman to produce the concert An American Reunion, a celebration of Bill Clinton's inauguration as President of the United States. During the same year, he and Salzman renamed his company to Quincy Jones/David Salzman Entertainment.

In 2001, Jones published his autobiography Q: The Autobiography of Quincy Jones. On July 31, 2007, he partnered with Wizzard Media to start the Quincy Jones Video Podcast. In each episode, he shares his knowledge and experience in the music industry. The first episode features him in the studio producing "I Knew I Loved You" for Celine Dion. This is included on the Ennio Morricone tribute album We All Love Ennio Morricone.

Jones helped produce Anita Hall's 2009 album Send Love. In 2013, he produced Emily Bear's album Diversity. After that, he produced albums for Grace, Justin Kauflin, Alfredo Rodríguez, Andreas Varady, and Nikki Yanofsky. He also became a mentor to Jacob Collier.

In 2017, Jones and French producer Reza Ackbaraly started Qwest TV, the world's first subscription video-on-demand (SVOD) service for jazz and eclectic music from around the world. The platform features a handpicked selection of ad-free concerts, interviews, documentaries, and exclusive, original content, all in HD or 4K.

In 2010, Jones, along with brand strategist Chris Vance, co-founded Playground Sessions, a NY City-based developer of subscription software that teaches people to play the piano using interactive videos. Pianists Harry Connick Jr. and David Sides are among the company's video instructors. Jones worked with Vance and Sides to develop the video lessons and incorporate techniques to modernize the instruction format.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quincy_Jones

Continued below.

Re: Quincy Jones Is 91 Years Old by naptu2: 9:26pm On Mar 14
Work with Frank Sinatra

Quincy Jones first worked with Frank Sinatra in 1958 when invited by Princess Grace to arrange a benefit concert at the Monaco Sporting Club. Six years later, Sinatra hired him to arrange and conduct Sinatra's second album with Count Basie, It Might as Well Be Swing (1964). Jones conducted and arranged Sinatra's live album with the Basie Band, Sinatra at the Sands (1966). Jones was also the arranger/conductor when Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr., Dean Martin, and Johnny Carson performed with the Basie orchestra in June 1965 in St. Louis, Missouri, in a benefit for Dismas House. The fund-raiser was broadcast to movie theaters around the country and eventually released on VHS. Later that year, Jones was the arranger/conductor when Sinatra and Basie appeared on The Hollywood Palace TV show on October 16, 1965. Nineteen years later, Sinatra and Jones teamed up for 1984's L.A. Is My Lady. Jones said,

Frank Sinatra took me to a whole new planet. I worked with him until he passed away in '98. He left me his ring. I never take it off. Now, when I go to Sicily, I don't need a passport. I just flash my ring.

Work with Michael Jackson

While working on the film The Wiz, Michael Jackson asked Jones to recommend some producers for his upcoming solo album. Jones offered some names but eventually offered to produce the record himself. Jackson accepted and the resulting record, Off the Wall, sold about 20 million copies. This made Jones the most powerful record producer in the industry at that time. Jones and Jackson's next collaboration, Thriller, sold 65 million copies and became the highest-selling album of all time. The rise of MTV and the advent of music videos as promotional tools also contributed to Thriller's sales. Jones worked on Jackson's album Bad, which sold 45 million copies, and was the last time they worked with each other. Audio interviews with Jones are included in the 2001 special editions of Off the Wall, Thriller, and Bad.

In a 2002 interview, when asked if he would work with Jones again, Jackson suggested he might. But in 2007, when Jones was asked by NME, he said, "Man, please! We already did that. I have talked to him about working with him again but I've got too much to do. I've got 900 products, I'm 74 years old."

Following Jackson's death on June 25, 2009, Jones said:

I am absolutely devastated at this tragic and unexpected news. For Michael to be taken away from us so suddenly at such a young age, I just don't have the words. Divinity brought our souls together on The Wiz and allowed us to do what we were able to throughout the '80s. To this day, the music we created together on Off the Wall, Thriller and Bad is played in every corner of the world, and the reason for that is because he had it all ... talent, grace, professionalism, and dedication. He was the consummate entertainer, and his contributions and legacy will be felt upon the world forever. I've lost my little brother today, and part of my soul has gone with him.

In October 2013, the BBC and The Hollywood Reporter said Jones planned to sue Michael Jackson's estate for $10 million. Jones said that MJJ Productions, a song company managed by Jackson's estate and Sony Music Entertainment, improperly re-edited songs to deprive him of royalties and production fees and breached an agreement giving him the right to remix master recordings for albums released after Jackson's death. The songs Jones produced for Jackson were used in the film This Is It. Jones was reported to be filing the suits against the Michael Jackson Cirque du Soleil shows and the 25th-anniversary edition of the Bad album. He believed he should have received a producer credit in the film.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quincy_Jones

Picture of Michael Jackson, Prince and Quincy Jones.

Re: Quincy Jones Is 91 Years Old by naptu2: 9:26pm On Mar 14
Do you know Corrida?

naptu2:
I've got a confession to make. I didn't know the lyrics of this wonderful song when it was released in 1980, so what I used to sing was

I know Farridah.

grin

Then I graduated to "I know Korea", before I eventually got the lyrics.

This was one of those watch night songs.

You see, although there were power cuts back then, it was quite rare for them to last more than 5 hours. The power was usually back after one or two hours. So, if there's a power cut that has gone on for more than 5 hours (especially if they don't bring back the electricity before nightfall) then we'll know that there's a major fault.

Old Man would bring out his battery powered radio and you'll hear this kind of songs. Then they'll announce that there's a fault and tell us exactly when electricity would be restored. And they always restored it when they said that they would.

I can't find the album version, but this is the closest to it.

Quincy Jones - Ai No Corrida (1980)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIuc-wBOa8Y

naptu2:
YES!

YES!

YES!

I'VE FOUND THE ORIGINAL ALBUM VERSION!

Quincy Jones - Ai No Corrida (1981).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVTVheyDY4s?si=smCo5q7kYpyPrm67

naptu2:
AT LAST! AT LAST!

This is the album version!

Quincy Jones - Ai No Corrida (1981)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVTVheyDY4s?si=smCo5q7kYpyPrm67
Re: Quincy Jones Is 91 Years Old by joseph1832(m): 9:31pm On Mar 14
Happy birthday to Mr Jones.

A very big thank you to him for filling our ears and hearts with good music. Cheers.
Re: Quincy Jones Is 91 Years Old by finallybusy: 1:32am On Mar 15
All he’s waiting for now is death. What’s there to achieve again?
Re: Quincy Jones Is 91 Years Old by naptu2: 4:42am On Mar 15
This brings back so many memories. smiley

Everybody
♪Back
Back on the block
Back
Back on the block

Back, on the block, so we can rock
With the soul, rhythm, blues, be bop and hip hop
Back on the block
Back on the block

Ice-T

Ice-T, let me kick my credentials
A young player, bred in South Central
L.A., home of the body bag
You wanna die, wear the wrong color rag

I used to walk in stores and yell, "Lay down"
You flinch an inch AK spray down
But I was lucky 'cause I never caught the hard time
I was blessed with the skill to bust a dope rhyme

All my homies died or caught the penzo
Lost their diamonds, cops towed their Benzos
Livin' that life that we thought was it
Fast lanin', but the car flipped

I'm not gonna lie to ya, 'cause I don't lie
I just kick thick game, some people say why?
'Cause I'm back on the block, I got my life back
So I school the fools about the fast track

I get static from the style of my technique
Profanity, the blatant way in which I speak
But the Dude knows the streets ain't no kiddie game
You don't know the Dude? Quincy's his first name

He told me, Ice, keep doin' what you're doin', man
Don't give a damn if the squares don't understand
You let 'em tell you what to say and what to write
Your whole career'll be over by tomorrow night

Rap from your heart, and your heart's with the street
Rap on my record, man, Kimiko, send Ice the beat
The Dude is def no doubt, what can I say?
The man can roll with Ice-T or Michael J

Chorus

Back
Back on the block
Back
Back on the block

Back on the block
Back on the block

Melle Mel

I'm back, on the block, on the screen
I'm on the wax, I'm on the stage, I'm on the scene
I'm on the case, just like an attorney
The Dude took me on a magic journey

To dance in France, alone in Rome
On the farmlands of Nebraska, the cold of Alaska
The heat of the motherland to be with my brother man
On top of a snowcapped mountain I'm scoutin'

What another man saw in a race of people
To see him give his life for the price of equal
The highest wisdoms, the richest kingdoms
The song of songs we heard David sing them

He showed me me when I was young and hung out
He showed me makin' love, even showed me strung out
He showed me poppin' nines, standin' on a rock
But tears came to my eyes when he showed me my block

Chorus

Ba-ba-back on the
Ba-back on
Ba-ba-back on the block
Ba-ba-back on
Ba-ba-back on the block

Tevin Campbell (and the Andrea Crouch Choir)

Stokie's just Stokie, mama
(Stokie's Stokie)
And one by one each woman he kiss
(He kiss her and she gon' fall in love)
Stokie's just Stokie, you know?
(Stokie's Stokie)
Till someone shows that they care enough
(Ain't nothin' gonna bother Stokie much)

Some say they can't take it no more
(Comin' here, comin' here startin' stuff)
But Dude is back on duty fo' sho'
(Back on the block to stay)
They say he ain't gonna be with it
(Comin' back, comin' back to the street)
But Dude he know you'll never forget it
(Back on the block to stay)

Big Daddy Kane
Back up and give the brother room
To let poetry bloom to whom it may concern or consume
As I reminisce before this the bliss that exist
But now we brought about a twist

'Cause I remember reading of my people bleedin'
Put through slavery and killed for bravery
We shoulda got our freedom much sooner
You never seen a Blackman on The Honeymooners

But now somehow we've learned to earn, to grow, to show
The elevation of a people built is so

Jesse Jackson, Miss America a black one
No more livin' for just a small fraction

I was once told by the Dude that knowledge is a food
To nourish, so to conclude
This from an Asiatic descendant, Big Daddy is shocked
Yo Q, we back on the block

Chorus
Back
Back on the block
Back
Back on the block

Back on the block
Back on the block

Kool Moe Dee
An everlasting omnipresence is my present
State of being, seeing the unpleasant
Sight of righteous souls live like peasants
The mind stunts growth in adolescence

My insight enables me to enlight
The weakest of minds, and I put 'em in flight
As I transcend, a-scend or de-scend
Re-create, re-incarnate and re-send

The powerful spirits of our ancestors
For those that don't know how God blessed us
Because man messed up, the media dressed up
Lies perpetrated as truth, and it left us

Confused, but I've seen it all before
From Babylon to the Third World War
I'm more than a man, I'm more like an entity
Back on the block, and this time my identity is the Dude

Chorus
Ba-ba-back on the
Ba-back on
Ba-ba-back on the block
Ba-ba-back on
Ba-ba-back on the block

Tevin Campbell (and the Andrea Crouch Choir)
Stoki, ke Stoki, mai-bo
(Stoki, Stoki)
Wam babma, wam bamb'u mandisa
(Wahm bamba wahm bamboo mandisa)
Stoki, ke Stoki, mai-bo
(Stoki, Stoki)
Wam babma, wam bamb'u mandisa
(Wahm bamba wahm bamboo mandisa)

M'yeke, yeke, yeke, wena
(Kha'mye, kha'myeke wena)
Yo khala, khala, khala, u mama
(Yo khal'u mama khe)

M'yeke, yeke, yeke, wena
(Kha'mye, kha'myeke, wena)
Yo khala, kha, 'yok 'shaya u baba
(Yok shaya u baba khe)

(Ooh wow ooh wow ah, ooh yeah e yeah e ah)
Back on the block
Ba-ba-back on the
Ba-ba-back on the block
Ba-ba-back on
Ba-ba-back on the block
Ba-ba-back on the
Ba-ba-back on the block
Ba-ba-back on the block

Quincy Jones
Now I would, I would contend that ah
The rappers rap is here to stay♫

Quincy Jones ft Ice T, Big Daddy Kane, Kool Moe Dee and Melle Mel - Back on The Block (1989).

Album version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LayBnihUGo

Video version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsTgD1OEeic

naptu2:
It's from a VHS tape that has been watched too many times, so the audio is almost gone, but it is sure worth watching it again.

The only thing that I don't like about this performance is the way Melle Mel cut off Tevin Campbell at the end.

Melle Mel and Quincy Jones did the intro and then the main song began.

Quincy Jones featuring Ice T, The Andrae Crouch Choir, Tevin Campbell, Melle Mel and Big Daddy Kane - Back on The Block live on the Arsenio Hall Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmBOR1n247g
Re: Quincy Jones Is 91 Years Old by naptu2: 4:42am On Mar 15
Produced by Quincy Jones.

naptu2:
This. Is. Perfection!

If you didn't hear me before, I said, THIS IS PERFECTION!

This was my introduction to Michael Jackson (the solo artiste) and it left me wowed. The video was perfect (to my 1980 mind), the tuxedo was perfect, the dance steps were perfect, then just listen to the music!

I play music and I have noticed something that happens in my head. I separate songs into each musical instrument and I study what each instrument does line by line. I once made money off a friend of mine because I told him that a certain song contains a certain line (on the keyboard) and he didn't believe me so we had a bet. That line was quite obscure, but he heard it when I played the song to him and I won my money.

The arrangement of this song is excellent. Every instrument is excellent. The percussion is unbelievable.

This (and the video in the last post) is how videos were before Thriller.

Do you know that there is a Nigerian version of this song? I'll post a video of the Nigerian version one day.

Michael Jackson - Don't Stop Till You Get Enough (1979)

naptu2:
This song is absolutely perfect. The video is perfect, the arrangement is perfect, the dancing is perfect and the singing is perfect. Everything is just perfect.

This was my inteoduction to Michael Jackson (as a solo artiste). The Nigerian version of this song will be in my next post.

Michael Jackson - Don't Stop Till You Get Enough (1979).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yURRmWtbTbo
Re: Quincy Jones Is 91 Years Old by naptu2: 4:43am On Mar 15
naptu2:
These are the super legends, but did you hear the name of the conductor of one of the orchestras? It was a certain Quincy Jones.

I didn't know that Johnny Carson could sing. He sang with the super legends!

Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Junior, Dean Martin and Johnny Carson - The Birth of The Blues (1965).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvY8o1UYw6s

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Quincy Jones Is 91 Years Old by naptu2: 6:06am On Mar 15
naptu2:
Images of starving Ethiopian kids, some of them too weak swat away flies from their face, circulated widely in 1984. The BBC was very instrumental in spreading these images. They produced several news clips about the civil war, separatist movement, drought, famine and devastation in Ethiopia. Those clips left me with the impression that Ethiopia was a desert country that was perpetually at war.

These news items about poverty, starvation and suffering moved an Irish musician named Bob Geldoff to want to do something about it. He mobilised the most famous British and Irish musicians to record an album to raise funds to provide food, drugs and other aid to suffering people in Ethiopia.

This led to the creation of the super group called Band Aid and a humongously popular song that was number 1 at Christmas in 1984. The song was produced by Midge Ure and Band Aid were:

•Robert "Kool" Bell (Kool & the Gang)
•Bono (U2)
•Pete Briquette (The Boomtown Rats)
•Adam Clayton (U2)
•Phil Collins (Genesis and solo artist)
•Chris Cross (Ultravox)
•Simon Crowe (The Boomtown Rats)
•Sarah Dallin (Bananarama)
•Siobhan Fahey (Bananarama)
•Johnny Fingers (The Boomtown Rats)
•Bob Geldof (The Boomtown Rats)
•Boy George (Culture Club)
•Glenn Gregory (Heaven 17)
•Tony Hadley (Spandau Ballet)
•John Keeble (Spandau Ballet)
•Gary Kemp (Spandau Ballet)
•Martin Kemp (Spandau Ballet)
•Simon Le Bon (Duran Duran)
•Marilyn
•George Michael (Wham!)
•Jon Moss (Culture Club)
•Steve Norman (Spandau Ballet)
•Rick Parfitt (Status Quo)
•Nick Rhodes (Duran Duran)
•Francis Rossi (Status Quo)
•Sting (The Police)
•Andy Taylor (Duran Duran)
•James "J.T." Taylor (Kool & the Gang)
•John Taylor (Duran Duran)
•Roger Taylor (Duran Duran)
•Dennis Thomas (Kool & the Gang)
•Midge Ure (Ultravox)
•Martyn Ware (Heaven 17)
•Jody Watley
•Paul Weller (The Style Council)
•Keren Woodward (Bananarama)
•Paul Young

And shoutouts from
•Stuart Adamson, Mark Brzezicki, Tony Butler, Bruce Watson (Big Country)
•David Bowie
•Holly Johnson (Frankie Goes to Hollywood)
•Paul McCartney

Many other famous artistes contributed other songs to the album.

This is the original video.

Band Aid – Do They Know It's Christmas? (1984)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc8TYsYb5i0

Band Aid inspired the American singer, Harry Belafonte to do something similar in the US. Belafonte has always been involved in African-American civil rights issues in America and in the fight against apartheid and poverty in Africa (Belafonte is of Jamaican descent).

Belafonte was able to get many famous American singers to form the super group United Support Artistes For Africa (USA For Africa). They got Quincy Jones to produce the song and Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie to write it.

(Many other famous artistes, e.g. Prince, contributed songs to the album).

USA For Africa were:

• Lionel Richie
• Stevie Wonder
• Paul Simon
• Kenny Rogers
• James Ingram
• Tina Turner
• Billy Joel
• Michael Jackson
• Diana Ross
• Dionne Warwick
• Willie Nelson
• Al Jarreau
• Bruce Springsteen
• Kenny Loggins
• Steve Perry
• Daryl Hall
• Huey Lewis
• Cyndi Lauper
• Kim Carnes
• Bob Dylan
• Ray Charles

• Dan Aykroyd
• Harry Belafonte
• Lindsey Buckingham
• Mario Cipollina
• Johnny Colla
• Sheila E.
• Bob Geldof
• Bill Gibson
• Chris Hayes
• Sean Hopper
• Jackie Jackson
• La Toya Jackson
• Marlon Jackson
• Randy Jackson
• Tito Jackson
• Waylon Jennings
• Bette Midler
• John Oates
• Jeffrey Osborne
• The Pointer Sisters
• Smokey Robinson

This is the original video.

USA For Africa – We Are The World (1985)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YShXibdWYk

The Canadians (Bryan Adams, etc.) also got together and produced this wonderful song (Gosh! I LOVE the chorus of this song).

Northern Lights are:

•Bryan Adams
•John Candy
•Joni Mitchell
•Burton Cummings
•Anne Murray
•Gordon Lightfoot
•Mike Reno (Loverboy) with Liberty Silver
•Carroll Baker, Ronnie Hawkins and Murray McLauchlan
•Véronique Béliveau, Robert Charlebois and Claude Dubois (in French)
•Bryan Adams with Donny Gerrard (Skylark)
•Alfie Zappacosta with Lisa Dal Bello
•Carole Pope (Rough Trade) and Paul Hyde (The Payola$)
•Salome Bey, Mark Holmes (Platinum Blonde) and Lorraine Segato (The Parachute Club)
•Tom Cochrane (Red Rider)
•Tommy Hunter
•Martha Johnson
•Eugene Levy
•Frank Mills
•Kim Mitchell
•Paul Shaffer
•Graham Shaw
•Jane Siberry
•Sylvia Tyson
•Barry Harris
•Catherine O'Hara
•Wayne St. John

Northern Lights – Tears Are Not Enough (1985)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJN3u1wAWIk?si=kyliZenoGbeOGR5R

2 Likes

Re: Quincy Jones Is 91 Years Old by naptu2: 6:32am On Mar 15
naptu2:
Quincy Jones featuring Ray Charles and Chaka Khan - I'll Be Good To You (1989).

Original video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLys45McU8g

Audio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3qo3sZZyps
Re: Quincy Jones Is 91 Years Old by armadeo(m): 2:58pm On Mar 17
Happy birthday quincy Jones.

You Gave us some majestic music.
Re: Quincy Jones Is 91 Years Old by naptu2: 5:39pm On Mar 17
Modified.
Re: Quincy Jones Is 91 Years Old by armadeo(m): 7:42pm On Mar 17
naptu2:

He's not dead. March 14 was his birthday.

I'm fatigued. Modified.
Re: Quincy Jones Is 91 Years Old by armadeo(m): 8:05pm On Mar 17
naptu2:

He's not dead. March 14 was his birthday.

Pls delete.

(1) (Reply)

Portable – Brotherhood : Premieres Globally: MUST LISTEN / True By Mayorkun Featuring Kizz Daniel / [donemmynaija Music] Dammy Krane – Trotro Ft Kwesi Arthur

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.