Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,501 members, 7,812,552 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:15 PM

Police Admit Killing Barrister Elias Ugwu In Error - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Police Admit Killing Barrister Elias Ugwu In Error (33136 Views)

Theophilus Ugwu Sentenced To Death In Vietnam For Smuggling Drugs / Orhena Bartholomew Sent To Jail For refusal To Return Money Sent To Him In Error / Samuel Elias Commits Suicide! UNN Final Year Student Drinks Sniper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Admit Killing Barrister Elias Ugwu In Error by NaijaCover(m): 7:13am On Mar 15
The Kogi State Police Command has admitted complacency in the killing of Barrister Elias Ugwu last week Friday.

It admitted that the Nsukka-based lawyer was killed in error.

DAILY POST reported that Barr Ugwu’s shocking death threw the entire people of Nsukka and the Nigerian Bar Association, NBA, into serious mourning.

In a statement by its Public Relations Officer, SP. Williams Anya on Thursday in Lokoja, the police said they mistook the late lawyer to be a member of the armed robbery gang that robbed some banks a day earlier.

Barrister Ugwu was killed in Anyigba last week Friday by policemen while he was in the state to pay ransom for his cousin who was kidnapped some days back.

The police statement titled: “Setting the record straight” partly read, “It would be recalled that, on 07/03/2024, Armed Robbers invaded Anyigba in Dekina Local Government Area of Kogi State and robbed three Banks and also attacked Police Stations. A Tactical Team was deployed to the Area to restore normalcy and trail the hoodlums with a view to apprehending and bringing them to deserved justice.

The Tactical Team received a report that some persons were sighted in a bush around Alade Village in Dekina Local Government with an Ox-blood Toyota Avalon Car roaming up and down for two days or more asking the villagers for directions around the place where two vehicles and two motorcycles abandoned by the armed robbers were recovered.

The operatives promptly swung into action and in conjunction with the local vigilantes moved into the Area. When they sighted the car already described by the villagers, they waved down the driver to stop but instead, zoomed off.

In a bid to stop the car, shots were fired at the tyres of the car which brought it to a halt. It was then discovered that the car conveyed three persons, (the driver and two others).

The two men gave their names as Chidi Anieke and Elias Ugwu both of Nkanu and Ihiakpoka, Nsukka, while the driver was identified as Barr. Elias Ugwu. The driver sustained injury and was taken to the Maria Goretti Hospital Anyigba for treatment where he gave up the ghost. The two surviving men stated that they were in Alade bush in Dekina Local Government for ransom payment to secure the release of a victim of kidnapping.

They equally stated that they were not aware of the bank robbery that took place in Anyigba, Dekina Local Government and that they did not report or inform the police of the alleged kidnap incident nor of their presence or mission in that area, hence they were suspected to be part of the hoodlums that invaded Anyigba on 7th March, 2024.

“The Commissioner of Police, Kogi State Police Command, extends his condolences to the family of the deceased over the unfortunate incident which was avoidable if they had stopped when they were waved down by the police who were with their patrol vehicle at the scene.”

Source: https://dailypost.ng/2024/03/14/we-mistook-him-for-armed-robber-police-admit-killing-enugu-lawyer-in-error/

See Previous Thread - https://www.nairaland.com/8028846/enugu-lawyer-eli-ugwu-shot

6 Likes

Re: Police Admit Killing Barrister Elias Ugwu In Error by NaijaCover(m): 7:14am On Mar 15
Enugu Lawyer, May Your Gentle Soul Rest Well

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Police Admit Killing Barrister Elias Ugwu In Error by Creamypie(m): 7:16am On Mar 15
Ahh see excuse. Even a civilian will not shoot an unarmed person

176 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Police Admit Killing Barrister Elias Ugwu In Error by ceragon123: 7:28am On Mar 15
Meaning Nigerians must carry police along in ransome paying even when it is ominous.

Only God can help us now.

73 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Police Admit Killing Barrister Elias Ugwu In Error by Barrywilly(m): 7:29am On Mar 15
Very usel@ss and lazy policemen. They are very good at giving lame excuses. The robbers operated in Anyigba for several hours unchallenged by the police only for them to surface after the robbers had left successfully and begin to shoot unharmed civilians.

191 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Police Admit Killing Barrister Elias Ugwu In Error by Namaster: 7:30am On Mar 15
“The Commissioner of Police, Kogi State Police Command, extends his condolences to the family of the deceased over the unfortunate incident which was avoidable if they had stopped when they were waved down by the police who were with their patrol vehicle at the scene.”

Look at that. Blame the dead guy for getting killed.

Imagine a bunch of cowardly idiots who ran and hid when armed robbers were raining down bullets like snow on Christmas eve saying they shot an innocent man with NO GUN in sight because they mistook him for an armed robber.

NPF needs to be disbanded and reformed individually by each state. The current one is full of greedy, cowardly and incompetent fools that should NEVER be allowed near a police station unless it's to throw them in jail.

129 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Police Admit Killing Barrister Elias Ugwu In Error by YOUNGELDER1(m): 7:36am On Mar 15
Nigeria failed its citizen again !
Smh May his soul rest in peace.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Police Admit Killing Barrister Elias Ugwu In Error by Macphenson: 7:38am On Mar 15
kk
Re: Police Admit Killing Barrister Elias Ugwu In Error by Lumarstone: 7:51am On Mar 15
Nigeria Police Force is part of the problem we're having in this country.

I left..!

68 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Police Admit Killing Barrister Elias Ugwu In Error by eeithis(m): 7:56am On Mar 15
Police should be killing it citizens at least one police one killing,ones a day...it will be like drug prescription....they kill in the morning they ask for forgiveness in the evening for God is a merciful God and will forgive them so that at the last day they will be among those that will enter the kingdom of heaven!!!

Re: Police Admit Killing Barrister Elias Ugwu In Error by Ance4Liverpool: 8:02am On Mar 15
The family of the lawyer should make sure the police pay the kind of compasation that will correct their brains any time they remember it. 50 billion will be nice

79 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Police Admit Killing Barrister Elias Ugwu In Error by santopelele(m): 8:31am On Mar 15
Unprofessionals we have as security operatives.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Admit Killing Barrister Elias Ugwu In Error by jeromestarks: 8:31am On Mar 15
Chineke!

Marry a virgin oooo, so that your children will not be mistaken for a criminal.

A woman who has been fvcked by many men will give birth to children who look like many men. One of her previous fvcker may be a criminal, police will just kill your child thinking he is the criminal.

Marry a virgin. Don't start a family with a dirty womb. Don't pour clean wine in a dirty cup.

9 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Police Admit Killing Barrister Elias Ugwu In Error by magoo10(m): 8:33am On Mar 15
It will not be well for those police men

2 Likes

Re: Police Admit Killing Barrister Elias Ugwu In Error by Earthquakes: 8:33am On Mar 15
Unnecessary lost of lives.
Rip to him and get to training NPF, it's a shame to compare you with police else where

2 Likes

Re: Police Admit Killing Barrister Elias Ugwu In Error by chigator2: 8:33am On Mar 15
Bb
Re: Police Admit Killing Barrister Elias Ugwu In Error by Mandate2023: 8:33am On Mar 15
Who did d enugu lawyer vote for......election have consequences

86 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Admit Killing Barrister Elias Ugwu In Error by NoSmoking: 8:33am On Mar 15
Sorry
Re: Police Admit Killing Barrister Elias Ugwu In Error by id4sho(m): 8:33am On Mar 15
Murdered in cold blood angry

Diallo
Song by Wyclef Jean

Boy I am so tired
I'll be glad when I get inside the house
Oh, I dropped my keys
Oh what tis bright light?
My God they must gonna rob me
Who these people with them all at they gonna rob me
I'm gonna take out my wallet to make sure they just get the money
Nothing else
Oh it's the police (whew)
I feel so much better
I will show them, I have my ID
So they know I am good people
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
I fear no evil for thou art with me thou ride with me
J-J-Jah! Ras-tafari
I can't forget you knotty dreads, y'all up in here
I gotta respect that, youknowhatI'msayin?
Night is in the air
Enemy on the borderline
Who'll be the next to fire
Forty-one shots by Diallo's side?
You said he reached sir
But he didn't have no piece sir
But now he rest in peace sir
In the belly of the beast sir
You guys are vampires
In the middle of the night
Suckin on human blood
Is that your appetite?
You said he reached sir
Have you ever been shot
Forty-one times?
Have you ever screamed
And no one heard you cry?
Have you ever died
Only so you can live?
Have you ever lived
Only so you can die again, then be born again
From these enemies, on the borderline
Who'll be the next to fire
Forty-one shots by Diallo's side?
You said he reached sir
You guys are vampires
Suckin on human blood
Is that your appetite sir?
You said he reached sir
Diallo, Diallo - similar to Steven Biko
Diallo, Diallo - you told me the murder was an error
Diallo, Diallo - but every man will be judged
Diallo, Diallo - according to his words
Have you ever been held
Against your will?
Taken to a dark place
Where not even scientists can reveal?
So what is for Ceasar
Let it be for Ceasar
Cause we don't want no peace
We want equal rights and justice for
Diallo, Diallo - you tell me that the murder was an error
Diallo, Diallo - but every man will be judged
Diallo, Diallo - according to his words
You know what?
You told me - that I wouldn't understand man
Tonight some cry - in the streets a burial
Survival of the fittest - only the strong will survive
How can I survive - with forty-one shots by my side?
You guys are murderers
Killin innocent people
Is that your appetite? Ohhh
You said he reached sir
You guys are vampires
Suckin on human blood
Is that your appetite?
You said he reached sir
Lick a shot for
Diallo, Diallo - I can hear your spirit callin, I can hear it
Diallo, Diallo - Ten thousand chariots with no riders
Diallo, Diallo - They on they way to America, I hear the tribe singin
They're sayin -
Diallo Diallo, tuye' Diallo
Se menm jen yo te tuye Matim Luther King
Amadou Diallo

41 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Police Admit Killing Barrister Elias Ugwu In Error by HateBigots: 8:33am On Mar 15
sad ... Imagine how many people they must have killed by "Error"... At least they admitted this one.

22 Likes

Re: Police Admit Killing Barrister Elias Ugwu In Error by cardoctor(m): 8:34am On Mar 15
Just imagine. God deliver us for this country ooo

1 Like

Re: Police Admit Killing Barrister Elias Ugwu In Error by Caramia2020(m): 8:34am On Mar 15
Armed robber ke
Re: Police Admit Killing Barrister Elias Ugwu In Error by Caspry5: 8:34am On Mar 15
In Nigeria, going out and coming back daily is a miracle on it's own. Rest in peace. 9ja failed you

12 Likes

Re: Police Admit Killing Barrister Elias Ugwu In Error by fawaz050(m): 8:34am On Mar 15
Haaaaa!

God deliver us from Nigerian Police. Bunch of incompetent misfits.
Re: Police Admit Killing Barrister Elias Ugwu In Error by wizelink(m): 8:34am On Mar 15
Just imagine excuse.senseless people. Why would a trained police officer shoot at an untrained civilian instead of normal arest? Make una begin to talk the truth. This death will also be swept under the carpet.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Admit Killing Barrister Elias Ugwu In Error by BarrElChapo(m): 8:35am On Mar 15
😥😥😥

1 Like

Re: Police Admit Killing Barrister Elias Ugwu In Error by Angelfrost(m): 8:35am On Mar 15
What a joke of a country!!!

You mistook an unarmed man for a robber!

Yet, you have never managed to shoot and kill one bandit or armed herdsman. Never!

Not only were Endsars agitation issues swept under the carpet, the police force has managed to become more corrupt, inept, and anti-citizens.

25 Likes

Re: Police Admit Killing Barrister Elias Ugwu In Error by talk2hb1(m): 8:36am On Mar 15
Trouble Evasion Tactics by the NPF

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Police Admit Killing Barrister Elias Ugwu In Error by yinkeys(m): 8:36am On Mar 15
Unarmed people are shot at
Without trial
Extra judicial killings or what
Im sure he stated he was a lawyer

6 Likes

Re: Police Admit Killing Barrister Elias Ugwu In Error by oyeb15: 8:38am On Mar 15
They don't want him to blow their secret. They were shocked that a lawyer is bringing rasom to their conspirators in d bush.

For the police to admit killing him, they have already achieved a bigger goal.

NBA should sue d division and persecute them. Police aid kidnappers and kidnaping/ robberies are done on daily bases in Kogi State.

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Police Admit Killing Barrister Elias Ugwu In Error by Ebukamatth(m): 8:38am On Mar 15
Na lie
Nigerian police have a bad record for killing innocent civilians

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Pours Dirty Water On Man Driving For Splashing Dirty Water On Him / Soldier Drills An Uninvited Guest In Delta, Makes Him Lie Inside Mud / Ritual Killer Caught With The Remains Of His Dead Victim In Ogun - Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.