Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,962 members, 7,810,666 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:00 PM

Bank Recapitalisation: 17 Out Of 24 Banks Might Not Meet CBN Capital Requirement - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Bank Recapitalisation: 17 Out Of 24 Banks Might Not Meet CBN Capital Requirement (25476 Views)

New CBN Capital: 25 Banks Need N3.89trn Fresh Funds To Meet Requirements / Bank Recapitalisation: Presidency Backs CBN, Investors Rush For Mega-Banks Stock / Six Banks Meet Cbn’s Dividend Payout Rule (names) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bank Recapitalisation: 17 Out Of 24 Banks Might Not Meet CBN Capital Requirement by ijustdey: 2:40pm On Mar 16
A new report from Ernst and Young estimates that 17 out of 24 banks might not meet the capital requirement from the CBN if it is…

A new report from Ernst and Young estimates that 17 out of 24 banks might not meet the capital requirement from the CBN if it is increased 15-fold from its current N25 billion.

Nairametrics, which quoted the report, said the finding discusses the options available to banks who might fall outside the capital requirements from the CBN.

Although the report acknowledged that financial soundness indicators show that Nigerian banks are largely safe and resilient as of 2023.

According to the report, the recent plan by the CBN to increase the capital base of banks will lead to a series of Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A) as witnessed during the last recapitalisation exercise in 2004/2005. The last recapitalisation exercise of the apex bank reduced the number of banks from 89 to 25.

It stated, “While the CBN governor gave no indication as to the magnitude of the proposed hike in the capital base, we have assumed what the proposed increment will be based on three different scenarios underpinned on current macroeconomic conditions. On the back of that, we were able to determine the number of banks (across the three licence types) that may fall below the new minimum capital thresholds.

“In a worst-case scenario, i.e., given a capital multiplier of 15, about 17 out of 24 banks would not meet the new minimum capital.”

The report noted that the plan to recapitalise banks is premised upon the recent devaluation of the naira in 2023. It explained that the exchange rate as of 2005 during the last exercise in 2005 stood at N132.9/$ but the naira currently exchange for over N1400/$.

Furthermore, the N25 billion capital base in 2005 amounted to $188.2 million, this has dropped significantly to a mere $18.4 million using the recent exchange rate.

https://dailytrust.com/bank-recapitalisation-17-out-of-24-banks-might-not-meet-cbn-capital-requirements-report/

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bank Recapitalisation: 17 Out Of 24 Banks Might Not Meet CBN Capital Requirement by Toluabigr8(m): 2:54pm On Mar 16
Count Stanbic IBTC Bank out of that 17, the only bank that has structure and always comply with CBN policies 100% is Stanbic IBTC Bank.

79 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Bank Recapitalisation: 17 Out Of 24 Banks Might Not Meet CBN Capital Requirement by 99thEnemy(m): 2:55pm On Mar 16
CBN should please list them

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Recapitalisation: 17 Out Of 24 Banks Might Not Meet CBN Capital Requirement by Risingblue008(m): 2:55pm On Mar 16
I just wish dt uba is among

These pple no wan free my money since i tell dem say i wan close my account

They almost took offence ooo
For my own account
My money wey dem never refund don reach to pay for somebody shop rent

23 Likes

Re: Bank Recapitalisation: 17 Out Of 24 Banks Might Not Meet CBN Capital Requirement by ignis: 2:55pm On Mar 16
It's a shame that we allow our policies and Economy to depend on Dollar exchange rate.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Recapitalisation: 17 Out Of 24 Banks Might Not Meet CBN Capital Requirement by Donlamzy(m): 2:56pm On Mar 16
Nothing must happen to the 2k in my kuda o, i no wan hear story o

6 Likes

Re: Bank Recapitalisation: 17 Out Of 24 Banks Might Not Meet CBN Capital Requirement by Faber(m): 2:56pm On Mar 16
If you bank is not among FUGAZ,(FBN, UBA, GT, ACCESS and ZENITH Bank) Know say your dey play ping pong with your funds, your money fit loss at any time as those smaller banks go begin find ways and means to raise the new capital base. Shine ur eyes o

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bank Recapitalisation: 17 Out Of 24 Banks Might Not Meet CBN Capital Requirement by Helpfromabove1(m): 2:57pm On Mar 16
With all the gains from Fx transactions

Anyway it’s not new soludo did it 20yrs ago from 89 banks down to 24 capital base from 2b to 20b so 17 is still better

Which one of this banks can make the 7 left

My prediction

First bank
Access bank
Gtbank
Stanbic ibtc
Citi bank
Standard Chartered
And maybe UBA

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Recapitalisation: 17 Out Of 24 Banks Might Not Meet CBN Capital Requirement by Djele: 2:57pm On Mar 16
FCMB abeg make i go withdraw my money now. I nor won hear

1 Like

Re: Bank Recapitalisation: 17 Out Of 24 Banks Might Not Meet CBN Capital Requirement by CodeTemplar: 2:57pm On Mar 16
Long overdue. Maybe they can start giving SMEs loan.

6 Likes

Re: Bank Recapitalisation: 17 Out Of 24 Banks Might Not Meet CBN Capital Requirement by Mummiesboy: 2:59pm On Mar 16
It should be reduce to 10 so as the central bank having total control of the commercial banks

5 Likes

Re: Bank Recapitalisation: 17 Out Of 24 Banks Might Not Meet CBN Capital Requirement by datola: 3:00pm On Mar 16
It is sure for these banks:

First Bank
GTBank
Zenith Bank
Access Bank

21 Likes

Re: Bank Recapitalisation: 17 Out Of 24 Banks Might Not Meet CBN Capital Requirement by Oka4: 3:00pm On Mar 16
This is where OPAY comes in

16 Likes

Re: Bank Recapitalisation: 17 Out Of 24 Banks Might Not Meet CBN Capital Requirement by datola: 3:00pm On Mar 16
Toluabigr8:
Count Stanbic IBTC Bank out of that 17, the only bank that has structure and always compliant with CBN policies. 100%

That has to be GTBank

12 Likes

Re: Bank Recapitalisation: 17 Out Of 24 Banks Might Not Meet CBN Capital Requirement by CartelKenneth: 3:01pm On Mar 16
So basically if you wan open bank for Nigeria it only requires $18m capital base?
Nawa o
This country has really hit rock bottom
Nigerian is finally dead
Tinubu has killed this country!!!

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Recapitalisation: 17 Out Of 24 Banks Might Not Meet CBN Capital Requirement by christejames(m): 3:01pm On Mar 16
Bribery don finish for Nigeria? undecided

The weak banks will still find themselves in the system.

2 Likes

Re: Bank Recapitalisation: 17 Out Of 24 Banks Might Not Meet CBN Capital Requirement by Toluabigr8(m): 3:02pm On Mar 16
datola:
[/b]

That has to be GTBank

They play, just Google gtb + fine + CBN grin

6 Likes

Re: Bank Recapitalisation: 17 Out Of 24 Banks Might Not Meet CBN Capital Requirement by CartelKenneth: 3:02pm On Mar 16
From $188m to just $18m in just less than 19 years😂😂😂
God are u sleeping?
Why are u not paying attention to this circus joke that is Nigeria na

Time to break up this godforasken British experiment

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Recapitalisation: 17 Out Of 24 Banks Might Not Meet CBN Capital Requirement by Kelklein(m): 3:02pm On Mar 16

But the Banks made a lot of Bucks with all the Fx they have been getting from CBN but refused to trade or would rather trade at the backdoor via their own BDCs... very prevalent in the last administration..🤔

Also considering all the money they have helped políticians stash, fx capital issues shouldn't be a problem for them at all..

Also by the time Nigeria factor comes into play, meeting the capital requirementswould be a walk in the park for all of them.. same way the electricity DISCos all got their licences renewed while Nigerians were distracted with other things..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Recapitalisation: 17 Out Of 24 Banks Might Not Meet CBN Capital Requirement by CartelKenneth: 3:04pm On Mar 16
Oka4:

OPay has the way more than that capital base requirement
They are officiai the leading digital bank in Nigeria
Even commercial banks are scared of them

16 Likes

Re: Bank Recapitalisation: 17 Out Of 24 Banks Might Not Meet CBN Capital Requirement by CartelKenneth: 3:05pm On Mar 16
Djele:
FCMB abeg make i go withdraw my money now. I nor won hear

U too y u go dey use fcmb ?

2 Likes

Re: Bank Recapitalisation: 17 Out Of 24 Banks Might Not Meet CBN Capital Requirement by Smokeybrain(m): 3:07pm On Mar 16
I can sleep well with Zenith bank and Access bank...their capital base is over 1 trillion naira. My money dey safe with those two banks..no shaking

Genius J

1 Like

Re: Bank Recapitalisation: 17 Out Of 24 Banks Might Not Meet CBN Capital Requirement by menix(m): 3:07pm On Mar 16
Hmm..
Make them just sell Polaris and unity bank to me, make I Kukuma use their branches open hotel...

As for the above mentioned bank customers, make una just jejely carry una money go Opay...

11 Likes

Re: Bank Recapitalisation: 17 Out Of 24 Banks Might Not Meet CBN Capital Requirement by Pootle: 3:08pm On Mar 16
list the banks lets know, so we can withdraw our money jejely

1 Like

Re: Bank Recapitalisation: 17 Out Of 24 Banks Might Not Meet CBN Capital Requirement by Basicend: 3:09pm On Mar 16
Another rat race. .

Shebi most of them have manipulated the FX crises season to make loads of artificial profits. . Let's see how they survive in this context.

Nigerians have been milked by the MDs and directors of these banks heavily.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bank Recapitalisation: 17 Out Of 24 Banks Might Not Meet CBN Capital Requirement by Whois(m): 3:11pm On Mar 16
Oka4:

I love opay like kilode

3 Likes

Re: Bank Recapitalisation: 17 Out Of 24 Banks Might Not Meet CBN Capital Requirement by Godfullsam(m): 3:11pm On Mar 16
Will the increase in the capital base of commercial banks increase the value of naira?

1 Like

Re: Bank Recapitalisation: 17 Out Of 24 Banks Might Not Meet CBN Capital Requirement by Kelklein(m): 3:14pm On Mar 16
Oka4:

all these conventional Nigerian banks should take a tutorial from Opay on how to do straightforward banking..

1 Like

Re: Bank Recapitalisation: 17 Out Of 24 Banks Might Not Meet CBN Capital Requirement by shedy03(m): 3:15pm On Mar 16
Oka4:
Come in to do what?
They Thief my money, and they are ignoring my complaint.

3 Likes

Re: Bank Recapitalisation: 17 Out Of 24 Banks Might Not Meet CBN Capital Requirement by Taich(m): 3:16pm On Mar 16
It is now cheaper to own a bank in Nigeria than it was in 2005.

5 Likes

Re: Bank Recapitalisation: 17 Out Of 24 Banks Might Not Meet CBN Capital Requirement by Basicend: 3:18pm On Mar 16
Godfullsam:
Will the increase in the capital base of commercial banks increase the value of naira?

Not really.

It's basically to guide against banks' insolvency which will prevent loss to customers funds and investments.

It will also increase their lending power, which might indirectly advance productivity in the economy.

Although, increased productivity if channelled to exportation, can increase the strength of the naira.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bank Recapitalisation: 17 Out Of 24 Banks Might Not Meet CBN Capital Requirement by toujurs: 3:24pm On Mar 16
99thEnemy:
CBN should please list them
grin grin Your money abi lwkmd

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Check Out The Way Unity Bank Plc Celebrated Nigeria @56 / Our Refinery Will Supply First Product To Market By July, Says Dangote / Few Nigerian Banks May Collapse In 2016 – Report

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.