Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,095 members, 7,811,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:18 PM

Engine Replacement VS Engine Rebuilding! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Engine Replacement VS Engine Rebuilding! (554 Views)

Engine replacement at Ladipo! What should I be wary about? / Engine Replacement On ML350 / Rebuilding A 4runner 2005 1gr-fe Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Engine Replacement VS Engine Rebuilding! by ONNYX: 12:50am On Mar 20
Hello Guys,

My experience with engine purchases has not been so wonderful especially in the last few months. You get different assurances prior to payment and you still discover in the long run that you were sold a lemon despite the huge capital outlay involved.

But we have to keep moving.

I have been contemplating seriously about reverting to engine building. Three years ago one of our delivery vehicles (a 1999 Sienna) in our Enugu branch needed a new engine. We were however persuaded by our mechanic to rebuild the engine. What tilted our decision was the fact that he actually recommended someone else other than himself.

We did the job and that car is still running like a dream. Recently we brought the car over to Lagos and it is still doing very well.

We invited the Mechanic to Lagos but he says he cannot come as he has a long line of clients in Enugu where he is based.

Does anyone have an experience to share or a Lagos based mechanic he can recommend?
Re: Engine Replacement VS Engine Rebuilding! by McLizbae: 1:47am On Mar 20
Well, in the real world where this things actually work the way it should, people only buy engines for 3 reasons (1) the damage to the engine has affected the engine block, (2) you need the car running in the shortest possible time, so you can't wait for the long rebuild process, (3) you actually want to fill the vibes and aesthetics of a new (brand new silvery shinny block) engine in your car.

The only reason people venture to buy the half dead (tokunbo) engines here is because (1) the mechanics do not actually know the rebuilding job well enough (2) most of the rebuilding parts are fake, so they break down quickly.

Probability that the tokunbo engine you just bought is also a rebuild is 80%. And if it is not, the probability that it will last as long as a well rebuilt engine is 0. This is because, as long as the engine block is still intact, the old engine is meant to be rebuild.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Engine Replacement VS Engine Rebuilding! by lonelydora: 4:39am On Mar 20
McLizbae:
Well, in the real world where this things actually work the way it should, people only by engines for 2 reasons (1) you need the car running in the shortest possible time, so you can wait for the long rebuild process, (2) you actually want to fill the vibe of a new (brand new silvery shinny engine block) engine in your car.

The only reason people venture to buy the half dead (tokunbo) engines here is because (1) the mechanics do not actually know the rebuilding job well enough (2) most of the rebuilding parts are fake, so they break down quickly.

Probability that the tokunbo engine you just bought is also a rebuild is 80%.

As long as the engine block is still intact, the engine is meant to be rebuild.

This is actually true.

If you can order your parts directly from OEM, engine rebuild is the best option than replacement.

All these Ladipo boys sell dead engines are direct toks. Except you meet a truthful seller, but remember we are in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Engine Replacement VS Engine Rebuilding! by id4sho(m): 7:15am On Mar 20
With this crazy inflation and hardship. Lemons engine are more rampant.
Get a mechanic that work on commercial cars to rebuild your engine. You can identify that by seeing several commercial cars in their work shop. I've rebuilt a Toyota Hilux 2TR-FE engine and bitch is still firing up for 5yrs+

1 Like

Re: Engine Replacement VS Engine Rebuilding! by ONNYX: 8:18am On Mar 20
McLizbae:
Well, in the real world where this things actually work the way it should, people only by engines for 2 reasons (1) you need the car running in the shortest possible time, so you can wait for the long rebuild process, (2) you actually want to fill the vibe of a new (brand new silvery shinny engine block) engine in your car.

Probability that the tokunbo engine you just bought is also a rebuild is 80%.

As long as the engine block is still intact, the engine is meant to be rebuild.

Your post is superb.

Factual, objective and reflective of the true situation.

This has given great flavour to this thread. So much learning here.

Many thanks for this wonderful contribution.

1 Like

Re: Engine Replacement VS Engine Rebuilding! by ONNYX: 8:21am On Mar 20
id4sho:
With this crazy inflation and hardship. Lemons engine are more rampant.
Get a mechanic that work on commercial cars to rebuild your engine. You can identify that by seeing several commercial cars in their work shop. I've rebuilt a Toyota Hilux 2TR-FE engine and bitch is still firing up for 5yrs+

Impressive. Could you avail us his details here please? This kind of testimony could be beneficial for his business. This is the kind of stuff which this thread intends to foster.
Re: Engine Replacement VS Engine Rebuilding! by ONNYX: 8:23am On Mar 20
lonelydora:

This is actually true.

If you can order your parts directly from OEM, engine rebuild is the best option than replacement.

All these Ladipo boys sell dead engines are direct toks. Except you meet a truthful seller, but remember we are in Nigeria.

You may have to get a lamp to support sunlight in your quest for the bolded.

1 Like

Re: Engine Replacement VS Engine Rebuilding! by McLizbae: 9:04am On Mar 20
🤣🤣🤣
ONNYX:

You may have to get a lamp to support sunlight in your quest for the bolded.

1 Like

Re: Engine Replacement VS Engine Rebuilding! by McLizbae: 9:04am On Mar 20
Your welcome.
ONNYX:

Your post is superb.

Factual, objective and reflective of the true situation.

This has given great flavour to this thread. So much learning here.

Many thanks for this wonderful contribution.
Re: Engine Replacement VS Engine Rebuilding! by ONNYX: 11:00am On Mar 21
Could it be true that rebuilding of Korean Car engines are not advisable?

I have a few Hyundai Accents and Elantra that I would like to have the engines rebuilt.

Any advice here?

1 Like

Re: Engine Replacement VS Engine Rebuilding! by chukel(m): 10:00am On Mar 23
ONNYX:
Hello Guys,

My experience with engine purchases has not been so wonderful especially in the last few months. You get different assurances prior to payment and you still discover in the long run that you were sold a lemon despite the huge capital outlay involved.

But we have to keep moving.

I have been contemplating seriously about reverting to engine building. Three years ago one of our delivery vehicles (a 1999 Sienna) in our Enugu branch needed a new engine. We were however persuaded by our mechanic to rebuild the engine. What tilted our decision was the fact that he actually recommended someone else other than himself.

We did the job and that car is still running like a dream. Recently we brought the car over to Lagos and it is still doing very well.

We invited the Mechanic to Lagos but he says he cannot come as he has a long line of clients in Enugu where he is based.

Does anyone have an experience to share or a Lagos based mechanic he can recommend?
please can you share contact of this mechanic. Thanks
Re: Engine Replacement VS Engine Rebuilding! by ONNYX: 11:12am On Mar 23
chukel:
please can you share contact of this mechanic. Thanks

Yes I can but you must understand that he doesn't travel for work outside Enugu metropolis.
Re: Engine Replacement VS Engine Rebuilding! by numen(m): 6:48pm On Mar 23
Please share it. I'm in Enugu and his kind of services might be needed soon.

Thank you.

ONNYX:

Yes I can but you must understand that he doesn't travel for work outside Enugu metropolis.

Re: Engine Replacement VS Engine Rebuilding! by chukel(m): 8:18pm On Mar 23
ONNYX:

I'm in Enugu

(1) (Reply)

New Cars Under 10M NGN / Enquiry / Governments Long Term Plan For Imports And Auto Industry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.