Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,635 members, 7,813,098 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:58 AM

Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival (62083 Views)

Giant Fish Caught In Ibaji, Kogi State (Photos) / Fishermen Pose With Giant Fish Caught In Gbaranama, Bayelsa (Photos) / The Blue Marlin Fish Caught By A Nigerian Man Not Worth $2.6M - AFP Fact Check (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by AllahOfBlood: 10:12pm On Mar 22
grin
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by jubrilELsudan: 10:15pm On Mar 22
AS E BE SO E BE LIKE SEY NA THE FISH WEY SWALLOW JONAH BE THIS SO OOOO

Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by Teeklef(m): 10:15pm On Mar 22
missjekyll:

With people in their panties. Who s going to eat that? Not me
Okay,we are going to get those people with suit and tie to find yours for you😹

8 Likes

Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by JooEeL(m): 10:16pm On Mar 22
Gadafii:
There is nothing Nigeria and Nigerians need to survive that Gif has not provided, Good weather, fertile lands, rivers of fishes, forests of animals for our satisfaction,abundant natural resources but guess what??

We are cursed with bad leaders ...and cursed sahel invaders like fulanis and their infiltrated army
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by AllahOfBlood: 10:17pm On Mar 22
chigoziri2403:
Why is it only one specie of fish I am seeing

Don't mind nlfpm they keep taking trashes to front page without confirming the authenticity of the information. That was actually a pond harvest

2 Likes

Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by fitinwell: 10:21pm On Mar 22
Anunakeeh:

Abundance of Evil & Cursed People rather.

No be from the people the leader dey comot.

Greedy and Evil men

2 Likes

Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by Fearurcreeator: 10:22pm On Mar 22
Anunakeeh:

Lies they love telling themselves... Them no wan gree say na from them leaders dey emerge

1 Like

Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by Tetraozonaitera: 10:25pm On Mar 22
Anunakeeh:

Only in a sane world do leaders come from the people.
Nigeria is a different world.
Leaders come from leaders here.
The Evil politicians recircle themselves. So, don't expect a positive change.

2 Likes

Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by DCmaverick(m): 10:29pm On Mar 22
shocked shocked shocked shocked

Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by Riskymarvelous(m): 10:30pm On Mar 22
tofolo:
But why leave them outside on the floor like that?
forget about floor abeg hOt water Dey wey go clean am for dem I thank God say I come from waterside
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by 1972xy: 10:30pm On Mar 22
All the proceed must be deposited into the single Treasury account.
The fish is in Nigeria water.
Proceed share to three tier governments.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by clockwisereport: 10:31pm On Mar 22
During my days in Omoku, I learnt that Idu fish's bone is poisonous. Once they chook you the bone, you are as good as dead.

My friend told me he once chook a banana tree with idu fish bone and the banana tree started dwindling immediately. I dont know if this is true or not.

Again, cultists always make a weapon from Idu fish bone. They carefully fix it in a ballpoint pen casing and use it to wage war against rival cultists.

Cc ednut1

1 Like

Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by Kobicove(m): 10:37pm On Mar 22
Teeklef:

grin

3 Likes

Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by candygist: 10:43pm On Mar 22
missjekyll:

The dirty kpomo you eat in Lagos nko ?

3 Likes

Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by EjahPhilip(m): 10:44pm On Mar 22
I was there that day.

1 Like

Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by cliffypatt(m): 10:47pm On Mar 22
dkidd:
Just run better pepper soup and add yams to am when it's almost done. Enjoy ur loud as it gets ready and keep ur beer criminally cold. Life doesn't get better than this. Simple and sweet. No be by Azul

Well written 👏

1 Like

Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by cliffypatt(m): 10:48pm On Mar 22
clockwisereport:
During my days in Omoku, I learnt that Idu fish's bone is poisonous. Once they chook you the bone, you are as good as dead.

My friend told me he once chook a banana tree with idu fish bone and the banana tree started dwindling immediately. I dont know if this is true or not.

Again, cultists always make a weapon from Idu fish bone. They carefully fix it in a ballpoint pen casing and use it to wage war against rival cultists.

Cc ednut1

Write something about the good side of the catch/harvest, leave the bone matter.
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by mrdharkchild(m): 10:49pm On Mar 22
Teeklef:

For that guy, the fisherman and the fish must be educated.
Say na, the guy is on undies!!
Nigerian wey dey form OYIBO.
If na Chris Brown wear that underwear now nobody go complain about hygiene

Hehehehehehehehe

1 Like

Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by Teeklef(m): 10:53pm On Mar 22
mrdharkchild:

Hehehehehehehehe
No be lie bro😎
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by airsaylongcome: 10:53pm On Mar 22
missjekyll:

Then you must not be eating a lot in Nigeria then. If you knew how crayfish is caught, you probably will never eat another crayfish meal again. Garri? Spread on the roadside

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by jojothaiv(m): 10:57pm On Mar 22
dkidd:
Just run better pepper soup and add yams to am when it's almost done. Enjoy ur loud as it gets ready and keep ur beer criminally cold. Life doesn't get better than this. Simple and sweet. No be by Azul
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by lexy2014: 11:06pm On Mar 22
tofolo:
But why leave them outside on the floor like that?

because the money that should have used to develop the fishing industry, Wike used it build unnecessary flyovers, fight his enemies, buy form for all aspirants in Rivers and for election.

so we go manage the matter like that
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by Zeebuy: 11:09pm On Mar 22
mrdharkchild:

Hehehehehehehehe
Aswear bro
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by iLegendd(m): 11:11pm On Mar 22
Here is my real life story and everything you need to know about the fish.

The place the fish was caught is an oi-rich community that hosts different companies like AGIP and others. It's a 6-minute drive from my town, which is another oil-rich community.

This is how the pond works. Every community close to rivers in the Niger Delta has it. We have Orashi River with different kinds of fish every year.

Everyone in every community has a personal pond or inherited one. I have mine too. You can never touch another person's pond. If you dare and and you get caught, you'll be disgraced by the youth and you'll pay fine with yam, goat or fowl with some communities work.

Someone told me to accompany him to go bail his father's pond. When got there, he saw a small pond making lots of noise and when he checked, it had LOTS of giant fish.

We embarked on bailing it sharp sharp, but unfortunately, the owner caught us an hour later—come see temple run. It looks like he monitors it everyday.

Luckily for me and my friend, instead of reporting, he only took our bucket and boxers.

We carry nakēdness go back house for night. We had to wait until midnight before using cocoyam leaf to cover our nàkedness. Peer pressure been wan kill me those teenage years.

The funny part was the constant light in the community, all thanks to those oil companies. We were praying for darkness, for the light to go, but no way. To thief no good o. cheesy cheesy

Also, some extended families, which usually start with the prefix "umu" + whatever name they bear will also have a big family pond. It doesn't end there.

The entire community will also have. But, these family ponds and community ponds always have voodoo by the side.

Whether you believe in juju or not, don't EVER fish there, else, rest in peace. They put lots of hollow woods inside the pond to get an enclave so that the fish will see it as their home and won't leave that vicinity.

Two to five years later, some communities even leave theirs for 10 years, they harvest it together, but it's only shared by married men in the family and the unmarried ones who came to help them bail the pond.

How does fish enter?

In raining reason, water flows from Orashi River to those ponds with different kinds of fish. Unfortunately, catfish and West African lungfish (which loves mud), see image below, eat most of the other species of fish that followed them to the pond.

This doesn't mean there aren't other kinds of fish, but only the strong ones from those species survive the torturous 2-10 years battle.

Do the community people feed them?

No, nobody feeds them, except you want to go watch fish, then go with your bread. They feed on frogs, their SIMP siblings and other weak species that couldn't stand the heat, especially those transgender and gay fish in the pond that act so fragile and girly. It's like a prison. If you don't man up, you go down as feed for the alphas.

For the private or inherited ponds, you can bail it yourself with your pumping machine or bucket every dry season. No rules—it's yours.

Talking about the man that took our bucket and boxers, after I arriveed at night, 9PM, my family was already looking for me.

I sneaked into the bathroom and luckily there was a towel, but my mom still caught me at last and started querying me of my whereabout and asking of her iron pocket.

In the end, I confessed and told her who come convinced and how the man seized our buckets and clothes.

Long story short, After two days, she successfully got them back from the man (older than my parents) with lots of apologies while on her knees.

She later told me when I'm going to school, I should top in the man's house to tell him sorry for what happened.

That man was among the top 10 most wicked men in the community—he has never smiled ever since I knew him and he never looks for trouble either, but if you enter his trap, you're on your own. I didn't know it was his pond, else I wouldn't dare no matter how my guy would've persuaded me.

I was even thinking he'll use juju to kill us, but praise God, I'm alive today. grin Passing his house every day to school was one of the most difficult thing I did in my life. It's the main road I take everyday, so I had to change to a longer road. Criminals don't have peace of mind. cheesy

He had some beautiful children and they were my junior in school. I always pray for their father not to tell them the story before they'll cast it in school and everybody will start making fun of me. cheesy

Moral lesson:

Chai! Stealing is not good. People should desist from taking what isn't theirs—the trauma when you get caught is too much. I have learned a lot as a kid and that's why other people's things don't move me, except the thing is a woman I like but I don't know who her unserious boyfriend is. Anything apart from that, I can't steal it.

Oh, don't forget, this native dish is WAY sweeter and more expensive then the agric one trains in ponds and fed with feeds.

The end...

Oh,

One last thing, even though oil and gas leave our community every single minute, we still refill our gas cylinder at the highest price in the whole of Nigeria and the fish are also more expensive to buy here, than when taken to other states. So, it's better to go to the bush to get fish yourself than to buy from anyone here.

I known no whether them curse us for this Niger Delta. Na we dey produce, Na we still dey suffer am pass. Most of the tombo and alcohol in Nigeria are produced in the Niger Delta. Na only this one cheap for here so that we go drink and forget that we're being marginalized. This is why the region that marginalized us love calling us alcoholic.

They even called our former governor, Wiké King of Kaikai. cheesy

But true true, Wiké dey drink o. Him suppose come from Bayelsa. We Rivers people don't drink much.

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by Judolisco(m): 11:12pm On Mar 22
Gadafii:
There is nothing Nigeria and Nigerians need to survive that Gif has not provided, Good weather, fertile lands, rivers of fishes, forests of animals for our satisfaction,abundant natural resources but guess what??

We are cursed with bad leaders
your leaders are from where? U sef no fit become leader d next minute?
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by Judolisco(m): 11:14pm On Mar 22
EjahPhilip:
I was there that day.
bros dash me dry fish na
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by clockwisereport: 11:16pm On Mar 22
cliffypatt:

Write something about the good side of the catch/harvest, leave the bone matter.

I don share my experience; Share your own
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by GodPrince: 11:16pm On Mar 22
Only the Heterobranchus spp of the catfish can be like this. The hetro symbol is very visible on his back, it's Gonad will be very thick and good for spunning new generation
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by ChisomNkwocha1(m): 11:20pm On Mar 22
MoneyPlotter:
Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State, Nigeria - The tranquil waters of Idu, nestled within the heart of ONELGA in Rivers State, recently bore witness to an extraordinary spectacle during the annual fishing festival. Enthusiastic participants and local fishermen were left awe-struck as several massive fish were hauled in, underscoring the bountiful blessings of Ogba Land.
Bountiful!
The Fishing Festival, a cherished tradition in the region, turned into an unforgettable affair as nets were cast into the glistening waters, yielding a remarkable harvest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTCeHZoDNbU
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by ultim: 11:24pm On Mar 22
MoneyPlotter:
Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State, Nigeria - The tranquil waters of Idu, nestled within the heart of ONELGA in Rivers State, recently bore witness to an extraordinary spectacle during the annual fishing festival. Enthusiastic participants and local fishermen were left awe-struck as several massive fish were hauled in, underscoring the bountiful blessings of Ogba Land.

The Fishing Festival, a cherished tradition in the region, turned into an unforgettable affair as nets were cast into the glistening waters, yielding a remarkable harvest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTCeHZoDNbU

Africa is still far. What about conservation?
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by id4sho(m): 11:31pm On Mar 22
dkidd:
Your mind dey there cheesy

1 Like

Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by ufotunang: 11:35pm On Mar 22
Nigeria is really blessed..God has blessed this country with natural resources Mineral resources, crude oil ,gas, fertile lands for agriculture,good weather...it's just bad leaders that have destroyed this country

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Price Of 33cl Coke/Pepsi In Nigeria Vs Other Countries. / Oh My! See The Cockroach Cake Someone Got For Her Party / Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.