Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,725 members, 7,816,983 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:07 PM

Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival (62107 Views)

Giant Fish Caught In Ibaji, Kogi State (Photos) / Fishermen Pose With Giant Fish Caught In Gbaranama, Bayelsa (Photos) / The Blue Marlin Fish Caught By A Nigerian Man Not Worth $2.6M - AFP Fact Check (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by ufotunang: 11:37pm On Mar 22
See fish... Nigeria should be exporting fish .. Nigeria should be a great exporter of fish... quite unfortunate we are even importing the fish for consumption
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by ufotunang: 11:39pm On Mar 22
With all this abundant of fish..fish is still expensive in the market
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by Hawkler: 11:48pm On Mar 22
Gadafii:
There is nothing Nigeria and Nigerians need to survive that Gif has not provided, Good weather, fertile lands, rivers of fishes, forests of animals for our satisfaction,abundant natural resources but guess what??

We are cursed with bad leaders
Just like Venezuela!
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by akmome: 11:49pm On Mar 22
Wow! This is massive. We are so much naturally bless in this country but unfortunately we are not bless with good leaders yet.
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by MrJames007: 12:01am On Mar 23
So couldn't they make them look fresh by putting them in a container filled with water? undecided
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by PropertyBuying(f): 1:20am On Mar 23
MrDoGood:
Nice grin

But hunger dey the country
Please tell them abeg.
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by Anonimoux: 2:01am On Mar 23
Anunakeeh:

Abundance of Evil & Cursed People rather.
No be from the people the leader dey comot.
Thank you. Someone had to say it. The leaders emerged from the people. So that means some Nigerians are bad people, I.e selfish, self conceited, self-centered, evil, malicious and wicked.

1 Like

Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by CountinBlessins(m): 2:24am On Mar 23
tofolo:
But why leave them outside on the floor like that?

Because it's something they see everyday so now it's become so ordinary to them
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by enemyofprogress: 2:25am On Mar 23
Let the fish breathe. Stop killing them. Say no to eating of fish
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by nedekid: 2:30am On Mar 23
This is the original catfish. From mud. Those days they call them "obokun" grin
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by jessylaurel(f): 3:59am On Mar 23
MoneyPlotter:
Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State, Nigeria - The tranquil waters of Idu, nestled within the heart of ONELGA in Rivers State, recently bore witness to an extraordinary spectacle during the annual fishing festival. Enthusiastic participants and local fishermen were left awe-struck as several massive fish were hauled in, underscoring the bountiful blessings of Ogba Land.

The Fishing Festival, a cherished tradition in the region, turned into an unforgettable affair as nets were cast into the glistening waters, yielding a remarkable harvest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTCeHZoDNbU

These fish look dead.
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by Tommydare(m): 4:44am On Mar 23
Dey play.
missjekyll:

With people in their panties. Who s going to eat that? Not me
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by Honestey: 4:57am On Mar 23
[quote author=chigoziri2403 post=129054842]Why is it only one specie of fish I am seeing [/Ifquote]

Fish pond thing na.
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by seecould: 5:01am On Mar 23
ThìsGlobe.com
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by cococandy(f): 5:11am On Mar 23
That’s rotten

1 Like

Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by ikwikwi: 5:13am On Mar 23
This is good. If fishing festivals could be introduced in these riverine communities and funded by government, we will have plenty fish in the country with proper storage.
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by Cantonese: 5:52am On Mar 23
tofolo:

They would put them all together in large baskets and containers. All the fish would be shared, sold, distributed somehow. They would be cooked and eaten fresh or placed on firewood, etc for grilling, roasting, etc. Nothing would ever be wasted there or left to rot.

That’s the culture in most riverine communities starting this time of the year. That’s what those in the Niger Delta areas enjoy. Please find a friend who can take you to his community at this time. You go enjoy plenty pounded yam or fufu with your Nsala or black soup.
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by maasoap(m): 5:54am On Mar 23
missjekyll:

Do people go into the water to catch or harvest fish in full clothing? Dey dia
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by NorthernersSuck: 6:04am On Mar 23
Zwooks:
No be this location Dem be dey hide from us for tiktok. Our head don catch them
We dey storm that location with our boys soon

Make sure you protect your head when storming the location because we go use bullets scatter your head
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by victorclean(f): 6:15am On Mar 23
So Portharcourt are not ibos?
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by BRATISLAVA: 6:25am On Mar 23
tofolo:

Very disgusting. And they look like they're going to eat them.

They look like condemned fish.
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by chigoziri2403(m): 6:32am On Mar 23
[quote author=Honestey post=129062338][/quote]so, how is it a fishing festival
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by BRATISLAVA: 6:35am On Mar 23
iLegendd:
Here is my real life story and everything you need to know about the fish.

The place the fish was caught is an oi-rich community that hosts different companies like AGIP and others. It's a 6-minute drive from my town, which is another oil-rich community.

This is how the pond works. Every community close to rivers in the Niger Delta has it. We have Orashi River with different kinds of fish every year.

Everyone in every community has a personal pond or inherited one. I have mine too. You can never touch another person's pond. If you dare and and you get caught, you'll be disgraced by the youth and you'll pay fine with yam, goat or fowl with some communities work.

Someone told me to accompany him to go bail his father's pond. When got there, he saw a small pond making lots of noise and when he checked, it had LOTS of giant fish.

We embarked on bailing it sharp sharp, but unfortunately, the owner caught us an hour later—come see temple run. It looks like he monitors it everyday.

Luckily for me and my friend, instead of reporting, he only took our bucket and boxers.

We carry nakēdness go back house for night. We had to wait until midnight before using cocoyam leaf to cover our nàkedness. Peer pressure been wan kill me those teenage years.

The funny part was the constant light in the community, all thanks to those oil companies. We were praying for darkness, for the light to go, but no way. To thief no good o. cheesy cheesy

Also, some extended families, which usually start with the prefix "umu" + whatever name they bear will also have a big family pond. It doesn't end there.

The entire community will also have. But, these family ponds and community ponds always have voodoo by the side.

Whether you believe in juju or not, don't EVER fish there, else, rest in peace. They put lots of hollow woods inside the pond to get an enclave so that the fish will see it as their home and won't leave that vicinity.

Two to five years later, some communities even leave theirs for 10 years, they harvest it together, but it's only shared by married men in the family and the unmarried ones who came to help them bail the pond.

How does fish enter?

In raining reason, water flows from Orashi River to those ponds with different kinds of fish. Unfortunately, catfish and West African lungfish (which loves mud), see image below, eat most of the other species of fish that followed them to the pond.

This doesn't mean there aren't other kinds of fish, but only the strong ones from those species survive the torturous 2-10 years battle.

Do the community people feed them?

No, nobody feeds them, except you want to go watch fish, then go with your bread. They feed on frogs, their SIMP siblings and other weak species that couldn't stand the heat, especially those transgender and gay fish in the pond that act so fragile and girly. It's like a prison. If you don't man up, you go down as feed for the alphas.

For the private or inherited ponds, you can bail it yourself with your pumping machine or bucket every dry season. No rules—it's yours.

Talking about the man that took our bucket and boxers, after I arriveed at night, 9PM, my family was already looking for me.

I sneaked into the bathroom and luckily there was a towel, but my mom still caught me at last and started querying me of my whereabout and asking of her iron pocket.

In the end, I confessed and told her who come convinced and how the man seized our buckets and clothes.

Long story short, After two days, she successfully got them back from the man (older than my parents) with lots of apologies while on her knees.

She later told me when I'm going to school, I should top in the man's house to tell him sorry for what happened.

That man was among the top 10 most wicked men in the community—he has never smiled ever since I knew him and he never looks for trouble either, but if you enter his trap, you're on your own. I didn't know it was his pond, else I wouldn't dare no matter how my guy would've persuaded me.

I was even thinking he'll use juju to kill us, but praise God, I'm alive today. grin Passing his house every day to school was one of the most difficult thing I did in my life. It's the main road I take everyday, so I had to change to a longer road. Criminals don't have peace of mind. cheesy

He had some beautiful children and they were my junior in school. I always pray for their father not to tell them the story before they'll cast it in school and everybody will start making fun of me. cheesy

Moral lesson:

Chai! Stealing is not good. People should desist from taking what isn't theirs—the trauma when you get caught is too much. I have learned a lot as a kid and that's why other people's things don't move me, except the thing is a woman I like but I don't know who her unserious boyfriend is. Anything apart from that, I can't steal it.

Oh, don't forget, this native dish is WAY sweeter and more expensive then the agric one trains in ponds and fed with feeds.

The end...

Oh,

One last thing, even though oil and gas leave our community every single minute, we still refill our gas cylinder at the highest price in the whole of Nigeria and the fish are also more expensive to buy here, than when taken to other states. So, it's better to go to the bush to get fish yourself than to buy from anyone here.

I known no whether them curse us for this Niger Delta. Na we dey produce, Na we still dey suffer am pass. Most of the tombo and alcohol in Nigeria are produced in the Niger Delta. Na only this one cheap for here so that we go drink and forget that we're being marginalized. This is why the region that marginalized us love calling us alcoholic.

They even called our former governor, Wiké King of Kaikai. cheesy

But true true, Wiké dey drink o. Him suppose come from Bayelsa. We Rivers people don't drink much.

Interesting.

That should explain why there are only catfish. But how do you guys mark out your ponds? Do you dig out places and cement the interior, then wait for the rivers to fill them up?

Does one family own all those fish in a pile?
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by naija4life247: 6:58am On Mar 23
missjekyll:

No mind them, na three piece suits Dem supposed wear or three piece Sokoto, Buba, and Agbada
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by iLegendd(m): 7:48am On Mar 23
BRATISLAVA:

Interesting.

That should explain why there are only catfish. But how do you guys mark out your ponds? Do you dig out places and cement the interior, then wait for the rivers to fill them up?

Does one family own all those fish in a pile?
In most cases, one large family usually owns it. Other large families own theirs too. In few cases, it's the general one.

No, there is no cementing. The place has two to three different types of clay soil (red, milky, and one other one). The type used for building ceramic items.

Those types of soils are more water resistant than cement. Digging your own pond is not easy because of that soil, but our forefathers dug them anyways. Those men are strong.

Marking your pond? They're just like women. Every man can identify their wives or girlfriends in a crowd of 1 million women.

There are actually 10-20 other kinds of fish there (electric fish, tilapia, crab, etc.) but they mostly put them in buckets and that's the ones they cook to eat before they go home.

Also, they mostly do the sharing in the bush there 90% of the time. They'll probably close at 11 PM. If you're married and in the city, you'll send someone to go take yours and dry it for you, package it, and send to the city or you just tell them to have it for themselves.

If you're so broke, you tell them to sell it and send you the money.

I hope this helps. I have given you more answer than you requested.

1 Like

Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by jetguy(m): 7:57am On Mar 23
These fresh fish can smell eeeh 😕
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by pargelenis(m): 8:09am On Mar 23
Wonderful
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by Forumobserver12(m): 8:21am On Mar 23
This is the kind of FESTIVAL I love to attend, at least I won't come back home empty handed...May God bless good people of River state...
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by Moneyboyz: 8:30am On Mar 23
How successful you are depends on your location in Nigeria, as you dey complain so no light some people have light at least 20 hours a day in Nigeria.

Food? God to the north.
Fish? Go to east, ondo and Lagos, live along the coastline and you will never go hungry.

Meat? Stay close to reserve Forrest. Lots of game out there.

The list goes on and on.
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by missjekyll: 8:37am On Mar 23
airsaylongcome:

Then you must not be eating a lot in Nigeria then. If you knew how crayfish is caught, you probably will never eat another crayfish meal again. Garri? Spread on the roadside

And thats good enough for you? Eating Crayfish made by people in their underwear and garri gathered from the road?
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by missjekyll: 8:39am On Mar 23
naija4life247:

No mind them, na three piece suits Dem supposed wear or three piece Sokoto, Buba, and Agbada

There's a very wide gap between underwear and three-piece suits. Don't be daft. Don't be dirty too
Re: Massive Fish Caught In Idu, ONELGA, Rivers State During Fishing Festival by missjekyll: 8:40am On Mar 23
candygist:

The dirty kpomo you eat in Lagos nko ?

You can have all the dirty kpomo you want. I m faraway from all that trash.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Price Of 33cl Coke/Pepsi In Nigeria Vs Other Countries. / Oh My! See The Cockroach Cake Someone Got For Her Party / Fonio: Could This Be A Cheaper Substitute For Rice? (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.