Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,981 members, 7,817,900 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:16 PM

For Nigeria To Really Develop And Grow We Need To Embrace Science - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / For Nigeria To Really Develop And Grow We Need To Embrace Science (788 Views)

To Really Understand Igbo People, Read This Article. / 14m Households To Embrace Cooking Gas In Next 5 Years, Says Osinbajo / Herdsmen Express Readiness To Embrace Ranching (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: For Nigeria To Really Develop And Grow We Need To Embrace Science by Gerrard59(m): 8:05pm On Mar 23
GodHimself:
What’s the top thing you need right now, to make this happen faster?

Money. Like I mentioned, one of the reasons African nations aren't major players in the field of research and development is because we are the nadir of the Maslow Hierarchy of Needs. One needs to chop and belly full before embarking on certain projects.

I see the initiative as my form of philanthropy as results could lead to more insights into a particular topic with the aim of solving the challenges that topic presents. For instance, if we realise that top JAMB scorers who studied numerical courses went on to have lucrative careers compared to their humanities counterparts, we could invest in better mathematical pedagogy for the upcoming generation as we have evidence to support the claim that by knowing maths, one can have a flourishing career. Also, we would know why certain areas excel better at mathematics than others. How can those failing areas be improved? Again, it is because there is existing research to support the claim. Not anywhere belly face.

5 Likes

Re: For Nigeria To Really Develop And Grow We Need To Embrace Science by Trollronaldo: 8:13pm On Mar 23
NOwazobia:
Nothing can develop Nigeria until we reduce corruption to the very minimum.

I mean Nothing on earth, not even your science.

You guys tend to put the horse before the cart, largely due to your fantasy, and less rationalization of reality... 😂
science can reduce corruption
Re: For Nigeria To Really Develop And Grow We Need To Embrace Science by NOwazobia: 10:39pm On Mar 23
Trollronaldo:
science can reduce corruption
Keep living in your fantasies.

Nothing survives corruption, not even your science.

Infact, your science has failed to thrive in Nigeria because of corruption...
Re: For Nigeria To Really Develop And Grow We Need To Embrace Science by NOwazobia: 10:43pm On Mar 23
nearline:

Let me tell you something. Putting sheer greed aside, if you do your research well you will realise that the most corrupt people in this world are people who have nothing in their heads. They are not innovative, not creative and not particularly smart in any way. The may be rich partly because of bribe money or partly because somehow they hold a political or non-political position that pays them well but they don't have the ability to think like business people and people of science. Their own is to get the money however they can and just survive and live large if they can. It is these kind of people who hold on to money like it is their very hearts and cannot give to the needy or poor as a result because they just lack the ability to think of how to invest and make more money for themselves so they hold on to their corrupt source as much as they can. It is this kind of people that fail to see the usefulness and profitability of ideas brought to them by people who need financing for various innovations and businesses but end up shelling out money to acquire products of said innovation/business if it somehow manages to work for the idea/business owner.
Let me add a little bit of context for you. When I was a little boy I heard stories of how bread makers would attack themselves and their products/businesses with jazz/dark voodoo because one was having more sales than the other — basically because of competition. It went on like that for a time until new generation bread makers came (this part I noticed by myself). The new generation bread makers I’m sure thought of how they could effectively compete with the ones that have already been in the business which are the old generation bread makers. They introduced products that smelled better, looked better, had better textures, had varieties of tastes by adding different natural/artificial flavours and others like that. The result from what I observed was that their product were well accepted by consumers and they, in time, had the old generation bread makers go out of business. It made it obvious that the old generation bread makers, instead of competing with themselves by making products that differ slightly or even majorly from their competitors’, were all using the same formula for their products and resorted to unscrupulous means as way to beat their competitors in the market. So you see what I am trying to say here people who could think came up with better bread formulae and allowing better products to be made. This also allowed more bread makers to enter the bread market. All each business had to do was have its own bread formula that will give it a particular taste/smell/texture that will differentiate it from the competitors’ and also make people prefer it over the competitors’ product. This is a basic application of scientific knowledge and experimentation to create better (and sometimes new) products.
I will end by saying this. If you say I am putting the horse before the cart how then do you think corruption can be reduced in the country?
Learn to paragraph your post next time.

What you dish out up there are more fantasies with truth.

I want to believe you have done a good research to come to the conclusion of your first block of text, can you divulge some details to back your submission?

You should also tell us what you mean by empty head, or you mean people who are not into science? undecided
Re: For Nigeria To Really Develop And Grow We Need To Embrace Science by HellVictorinho6(m): 10:51pm On Mar 23
NOwazobia:

let him keep deceiving himself

how much do i get for solving maths or teaching physics or further maths or teaching people how to read?

at a point, they ask me 2 consider chemistry.

av considered it 4 a while but am dropping it now

ar no wan study am again sef

almost everything 4 dis life don tire me

hardship 2 much
Re: For Nigeria To Really Develop And Grow We Need To Embrace Science by DKM123: 11:00pm On Mar 23
HellVictorinho6:

how much do i get for solving maths or teaching physics or further maths or teaching people how to read?

hardship 2 much

Shatap dia!

This 40 year old expelled teacher Victor Omerigwe, a paedoph!le g@y rap!st and Ch!ld molester, resident Nairaland beggar and perpetual internet scammer also known as HellVictorinho6 aka TrustNone aka EbenezerTriumph aka keet13 aka MrsAminaBello aka abba190 and 40 other monikers....

I will keep coming for you until you are arrested for scouting for underaged kids on the internet to m0lest. You must pay for all your evul doings
Re: For Nigeria To Really Develop And Grow We Need To Embrace Science by Dundalk(m): 11:01pm On Mar 23
DKM123:

Shatap dia!

This 40 year old expelled teacher Victor Omerigwe, a paedoph!le g@y rap!st and Ch!ld molester, resident Nairaland beggar and perpetual internet scammer also known as HellVictorinho6 aka TrustNone aka EbenezerTriumph aka keet13 aka MrsAminaBello and 40 other monikers....

I will keep coming for you until you are arrested for scouting for underaged kids on the internet to m0lest. You must pay for all your evul doings
😁😁😁😁
Re: For Nigeria To Really Develop And Grow We Need To Embrace Science by HellVictorinho6(m): 11:07pm On Mar 23
NOwazobia:
Learn to paragraph your post next time.

What you dish out up there are more fantasies with truth.

I want to believe you have done a good research to come to the conclusion of your first block of text, can you divulge some details to back your submission?

You should also tell us what you mean by empty head, or you mean people who are not into science? undecided

nigeria has no business with being developed

u cant be treating me dis way and be expecting any form of development

am taking it from here

that thing u call the law

how may it help anything?

in fact, just bury me alive.

angry

but remember dis is more than a curse

the next president of dis country wont be beta than the present one

spits

anyhow i came

anyhow i go

spits again
Re: For Nigeria To Really Develop And Grow We Need To Embrace Science by HellVictorinho6(m): 11:13pm On Mar 23
DKM123:

Shatap dia!

This 40 year old expelled teacher Victor Omerigwe, a paedoph!le g@y rap!st and Ch!ld molester, resident Nairaland beggar and perpetual internet scammer also known as HellVictorinho6 aka TrustNone aka EbenezerTriumph aka keet13 aka MrsAminaBello and 40 other monikers....

itz actually 70 monikers and am 70 years old

send pics of ur overaged sef 4 me 2 draw

ok undecided
Re: For Nigeria To Really Develop And Grow We Need To Embrace Science by HellVictorinho6(m): 11:18pm On Mar 23
Dundalk:
😁😁😁😁

she 4got to add organ harvester undecided
Re: For Nigeria To Really Develop And Grow We Need To Embrace Science by DKM123: 11:19pm On Mar 23
HellVictorinho6:

itz actually 70 monikers and am 70 years old

send pics of ur overaged sef 4 me 2 draw

ok undecided

Hahaha! Victor Omerigwe, I am focusing on this your begg!ng account for this year.... You go hear whinnnn! Shebi Nairaland na your whole life? But for me na just 0.00000000001 percent of my leisure time. You better beg make them ban me. Infact cos of you I fit open more accounts sef. You think say I be all those other people wey you dey harass with your many monikers, then they back off? Naaaa! grin Craze meet craze! cheesy
Re: For Nigeria To Really Develop And Grow We Need To Embrace Science by HellVictorinho6(m): 11:24pm On Mar 23
DKM123:

Hahaha! I am focusing on this your begging account for this year.... You go hear whinnnn! Shebi Nairaland na your whole life? But for me na just 0.00000000001 percent of my leisure time. You better beg make them ban me. Infact cos of you I fit open more accounts sef. You think say I be all those other people wey you dey harass with your many monikers, then they back off? Naaaa! grin Craze meet craze! cheesy

oh! u admit u are crazy!

well, u see , am disappointed in my brain,

ar shud av known itz coming 2 dis

but that does not mean ar shud not ask

is there any value u possess dat i may benefit from?
Re: For Nigeria To Really Develop And Grow We Need To Embrace Science by Trollronaldo: 6:08am On Mar 24
NOwazobia:

Scientific methods can reduce corruption if adopted. You need to read that again and think about it

1 Like

Re: For Nigeria To Really Develop And Grow We Need To Embrace Science by Dundalk(m): 6:19am On Mar 24
HellVictorinho6:

she 4got to add organ harvester undecided

😁😁😁😁
Re: For Nigeria To Really Develop And Grow We Need To Embrace Science by sukkot: 7:42am On Mar 24
Konquest:

Yup! Sukkot, you made valid points there about high-tech agribusiness. The Netherlands (I'm sure you've visited there as well) is the biggest exporter of some agri-products globally within an arable landmass that is several times smaller than that of Nigeria for example. They've been able to do this through the use of agri-drones, automated tractors, greenhouses, aquaponics, and improved seedlings and the dairy sector based on biotechnology.

The key thing for Nigeria is to decentralize governance to the states and regions from the over-centralized government and NOT reinvent the wheel. Just copy other success stories globally and sustainable success will manifest. I've analysed Nigeria in relation to other developed countries from Asia for years now (since the 1990s) and this is the same conclusion I've arrived at. The other alternative would be to break into different independent countries and success will be easier in that decentralized state because the most successful countries of the world are mono-ethnic or nearly mono-ethnic. Yes, a lot of ethnic groups in Nigeria have very brilliant folks spread all over the world working in high tech, but because of the crab mentality and ethnic rivalries in the over overcentralized Nigeria, the true superpower potentials are NOT being optimally realized. Period.

very well said brother and yes I have been to Amsterdam in the past. Very well stated about the Dutch agro tech enterprises however I have to say the most successful country in the world is the most tribal. That’s America. They have the white tribe, African American, Hispanic and a million more coexisting in uniformity of goals . I don’t think it’s an issue of tribalism as much as it’s an issue of very weak institutions. Strong institutions like they have in America do not respect tribes. If you fail to pay your taxes regardless of status or tribe you are going to jail. That’s what strong institutions look like. Splintering up a country into tribal units can never work and will create many poor small countries. The only reason Nigeria is relevant is because of our numbers, once you remove that all the shine dissipates and places like Ghana will be the new superstars lol. It’s never good practice to cut a big man down into a midget , or in this case, several midgets lol

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: For Nigeria To Really Develop And Grow We Need To Embrace Science by sukkot: 7:45am On Mar 24
Bongadu:

Nigeria has everything including the resources and manpower but lacks information to do it
the information is there. These things are already being executed small scale
Re: For Nigeria To Really Develop And Grow We Need To Embrace Science by sukkot: 7:50am On Mar 24
nearline:

Yes. This is understandable. But imagine this scenario: Nigeria becomes a manufacturing hub like china. Able to make things at a cost comparable to or even lower than they do in china (without using slave labour 😁). This will make manufacturers in Africa forget about china immediately and start outsourcing their manufacturing Nigeria. China will continue to exist for other western countries, sure. But Nigeria will be closer to 53 other African countries who will continue to rely on her for its manufacturing. Win win. Like I said there is room for competition. Whatever will be manufactured in Nigeria in this scenario will arrive at the destination African country faster than whatever has to be shipped in from china.
you are making strong points but they are not reality though bro, they are fantasy. No way Africa is taking over from China in tech , not in the next 100 years. The continent needs to be rebuilt and retooled and rekitted with tech before it can even start thinking of exporting tech. It’s like a 1 day old baby telling you he wants to start running 😄
Re: For Nigeria To Really Develop And Grow We Need To Embrace Science by nearline(m): 7:57am On Mar 24
sukkot:
you are making strong points but they are not reality though bro, they are fantasy. No way Africa is taking over from China in tech , not in the next 100 years. The continent needs to be rebuilt and retooled and rekitted with tech before it can even start thinking of exporting tech. It’s like a 1 day old baby telling you he wants to start running 😄

I am not saying we can achieve it all now. What I meant, though not obvious, is an eventuality. Something that could happen in the future. Not now, obviously. Not even in the nearest future. It will take time like you said. But we need to start from somewhere.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: For Nigeria To Really Develop And Grow We Need To Embrace Science by nearline(m): 8:02am On Mar 24
HellVictorinho6:

hardship 2 much

I need to make you understand that I am not deceiving myself though it appears so. I obviously said from the very beginning that politics is being ignored here. This is not about politics. Even politically stable countries that have basic agricultural exports and not much else to offer will still not be very rich like technologically advanced countries even if they are not very poor.
Re: For Nigeria To Really Develop And Grow We Need To Embrace Science by HellVictorinho6(m): 8:14am On Mar 24
nearline:

I need to make you understand that I am not deceiving myself though it appears so. I obviously said from the very beginning that politics is being ignored here. This is not about politics. Even politically stable countries that have basic agricultural exports and not much else to offer will still not be very rich like technologically advanced countries even if they are not very poor.

Politics produces the government everywhere.

Itz the kind of politics embraced that determines how far science can go.
Re: For Nigeria To Really Develop And Grow We Need To Embrace Science by sukkot: 9:06am On Mar 24
nearline:

I am not saying we can achieve it all now. What I meant, though not obvious, is an eventuality. Something that could happen in the future. Not now, obviously. Not even in the nearest future. It will take time like you said. But we need to start from somewhere.
ok I see where you are coming from. It’s a great point. We need leaders with foresight and continuity to execute. Current demonic leaders we have will get in there and demolish what previous guy did 🤣 mad people everywhere bro. Ndi ala. awon werey

1 Like

Re: For Nigeria To Really Develop And Grow We Need To Embrace Science by NOwazobia: 9:59am On Mar 24
Trollronaldo:
Scientific methods can reduce corruption if adopted. You need to read that again and think about it
There is absolutely nothing to think about, dude.
Re: For Nigeria To Really Develop And Grow We Need To Embrace Science by NOwazobia: 10:09am On Mar 24
HellVictorinho6:

hardship 2 much

This is one of the reason why we have been unable to defeat corruption.

The real problem is staring at us in the face, someone is still out there fantasizing about science as a solution to corruption.

He couldn't even come up a sound scientific blue print as a solution to corruption.

Telling me that those who are corrupt are those with empty head, when in this same country we have seen science lectures abusing their offices.

Doctors illegally selling patients kidney, or swapping other people's child for sale.

Engineers inflating numbers to contracts...

Another will come and tell me is because we are not producing enough, or we are importing more than we exporting.

But they forgot that the little we are generating from the little export is being swallowed by a few who call themselves office holders.

Billions and trillion unaccounted for...

Well, let them fantasies while the country burns under the flame of corruption.

By the time they wake from their fantasies, not even one semi standard hospital will be available in the country... undecided
Re: For Nigeria To Really Develop And Grow We Need To Embrace Science by Trollronaldo: 10:20am On Mar 24
NOwazobia:
There is absolutely nothing to think about, dude.
Maybe it's because you are not scientifically-minded enough to think about how science can help reduce corruption
Re: For Nigeria To Really Develop And Grow We Need To Embrace Science by nearline(m): 11:34am On Mar 24
nearline:

The truth is our government has now failed us. This is why I decided to exclude the political aspect from this post even though it has become obvious that that is not totally ignorable. The point here now is to see what we as citizens can do to help the country. As bad as it is right now in the country there are many billionaires in this country. Most of them live really quiet lives. These category of people can help one way or another. If the government cannot handle implementing and managing infrastructure, like the industrial estates you have mentioned for example, for her people then any aspect of that infrastructure that is legal to be privately owned can be taken up by capable individuals and built and made to work for the people. It is not like they will be doing it for free. To bring a little bit more of politics in to this we also need many politicians with serious self discipline sponsored (or not) by business moguls just like them that want what is best for this country to come up and fight for the rest of us on the political front. That will help a lot too. In fact that is needed. Politics is not child's play. We all know that. But we need people who are ready to go there to do what is best for us. And I must also mention that those set of individuals must not go alone as their enemies are many — more than they can count. Their opponents operate as a team so the ones who will go into politics to fight for the masses must also operate as a more formidable team. We need to face this reality. A man with a great vision is not nearly enough to change anything.

HellVictorinho6 and NOwazobia perhaps you should take a look at one of my replies to this topic. It focuses a bit on the political side of things. I should also mention that this topic explicitly puts aside the political aspect of the country if you take a good look at the first post. And from the way you two are talking it shows how really pessimistic you are. Fine we have serious political problems in the country but is shunning every potential solution the way to solve it. Businesses still run, allowing the country to thrive. But what happens if none of those businesses are running at all because the owners choose not to run them again for non-political and non-economical reasons? How then will the country have this little growth we have right now? Yes we have political problems and that also needs to be attended to. That is a fact. But this topic is not focusing on that.

Also, about corruption. It will always be a thing but can be made to reduce.

Businesspeople will always inflate contract costs when they can. It is the job of their clients to be smart and make the decision that they believe is best for them.
Re: For Nigeria To Really Develop And Grow We Need To Embrace Science by 7lives: 12:18pm On Mar 24
OneCandleAway:
The black man excels mostly in the arts.

Singing, dancing, then athletics.

When it comes to critical thinking, he is behind (few exceptions are obviously available but majority are guilty and overwhelm the few )

Black man loves too much enjoyment and also have excuse in religion.
The Bible said a thousand years is like a day before God, and black man still believes that God created the world in seven days.
Black man can't think this really makes me sad.
The reason why other races of human are doing well is due to their level of intelligence.
This continent needs thinkers, especially mathematicians and engineers, where are they?.
Okay black man is dumb, is this why we don't know how to produce foods that we eat again?.
Africa was never hungry before the coming of white man, so what exactly happened?.
Half of West Africa is hungry as am typing this, Nigerians blame Tinubu who are we going to blame for the hunger in the remaining west African countries?.
Black man wants easy life and easy ways out of every challenges.
Unfortunately, there are no easy ways.
There have never been and there will never be.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: For Nigeria To Really Develop And Grow We Need To Embrace Science by 7lives: 12:33pm On Mar 24
@ Gerrard 59, you've said it all.
Thanks God bless you.
Re: For Nigeria To Really Develop And Grow We Need To Embrace Science by 7lives: 12:54pm On Mar 24
NOwazobia:
Nothing can develop Nigeria until we reduce corruption to the very minimum.

I mean Nothing on earth, not even your science.

You guys tend to put the horse before the cart, largely due to your fantasy, and less rationalization of reality... 😂

We are talking thick skulls not understanding mathematics, you're talking corruption.
If this country is full of inventors, who will have time for nonsense?.
You better go and understand the relationship between the first class and the remaining classes.
The first class are the inventors, financed and bankrolled by the remaining classes.
It's a win win for all of them as everyone gets paid.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: For Nigeria To Really Develop And Grow We Need To Embrace Science by HellVictorinho6(m): 1:35pm On Mar 24
nearline:

HellVictorinho6 and NOwazobia perhaps you should take a look at one of my replies to this topic. It focuses a bit on the political side of things. I should also mention that this topic explicitly puts aside the political aspect of the country if you take a good look at the first post. And from the way you two are talking it shows how really pessimistic you are. Fine we have serious political problems in the country but is shunning every potential solution the way to solve it. Businesses still run, allowing the country to thrive. But what happens if none of those businesses are running at all because the owners choose not to run them again for non-political and non-economical reasons? How then will the country have this little growth we have right now? Yes we have political problems and that also needs to be attended to. That is a fact. But this topic is not focusing on that.

Also, about corruption. It will always be a thing but can be made to reduce.

Businesspeople will always inflate contract costs when they can. It is the job of their clients to be smart and make the decision that they believe is best for them.

National development is not when the government does nothing 2wards that.

As in, no business strategy can overcome the impact of a useless government on the economy.
Re: For Nigeria To Really Develop And Grow We Need To Embrace Science by HellVictorinho6(m): 1:39pm On Mar 24
7lives:

Black man loves too much enjoyment and also have excuse in religion.
The Bible said a thousand years is like a day before God, and black man still believes that God created the world in seven days.
Black man can't think this really makes me sad.
The reason why other races of human are doing well is due to their level of intelligence.
This continent needs thinkers, especially mathematicians and engineers, where are they?.
Okay black man is dumb, is this why we don't know how to produce foods that we eat again?.
Africa was never hungry before the coming of white man, so what exactly happened?.
Half of West Africa is hungry as am typing this, Nigerians blame Tinubu who are we going to blame for the hunger in the remaining west African countries?.
Black man wants easy life and easy ways out of every challenges.
Unfortunately, there are no easy ways.
There have never been and there will never be.

Sumhow,

People like dis must appear,

Ride on,

Lez see where dis takes u to.
Re: For Nigeria To Really Develop And Grow We Need To Embrace Science by HellVictorinho6(m): 1:41pm On Mar 24
7lives:

We are talking thick skulls not understanding mathematics, you're talking corruption.
If this country is full of inventors, who will have time for nonsense?.
You better go and understand the relationship between the first class and the remaining classes.
The first class are the inventors, financed and bankrolled by the remaining classes.
It's a win win for all of them as everyone gets paid.

Understand urself first
Re: For Nigeria To Really Develop And Grow We Need To Embrace Science by HellVictorinho6(m): 1:48pm On Mar 24
Trollronaldo:
Maybe it's because you are not scientifically-minded enough to think about how science can help reduce corruption

Science cant do shit except u are permitted/allowed to apply it there

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Chief Dan Orbih Rejects Membership Of Edo Pdp Campaign Council / What's Good For The Goose: / Help With A Project From Usa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.