Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,179 members, 7,811,440 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:42 AM

Obasanjo Visits Alex Otti In Abia, Hails Him On Pension Law Repeal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Visits Alex Otti In Abia, Hails Him On Pension Law Repeal (22027 Views)

US Officials Pay Working Visit To Governor Alex Otti In Abia (Pictures) / Alex Otti In A Picture With Tinubu Portrait / Obasanjo Visits Emeka Anyaoku At His Residence In Anambra (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo Visits Alex Otti In Abia, Hails Him On Pension Law Repeal by versenewsonline(m): 11:28am On Mar 23
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has commended Abia State Governor, Alex Otti, for repealing the law that allowed former governors and their deputies to collect pensions.

He admonished other state governors to emulate Otti to reduce the cost of governance.

The former President spoke during a courtesy visit to Otti at the Governor’s country home in Nvosi, Isialangwa South Local Government Area.

He congratulated the Governor for ending the pension to former governors and former deputy governors which he described as daylight robbery.

The pension scheme for former governor here is atrocious, it’s like daylight robbery because it allows them to have a house in Abuja and elsewhere and cart away with whatever they feel like carting away yet the pension for ordinary people is unpaid, what sort of leadership is that?

And you came and you said there will be an end to that rascality. I congratulate you and I say to you that I hope that some of your colleagues will follow in your footsteps. You have started but you should never be tired.

“You will be discouraged, you will be abused, you will be called names but if we have one-third of our states doing what should be done this country will be a different country and you are doing what should be done
,” Obasanjo said.

The former President, who passed a vote of confidence on Otti, acknowledging his developmental strides which have restored public confidence in the government, urged him to pay more attention to infrastructure, describing the people of Abia State as enterprising.

“I will urge you that you pay adequate attention to infrastructure because if you give infrastructure and you give the type of leadership you are giving now, the people of this state have nothing to worry about because they are enterprising on their own.”

Otti thanked the former President for commending him on the repeal of the pension law and assured him that his administration was focused on providing infrastructure for the people of the state.

“There is not much we can do if we don’t focus on infrastructure and part of infrastructure is power. In fact it is the most important infrastructure for industrialisation, production, manufacturing and even small and medium-scale enterprises.

“So, I want to also thank you for supporting our decision to repeal the pension law for former governors and former deputy governors. I had said yesterday as I signed the bill into law that I strongly believe that leadership is stewardship and if you come to serve the people, you can’t at the same time be fleecing the people,” Otti said.

The Abia State House of Assembly on Tuesday passed into law, H.A.B 11: A Bill for a ‘Law to Repeal The Abia State Governors & Deputy Governors Pensions Law No 4 of 2001 and for other Matters Connected Therewith’ sponsored by the Majority Leader and member representing Arochukwu State Constituency Okoro Uchenna Kalu.

The passage of the bill followed its first and second readings, the consideration by the committee of the whole before its 3rd reading during Tuesday’s plenary at the hallowed chamber.

Following the passage of the Bill by the lawmakers, Governor Otti on Thursday signed it into law.

https://www.channelstv.com/2024/03/22/obasanjo-hails-otti-on-pension-law-repeal-wants-other-govs-to-emulate-him/

50 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Visits Alex Otti In Abia, Hails Him On Pension Law Repeal by hisgrace090: 11:36am On Mar 23
Nigerian Shylock politicians are something else, and needed to be urgently curtailed at all cost.
This wicked guys spent Abia state 24yrs looting the state dry without any atom of mercy and there after come back to demand for pension when the people of the state are in hunger.

It's a pitiable situation the type of politicians many state are parading in Nigeria as a country.

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Visits Alex Otti In Abia, Hails Him On Pension Law Repeal by yarimo(m): 12:03pm On Mar 23
Nothing meaningful in that meeting, ALEX OTTI want to snap pictures only undecided

35 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Visits Alex Otti In Abia, Hails Him On Pension Law Repeal by Felabrity: 2:10pm On Mar 23
Wetin other governors dey do ffs?

All northern governors, Imo, ebony, kogi, osun, ekiti

Na only looting the governors sabi

72 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Visits Alex Otti In Abia, Hails Him On Pension Law Repeal by edlion57(m): 2:10pm On Mar 23
These are men with good intentions.Obj isn't perfect but he is better than what we have now by millions times

171 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Visits Alex Otti In Abia, Hails Him On Pension Law Repeal by jubrilELsudan: 2:10pm On Mar 23
ODE

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Visits Alex Otti In Abia, Hails Him On Pension Law Repeal by edlion57(m): 2:10pm On Mar 23
yarimo:
Nothing meaningful in that meeting, ALEX OTTI want to snap pictures only undecided
They have achieved what nobody in ur village can achieve...when ur master finish with u ..that ur 30k will be totally useless

154 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Visits Alex Otti In Abia, Hails Him On Pension Law Repeal by Martinsmine(m): 2:11pm On Mar 23
I will support OTTI 500times.. he is a good man

86 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Visits Alex Otti In Abia, Hails Him On Pension Law Repeal by DIVINEEVIDENCE: 2:12pm On Mar 23
Obasanjo was not the best in his time and age.

But the few hopeless bunch of presidents we've had after him have forced me to love him and rank him as one of the finest specimens of our national politics.

How this man still keeps fit and agile after all these years shows a remarkable and admirable sense of discipline.

Thank you Otti for repealing that law that allotted humongous benefits to political hoodlums who had already fed fat on the commonwealth of Abia for years.

May a hopeless House of Assembly never arise to amend that law and reopen the conduit of undeserved pension to looters of Abia.

By signing this bill, you have knowingly conceded your pension as governor even when you are yet to complete your first year in office.

I love you Man (no homo.)

73 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Visits Alex Otti In Abia, Hails Him On Pension Law Repeal by broadman20: 2:12pm On Mar 23
Yerimo go and kpai.

We have your casket ready already.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Visits Alex Otti In Abia, Hails Him On Pension Law Repeal by Obakoolex(m): 2:13pm On Mar 23
undecided Nigerian politician see more clearly and become saints after leaving the office.

Obasanjo should reach out to Tinubu also to stop pension for former Presidents and Vice, let see if baba is actually serious.

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Visits Alex Otti In Abia, Hails Him On Pension Law Repeal by id4sho(m): 2:13pm On Mar 23
tongue
Re: Obasanjo Visits Alex Otti In Abia, Hails Him On Pension Law Repeal by Jubrilv(m): 2:13pm On Mar 23
Initial gra gra

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Visits Alex Otti In Abia, Hails Him On Pension Law Repeal by broadman20: 2:14pm On Mar 23
yarimo:

We have built a casket for you already in Abia, so that anyday you kpai because of Abia issue, there will not be any issues taking you down.

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Visits Alex Otti In Abia, Hails Him On Pension Law Repeal by Kingpele(m): 2:14pm On Mar 23
This is one thing the agbado master can't even concieve..u can't be surprised if tinubu is still collecting pension money from lagos state even as a serving president of the country....but he will always plead with his zombies to suffer now and enjoy in future without any form of sacrifice....one borehole will require hundred and something million to get it done and is in the budget....people who can reason well in this country is in minority...leadership by example is the best form of leadership...otti will be affected by this law when he becomes ex governor but he knew that a former governor can't be too poor to takecare of his needs till death

22 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Visits Alex Otti In Abia, Hails Him On Pension Law Repeal by Korectmann: 2:14pm On Mar 23
Can Sanwo Olu do this in Lagos and stop Tinubu from fleecing Lagos people?

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Visits Alex Otti In Abia, Hails Him On Pension Law Repeal by sharpchap: 2:14pm On Mar 23
Alex Otti God bless you.

12 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Visits Alex Otti In Abia, Hails Him On Pension Law Repeal by nedekid: 2:15pm On Mar 23
Nice one for the governor.
Baba Obj, a Pan African and great Nigerian.

9 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Visits Alex Otti In Abia, Hails Him On Pension Law Repeal by MeaslesMumpsRub: 2:15pm On Mar 23
Obasanjo is an Igbo Man.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Visits Alex Otti In Abia, Hails Him On Pension Law Repeal by AL1ENWARE(m): 2:15pm On Mar 23
Why is OBJ concerning himself with States affair. Does he want to kill himself, after all he had done to save Nigeria in his administration.

On the other hand, any Sportybet player reading this.... Please in the link below I need to know if I win or lose that Sportybet match ? Help me make it makes sense.

https://www.nairaland.com/8039167/did-win-lose-sportybet-me

Thank you.
Re: Obasanjo Visits Alex Otti In Abia, Hails Him On Pension Law Repeal by Ekaette1621990: 2:15pm On Mar 23
Alex Otti is from Eket LGA in Akwa Ibom state.

Abians can never have a good governor that is from Abia state .
Anyway I laugh in Swahili 😂😂😂😂😂😂

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Visits Alex Otti In Abia, Hails Him On Pension Law Repeal by MasterJayJay: 2:16pm On Mar 23
Tinubu was the first gov to sign such law before others started to copy him.

Obi can boast that he has never received kobo from the state after he finished his tenure, but Tinubu cannot.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Visits Alex Otti In Abia, Hails Him On Pension Law Repeal by wifeesnatcher(m): 2:16pm On Mar 23
I hope obj is not still collecting pension and other benefit from FG because that baba and hypocrisy are 5&6

Na why they called him Igbo because the trademark of them is hypocrisy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Visits Alex Otti In Abia, Hails Him On Pension Law Repeal by Adamux: 2:18pm On Mar 23
Good one from Gov. Otti

All obnoxious pension laws should be repealed by various state legislatures.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Visits Alex Otti In Abia, Hails Him On Pension Law Repeal by SensualMan: 2:18pm On Mar 23
The only living yoruba legend. The Sage himself. During your remarkable tenure, Nigeria had high esteem. Nigeria took it's rightful place as a leader in the African continent. The economy was the fastest growing economy in Africa.

Then came the CORNmaster grin

CORNmaster has made his CORNtree people to be screaming Ebi n pawa ooo!
All those who voted the CORNmaster are screaming like Papa Deji below

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Visits Alex Otti In Abia, Hails Him On Pension Law Repeal by adioolayi(m): 2:18pm On Mar 23
Hope Baba Obasanjo go stop his as an ex-President.

5 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Visits Alex Otti In Abia, Hails Him On Pension Law Repeal by Dpharisee: 2:19pm On Mar 23
Alex Otti is bringing a new dimension to leadership 👏
The shamelessness of those former Governors receiving outrageous pensions and also constituency allowance as Senators is wicked because they all left backlog of workers pensions unpaid during their tenures

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Visits Alex Otti In Abia, Hails Him On Pension Law Repeal by sonofsteven: 2:19pm On Mar 23
To be a president or a leader is to dedicate yourself to serve the people

We need to curtail the expenses in election and gathering votes, reduce their salaries very well

And this their pension too

Na why they can kill to gain power

If say I be governor or president

The kind law wey I go put for the citizens and especially politicians and ministers, hmmmm

The country will get better

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Visits Alex Otti In Abia, Hails Him On Pension Law Repeal by 004gist: 2:19pm On Mar 23
Take a look at the current happenings abia state and the positive news coming out of the state.
Important personalities visiting the state.
The level of investment taking place.

Then compare it with ikpeazu or TA orji the previous government. Then you know the problem is bad, corrupt leadership that's our problem

7 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Visits Alex Otti In Abia, Hails Him On Pension Law Repeal by Coronavirus1: 2:19pm On Mar 23
Commendable the people governor.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Photo Of Africa And Europe At Night From Space / Why Boko Haram Will Continue Attacks – Osinbajo / David Jang Meets Bishop Oyedepo Over His 2019 Presidential Ambition(pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.