Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,744 members, 7,827,749 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:13 PM

Boi: Bill For Law To Regulate Igbo Apprenticeship System Passes Second Reading - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boi: Bill For Law To Regulate Igbo Apprenticeship System Passes Second Reading (1140 Views)

Osinbajo: Igbo Apprenticeship Model Most Popular Way To Build Wealth / Minimum Wage Bill Passes Second Reading At Senate / Bill To Eradicate Age-induced Discrimination In Employment Passes Second Reading (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boi: Bill For Law To Regulate Igbo Apprenticeship System Passes Second Reading by lexylaw40: 5:49pm On Mar 23
Bill For Law To Regulate Igbo Apprenticeship System Passes Second Reading At Anambra State Assembly
absradiotv.comMar 23, 2024 7:59 AM
Bill For Law To Regulate Igbo Apprenticeship System Passes Second Reading At Anambra State Assembly
In a move aimed at regulating the traditional Igbo apprenticeship system, popularly known as “Igba boi,” a bill for a law to provide for its regulation and other related matters in Anambra State has passed its second reading at the State House of Assembly.

The bill seeks to establish a regulatory framework to govern the Igbo apprenticeship system and to ensure fair treatment of apprentices, establish minimum standards for training, provide mechanisms for dispute resolution, and establish Anambra State Igbo apprenticeship commission.

The bill also aims to formalize the relationship between mentors and apprentices, outlining rights and responsibilities for both parties.

Sponsored by the member representing Anaocha Constituency Two, Sir Ejike Okechukwu, Igbo apprenticeship system is an age long practice in southeastern Nigeria, where young individuals are placed under the mentorship of experienced artisans or business owners to serve over a period of time or to learn a trade and to be settled by the master, while those who learn trade pays some amount to the master.

The apprenticeship lasts for several years, during which the trainee gains practical knowledge and skills in their chosen field.

Leading debate on the general principles of the bill, Sir Ejike noted that the apprenticeship system has contributed significantly to entrepreneurship, employments and economic development in Anambra and South East generally, but began to go wane, due to issues of non-settlement by the master, exploitation by the ‘nwa boi’, lack of formal regulation, and inadequate protection for apprentices.

He noted that the regulation would not only safeguard the rights of apprentices, but also enhance the overall efficiency and effectiveness of the system, which will boost trade, commerce and employment.

Lending their voices to the bill, the member representing Ekwusigo constituency, Sir Ikenna Ofodeme his Onitsha North Constituency Two counterpart, Barrister Patrick Okafor and member representing Nnewi North Constituency, Honourable Augustine Ike, noted that the bill is apt, as it will address the role of ‘nwa boi’ and ‘oga’, stipulate number of years to serve and create room for concrete agreement .

On their parts, the member representing Njikoka Constituency One, Honourable Chidiebele Ibemeka, his Ihiala Constituency One counterpart, Chief Jude Ngobili and member representing Ogbaru Constituency one, Honourable Noble Igwe, posited that why youths desist from the system is because their rights and privileges are abused, affirming that the bill if passed into law will help put up checks and balances.

In their remarks, the member representing Anaocha Constituency One, Honourable Nkechi Ogbuefi, affirmed that the bill if passed will address the issue of get rich quick syndrome among youths, while Honourable Golden Iloh, representing Ihiala Constituency Two, called for speedy passage of the bill.

The Speaker of the Assembly, Right Honourable Somtochukwu Udeze thanked the sponsor of the bill, while the lawmakers supported it through a voice vote

Similarly, a bill for a law to establish the Anambra State Independent Electoral Commission and for connected purposes and a bill for a law to provide for the establishment of Commuters Manifest Scheme in Anambra and for related purposes, passed first reading.

The bills were sponsored by the Majority Leader of the House, Sir Ikenna Ofodeme and the Chief Whip, Chief Jude Ngobili respectively.

1 Like

Re: Boi: Bill For Law To Regulate Igbo Apprenticeship System Passes Second Reading by DevilsEqual(m): 5:58pm On Mar 23
No link, No source??

I am finally happy for Nonso and Onyeka, now they will have reason to smile again

1 Like

Re: Boi: Bill For Law To Regulate Igbo Apprenticeship System Passes Second Reading by Coly2012(m): 6:08pm On Mar 23
This law maker done put hand for were them non send am, this bill will spoil a lot of things for both Oga and boi.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boi: Bill For Law To Regulate Igbo Apprenticeship System Passes Second Reading by vowiski(m): 6:10pm On Mar 23
Very good bill

Those demonic oga that will allow boi to serve for 7 years and few months to freedom , them go set the boi up.. so he is sent away with nothing… Playing smart with the destinies of hardworking people. This law set to eliminate such crap ..

I too like Bini boys sha .. you waste him 7 years and you wan deh open your shop? cheesy

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boi: Bill For Law To Regulate Igbo Apprenticeship System Passes Second Reading by kalufelix(m): 6:23pm On Mar 23
The labour market in general needs serious regulations... Nigerians are enslaved in their own country by these private sectors..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boi: Bill For Law To Regulate Igbo Apprenticeship System Passes Second Reading by Straybullet: 7:16pm On Mar 23
Useless bill

The informal sector operates in its own unique way.

This is like a law to monitor how a man cleans his anus or brushes his teeth...

Thumbs DOWN
Re: Boi: Bill For Law To Regulate Igbo Apprenticeship System Passes Second Reading by RenaissanceGuy: 7:23pm On Mar 23
At the end of the day, if there's no enforcement system put in place, it'll be an exercise in futility. Law without enforcement = yeyeciousness
Re: Boi: Bill For Law To Regulate Igbo Apprenticeship System Passes Second Reading by mrvitalis(m): 7:30pm On Mar 23
Now this is wonderful the states need to provide apprenticeship fund too where people who have completed apprenticeship programs are allowed to take loans at very low interest rate and a break period of say 3 years
Re: Boi: Bill For Law To Regulate Igbo Apprenticeship System Passes Second Reading by Foreverly02: 7:32pm On Mar 23
Coly2012:
This law maker done put hand for were them non send am, this bill will spoil a lot of things for both Oga and boi.
True
Re: Boi: Bill For Law To Regulate Igbo Apprenticeship System Passes Second Reading by MadamExcellency: 8:03pm On Mar 23
Great initiative. Weldone Anambra lawmakers
Re: Boi: Bill For Law To Regulate Igbo Apprenticeship System Passes Second Reading by SuperOnyi: 8:53pm On Mar 23
shocked

If this is true, I 100% support this! While the apprenticeship system has created many millionaires, it has also destroyed a lot of people's dream. It has become an horrific bottomless pit where the dreams of innocent Igbo youth are sunk. How do I know? I was a victim.

Regulate Nwaboi apprenticeship system now!
Re: Boi: Bill For Law To Regulate Igbo Apprenticeship System Passes Second Reading by SuperOnyi: 8:56pm On Mar 23
Straybullet:
Useless bill

The informal sector operates in its own unique way.

This is like a law to monitor how a man cleans his anus or brushes his teeth...

Thumbs DOWN

shocked

It must be regulated! It has now become a damning beacon of death! If your son goes through what these young men have gone through, you won't be saying this nonsense.

When Biafra is actualized, Nwaboi apprenticeship system will be modernized and perfected — no more archaic rules to cage people's children and end up making them a menace to the society.
Re: Boi: Bill For Law To Regulate Igbo Apprenticeship System Passes Second Reading by SuperOnyi: 9:01pm On Mar 23
vowiski:
Very good bill

Those demonic oga that will allow boi to serve for 7 years and few months to freedom , them go set the boi up.. so he is sent away with nothing… Playing smart with the destinies of hardworking people. This law set to eliminate such crap ..

I too like Bini boys sha .. you waste him 7 years and you wan deh open your shop? cheesy

shocked

This is similar to what happened to me, that bastard wasted all my teenage years and got mad because I said I'm done with the physical and emotional abuse. This was after I found out that despite the hell I was passing through, there was no written agreement on my case. Can you imagine?

Would such a thing happen unnoticed if it was regulated?! This is why a lot of Igbo men are all over the world pushing drugs, Nwaboi apprenticeship system encourage people to be lovers of money — the real Igbo man died in 1970. We have forgotten who we are in the name of ikpata Ike... cry

I know they will attack me but this is the bitter truth.

1 Like

Re: Boi: Bill For Law To Regulate Igbo Apprenticeship System Passes Second Reading by Ofemannnu: 9:05pm On Mar 23
The Kwara people who started this system did not make any law.It still persists seamlessly till date.
It is all about trust.
Re: Boi: Bill For Law To Regulate Igbo Apprenticeship System Passes Second Reading by SuperOnyi: 9:05pm On Mar 23
Coly2012:

shocked

How exactly? angry

An evil system that has caged people's children and turned them into a menace — it was when I was an "Nwaboi" that knew what alcoholism, patronizing prostitute, and stealing was. Funny enough, I was castigated for not engaging deeply in any of these vices by my colleagues yet the stupid "oga" hated me for no reason.

I was treated like sh*t. It must be regulated!

1 Like

Re: Boi: Bill For Law To Regulate Igbo Apprenticeship System Passes Second Reading by Straybullet: 9:22pm On Mar 23
SuperOnyi:

shocked

It must be regulated! It has now become a damning beacon of death! If your son goes through what these young men have gone through, you won't be saying this nonsense.

When Biafra is actualized, Nwaboi apprenticeship system will be modernized and perfected — no more archaic rules to cage people's children and end up making them a menace to the society.

Who sent the nwaboi there?

Abi na by force?

This is just rubbish abeg
Re: Boi: Bill For Law To Regulate Igbo Apprenticeship System Passes Second Reading by Okete001(f): 9:39pm On Mar 23
Hehehe

Look at what’s important to them.

I have not even seen any of these people for to rule Nigeria.

The Agulu illiterate they brought was as useless as the letter P in psychology when he was a givernor of Anambra and yet his people want(ed) to force him as president on us.

If they had brought someone like Soludo, e for better but wouldn’t have still voted for him anyways
Re: Boi: Bill For Law To Regulate Igbo Apprenticeship System Passes Second Reading by SupremeSpecimen: 10:17pm On Mar 23
vowiski:
Very good bill

Rubbish

A bad person is a bad person. A horrible boss is a horrible boss. No be by law N wetin concern law

You cannot regulate morality. It hasn't happened in this lifetime and will never happen

Oya .... don't forget to work on Maid Maltreatment too Mr Supporter

(1) (Reply)

Can Goodluck Jonathan Lead This Naija? / Saddam Executed / Buhari/Prof Pat Utomi The Best Team For Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.