Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,672 members, 7,955,465 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:42 AM

What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3) (9895 Views)

What's Happening In Anambra, All the Markets Closed. / What's Happening On The Lagos Badagry Axis (2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3) by johnie: 4:30pm On Dec 21, 2011
. . . the traffic light at the Oniru junction.

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3) by johnie: 4:37pm On Dec 21, 2011
The last picture was taken at 7.35 a.m.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3) by johnie: 4:50pm On Dec 21, 2011
Read my comments of July 14 2010 and July 20 of 2010:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-367311.288.html#msg6417832
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3) by johnie: 10:03am On Dec 22, 2011
Lekki/ Epe Expressway Toll Plaza: Lagos govt violated our fundamental right to protest – Adegboruwa
On December 22, 2011 · In Law & Human Rights

By Dayo Benson
Ahead of Sunday’s commencement of toll collection at the Lekki/ Epe express toll plaza, residents who have not hidden their opposition to the toll collection, stage a peaceful protest Saturday. But they got more than what they bargained for as they were molested by suspected hired thugs and armed policemen.

Lagos lawyer and human rights activist, Mr Ebun Olu Adegboruwa, who had dragged Lagos State government and Lekki Concession Company to court over the issue spoke on the protest experience, the legal issue involved and his next line of action.

Excerpts.

What is your assessment of the situation unfolding over toll collection at the Lekki /Epe express toll plaza and How would you describe the experience as one of the arrow heads of Saturday protest?

My honest assessment of the unfolding situation on the Lekki/Epe road is that of total bewilderment. I am still shocked that th How would you describe the experience as one of the arrow heads of the protest e toll has actually commenced.

It seemed like a drama or a movie, something that is too bad to be true. My understanding so far has been the Lagos State Government has been a role model to other states of the Federation in many areas, especially that of respect for the rule of law, setting the pace of transparency in governance.

The Action Congress of Nigeria had offered its platform as the progressive alternative to the despotic tendencies of the Peoples’ Democratic Party. So I had always thought that the day ACN grabs power at the federal level, then democracy will take root firmly in Nigeria.

But with what I personally witnessed yesterday December 17, 2011, it is clear to me that the ACN is probably worse than any other government in Nigeria.

I mean we had a situation whereby we duly applied for police permit before the commencement of the protest, we met with relevant police officers responsible for the maintenance of law and order, from the DPO of Maroko Police Station even up to the Commissioner of Police and we were well assured that the police will offer protection for the peaceful protest.

And we kept our own side of the bargain, by just sitting on the sidewalk, without any violence or disruption. Suddenly armed policemen and hired thugs who came in danfo buses descended on us without any provocation at all. They were just beating us, manhandling us while the police were busy shooting live bullets and cannisters into the crowd of defenceless and armless civilians.

They chased us all into the Lekki Phase 1 Estate and indeed entered into the private estate and into our various homes. I was actually chased into a bush where I hid myself with some journalists. I then remembered the whole June 12 struggle when we were been chased all over town by hatchet men of the Abacha regime and I could not but weep inside. That I was experiencing all over again what I went through in the hands of military dictators.

The scenario that is unfolding now is that the government has ignited a fire that it can never quench, in Lagos State. This is because when lawlessness and brutality starts from the state, then it will go down to the citizens who will be using the state as example for impunity.

And to make it worse is that it is a government that is led by very learned people in law and knowledge. It is quite unfortunate. So what is happening in the Lekki area now is a state of general tension and apprehension, waiting for the day the gun powder will explode. And I foresee that this will not be too long.

Resident stage a peaceful protest ahead of the toll collection which began Sunday . would you say the protest achieved anything ?

Our protest has achieved a lot in the sense that it has drawn world attention to the exploitation of the Lagos State Government and its concessionaire, the Lekki Concession Company. This is a project that was conceived as a means of alleviating the stress and suffering of residents of the Lekki Epe axis but has turned out to be the very opposite of what it was advertised to achieve.

With the toll fee now in place, we will be spending more hours on the road, we will burn more fuel and we will lose a lot in terms of manpower and energy. The whole transaction was previously shrouded in mystery and secrecy.

Nobody knew exactly what was contained in the contract between Lagos State and LCC, for instance that under Clause 7.7.2 and 7.7.3 of the Contract, Lagos State is to build an alternative Coastal Road for those who may not want to pay toll fee.

There is no mention of Oniru Private Estate as an alternative route in the contract at all. So we have succeeded in demystifying the whole contract to the people.
The lies that were fed to the public by LCC we have succeeded in debunking them totally. So the effect of the protest may not be seen physically but surely we have gained a lot in terms of education and enlightenment of our people, and that is very crucial to us.

There were insinuations that those who attacked the protesters were sponsored . How do you react to this ?

Those that attacked us were thugs and members of the National Union of Road Transport Workers that were recruited by the Lagos State Government and LCC. This we confirmed because there was an open alliance between the police and the thugs.

The thugs were attacking journalists and protesters to the face of the police. It was quite an experience, to see armed thugs being used to disperse women and innocent elders, retired judges, retired generals and even sickly people amongst us.

It was the height of state terrorism and barbarism. I do not think that Adolf Hitler could have done more. There is no way that the Lagos State Government and LCC could deny any link in the attack.

The Lagos State Environmental Sanitation Task Force directly supervised the brutality, led by Chief Superintendent of Police who indeed ordered the police to shoot into the crowd. The police was assisting the thugs to shoot live bullets and tear gas on the protesters so that the thugs will have free hand to assault us.

You reportedly alleged that Governor Babatunde Fashola gave Lekki Concession Company LCC , go ahead to commence toll collection when a law suit which you instituted is pending before a Federal High Court . Could you put the legal issues involved in perspective and Is there any subsisting restraining order against Lagos State government and LCC on the issue?

On December 7, 2011, I filed an application for an order of injunction against the Lagos State Government and LCC at the Court of Appeal, Lagos. I served LCC through its lawyers, Aluko and Oyebode at Moloney Street, Lagos on December 7, at exactly 3.30 pm.

I served the Honourable Attorney-General of Lagos State at his office in Alausa, Ikeja on December 8, at exactly 9.40 am. With this done, what is expected in law was for the Lagos State Government and LCC to await the hearing and determination of the application for an order of injunction pending in the court of appeal.

That is what is meant by following due process and the rule of law. But the Lagos State Government went ahead with the collection of the toll fee, not withstanding the case pending in court. Now, when government cannot abide by the rule of law, then it is provoking a situation of complete anarchy and self rule.

Because citizens will use government as example of lawlessness and anarchy. For instance, after the toll fee collection started on December 18, thugs invaded the Oniru Private Estate and started collecting their own toll fee from motorists, citing the example of Governor Fashola on the main road.

I believe that the Court of Appeal is in a position to reverse the gross abuse of the rule of law by the Lagos State Government and LCC by stopping the toll fee collection, pending the determination of the appeal.

What I will do is to gather enough evidence of toll collection to show to the court of appeal that despite the application for injunction pending in the court of appeal, the Lagos State Government and LCC have gone ahead to be collecting toll fee.

What do you intend to do on the issue of the protesters who were brutalised while exercising their fundamental right ?

We will continue to demand for the release of all the protesters. They cannot be held in unlawful custody against their will. The rented thugs of Lagos State have been carrying out their own protest and rallies on the main road, disrupting vehicular movement. They have not been arrested or dispersed by the police.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/12/lekki-epe-expressway-toll-plaza-lagos-govt-violated-our-fundamental-right-to-protest-adegboruwa/

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3) by johnie: 10:21am On Dec 22, 2011
johnie:

Because citizens will use government as example of lawlessness and anarchy. For instance, after the toll fee collection started on December 18,  thugs invaded the Oniru Private Estate and started collecting their own toll fee from motorists, citing the example of Governor Fashola on the main road.

This is one of the fears I had about this 'alternative route.' Even though it is close to the Maroko police station, the route could become a haven for hoodlums who attack motorists in traffic, if care is not taken. Conversely, asking policemen to mount road blocks will also aggravate the traffic situation!
angry

johnie:

Because citizens will use government as example of lawlessness and anarchy.

Reminds of a sticker I used to see some year back with the inscription: "Don't cheat. The government hates competition."
grin
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3) by johnie: 11:25am On Dec 22, 2011
Tolling: Lagos govt action is subjudice – Agbakoba
On December 22, 2011 · In News
Tweet

By DAYO BENSON
LAGOS—Former Nigerian Bar Association, NBA, president, Mr. Olisa Agbakoba, SAN, has described the action of Lagos State government over tolling on Lekki-Epe road as subjudice since an action for stay of execution on the matter is pending before the Court of Appeal.

Agbakoba also challenged Governor Babatunde Fashola, SAN, to make a public pronouncement on whether or not the controversial toll plaza belongs to former Governor Bola Tinubu, just as he faulted government’s claim on existence of an alternative route.

The prominent human rights activist, who spoke yesterday, in Lagos, in an interview, also pointed out that since the concession agreement violated the constitutional right of movement without impediment, Fashola had not fulfilled his contractual obligation to the people of the state.

He said: “The matter is subjudice, it is in court. The very example the Lagos State Government gave for not obeying LASTMA (court) decision is that it is on appeal. That is why they should have obeyed this one. As far back as the case of Savalak in 1971, the supreme court decided that once an application for stay appeal is on notice to you, it stays your hands.

The moment you file a notice of appeal, and you file an application for stay and I serve you and you receive it, it is a stay. You take the law into your hands by continuing; it doesn’t mean that Adegboruwa is right. If you do what you want to do, the rule of law is that the res is gone. It is for the court to decide. So, that is unfortunate.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/12/tolling-lagos-govt-action-is-subjudice-agbakoba-2/
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3) by johnie: 1:45pm On Dec 22, 2011
Pictures taken on the "alternative" route in Oniru Private Estate on my home yesterday.

I took the first picture at 6:03 p.m.

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3) by johnie: 1:55pm On Dec 22, 2011
In front of Atlantic Beach Estate

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3) by johnie: 1:57pm On Dec 22, 2011

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3) by johnie: 2:03pm On Dec 22, 2011
On the other side of the road is the sandy patch adjacent to the ocean. This is where the coastal road is supposed to run through (from V/I to burst out to the expressway near Abraham Adesanya Estate through Okun Ajah).

Can you see those boys. They are going to "assist" that motorist whose vehicle seems to have got stuck in the sand. They call themselves to the scene with mobile phones when there is a "kill" so don't think there are just three or four of them.

These are ones I fear would turn on motorists in that traffic when the opportunity presents itself!

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3) by johnie: 2:07pm On Dec 22, 2011
Still on the same road.

Why has the traffic suddenly disappeared?

There were some flimsy speed breakers installed on the road.

By who?

I don't know. Maybe the residents of the street or those boys.

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3) by johnie: 2:12pm On Dec 22, 2011
pic 1: turning into Market Road (this sharp corner presents its own traffic challenge)
pic 2: one of the inner roads in the estate

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3) by johnie: 2:20pm On Dec 22, 2011

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3) by johnie: 2:22pm On Dec 22, 2011
Going to the expressway  through T.F. Kuboye Road

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3) by johnie: 2:35pm On Dec 22, 2011
Finally linking the expressway at Amazon Energy junction (Marwa Bus Stop) at 6:16 p.m.

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3) by johnie: 3:24pm On Dec 22, 2011
The Chevron Toll Plaza, less than ten minutes later.

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3) by DisGuy: 12:16am On Dec 23, 2011
wow 4x4 nation, there roads here are considerably good would have thought people will ditch the suvs

So toll road traffic, alternative road traffic
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3) by johnie: 12:14pm On Dec 29, 2011
I am alive, says man reported killed at Lekki toll gate protest
By Jude Isiguzo 10 hours 24 minutes ago

Eleven days after he was reportedly killed during a protest against toll collection on the 49- kilometre Lekki-Epe Expressway, Mr. Femi Ogunsanya yesterday said it was all a ruse.

Ogunsanya, 39, was reported to have been killed by thugs allegedly hired by the Lagos State government to stop the protest. The government denied this and persuaded the police to release those arrested.

But Ogunsanya said yesterday he is not only alive, but hale and hearty. He spoke at the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID), Panti, Yaba, Lagos Mainland.

According to him, the controversy thrown up by his alleged death informed the clarification

Ogunsanya , an employee of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) Plc, said though he was beaten and injured by the police, he was not shot.

On the allegation that his wife came on a radio station to confirm his death, he said: “The whole thing was a shock to me. I have no wife and have never been married before; so, I do not know who spoke on radio.”

Narrating how he was caught in the crisis, Ogunsanya, who incidentally wore the same shirt he was wearing on the day he was reported dead, said: “I was just coming to work that day and I could not get a direct bus to Ajah. So, I decided to break my journey. When I got to Lekki, I saw the chairman of the residents association and as I was exchanging greetings with him, I heard gunshots and decided to run for my dear life.

“But before I could run, some policemen and hoodlums held me and started beating me. That was the last I could remember because I passed out immediately. I was later rushed to the Accident and Emergency hospital at the toll gate. I was treated and I survived. I was not part of the protesters. I was on my way to work. I am the person in the photograph that was published in a newspaper, but you can see that I am not dead. I was shocked when I saw it.”

Speaking to The Nation, Lagos Police Command spokesman Samuel Jinadu said Ogunsanya spoke to prove to the public that nobody was killed in the protest.

Jinadu said: “The man who was allegedly killed is the person standing beside me. He is alive and healthy. You can see his legs; he was not shot in the leg or any other part of his body. The command was embarrassed by the report and that is why we brought him here for you to see.”

He said 18 persons were arrested during the protest for unlawful assembly since no permission was granted for the march by the Police.

The spokesman explained that Ogunsanya was one of those released with other suspects following Governor Babatunde Fashola’s plea.

Jinadu said:“We want to state categorically that although there was little fracas at the place, nobody was killed.”

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/31507-i-am-alive-says-man-reported-killed-at-lekki-toll-gate-protest.html
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3) by johnie: 12:49pm On Jan 04, 2012
Lekki toll gate: Residents sue Lagos govt, Police, LCC, others over alleged beating
On January 4, 2012 · In News
| 1:20 am

By INNOCENT ANABA
LAGOS — Lekki residents have asked a Federal High Court sitting in Lagos, to declare that the beating, shooting of live bullets and tear gas canisters and brutalisation of the residents of the Lekki-Epe axis and journalists at their gathering and rally at Admiralty Roundabout, Admiralty Circle Toll Plaza and Admiralty Way, Lekki, Lagos State on December 17, 2011, by the police and agents of the Lagos State Government constitutes a flagrant violation of their (residents) fundamental rights guaranteed under 1999 constitution and the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights.

The residents are also claiming N1billion as special, aggravated, punitive and general damages against the respondents, jointly and severally for their violation of the fundamental rights of the applicant, journalists and other residents of the Lekki-Epe axis.

Respondents in the suit are Lekki Concession Company Limited, LCC, Lagos State Government, Inspector-General of Police, Chief Sup of Police Hakeem Odumosu, Lagos Police Commissioner, African Development Bank and Mr Joseph Tihngang.

Mr Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa, a lawyer, who filed the suit in his personal capacity, also wants the court to declare that the arrest of journalists and residents of the Lekki-Epe axis at Admiralty Circle Plaza, Admiralty Round About and Admiralty Way, Lekki, Lagos on December 17, 2011, by respondents, their agents, servants, officers or otherwise howsoever in Lagos and Abuja respectively, at the instigation, prompting and direction of LCC and Lagos Government, constitutes a flagrant violation of their fundamental rights.

guaranteed under the 1999 constitution and African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights.

He is also praying the court to restraining the respondents, whether by themselves, their servants, agents, officers or otherwise howsoever from violating or further violating the fundamental rights of the applicant, journalists and other residents of the Lekki-Epe axis through unlawful invasion, arrest and detention.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/01/lekki-toll-gate-residents-sue-lagos-govt-police-lcc-others-over-alleged-beating/
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3) by johnie: 12:54pm On Jan 04, 2012
johnie:

Respondents in the suit are Lekki Concession Company Limited, LCC, Lagos State Government, Inspector-General of Police, Chief Sup of Police Hakeem Odumosu, Lagos Police Commissioner, African Development Bank and Mr Joseph Tihngang.

ADB ke? Isn't that an overkill?
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3) by babaeko1: 5:55pm On Jan 09, 2012
Hello Johnie,

Whats the daily commute now like, lets say from Ajah to the intersection with Falomo bridge.
Last time I done it about a year ago, takes me about an hour and can take almost 2hrs or more on a bad day.

Is it now on a cruizing level with the expressway, best time I ever done from phase 1 to Ajah is 20 mins on a sunday afternoon. Any advice on the alternative road or is it just not worth the hassle ?
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3) by johnie: 8:34am On Jan 20, 2012
Lekki-Epe Expressway Row: Lagos To Sue Tribune

The Lagos State Government says it is heading to court over what it calls unfounded reports on the Lekki-Epe Expressway crisis by one of the dailies, Nigerian Tribune.

The newspaper had carried an advertorial yesterday captioned: “Governor Fashola, practice what you preach! Unlike the Lekki Toll Protest, the Army has not brutalised any Lagosian. Don’t send police to brutalise Lekki protesters and turn around to condemn the deployment of troops who have brutalised no one.”

The advertorial brought into the fore the reports of the Sunday Tribune of 18 December, 2011 in which the newspaper wrote: “1 killed, many injured in Lekki Tollgate Protest.”

At a news conference on Wednesday, the Lagos State Government lamented that the newspaper had consistently painted the government black over the issue, even when nobody died during the protest.

The advertorial was signed by Adamu Maimagani, the Social Secretary of One Nigeria Group.

Speaking at the conference at the Government Secretariat, Alausa in Ikeja, Lagos, South West Nigeria, attended by the Commissioners for Information and Strategy Mr. Adeyemi Ibirogba, his Environment counterpart, Mr. Tunji Bello as well as the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Ade Ipaye said government was pissed off by the advertorial.

Ipaiye said government had no issues with any section of the Nigerian press, adding, “we are taking it serious with this newspaper because it has thrown professionalism into the winds.

“We’ll deal with the newspaper legally because it has deviated from ethics of journalism based on truth, fair comment and professionalism.”

According to Ipaye, there was a row during the Lekki-Epe protest but insisted that no one died during the protest as the man purported to have died reported at the police station to debunk the story.

The Attorney General stated that investigations by the police later revealed that the man that was alleged to have been killed was a 39-year old employee of Power Holding of Nigeria (PHCN), Mr. Femi Ogunsanya.

He argued that the national daily deliberately doctored the report and the photograph of the alleged protester that was killed in order to further aggravate the protest and drag the image of the government in the mud.

“The man was actually arrested by the police during the pandemonium but he was later released to Mr. Alaba Williams,” he stated.

Also speaking, Commissioner for the Environment, Bello said the report carried by the newspaper was malicious and that in line with journalistic ethics, the newspaper should have retracted the story by now.

He said the government would drag Tribune before the Nigeria Press Council over the report and then explore legal option to seek redress.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/01/18/lekki-epe-expressway-row-lagos-to-sue-tribune/
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3) by naptu2: 10:07am On Jan 20, 2012
Occupy Lekki Toll Gate

By Ebun-olu Adegboruwa
Fellow Patriots,

As a fall out to the fuel subsidy removal protests, Nigerians from all walks of life have been protesting and demanding the withdrawal of armed soldiers from all public places and indeed the streets of Lagos. In particular, our dear Governor, Mr. Babatunde Raji Fashola, SAN, issued a strong statement against the action of the federal government of Nigeria. He said Nigerians and Lagosians have a right to assemble and protest. I agree with the governor and I have this mornging filed a case in court to seek the withdrawal of armed soldiers from Lagos. I commend the governor, for standing up to defend the rights of the people, except that we have not all forgotten the events of December 17, 2011, when the same governnor unleashed thugs and armed policemen against us in Lekki, for daring to express our views against the tolling policy of his administration, which, in my humble view, is indeed worse than fuel subsidy removal. I believe that the time is now ripe for us to test the democratic credentials and the integrity of our dear governor.

Save Nigeria Group, Nigerian Action Alliance and indeed artists, nollywood, lawyers and students, have vowed to occupy the Gani Fawehinmi Freedom Park on Saturday, January 21, 2012, to test the democracy of Nigeria. I am fully in support of this. However, we do not have to go as far as Ojota. I call on all men and women of good conscience to join me to occupy the Lekki Admiralty Circle Toll Gate on Saturday, January 21, 2012, at 7.00 a, m. We will conduct ourselves peacefully as we did on December 17, 2012, in the exericse of our constitutional right to freely assembly and express our opposition to the economic wickedness represented in the tolling policy.

Please mobilise as many people as possible. Bring your mattresses, food, drinks and music systems. Nigeria is our country. If it is right to protest against fuel susbsidy removal, then it is legitimate to reject the toll fee.

Together we shall win.

Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa, Esq
http://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3073941731093&id=1340173454&refid=17&_ft_a=1340173454&_ft_tf=3073941731093&_ft_tpi=1340173454&_ft_ti=22&_ft_fth=66bc2e4519426a97&_ft_time_ft=1327050052&_ft_mf_objid=3073941731093
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3) by johnie: 3:11pm On Jan 20, 2012
baba_eko:

Hello Johnie,

Whats the daily commute now like, lets say from Ajah to the intersection with Falomo bridge.
Last time I done it about a year ago, takes me about an hour and can take almost 2hrs or more on a bad day.

Is it now on a cruizing level with the expressway, best time I ever done from phase 1 to Ajah is 20 mins on a sunday afternoon. Any advice on the alternative road or is it just not worth the hassle ?

I cannot give you the commute position from Ajah to Falomo as my journey is somewhere in between.

What I can tell you is that between Chevron and Falomo, traffic has eased tremendously compared to about a year ago.

The challenge within that space however is with the roundabouts. Vehicles tend to congregate at the round abouts causing some delays.

Other than that it is a smooth ride except if you decide to drive through the 'alternative' route where there are some choke points.

Talking about the other direction, (I.e. going home from Falomo to Ajah) the same pattern as the morning applied from Falomo to Chevron.

However from Chevron round about to Ajah is still as chaotic as it has ever been in not worse.

Between Chevron round about and Oluwanishola Estate (Eleganza) could take an hour in some instances!

Hope this is useful information.

Anyone with more information may also add.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3) by X2X(m): 7:48am On Jan 31, 2012
Lekki toll: Adegboruwa asks court to restrain Lagos govt, LCC

LAGOS -  Lagos lawyer, Mr Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa, has asked a Lagos State High Court sitting in Igbosere, to restrain Lekki Concession Company Limited, LCC and Lagos State Government from further collection of toll on the Lekki-Epe Expressway until the new Coastal road has been built by the state government.

Other defendants in the suit are the Lagos State Works Management Board; Attorney-general of Lagos State and Eti-Osa Local Government Area.

Adegboruwa in the suit is challenging the non compliance with the contract executed between Lagos State and LCC, the failure to build the alternative route called Coastal Road before the commencement of tolling on the road.

The new suit, according to him, is predicated on a fresh document obtained from the African Development Bank.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/01/lekki-toll-adegboruwa-asks-court-to-restrain-lagos-govt-lcc/

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3) by johnie: 9:57am On Jan 31, 2012
X-2-X, thanks for the update!
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3) by hercules07: 12:44pm On Jan 31, 2012
The guy should go and sit down jare, he should be fighting for reduction in the tolls not total cancellation.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3) by Honeycity(f): 12:49pm On Jan 31, 2012
hercules07:

The guy should go and sit down jare, he should be fighting for reduction in the tolls not total cancellation.
i think you are right, apparently those tolls have come to stay either we like it or not
cus the second toll by chevron is almost completed!
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3) by blank(f): 6:02pm On Jan 31, 2012
^^^^^

Nothing is impossible o. Shey we just heard that a court said Airtel should change its name back to Econet and restored them.

Same can be done for us o.

The kind of traffic that toll gate brings is better imagined than experienced.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3) by johnie: 5:43pm On Feb 23, 2012
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3) by X2X(m): 12:31am On Feb 26, 2012
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (3) by johnie: 5:06pm On Feb 27, 2012
LSDPC’s foray opens Lekki II for development
February 27, 2012 by Akinpelu Dada

The inauguration of the 90-unit Lagos State Development and Property Corporation’s luxury flats within the Lekki Peninsula Scheme II by Governor Babatunde Fashola on Tuesday is expected to spur other allottees there into action.

The vast expanse of land in Eti-Osa Local Government Area of Lagos State was set aside as a government housing scheme and a follow up to the highbrow Lekki Peninsula Phase I Scheme.

Many years after its creation and sale of plots to individual and corporate investors precipitate developers, most parts of the scheme have remained undeveloped despite many appeals and threat of revocation of right of occupancy by the state government due largely to the fact that the land is waterlogged.

However, LSDPC may have signalled to other plot owners that it is possible to erect modern structure there if the right things are done.

The LSDPC site covers an area of 1.760 hectares and was secured from the New Towns Development Authority, which created the scheme.

The Lekki Luxury Flats consists of 15 blocks of six flats. Each three-bedroom flat has a maid’s room attached to it.

In addition to the blocks of flats, provisions were made for ancillary facilities like the neighbourhood centre, which consists of a gym, pharmacy, hair dressing/barbing salon, supermarket, offices and meeting rooms, among others.

A recreational green area is reserved for residents’ use and there are walkways connecting the slots within the open car park to the blocks of flats.

Other infrastructure in the estate include paved roads, concrete drainage network, public power supply and back up generator to power the street lights and water supply; two boreholes and a water treatment plant.

The Managing Director, LSDPC, Mr. Biodun Oki, said in his welcome address during the inauguration, “This estate was conceived to mobilise development within this Lekki Scheme II, which for long remained undeveloped despite government’s efforts at providing infrastructure.

“As a long standing government agency in the built environment, we at LSDPC had in times past been active in opening up new towns and settlements. Despite our present commercial status, we still continue to play our role as a development agency. This estate remains one such credible evidence, as the conception was motivated not much by commercial consideration, but rather by necessity.”

Fashola said his administration was committed to addressing the social and economic challenges of affordable housing for Lagos residents.

The governor, who subsequently renamed the estate, the Elegushi Estate, in memory of the late Oba of Ikateland, Yekini Elegushi, said the commitment to build trust and belief in the people, compelled his administration to adopt a hybrid strategy for housing delivery.

According to him, this strategy consists not only of direct government construction for the underprivileged, but also schemes targeted at the middle and upper-middle class, where agencies like LSDPC will build and sell for profit and the profit will be used by the government to fund social housing for the vulnerable members of the society.

“The strategy has taken us to Epe, where we handed over housing units in the Sir Michael Otedola Housing Estate. It has taken us to Ijaiye/Ojokoro, where we have the Hon. Mustapha Housing Estate. It has taken us to Apapa and also to Igbogbo in Ikorodu and the Ikota Housing Scheme,” he said.

The governor, who said the construction of the estate took 12 months, added, “While the construction took place, 11 different companies worked here and about 4,000 skilled and unskilled workers were employed on this site. Those men and women earned their living here, while the construction lasted.

“I ask us to pause and imagine the number of people who depended on those 4,000 workers and then you will appreciate why Lagos is working.”

http://www.punchng.com/business/homes-property/lsdpcs-foray-opens-lekki-ii-for-development/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari To African Leaders: My Efforts To Stop Boko Haram / Nigeria Must Decide What It Wants From The Igbo / Biafra: We Are One – Ikpeazu Says As He Receives Northern Colleagues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.