Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,418 members, 7,812,233 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:24 AM

Igbo Traders In Kwara Protest High Taxation, Lock Shops - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo Traders In Kwara Protest High Taxation, Lock Shops (2010 Views)

Osun Youths Protest High Cost Of Living / Niger State Residents Protest High Cost Of Food, Living / President Buhari Fulfils His Promise To Igbo Traders In Aba (photos, Videos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Traders In Kwara Protest High Taxation, Lock Shops by helinues: 7:59am On Mar 24
SeeWahala:

Igbos live everywhere in the world and you ask who they love? undecided

Meanwhile your own people find it hard to even cross their village boundaries

How come everyone hates una?

We have 200+ tribes in Nigeria fcs

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Traders In Kwara Protest High Taxation, Lock Shops by StaffofOrayan(m): 7:59am On Mar 24
Beware of government
Re: Igbo Traders In Kwara Protest High Taxation, Lock Shops by SeeWahala: 8:06am On Mar 24
helinues:

How come everyone hates una?

We have 200+ tribes in Nigeria fcs

No no, bro. Its what we have all been trying to tell you for years now.

IT IS ALL IN YOUR . . . H E A D 🤪

helinues dump the hate. It will only give you acute medical conditions undecided
Re: Igbo Traders In Kwara Protest High Taxation, Lock Shops by kindlyheart: 8:12am On Mar 24
beerfraud:
They like making troubles anywhere they are
just like Fulani

Seun

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traders In Kwara Protest High Taxation, Lock Shops by Ibechris2: 8:23am On Mar 24
beerfraud:
How can you be making a daily sale of 20M and paying just between 12k and 17k as taxes annually?

Na u dey make the daily sales of 20million.

Envious fellow.

Go and open ur shop and let them tax u any how.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Traders In Kwara Protest High Taxation, Lock Shops by Kingluqman(m): 9:00am On Mar 24
beerfraud:
How can you be making a daily sale of 20M and paying just between 12k and 17k as taxes annually?
That's my point too... That's greediness naw

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traders In Kwara Protest High Taxation, Lock Shops by hakeemhakeem(m): 9:04am On Mar 24
EmeeNaka:
They will not take tax from Herdsmen that sells up to a billion naira worth of cows each day per state. They only concentrate on weak, to trample on them in the name of revenue generation.

You can start to sell cows too in the forest to avoid taxes

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Traders In Kwara Protest High Taxation, Lock Shops by Kingluqman(m): 9:07am On Mar 24
helinues:
The logical simple question is, are the Igbo the only non indigenes doing business in Kwara state?

How come they are the only one fighting about taxation? Are the locals and other non indigenes exempted from the new taxation?

This victim mentality should stop abeg
From what I understand, they are not exempted. They have been paying individually while the Igbo are paying their taxes collectively as an association. Inland Revenue only want the Igbos to be paying individually too, if they accept that, am sure the KWIR will accept to reduce the tax too. I just hope all the parties involved settle this amicably

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Traders In Kwara Protest High Taxation, Lock Shops by hakeemhakeem(m): 9:08am On Mar 24
Kloenboi:

I think igbos are the major high worth business owners in the state, it's obvious from the strike action
The issue is that those high worth hide under the association to pay less taxes

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Traders In Kwara Protest High Taxation, Lock Shops by 9japride(m): 9:21am On Mar 24
helinues:

Then tolerance should be applied bro .

It can't just be only Igbo business people complaining everywhere. How are others able to cope that they can't?
[color=#006600][/color]

You know very well that Igbos are very tolerant of their host communities.
I haven't heard in news that Igbos are causing problems anywhere.
Igbos must not wait for other tribes to speak up. Bro if you are a business man, you will always fight for the survival of your business. Leave other docile tribes to fight for themselves.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traders In Kwara Protest High Taxation, Lock Shops by aswani(m): 11:11am On Mar 24
beerfraud:

https://punchng.com/igbo-traders-in-kwara-protest-high-taxation-lock-shops/

This is why Ndigbo should be careful about agitating for Biafra without a clear secessionist plan that is amicable to both parties.

Ghana did a similar thing, even harsher conditions imposed actually, to Ndigbo to protect their local traders and got away with it.

Kwara State cannot do such because Ndigbo as fellow Nigerians have equal trading rights as Kwara indigenes. If the status quo changes, Kwara state can treat foreigners (i.e Biafrans) as they wish, even those that have lived amongst them over generations.

I understand this is targeted at high earners and not necessarily Ndigbo but my sentiments remain the same. A Nigerian break up filled with rancour will hurt Ndigbo traders the most.
Re: Igbo Traders In Kwara Protest High Taxation, Lock Shops by MyExpression(m): 12:11pm On Mar 24
helinues:

You think?

Nah, that thinking only exist in your head. They are not.

Now that they are not, how come they are the loudest about the new Kwara taxation?

You're making news out of it...a small dot in a circle...making this much noise.
Perhaps we should check again....are they really a small dot...even in Kwara circle?

Ignore them na...how many shops do they have, how many Kwara citizens buys stuff from them?
Let them lock their shops na...it's their loss.

But then you're making news out of it....and I ask again, do the Igbos really make up just a small fraction of the High networth traders in Kwara?
Re: Igbo Traders In Kwara Protest High Taxation, Lock Shops by Abufo: 12:36pm On Mar 24
beerfraud:

Shop rite Florin dey see that kind of turnover!!! If kwara tire dem.....let them come over to Aba...........the new enugu city and Eyimba economic city groundbreaking is coming up next quarter........space dey for our biz men........we move!!!

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traders In Kwara Protest High Taxation, Lock Shops by SWATMan: 12:51pm On Mar 24
helinues:

Are the Igbo the only non indigenes doing business in Kwara state? Are they the only one doing high worth business in Kwara state?

What's the total number of Igbo business men and women in Kwara state that the new taxation was targeted at them?

Please answer those questions

You are tribal bigot. I never knew you were from kwara state, I initially thought you were a Lagosian. Always jumping on every Igbo thread like a bus conductor looking for passengers. Shame on you olodo.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Traders In Kwara Protest High Taxation, Lock Shops by LOVEALAIGBO: 12:59pm On Mar 24
This sick obsession on anything IGBO by the Tinubu Yoruba/APC clique shows a deepseated feeling of inadequacy and fear! If it's not Igbo, it's Mazi Kanu....if it's not Mazi Kanu, it's IPOB.....If it's not IPOB, it's Peter Obi.....if it's not Peter Obi, it's trying to set ethnicities in the Niger-Delta/south-south against their Igbo neighbours! Really pathetic!

Just imagine the level of obsession that informed the OPs choice of moniker!
Re: Igbo Traders In Kwara Protest High Taxation, Lock Shops by LOVEALAIGBO: 1:02pm On Mar 24
SWATMan:

You are tribal bigot. I never knew you were from kwara state, I initially thought you were a Lagosian. Always jumping on every Igbo thread like a bus conductor looking for passengers. Shame on you olodo.

It's really sickening! His ENTIRE existence on nairaland is defined by his hatred for anything Igbo and trying to undermine Igbo political and economic interests! What a life!

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traders In Kwara Protest High Taxation, Lock Shops by Lifestone(m): 1:06pm On Mar 24
Kloenboi:

Kwara state went after the high worth business owners which were mostly igbos
Nope, there lots of more successful Yoruba businesses in Kwara. Tuyil pharmaceutical Profit in a month is more than what the entire businesses of Igbos in Kwara State profit combined. This is aside from companies like Kam wire, Peace pharmaceutical etc. These Yoruba businesses got their Tax assessment, negotiated with the Tax authority and moved on. But the Developers said the won't pay except on their terms.
I hope they haven't caused problems for themselves already.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Traders In Kwara Protest High Taxation, Lock Shops by Ngorbungor(m): 2:00pm On Mar 24
MyExpression:

You're making news out of it...a small dot in a circle...making this much noise.
Perhaps we should check again....are they really a small dot...even in Kwara circle?

Ignore them na...how many shops do they have, how many Kwara citizens buys stuff from them?
Let them lock their shops na...it's their loss.

But then you're making news out of it....and I ask again, do the Igbos really make up just a small fraction of the High networth traders in Kwara?

Mr man, if you are talking about high worth business men and businesses in general in kwara state give it to the Igbos, from Cosmetics, to Stationaries, to Electronics, to Building Materials, to Provisions, to Spare Parts and general goods and services. From Taiwo Oke down to Taiwo Isale, to Surulare, to Oja-Oba, to Post office down to Challenge, to Sawmill down to airport road, is it Babaoko or eyenkorin areas? with many areas i cant even remember their names Igbos business men and women are the big, bigger and the biggest, let's not even go to Offa or Omu-aran, or Jebba, or the Nupe speaking area of Kwara State?. No indigin or any other tribe's, i repeat No indigin or any other tribe's that come's close in those business sectors i highlighted.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Traders In Kwara Protest High Taxation, Lock Shops by Christlike01: 2:13pm On Mar 24
The main issue here is that our "audio Billionaires" are hiding under one yeye trade association to pay inappropriate tax to the KWSG and that's exactly what the government wants to put an end to.

Come to think of it,why is it that our "developers" are the only ones always being targeted everywhere they go?! The Ghanaians are jealous of their success,the South Africans ,the Chinese,the Yoruba,the Malaysians,etc, everyone is jealous of the Igbo! The shocking irony of it all is that when you check relevant human and economic development indices, Igbo are always lagging behind! For instance, majority of the blue chip companies listed on the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) are owned by non Igbo. The data recently released by the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) shows that the Igbo's region of South East is slightly better than the wartorn North East in terms of growths and developments! So,where is the 'jealous' noise coming from?!

This is not even difficult,pay up or lock up! How a group of morons think they can ever blackmail government to have their way is way beyond me! The sensible thing to do in this situation is to relocate back to Biafra but those demons that are chasing our "blodas" away from their ancestral land are still very active!
Re: Igbo Traders In Kwara Protest High Taxation, Lock Shops by Ngorbungor(m): 2:19pm On Mar 24
Abufo:

Shop rite Florin dey see that kind of turnover!!! If kwara tire dem.....let them come over to Aba...........the new enugu city and Eyimba economic city groundbreaking is coming up next quarter........space dey for our biz men........we move!!!

I've spent some years in that state, please give it to the Igbos, they are blessed people, their blessings is too glaring for others to see, that is why the state government want to tap into their wealth through tax. But let's say it as it is, where will the state get these taxes if not from this businesses, interms of economic activities what level is the state at? What is the state known for? Is the state a commercial center?, or industrial center? or oil and gas? or is the state into agric-business? For me i can't even point at any of those, so that's why they are looking frustrated.
Re: Igbo Traders In Kwara Protest High Taxation, Lock Shops by Ngorbungor(m): 2:26pm On Mar 24
Christlike01:
The main issue here is that our "audio Billionaires" are hiding under one yeye trade association to pay inappropriate tax to the KWSG and that's exactly what the government wants to put an end to.

Come to think of it,why is it that our "developers" are the only ones always being targeted everywhere they go?! The Ghanaians are jealous of their success,the South Africans ,the Chinese,the Yoruba,the Malaysians,etc, everyone is jealous of the Igbo! [b]The shocking irony of it all is that when you check relevant human and economic development indices, Igbo are always lagging behind! For instance, majority of the blue chip companies listed on the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) are owned by non Igbo. [/b]The data recently released by the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) shows that the Igbo's region of South East is slightly better than the wartorn North East in terms of growths and developments! So,where is the 'jealous' noise coming from?!

This is not even difficult,pay up or lock up! How a group of morons think they can ever blackmail government to have their way is way beyond me! The sensible thing to do in this situation is to relocate back to Biafra but those demons that are chasing our "blodas" away from their ancestral land are still very active!

Please stop lying, and can you list those Blue Chip companies and let is see who and who is on them.
Re: Igbo Traders In Kwara Protest High Taxation, Lock Shops by Bendeco2020: 2:39pm On Mar 24
helinues:
The logical simple question is, are the Igbo the only non indigenes doing business in Kwara state?

How come they are the only one fighting about taxation? Are the locals and other non indigenes exempted from the new taxation?

This victim mentality should stop abeg
Oga calm down, Igbo traders has also protested against high tax in East too.

The Igbo business men which are meant to be the majority in the market just protested against the Government not against the people of the state or the tribe.

Stop bringing tribal sentiments in everything. You reason somehow bro. You're not a woman, try to reason like a man. I pity your children because they will inherit this your bad blood
Re: Igbo Traders In Kwara Protest High Taxation, Lock Shops by Biglittlelois(f): 2:45pm On Mar 24
Ngorbungor:

Mr man, if you are talking about high worth business men and businesses in general in kwara state give it to the Igbos, from Cosmetics, to Stationaries, to Electronics, to Building Materials, to Provisions, to Spare Parts and general goods and services. From Taiwo Oke down to Taiwo Isale, to Surulare, to Oja-Oba, to Post office down to Challenge, to Sawmill down to airport road, is it Babaoko or eyenkorin areas? with many areas i cant even remember their names Igbos business men and women are the big, bigger and the biggest, let's not even go to Offa or Omu-aran, or Jebba, or the Nupe speaking area of Kwara State?. No indigin or any other tribe's, i repeat No indigin or any other tribe's that come's close in those business sectors i highlighted.

You don't know what you're talking about, calling out names of places and streets in Kwara doesn't mean you know anything about the state, I am from Kwara state, presently there, and I can clearly tell you Igbo doesn't own or have one tenth of what indigenes have, not even high brow or high end in anything, they only have little shops selling things that's all

From Peace pharmaceuticals, Tuyil, Kam-wire, Fem-tech electronics and gadgets, mart-rite, Royal and harmony fm and holdings, to Item-7 and different numerous hotels owned by Yorubas and indigenes, these are high end popular places most Kwarans know that does not belong to Igbos, so zip it with your falsehoods,

These people pay their tax with no issues, the reason Igbos are crying is because they usually collectively pay tax through their association, and KWIRS does not want that anymore, they are told to pay individually like others that's why they are wailing and vocal about it

And for your information, the igbos affected have closed their shops since last week, and no one bat an eyelid because of that, it is business as usual here, when they are tired, they'd on their own open shop, comply, and go about their business.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traders In Kwara Protest High Taxation, Lock Shops by Bridget95(f): 3:26pm On Mar 24
Putindbutt:
So ibos are also in illorin?. Do they also protest and lock their shops when their beers are destroyed in the core north?, why are they not flexing their muscles there?
it seems northerners are less tribalistic than sw .

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traders In Kwara Protest High Taxation, Lock Shops by Putindbutt: 3:38pm On Mar 24
Bridget95:
it seems northerners are less tribalistic than sw .
I agreed, that's why ibos cannot say a word when their beers are destroyed.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traders In Kwara Protest High Taxation, Lock Shops by Ngorbungor(m): 4:11pm On Mar 24
Biglittlelois:

You don't know what you're talking about, calling out names of places and streets in Kwara doesn't mean you know anything about the state, I am from Kwara state, presently there, and I can clearly tell you Igbo doesn't own or have one tenth of what indigenes have, not even high brow or high end in anything, they only have little shops selling things that's all

From Peace pharmaceuticals, Tuyil, Kam-wire, Fem-tech electronics and gadgets, mart-rite, Royal and harmony fm and holdings, to Item-7 and different numerous hotels owned by Yorubas and indigenes, these are high end popular places most Kwarans know that does not belong to Igbos, so zip it with your falsehoods,

These people pay their tax with no issues, the reason Igbos are crying is because they usually collectively pay tax through their association, and KWIRS does not want that anymore, they are told to pay individually like others that's why they are wailing and vocal about it

And for your information, the igbos affected have closed their shops since last week, and no one bat an eyelid because of that, it is business as usual here, when they are tired, they'd on their own open shop, comply, and go about their business.

Thank you from confirming my points, by mentioning 5 to 6 mushrooms companies, hotels and eateries means nothing is in that state, but i outlined sectors like Spare Parts, Electronics, Stationaries, Building Materials, Cosmetics etc which they dominate and can never be outperform or matched by any tribe in the hole state "Kwara State". Do you know why Igbos are not much in hospitality business in your state? Its because of your religion intolerance amongst the indigins.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traders In Kwara Protest High Taxation, Lock Shops by Bridget95(f): 4:13pm On Mar 24
Putindbutt:

I agreed, that's why ibos cannot say a word when their beers are destroyed.
so sw people don't sell beer in the north ?
Re: Igbo Traders In Kwara Protest High Taxation, Lock Shops by Putindbutt: 4:23pm On Mar 24
Bridget95:
so sw people don't sell beer in the north ?
I can't remember sw breaking the laws in the north like ibos.
Re: Igbo Traders In Kwara Protest High Taxation, Lock Shops by Christlike01: 4:42pm On Mar 24
Ngorbungor:

Please stop lying, and can you list those Blue Chip companies and let is see who and who is on them.

You're not even a bright kid! A smart person would have first visited the NSE's website to check out all the listed companies and their owners so as to debunk my claims but your own stupidity wouldn't allow you to do that. You instead chose to display your ignorance for all to see thereby making all the money your fada spent to sponsor your "education" a complete waste!

There are only five Dollar Billionaires in Nigeria as listed by Forbes,there is no single Igbo man or woman on the list. There are two (2) Hausa /Fulani and three (3) Yoruba - two male and one female. Believe it or not,Yoruba and Hausa/Fulani hold all the Aces when it comes to the Nigeria's commerce;Igbo are nothing but mere TRADERS.

Kiddo,asking me to "list those Blue chip companies",in all honesty, shows how dumb you are! You wont even get a further response from me. Now, crawl back into whatever hole you came out from and remain dumber than you're already there!
Re: Igbo Traders In Kwara Protest High Taxation, Lock Shops by chopnaira: 5:04pm On Mar 24
The typical noise makers.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

We Can Learn From Venezuela's 'PetroCaribe' Oil Export Deal / Black History Month / Help! Fashola Has Banned One Of Our Cultures: Owanbe Street Party.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.