Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,898 members, 7,866,431 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 05:22 PM

Should I Go Straight For Programming, Please Help - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Go Straight For Programming, Please Help (985 Views)

Which Should I Go For? 110k FG Pensionable Or 220k Contract Multinational / Offshore Engineering Or Safety Engineering Which Should I Go For? / How Do I Go About Obtaining Police Certificate In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Go Straight For Programming, Please Help by derickman: 4:34pm On Nov 15, 2011
Hi everyone. I really need your advise concerning my career.

I am very intellegent person and very promising. I finished secondary school this year with an outstanding result in both WAEC and NECO. I am 19 years, i started school late.
My family and i decided on petroleum engineering based on my performance however i love programming and i don't know how they will accept it because i wish to study it on my own.
Now my questions in regards to this are;

1. Is there any disadvantages of me learning it on my even though i study very fast.

2. Where should i start from, i was thinking on starting with web design and then proceed to javascript.

3. After mastering some programming language like python, java and php, can i do my certification at NIIT and how significant is the certificate interms of job oppurtunities.

4. Since i wont be going to the university, is this bad for me that i would not have a degree. Will this affect me in the future. We know the computer science course in this country is bad, should i just do the course and then proceed to programminmg 5 years later after graduating or i should go ahead with the programming now.

5. Should i rather go study petroleum engineering next year after my JAMB

Pls i need your help. I know my question is technical. All i just is a very good advise.

Thank u.
Re: Should I Go Straight For Programming, Please Help by yamakuza: 6:41pm On Nov 15, 2011
derickman:

My family and i decided on petroleum engineering based on my performance

why not Chem Engr?

however i love programming and i don't know how they will accept it because i wish to study it on my own.

ur business not theirs, unless they r paying. Then, u need to win their support/convince them.

Now my questions in regards to this are;

1. Is there any disadvantages of me learning it on my own even though i study very fast.
No

2. Where should i start from, i was thinking on starting with web design and then proceed to javascript.

ask in the Programming section.

3. After mastering some programming language like python, java and php, can i do my certification at NIIT
yes
and how significant is the certificate interms of job oppurtunities.
its good to have, but skills matter more.

4. Since i wont be going to the university, is this bad for me that i would not have a degree.
what happened to Pet. Engr?

Will this affect me in the future.
yes

We know the computer science course in this country is bad, should i just do the course and then proceed to programminmg 5 years later after graduating or i should go ahead with the programming now.
start now

5. Should i rather go study petroleum engineering next year after my JAMB
study what you can. Develop yourself on the side.

Pls i need your help. I know my question is technical. All i just is a very good advise.

Thank u.

too long.
Re: Should I Go Straight For Programming, Please Help by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 5:33am On Nov 16, 2011
@OP make sure its what you want before going ahead to do it
Re: Should I Go Straight For Programming, Please Help by kokoA(m): 3:51pm On Nov 16, 2011
you can do both if you wish. Programming is open to everybody. Study the engineering in school, then go for programming classes in any reputable ICT centers. NIIT is cool.

As for the programming language, stick to one for now, JAVA is wonderful if you ask me. Best of luck!

(1) (Reply)

Get Your Personal Digital Cv Or Biography Website / Erm Certified Professional/associate Professional Onsite Exams In Nigeria / Working At The Security And Exchange Commission(sec)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.